Author Topic: Sim-related randomness  (Read 19543 times)

Chuckles_82

Sim-related randomness
« on: March 19, 2012, 11:48:38 PM »
I'm not sure if this thread is warranted or not, but I sometimes find that something I want to post clearly can't go in the Babble thread, but doesn't need an entire thread of it's own. It's not necessarily something new or funny, just random. Here could be a good spot for those things/thoughts. Mods feel free to move it elsewhere if there is somewhere better for it.

My thought that inspired this was:

I totally have to make a Fly Lady sim! I was reading my emails, and trying to find some inspiration to get on top of my messy household (depression has taken its toll again) and I saw the picture, and thought it would be very cool. For those unfamiliar, FLY lady (finally love yourself) teaches you to form habbits to get on top of CHAOS (can't have anyone over syndrome). If anyone is interested I will upload.

Clearly, her first trait will be 'neat'. They should totally add an 'organised' trait. She'd have that too if it were there.

Offline Katluvr

• Crazy Cat Lady - Origin ID: Katluvr23
  • Watcher
  • The shortest distance between two people is a hug.
Re: Sim-related randomness
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 11:28:11 AM »
I know I could sure use a FLY lady.  Besides being neat it sounds like she is nurturing and good.  :)  I would love it if you would share her in the Swap Shop!

I have suffered from depression for over 30 years now and although I can manage pretty well in most areas of my life, housework is not one of them.  It's like I expend so much energy trying to function professionally and socially that I just don't have any left over at the end of the day.  Although I wouldn't wish depression on anyone, I'm grateful to know I'm not alone.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:05:18 PM »
I have suffered with depression sine I was in my late teens,I am now 35. Knowing that I am not alone is such a great feeling.

I think the Fly lady should also be disciplined.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
Sim-related randomness
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 01:10:41 PM »
Don't feel alone, ladies. I've suffered from this since my teens...and I'm 65. I feel for you.

Offline Katluvr

• Crazy Cat Lady - Origin ID: Katluvr23
  • Watcher
  • The shortest distance between two people is a hug.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 01:43:02 PM »
Hugs to you all!  You are beautiful ladies and I feel so blessed to know you through this forum!

Leto85

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 05:15:21 PM »
First man on the hook here so it seems. If the topic is depression now I can just go with the flow.
I'll take an eye on the Swap Shop for now. Must been an interesting Sim you're going to upload chuckles.

Offline KirbyAndKat

• Believers Never Die.
  • Immortal
  • Sorry for constant avatar changing.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 05:39:59 PM »
  I don't know about depression, but I'm showing signs of anxiety issues.

I have to make a shape shifting sim..getting on topic. ;D

I tend to have loud opinions. So sorry. I got tons of issues, lol. I can also be found on Yahoo! Answers.
Click here to view the best dance crew: I.aM.Me

Kids Of Cherryblossom Drive: New Drama

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Chuckles_82

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 06:06:33 PM »
Ooh shapeshifting! Do you mean between life states, like ghost, mummy, imaginary friend etc?

Offline KirbyAndKat

• Believers Never Die.
  • Immortal
  • Sorry for constant avatar changing.
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 06:32:08 PM »
Ooh shapeshifting! Do you mean between life states, like ghost, mummy, imaginary friend etc?

Yes, forgot that :)

I tend to have loud opinions. So sorry. I got tons of issues, lol. I can also be found on Yahoo! Answers.
Click here to view the best dance crew: I.aM.Me

Kids Of Cherryblossom Drive: New Drama

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 11:30:55 AM »
I'm only fifteen, so I don't have nearly as much experience as most of you here, but I also suffer from depression. TS3 is actually something that helps me kinda escape from reality a bit and it cheers me up a lot. Again, it's always good to be reminded that we're not alone. :)

@Kirby - Gosh, I really want to make a sim that has all lifestates, too! Not possible to have them all actually have each lifestates' powers, though. There's always mods but I need to go easy with them because of my lack of memory. If I was to ever do that, though, I'd wait till we have all the EPs and therefore all the possible life states! :)

Leto85

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 01:56:49 PM »
It is indeed only possible with a mod but to combine all the occult traits, as they originally are called. Though I haven't seen one yet that supports the genie from Showtime so that will have to wait.

@Fez: 15 isn't to young for it as I know. Mine started when I was 15 so it is absolutely not weird or anything.
If you way to talk however, just pm my inbox. :)

loveSims

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 03:31:44 PM »
I also suffer from depression for close to thirty years now and the sims is wonderful therapy. If I don't feel like playing I read all the awesome stories on the forum. That always make me feel better. :)

Online Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 04:43:19 PM »
If I was to ever do that, though, I'd wait till we have all the EPs and therefore all the possible life states! :)

Even then it wouldn't be possible unless your Sim was half horse.  Unicorn is an occult.  Then again...they probably have a mod for that, too.  :P

TS3 is actually something that helps me kinda escape from reality a bit and it cheers me up a lot.

I also suffer from depression for close to thirty years now and the sims is wonderful therapy. If I don't feel like playing I read all the awesome stories on the forum. That always make me feel better. :)

Some things I've learned from experience on the subject:  while you can't access your subconscious directly, your conscious mind does have a direct impact on it.  Depression doesn't just happen...it's developed.  I learned that, while it's nowhere close to being easy, that depression can be undeveloped in the same fashion.  In fact, psychiatrists/psychologists attempt to do exactly that.

The way The Sims helps is by taking you out of the frustrating and stressful real world and placing you in a world that, on some level, is identical to yours (immersion).  A world that is easier, and filled with virtual people that you care about.  You know that when you want to achieve X, if you do Y you'll eventually succeed.  And when you accomplish your Sim's goal, you're aware that it's your efforts that made it possible...so you feel good about it.  It gives you a personal victory, and while it might not matter in the whole big scheme of life, it matters to you.  And when you get down to it, that's all that really matters.

Essentially, it alters the way your conscious mind works, which has a cascading effect on your subconscious mind.  The trick is to carry that altered consciousness over into the real world when you're not playing.  It's a matter of training yourself to think differently all the time.  ;)
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Chuckles_82

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 05:19:32 PM »
We sort of ended up off topic here, which was not my intention, but hey, it seems like we need it :) Can we split threads at all?

My experience with depression is a chemical imbalance. With the altered state of mind the negative thoughts are easier to believe. We all think all manner of weird and wonderful things all the time. The thoughts come from somewhere - for arguments sake, our subconcious - and then we assess them with our concious mind. HOW we assess those thoughts depends on our experiences and our state of mind. With a state of mind that is altered by a chemical imbalance, it is easier to believe the negative thoughts. Believing them to some extent or greater is part of what brings you down.

In addition to the negative thoughts are the negative feelings. They can come from a lack of seratonin - the happy hormone. Things, even things you normally like, simply just don't make you happy.

Personally I found something that evens me out most of the time - and when I finally found out what was causing it, only just last year, it was a huge relief to feel happy , carefree and normal. Knowing what normal feels like, and being able to identify the depression makes it a little easier to bear. Unfortunately I can't take the medication while I'm pregnant. There are other medications, but they all carry risks for the baby - which I don't want to take. It's actually been my worst bout of depression ever - bringing me to tears at least once a week, but when family and friends around you understand (finally!) it's easier to bear - because you don't feel like they think you are a hypochondriac.

Thank you to everyone who has shared their stories. It can be comforting to know that you are not alone sometimes - despite the fact that statistics tell you that you are not alone!

Leto85

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 05:26:59 PM »
Yes, I knew we where a bit offtopic, but I decided to be a bit unprofessional for a change. It felt better.