Author Topic: Game Mod Discussion at Carl's Sims 3 Forum  (Read 72790 times)

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
Re: Game Mod Discussion at Carl's Sims 3 Forum
« Reply #150 on: February 28, 2012, 04:09:10 PM »
See this is where my only concern is. I'm really worried that we end up going from one extreme, "mods are bad" to another "mods are good." There should be a medium with this rule. Still keep in mind "do not use mods to break the T for teen rating," "mod's are very risky..." but with new rules like "all mods must have an actual source..." but still the good parts "yes mods can be helpful, and can really improve your game..." So in other words, instead of the rule "Do not discuss or share any links to mods. Period!" It should be "Do not discuss or share links to any mods casually." In other words, if you use a mod, you have to have the proper website. Basically I'm saying the rule should state: If you use a mod, you must provide a proper source.

We're in the process of simplifying things, and you don't do this by making them more complicated.  The last thing we need to do, mere months after pruning the rules list down, is start adding more rules to it and bogging it back down.

The entire and only problem that exists, and has ever existed, is interpretation.

Old Rule:  Carl's does not endorse mods, so don't post about them.
User's Interpretation:  Mods are evil and using them will result in everything from global warming to the fall of western civilization.

New Rule:  For educational purposes, we are now allowing the discussion of certain mods within specific parameters.
User's Interpretation:  Mods are perfect in every way, and we should all use them.  Or conversely:  The world has ended and Carl's forum will now become an on-line version of the movie "The Road Warrior."

All reactions shown above are knee-jerk and uninformed.  And nowhere above in the user interpretations is a message we were trying to send or are sending now.

The new stance doesn't mean what you think it does any more than the old policy meant what you thought it did.  There is no high ground.  There is no low ground.  And as a result of these two constants, there is no middle ground to take.  Everyone needs to step back, take a breath, and stop interpreting.  Just read it.  There are no hidden messages to detect or underlying motives to uncover.  It just is

Mods are not inherently good any more than they are inherently evil.  The entire mindset of good and bad needs to be abandoned in relation to this topic.  It is an option, nothing more and nothing less.  Categorization of this fashion is counter-productive to both sides of the argument.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline MoMoll

• Watcher
« Reply #151 on: February 28, 2012, 04:16:02 PM »
mods are not evil. But, you have to be sure they come from a reliable source and don't glitch your game. i'm using mods from twallan, and my game works better then it ever has. However, I am leary of trying ALL mods.
What I would like to see is a true discussion of which mods work, without causing problems, and exactly what benefit they add to the game. I would like ti see

Edit: Cat walked on the keyboard: I would like to see a true discusion about which mods there are, what they do , and if people have experienced problems with them.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #152 on: February 28, 2012, 04:22:54 PM »
Jeana, I understand you have strong opinion about this but no need to use Capslock. I edited your post for it 2 times now.

This forum has built its reputation around having responsible and friendly communication. We always look for the arguments and proves to back up informations shared here. We are not encouraging usage of mods, or disclaiming any previous statements - some can be bad and they can conflict each other; but the plan is to open the communication and share reliable informations about it. The goal of this change is to provide more informations related to mods. There is nothing completely black or white, so treating mods as "all being harmfull" or "casual and harmless additions" are both prejudices. Only way to fight those exclusive attitudes is providing reliable informations about them. 
It is our own individual responsability how much informations we will gather before deciding if we want to use them or not.

Momoll, that is exactly what we are aiming for! When new board is open, we will share the informations and experiences :)

Offline MoMoll

• Watcher
« Reply #153 on: February 28, 2012, 04:32:45 PM »
I understand. I used mods in Sims2 without problem. I have recently started using mods inSims3. I was originally nervous; because this website was so totally against them. BUT, I decided to try anyways and foudn they enhance the game tenfold.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2012, 04:39:22 PM »
I apologize, and I understand. I am so used to this discussion on the Facebook wall where I have overemphasized people (lack of HTML) that you shouldn't say they're bad and harmful, but at the same time, don't put it in without researching, because you could have two mods at the same time that don't work with each other. That's what I'm saying. Sorry for the caps though. I'm used to typing this sort of opinion on Facebook. :)

MoMoll, I'm a longtime lurker of that website. They scan everything before putting it up for grabs.

Offline MoMoll

• Watcher
« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2012, 04:45:42 PM »
I love the ones I downloaded from NRaas and want to know about others. I had written EA a long time ago and told them they should hire people from sites that have great CC, etc. Or, at least pây them a fee to link to them or put their stuff in the EA store. Could be the same with mods. They should give credit to guys who fix their game!

Offline KJSinclair

• Townie
  • I may have a sharp tongue but I have a soft heart
« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2012, 04:55:13 PM »
To me this rule change just means that we will all be better educated and be able to ask questions and get answers in a safe environment, I am not going to run around casually adding mods to my game just because it add cool new things but if those said mods can safely make this game work on my partners computer (graphics card issue) then I would be willing to entertain the idea.

The problem with my partners computer is that unless the game is zoomed way out the graphics become 'spiked' and all that she wants to do is build for the building challenges. That is game breaking and I know there may not be an answer to this but if there is then she will be ecstatic to be able to participate in building for the challenges and also to upload to the swap shop.

I just don't understand enough about mods (despite having a heavily techie background) to safely add a mod to a computer that we also use for our home business.

I have searched the internet and I found Twallans site and as much as I know that he is a trusted resource, there isn't enough information out there to be able to make an informed decision, mainly because mods are not (seemingly) geared to newbies and therefore the information is too much and not enough all at the same time.

Kindest Regards
KJ
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes we have to wait a long time for the reason to become clear.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2012, 05:09:03 PM »
I am so used to this discussion on the Facebook wall where I have overemphasized people (lack of HTML) that you shouldn't say they're bad and harmful, but at the same time, don't put it in without researching, because you could have two mods at the same time that don't work with each other.

This is precisely the purpose of the upcoming mods board.  To create a place where all such information can be found in one spot.  The benefits, the risks, how to tell if one mod will conflict with another before you even download it, how to install them, how to remove them, how to figure out who you can trust and who you can't...all of this, and more.

Twallan does this on his site.  He's always been awesome when it comes to documentation and explanation.  But what happens if someone doesn't find him first?  What happens if you do find him first, but you don't understand what he's talking about?

The latter was my problem when I first found Nraas Industries.  A lot of the talk was industry terminology, so I didn't really know what anything was supposed to do for me.  Likewise, I didn't understand how to install any of it and didn't want to look stupid.  I remedied this by reading random mod threads until I started to pick up the terminology and understanding what it meant.  It took me a few days...but I'm the type of person that if I put my mind to figuring something out, I will figure it out.  There are quite a few people who don't share my determination, however.  There needs to be a source for the layman.  Beginning to end.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2012, 05:11:40 PM »
Edit: Cat walked on the keyboard:

I couldn't pass that up and just had to say that that made me laugh. Every cat I've ever had has done that!

Anyways, I wasn't trying to suggest changing the rule to "only suggest mods as a last resort" or anything. I was trying to imply that people who definitely don't want a mod as a solution need to realize that some people may start offering them as solutions. If you absolutely do not want a mod as a solution, then make it known in your original post. However, it should be understood that most people will want to try various, non-mod things to fix their games before resorting to mods, especially if they've never used a mod before and are leery about it. Looking back at my post, I realize I was not very clear about that.

New Rule:  For educational purposes, we are now allowing the discussion of certain mods within specific parameters.

Is this going to be the real new rule?

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2012, 05:18:59 PM »
Is this going to be the real new rule?

I think Hosfac is making things clear that we're not promoting the use of Mods or trying to encourage the use of them and that the new ruling, or lack of, is for educational purposes to help the Sim Community understand this big wide world of mods. That's what I think he means anyway?
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline oxJennxo

• Nooboo
« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2012, 05:40:28 PM »
I was very glad to see this.  As you can tell, I don't post here.  The rumors everywhere else are, Carl has the best information and guides, but if you talk of mods you will be ostracized, so just be careful what you say.   Therefore, I chose to just say nothing.  I had to learn about mods on my own and broke my game..numerous times.   Luckily, I found Twallan and his mods.  I use nothing else but his.

I would have thrown Sims 3 out the window if it wasn't for MasterController, Overwatch (finds missing babies and toddlers that EA hides), Debugenabler (fixes those lame deer and raccoon that run around black due to lost "outfits"), Error Trap and Saver mod.  It reminds me to save the game every 45 minutes and I have it set to on a four save cycle.  That way any crash I have, I have three other saves within 45 minutes of each other. 

When I have an error or notice something weird happening in-game, he takes the time and talks to you about what is happening.   He might think I'm an idiot for whatever I have done, but he never makes you think that you are.  He will then do whatever he can to fix it, if it is his mod responsible.  If he is unable to answer because he has a life, then there are several others there who will help.   

I am not endorsing or disavowing mods or the people who do or do not use them.  Just be responsible and do research before undertaking anything.  Just keep asking question until you are clear on what it does and if it is right for you. 

Offline Sarabi

• Townie
« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2012, 06:20:30 PM »
Count me among those who are delighted to see this change.

While I prefer to run a clean game, I had found that my games would become unplayable with lag after a few Sim weeks.  I did a lot of research, and tried all of the suggested fixes to no avail.  Although it made me nervous to do so, I finally installed Twallan's overwatch mod - and it does just exactly what I needed it to do.  I have had no problems with the game since installing that single mod.

Going forward, it's great that we will be able to discuss mods on the most trusted, best moderated forum on the net.

Thanks for your flexibility in serving the needs of the player community.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #162 on: February 28, 2012, 07:47:22 PM »

I am not endorsing or disavowing mods or the people who do or do not use them.  Just be responsible and do research before undertaking anything.  Just keep asking question until you are clear on what it does and if it is right for you. 

That's exactly how I feel about mods, and what I was trying to imply all along. Looking back, I don't think I was being clear about it.

I just don't understand enough about mods (despite having a heavily techie background) to safely add a mod to a computer that we also use for our home business.

Pre-Generations, when I had Base-Game only, my game was heavily modified, and a bit too much CC, (that's back when I used the Exchange on impulse. I found I could only do no more than three or four. I did Master Controller, Story Progression, and several different ones on Mod The Sims, including a mod that let me buy deathfish and life fruit. All this on my Chipset. Eventually my game lagged! Of course, being I'm fairly techy myself, (not enough for a Computer Wiz trait, but I inherited a good amount of knowledge in this sort of thing from my uncle), I learned fairly quickly, and casually experimented with the pretty creepy skin tones, realistic eyes etc. Lesson learned, chip sets are not meant for gaming. Not to mention heavily modified and customized gaming, so you really want to limit yourself.

Also, does your partner use the computer for strictly for business? She needs to limit herself on CC and mods, and turn down those settings. I would also suggest she gets a graphics card with dedicated amount of video RAM as appose to system RAM. If she were to add several different mods to her game, it will lag to the point where it's barely playable. Especially with added EP's and SP's that take up even more resources.

EDIT: I'm sorry if this is too off topic, but I do have to add to this:

The problem with my partners computer is that unless the game is zoomed way out the graphics become 'spiked' and all that she wants to do is build for the building challenges.

Those "spiked" graphics, are artifacts. I got those all the time with Bridgeport when I played on my G33/G31 Express Chipset. It almost sounds like she may not even be able to handle mods, if she keeps getting artifacts like that.

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #163 on: February 28, 2012, 07:54:23 PM »
Emily, thank goodness I'm not the only one now!! Unfortunately I think you're right and this will happen even though we don't like it.

Thanks Hosfac! I don't feel comfortable messing with the game and am glad I won't have to feel pressure about doing it. I know some people are against cheat codes, and I would never put pressure on them to do so. It's their choice whether or not they use them as it's my choice not to use mods.

Very true Grimsoul and Moons. I disagree with this, and while arguing it I'm being respectful to others. I guess the forums won't change, because we have stellar members to begin with. ;D

About the comparison of mods and Metro's Tournaments, I for one am a cheater. Everyone knows it. Which is why the only challenges I participate in are the ones that allow the main cheat I need. I know in my head I could participate in others, just tell him I didn't use it, but that would be cheating and lying and I would never feel comfortable with that.

I can't believe how many lurkers are coming out! I never thought twice about that rule, since I didn't use any and I never would have thought it would put people off from the site. To everyone I don't know, welcome to the forums!  ;D

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #164 on: February 28, 2012, 08:18:34 PM »

About the comparison of mods and Metro's Tournaments, I for one am a cheater. Everyone knows it. Which is why the only challenges I participate in are the ones that allow the main cheat I need. I know in my head I could participate in others, just tell him I didn't use it, but that would be cheating and lying and I would never feel comfortable with that.

That statement is exactly how I felt about mod use. It was an embarrassment watching myself over a year ago and others have their posts edited for mentioning a mod. It was like when Spongebob said, "But Mermaid Man, there's evil afoot!" then Mermaid Man would shout "Evil! Evil! Evil!" So I think all along while I don't suggest or recommend a mod perse, nor do I think it's evil, I feel those who use mods should've been able to be honest and say so all along.

anything