Author Topic: Game Mod Discussion at Carl's Sims 3 Forum  (Read 72698 times)

Offline KJSinclair

• Townie
  • I may have a sharp tongue but I have a soft heart
Re: Game Mod Discussion at Carl's Sims 3 Forum
« Reply #165 on: February 28, 2012, 08:19:30 PM »
I suspected it to be the case that her current configuration simply cannot handle the intensity of TS3. Her computer is solely business use and basic web browsing and it is older than dirt lol

However I am techie enough to be able to strip the innards out of her computer and rebuild it, so I am going to build her a machine with 2 or 3 hard drives so the sims can live in one then our business files are safe and secure. I had been planning on waiting to do this until the summer when I will have more time, but it seems that once I mentioned it in passing, the summer turned into spring and from spring into this weekend lol

I always appreciate good advice and insight, even when the answer is 'get your tools out' lol

Kindest Regards
KJ
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes we have to wait a long time for the reason to become clear.

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #166 on: February 28, 2012, 08:21:40 PM »
That statement is exactly how I felt about mod use. It was an embarrassment watching myself over a year ago and others have their posts edited for mentioning a mod. It was like when Spongebob said, "But Mermaid Man, there's evil afoot!" then Mermaid Man would shout "Evil! Evil! Evil!" So I think all along while I don't suggest or recommend a mod perse, nor do I think it's evil, I feel those who use mods should've been able to be honest and say so all along.
Never thought of it that way. Spongebob is an awesome analogy. I'm sorry to you or anyone if I made you feel that way. I never meant to in a million years.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline KrispyNickyB

• Immortal
  • The round peg in a square hole.
    • Subscribe to me on Youtube!
« Reply #167 on: February 28, 2012, 08:29:55 PM »
Esther1981, I can assure you this. You never made me feel that way. It was just the atmosphere in general if that makes sense.

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #168 on: February 28, 2012, 08:31:36 PM »
Thanks Nicky. Yes, it does make complete sense!

Offline cndneh

• Watcher
« Reply #169 on: February 28, 2012, 11:10:08 PM »
The only negative thing I could really see coming out of this is if someone is having a technical issue, a mod may frequently come to be the first answer. This is good for people who are willing to use mods, but if there is an unmodded way to fix the problem, that's the answer I would like first.

As I've noticed twallan himself answered with non-mod answers to technical questions, so we shouldn't have to much fear about people offering up mod solutions to problems.  This community has a large group of knowledgeable people and will offer up mod and non-mod solutions so you have a choice.

I don't think the community will change dramatically because of the addition of 'mod talk'.  Seems many of the members here were mod users anyways and couldn't be honest with their stories, with their gaming, and with the other members here because of the rule.  I do think there should be a "mod list that Carl's Sims 3 Guide approves of"  So people know where to go first if interested in mods.  The rule should be reworked to still include "mods should be used at your own risk"  because this is no different than downloading anything else off the internet (whether its mods, CC, buildings, or worlds).  Also including "mod talk should only be used on appropriate forum boards, please refrain from using it elsewhere"  would help keep it off the general boards.

Also some people assume mods are only there to "fix" bugs, while this is true with many mods, some also enhance the game play making it more fun, or cleaning up problems that make games almost unplayable.  But ultimately the choice is up to the user, and I think a message board to help people make an educated decisions is great.  After all isn't that what Carl's all about? Helping people?

:)

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #170 on: February 29, 2012, 02:09:32 AM »
I think Hosfac is making things clear that we're not promoting the use of Mods or trying to encourage the use of them and that the new ruling, or lack of, is for educational purposes to help the Sim Community understand this big wide world of mods.

Yes, this...buy my whole point in using that example when I did was to illustrate how people tend to look at something, and instead of simply taking it at face value, they push it to a level that may not have been intended.  And that had indeed been done.  It created a culture where none of us who used mods could talk about it, some of us felt embarrassed about it, and a few people didn't talk at all out of concern over how it might look or because they didn't want to risk breaking the rules.  And that last part is by far the worst:  we pride ourselves on being part of a community where anyone who loves the Sims can fit in...but some people still felt that they didn't.  That's a far greater ill than any mod has ever caused anyone, with the exception of maybe the "girldolldressed" incident lol.

My point was that this upcoming change means nothing other than what it appears to be on the surface:  mod discussion will be permitted.  There is no real reason to read anything more into it, because nothing more is implied.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

AdnaanA

« Reply #171 on: February 29, 2012, 03:27:45 AM »
I am so glad ! I have to admit I use mods too. I installed Mods on my computer and no mods on my laptop, since I play my dynasty attempt on my laptop

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline wednesday21

• Lurker
  • Occult
  • Joker is slightly amused.
« Reply #172 on: February 29, 2012, 06:11:16 AM »
I'm very glad to see this rule lifted. Like Hosfac, I felt it sent an unintended message that all mods are bad, but no, they are not, I assure you. If it wasn't for Twallan's mods, my game would be unplayable by now. Pets totally broke it to the point where I thought about giving up Sims. Then I found Overwatch and ErrorTrap which were the final salvation for me. I currently use about twenty game modifications for The Sims 3, all from reputable modders. I feel absolutely safe with them with no chance of my game crashing other then occasional computer overheating.

The key to enjoying and enhancing your game experience while using mods is to correctly and thoroughly read the install instructions, warnings, and information about conflicting mods & patch compatibility. I know that this sounds like a pure chore, but this is really the only way to safely add and use mods. Don't blame the creator and their mod for breaking your game if you haven't done all the steps correctly. No need to hurry with this either. Weigh all the pros and cons of the mod(s) you have your eye on before taking action. Also remember that too many mods will definitely lag your game.

Just a couple of friendly advices. :)

Darkhadia

« Reply #173 on: February 29, 2012, 07:18:38 AM »
Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I have been unable to play my Sims 3 game at all since what I think must have been the last patch (I know it has been about two months). Had been playing Pets fine for a while and then all of a sudden I couldn't play without crashing; at first it would crash after about half an hour but at the moment it's more like 30 seconds into Live Mode (I can use CaS for however long I want seemingly) and my game crashes. I had tried the suggested fixes here on the Technical Forum but nothing worked and I have been feeling incredibly frustrated at the loss of one of my all time favourite games! I had heard of mods on the official forum that could help but, being not the most technically savvy person and not knowing whether I could trust these mods to not harm my computer, I have felt too nervous to install anything.

Having lurked here for a while and posted a little, and also seeing the amount the moderators and everyone try to help all the forum members, I would feel a lot safer trusting information posted here than on other sites.

All I want to do is be able to play my game! :(

Offline MoMoll

• Watcher
« Reply #174 on: February 29, 2012, 01:42:11 PM »
I'm very glad to see this rule lifted. Like Hosfac, I felt it sent an unintended message that all mods are bad, but no, they are not, I assure you. If it wasn't for Twallan's mods, my game would be unplayable by now. Pets totally broke it to the point where I thought about giving up Sims. Then I found Overwatch and ErrorTrap which were the final salvation for me. I currently use about twenty game modifications for The Sims 3, all from reputable modders. I feel absolutely safe with them with no chance of my game crashing other then occasional computer overheating.

The key to enjoying and enhancing your game experience while using mods is to correctly and thoroughly read the install instructions, warnings, and information about conflicting mods & patch compatibility. I know that this sounds like a pure chore, but this is really the only way to safely add and use mods. Don't blame the creator and their mod for breaking your game if you haven't done all the steps correctly. No need to hurry with this either. Weigh all the pros and cons of the mod(s) you have your eye on before taking action. Also remember that too many mods will definitely lag your game.

Just a couple of friendly advices. :)

I agree! In sims 2 I was VERY into mods, and then I wondered if anyone could create the same mods for Sims 3. Now, I cannot play my game without these mods and it works better than ever.
I'm not into challenges that put restrictions on me, I'm into seeing how a town lives and works and how my sim fits in.

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
Game Mod Discussion at Carl's Sims 3 Forum
« Reply #175 on: February 29, 2012, 01:46:31 PM »
I am tempted to try a couple mods to stabilize the game and get rid of vampires but I am so technically unsavvy that I'd probably break the game...so I won't. At least not yet...LOL

Offline MoMoll

• Watcher
« Reply #176 on: February 29, 2012, 01:47:59 PM »
If you follow the instructions, you should be OK. I did a back-up before putting my mods in and followed the instructions and I'm a very happy simmer.

Offline JudesSims

• Sim Addict - and Proud of It!
  • Watcher
Game Mod Discussion at Carl's Sims 3 Forum
« Reply #177 on: February 29, 2012, 01:51:46 PM »
Thanks, MoMoll. I'm one of those "have to have it explained step-by-step" people so if I do try it, I will print out all of the instructions beforehand. At my age anything requiring too much brain power is iffy. Hehe

Offline MoMoll

• Watcher
« Reply #178 on: February 29, 2012, 01:55:46 PM »
Thanks, MoMoll. I'm one of those "have to have it explained step-by-step" people so if I do try it, I will print out all of the instructions beforehand. At my age anything requiring too much brain power is iffy. Hehe

There are others on this site, NRaas and Mod the Sims that can give you better help. In Sims2 I used Mod the Sims for everything (CC, mods). One the sites you can ask questions and get technical help.

Offline wednesday21

• Lurker
  • Occult
  • Joker is slightly amused.
« Reply #179 on: February 29, 2012, 02:19:24 PM »

Here is a handy step-by-step guide on how to install files in .package format. All mods come in this format.