Author Topic: Game Mod Discussion at Carl's Sims 3 Forum  (Read 72643 times)

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
Re: Game Mod Discussion at Carl's Sims 3 Forum
« Reply #255 on: March 02, 2012, 06:24:32 PM »
First of all, this is not the place to be discussing the intricacies of mods.  The mod rule is changing, but the on-topic rule will be unaffected.  That board will be up tomorrow, so please be patient.

I know you're all anxious to get the ball rolling, but geeze!  It's one more day!  You must have all been a serious hand full around Christmas time...  :P

I would advise simply checking the Nraas wiki frequently as opposed to posting updates here :) Twallan works very fast and even if you share what he has finished for the night, it will change quickly the next day and become outdated. I think if people would like to use mods, they ought to get into the habit of checking themselves for updates regularly. Every one is responsible for his or her own game.

I'm hereby change your name to Jedi Master NonaMena (that would be a great Star Wars name anyways, wouldn't it?).  This is very wise advice, and probably not something that we should be doing here.  A day or two after the patch is released, and they will all be updated.  Play-by-play's are unnecessary because the information will be quickly outdated.

Will mod discussion be allowed elsewhere, besides the board and this topic?

Yes, so long as doing so doesn't violate any other rules.  If someone says "oh I wish I could fish with bait already," it would be perfectly acceptable to say "Overwatch fixes that" and link them to the appropriate thread.  However, in the thread "Which is your favorite expansion pack," it would not be appropriate to discuss mods because it would be off-topic.  Unless it's somehow not, of course.  :P  In reality, mod discussion will be largely off-topic anywhere else, and there's no need to explain a mod in-depth if a thread already exists on it.  It's just a matter of applying common sense.   ;)
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
« Reply #256 on: March 02, 2012, 06:42:36 PM »
I know you're all anxious to get the ball rolling, but geeze!  It's one more day!  You must have all been a serious hand full around Christmas time...  :P

Oh, we were! I assume you mean the "something's coming but we can't tell you yet!" before the Union Cove release? Man, that thread got like 10 posts every minute. ;D But thank you for letting us know the board will be up tomorrow.

Sorry about that. I'm still waiting for Error Trap, and I just downloaded CAW, so when Error Trap is released for 1.31, I will test this out with Union Cove.  :)

It's updated now.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #257 on: March 02, 2012, 06:44:45 PM »
Is there something like a base mod that you need to have in order for others to work?

What program do you use to unzip the files? I've recently realized that windows 7 doesn't come with one.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #258 on: March 02, 2012, 06:46:14 PM »
I'll use Twallan as an example here.

Twallan's Mods sometimes have more than one "Module". For instance, if you download MasterController, you can download the following Modules: Cheats, Expanded Tattoo, Integration and Progression.
If you want the Cheats Module, you have to download the MasterController Base Mod, otherwise Cheats will not work.
However, some of his other Mods have only one Module. An example is Overwatch. If you download Overwatch, the only other downloads you can do with Overwatch are re-downloading and downloading updated versions.

I don't know of any other Modders who use Modules, so the question about Base Mods is (to my knowledge) only applicable to Twallan.

And Windows 7 comes with an unzipper - right click on the folder and choose the "extract" option.

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #259 on: March 02, 2012, 07:03:48 PM »
twallan requires a Base Mod for all of his Mods - they can be found on his Wiki.

And Windows 7 comes with an unzipper - right click on the folder and choose the "extract" option.

*smacks self on forehead*  Ever since I stopped doing so much arty stuff on my computer I rarely think about right click.  *feeling like an idiot now*

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #260 on: March 02, 2012, 07:28:18 PM »
@Seabody - What? I didn't download any base mod to support Overwatch?

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #261 on: March 02, 2012, 07:31:06 PM »
That would be because Overwatch has only one Module: Overwatch itself.

I don't think I was very clear in my last explanation, so I'll go back and edit it again.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #262 on: March 02, 2012, 07:39:27 PM »
Oh I see! Thanks, Seabody.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #263 on: March 02, 2012, 07:58:02 PM »
The board will be up soon. I am not going to make a topic about each of the most popular mods. I'll leave that to people who have used them extensively and would like to share their knowledge. After all, I've never had to herd topics that way for other boards on the forum. Rule 5 has been edited from:

5. We assume no responsibility for any damage to your game or computer as a result of using mods, hacks, and/or third party custom content. Many sites which host them also offer code designed to break the game's Teen rating. As a family friendly site, we cannot endorse any sites which link to such content. DO NOT discuss or link to any mods or custom content (CC) on this forum.

to:

5. Do not discuss or link to sites that offer content which breaks the game's teen rating, and no direct-linking to sites that feature only Custom Content. Examples of CC are hair, clothing, and objects that are not included with The Sims 3. Game mod discussion is OK so long as the Teen rating is kept in mind and it is on topic. We now have a board for new topics about mods. Please read the rules and disclaimer there.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #264 on: March 02, 2012, 08:06:29 PM »
Sounds good to me, Carl.

I would like to add, overwatch has really improved, and stopped my game from the usual crashing. I had no idea my Sim could still carry around overload amount of cars in their inventory. I could have sworn EA fixed that. ::)

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #265 on: March 02, 2012, 08:06:52 PM »
Soon, meaning now.  :P

Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war!
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #266 on: March 02, 2012, 08:25:49 PM »
Of course, that also means all rules related to mods are in effect as of now. So, feel free to talk. We may need to do some thread merging. Some folks know these mods really well and had a lot to say, so they may make very good starter posts for that topic.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #267 on: March 02, 2012, 09:13:14 PM »
Carl, I posted a step by step guide on how to create a mods folder. If anyone is interested, or if it's helpful, maybe they can help me edit or add to my topic.

I'm going to create some visuals, on how to do this.

Offline Piggypox

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #268 on: March 02, 2012, 09:43:59 PM »
I've got a couple of questions about mods:
1. What does errortrap and stopwatch do?
2. Does woohooer have skill and skill challenges?
3. What is the master controller/ how does it works?
4. How many portraits does PortraitPanel Allow?

Hi! I suggest you go to http://nraas.wikispaces.com to read up. He's excellent with documentation. But for now,

1. Errortrap cleans up your save game. Most of the time it works in the background and you don't notice it. If it fails to correct the issue, it'll record a script error located in the sims 3 folder. You can zip it up and send them back to Twallan and see if there's anything to be corrected.

I believe you meant Overwatch. It mostly reduces lag by deleting vehicles spawned by npcs, turning of stereos and tvs, recovering missing sims, resetting stuck sims etc. Again, you won't notice it except at around 3 a.m. cos that's when the cleanup is done.

2. I'm not too familiar with Woohooer because I didn't install this. But yes, Woohoo-ing is a skill called Kama Simtra. =P

3. MasterController is what it says. It allows you to control every single aspect of the game. I can't play without this. There're optional modules with one MasterController Cheats for the cheaters out there (me).

4. PortraitPanel allows 24 portraits to be displayed simultaneously.

Hope this helps! =)

Offline Fluffy Puff

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #269 on: March 02, 2012, 10:12:16 PM »
[...] and no direct-linking to sites that feature only Custom Content. Examples of CC are hair, clothing, and objects that are not included with The Sims 3.

Does this make modthesims off-limits? In addition to custom content, they have a very informative game help section. Is it okay to link to that?

Edit: Argh, I feel stupid now. x: