Author Topic: Game Mod Discussion at Carl's Sims 3 Forum  (Read 72757 times)

Offline ErinIsNice

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Game Mod Discussion at Carl's Sims 3 Forum
« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2012, 09:45:20 AM »
I'm glad the rule is changing. I almost stopped playing because of vampires and memories, but Twallan helped me find what I needed to get rid of both.

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
« Reply #121 on: February 28, 2012, 10:20:20 AM »
Wow, this thread has gained some weight since I went to sleep! ;)

Now that I'm hearing more about how difficult it would be for Metro to ok or not ok certain mods for challenges, I'm with him and Carl on this one, especially if it got to the point that some players just assumed some mods were ok instead of requesting permission.

This thread is really making me want to try out some mods. The only ones I downloaded were ones that I was going to test with my new world once I made it to Edit in Game mode, but I've never used them with with my for fun games. A couple have been mentioned here already, so I think I'll go look at them a little more in depth.

Who knew revising this one rule would bring so many lurkers to commenting so quickly?

Edit: I noticed a couple people brought up my factory reset thread. Once the mod board is up, I will make a specific mention in my thread about how to use mods, such as keeping one folder for modded for fun play and another unmodded folder for challenges.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #122 on: February 28, 2012, 10:34:10 AM »
Soo much to read!
I'm happy to see such a great spirit about this change, and even if I first look for mods once I realize I need them to populate the world in CAW (couple of months before it was released), I started to appreciate their usefullness ever since. I also agree with everyone that it will be great to hear suggestions from people who I trust. I did used only Twallan's mods and explored their functions a lot, but as Saltypaws said, I'll have to read more to know what everyone is talking about  :)
This will also help in developing the CAW section as many useful tools and solutions were shared only via PM's so far.

Offline Marfaud

• Llama Wrangler
    • Flicker Account
« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2012, 10:46:17 AM »
Hello, I'm new here.   First, I'd like to say thank you to the Moderators for this web site and Forum.   It has been an excellent source of information.

I am definitely all for this b/c I have just started playing and I'm curious about Twallan's Mods and do appreciate the thought of protecting us inexperienced  (and experienced) players from mods that will harm the game and possibly your computer.   

I'm particularly interested in the Mastercontroller so I can keep my family related to each other!   Kind of sad to see in play when Mothers don't recognize their own children!   Maybe it's a picky detail, but...

Thank you for doing this!   :D
See!  You learn something new every day!

Ms_Operetta

« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2012, 10:56:47 AM »
Okay, now my curiosity is piqued.  I am very interested in Error Trap & Overwatch. I am super new. I installed UC but, had some issues and quit playing.  I have Expansion Packs: World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations and Pets.   I have Stuff Packs: High-End Loft Stuff, Fast Lane Stuff, Outdoor Living Stuff and Town Life Stuff.

Thank you for letting me chime in  ;D

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2012, 11:44:31 AM »
I'm glad to see the discussion opening up. I don't have any mods and am a little nervous about trying them, but some do sound intriguing --the story progression one, for example. Also anything that gets rid of memories.

I've learned so much about technical matters from people on this site. I can remember when terms like "clearing cache files" and "factory resets" were mysterious and scary; now they're regular parts of my game maintenance. I daresay mods will become familiar too, and I look forward to learning more about them.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline jessiethedog

• Immortal
« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2012, 11:59:48 AM »
What made this forum the best, for me, was that mod discussion was not allowed, although I was aware that many people were using them. I feel this is better for the challenges that go on here.

However, I realise that one or two (Esther) opposed to this will not alter anybody's opinions, especially as I am more of a lurker anyway. Although this probably will not be the case, I do worry that mod discussion will become more discussed in other threads too if it is allowed in one section of the forum, and that mods will be the main solution to bugs in the game.

This is probably just me being picky, though, at many people seem to be really happy with this change. It just seems really odd to be getting rid of such a well-established rule which made this forum completely family-friendly.
'They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra just for you' - Larkin

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2012, 12:10:18 PM »
I'm sure any unsuitable Mods will not be allowed and that only trusted Mods and Makers will be discussed. Not only do so many people use Mods but it could be a real aid in discovering the reasons behind someones technical issues.

As far as my use of Mods. I'm not using any and probably will not use any. Just because I don't feel comfortable taking that risk in my game.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline KrispyNickyB

• Immortal
  • The round peg in a square hole.
    • Subscribe to me on Youtube!
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2012, 12:21:47 PM »
This is probably just me being picky, though, at many people seem to be really happy with this change. It just seems really odd to be getting rid of such a well-established rule which made this forum completely family-friendly.

I don't understand how mod discussion makes this place family friendly. What makes it family friendly is keeping the talk here in general clean. I feel that has nothing to do with mods. It's already been stated that any mod breaking the game rating is forbidden i.e....taking off mosaic for example.

I don't think mod discussion will be on the other boards. It has nothing to do with any other topics here. It'll be on it's own separate discussion board. I feel that Carl made the right decision with this. It's also something I think that is not being very well understood.

Here is how I understand it. We can mention and talk about the mods on it's own discussion board. Any discussion outside of that board shouldn't be happening. This is okay with me. The only time I would discuss a mod outside a board would be my own stories. I would open it with I used this to make this sim's skin navy.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #129 on: February 28, 2012, 12:42:59 PM »
What made this forum the best, for me, was that mod discussion was not allowed, although I was aware that many people were using them. I feel this is better for the challenges that go on here.

However, I realise that one or two (Esther) opposed to this will not alter anybody's opinions, especially as I am more of a lurker anyway. Although this probably will not be the case, I do worry that mod discussion will become more discussed in other threads too if it is allowed in one section of the forum, and that mods will be the main solution to bugs in the game.

Well, mod discussion in other sections of the forum is still subject to the "on-topic" rule, just like any other topic would be.  For instance, if someone was asking about a specific bug, it would be perfectly acceptable to suggest that mod a is a cure for problem b.  However, in a topic about how to level Gardening, there would be no real reason to mention any mods, so doing so would be off-topic.

Likewise this rule does not change how the challenges work, nor will it have any affect on the family friendly atmosphere of Carl's.  Challenges will remain mod-free, and linking to mods designed specifically to break the teen rating will still be off limits.  An alteration of a single rule does not mean that we're now an "anything goes" environment.

You could start slowly.  :)  I think it is good to be cautious and take your time.

No.  No, no, no!  This is exactly what needs to not happen here.  Do not attempt to do this, under any circumstances, regardless of how sound your reasoning might seem to be.

The change in this rule is not at all designed to encourage people to use mods who would not otherwise do so.  It is being done to provide valid information to people who are using them, or are already interested in using them.  There is to be no pressure, regardless of how slight it might be, placed on anyone who does not want 3rd party software altering their games.  It's their choice not to play with mods, just like two days ago it was your choice to play with them, regardless of the rules here.  It needs to stay that way.  Forever.

Our goal here is not to convince people like Esther that they should use mods!  Our only goal here is to make people like Esther comfortable with the change that is happening, and to ensure her that the forum will not go into decline simply because we partially relaxed half of a single rule.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #130 on: February 28, 2012, 12:45:22 PM »
Wow, This thread has really grown sense I check last. It's nice to see I'm not the only one that uses Mods here and I can come out of the closet about it.  ;)
I'm not worried about this changing the feel of the board and making it anything like the official forum. You can look at this thread for proof of that. This is a hot topic, with people on both sides of the fence but it has been discussed in a civil manner. I would hate to think what it would look like on on the official forum or any other forum.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline Katluvr

• Crazy Cat Lady - Origin ID: Katluvr23
  • Watcher
  • The shortest distance between two people is a hug.
« Reply #131 on: February 28, 2012, 12:54:03 PM »
I think we all expected everyone to be anti-mod because you were all so respectful about the rule, whether you disagreed or not.

I think this speaks volumes about the integrity of the members of this community and the high standards we hold for ourselves and each other.  That is the reason that I am so proud to be part of this forum.

I'm really glad the forum is changing it's rule regarding the discussion of mods.  As a long-time WoW player I learned a while ago that mods could make one's game experience so much better when used carefully and wisely.  Since this community is a premier source of Sims 3 information, it only makes sense that we take the same exacting standards and apply them to provide reputable discussions of mods.

I have experimented with one of Twallan's mods and look forward to an open discussion regarding others that people have found useful when the new board is launched.  I also understand and respect the decision not to allow any mods for challenges.  I'm happy to learn of the factory reset trick, as it will provide an easy way to comply with challenge rules.

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
« Reply #132 on: February 28, 2012, 12:55:53 PM »
You bring up a really good point, grimsoul. This thread is proof that the forum won't change. Some of us are disagreeing in the form of discussion and not hating on each other like the official forum would, or even some others.

The only negative thing I could really see coming out of this is if someone is having a technical issue, a mod may frequently come to be the first answer. This is good for people who are willing to use mods, but if there is an unmodded way to fix the problem, that's the answer I would like first.

Offline KrispyNickyB

• Immortal
  • The round peg in a square hole.
    • Subscribe to me on Youtube!
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2012, 01:09:09 PM »
The only negative thing I could really see coming out of this is if someone is having a technical issue, a mod may frequently come to be the first answer. This is good for people who are willing to use mods, but if there is an unmodded way to fix the problem, that's the answer I would like first.

Why not make this a rule? When helping with Tech issues, everyone should always suggest a mod free solution first?

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #134 on: February 28, 2012, 01:13:56 PM »
Why not make this a rule? When helping with Tech issues, everyone should always suggest a mod free solution first?

I think this is a good idea. Otherwise it may be just pointless and not help anyone at all.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

anything