Author Topic: Game Mod Discussion at Carl's Sims 3 Forum  (Read 72740 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Re: Game Mod Discussion at Carl's Sims 3 Forum
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2012, 12:12:48 AM »
With the mod discussion, I was so used to sharing/discussing mods on the official website, and Facebook Page, that I didn't realize it wasn't allowed here. We do have a locked sticky topic "What are mods?" but it only has negative comments about them. I do think we should move that in the future discussion board, and open it back up. That thread is a perfect example to how many people wanted to say "that's not true..." (and I sent PM's to those people agreeing with them), but couldn't.

This is the topic I'm referring to.

Said topic now resides in the Graveyard. R.I.P.

Additionally, you should know that all rules will be updated appropriately and I'm editing my original post to clear that up.

As to Challenges, as far as I know that's the final word. Ultimately it's his call and I don't direct that, although I know he is not inflexible.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2012, 12:14:08 AM »
I personally think it would be nice if Metro bent the rules a bit. Even Pinstar allows certain mods in his legacy challenge as far as I know. A lot of challenge creators have the same basic rule, as to what we think it should be: "Mods are fine as long as they don't give you an advantage."

But bending the rules a bit sometimes leads to more bending with just this little one added or that added, then you get players themselves making a decision that this mod should be ok without even asking and before long, it's out of control. So on this, I agree with Metro that a flat 'no mods' rule is applied to challenges.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2012, 12:16:12 AM »
Yes and whether a clear-cut rule about what mods are allowed to be played, Metro would constantly be asked to make an exception. I agree with him that it's best not to open that can of worms lest he be overworked.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2012, 12:16:50 AM »
The missing toddler glitch. People thought I was crazy when I had that glitch, pre-Generations. Will it also get rid of the needy babies that came with Late Night? I haven't had the piling up on cars in ages though. I didn't know people still got that bug.

Yes, but most challenges like that don't have an equivalent of the Hall of Fame that we have here; those challenges were more created as a different way to play the Sims, where as the challenges here (while still a different way to play) are scored and are competitive.   It also still means that Metro has to create a list of what mods are acceptable and what are not.  A blanket 'mods are fine unless they give you an advantage' will unfortunately be abused when it comes to a challenge game that is being scored and is competitive.

You're right. As I said, I'm with you on this one. I would love the use of mods that could potentially fix terrible game breaking bugs, but I just don't see it happening. I'm not sure about Metro or Pam's honest take on mods yet. If they don't like it for themselves, I totally understand. Still, I wouldn't blame Metro for keeping the rules "All Mods are Banned. Period."

Every time I click the "Post" button, there's another reply.

Which one is better though: Error trap or Overwatch?

Offline Seera1024

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2012, 12:24:15 AM »
I personally think it would be nice if Metro bent the rules a bit. Even Pinstar allows certain mods in his legacy challenge as far as I know. A lot of challenge creators have the same basic rule, as to what we think it should be: "Mods are fine as long as they don't give you an advantage."

Yes, it would be nice, but it's just nice to have a challenge in TS3 that actually challenges me. That I might fail it. And not because I got bored with it. Yet is doable and with different strategies as noted in several documented stories.

But Pinstar isn't Metro and Pinstar has the legacy be for everyone. Even those not really looking for a true challenge. And Metro makes his challenges only for those looking for a true challenge.

Being forced to play with no mods to go for Hall of Fame (and I normally don't go for scoring) made me realize that oh, EA fixed some of the problems that had me playing with mods. I have to admit that I was very leery of what kind of story progression my game was going to have. Beyond some playing way back before World Adventures was even released, I had never played without a mod affecting Story Progression. And all I remember is not being impressed.

Also with Overwatch deleting 50+ cars each night I was truly afraid my game was going to crawl to a screeching halt because of severe lag. Turns out it didn't. Or at least not yet.

Plus, with at least one file where I don't have mods in, will quickly let me judge where an issue is mod related or glitch related. Even if I wish I could have a few primarily bug fixing mods in there, and would probably put them in if Metro allowed it, the lack of mods haven't adversely affected my enjoyment of the game.

So while I would love for them be allowed, hence why I thirded the initial question, I completely understand the reasoning behind the rule.

And jeana, I agree, every time I go to post, someone else has posted. Or one post, 23 posts had been made, but I kept getting distracted while writing that one.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2012, 12:27:11 AM »
I actually thought this topic would have more people saying no, than yes allowing mod discussions. Now, I realize this whole allowing mods for discussion but you still have to find it yourself is perfect. No one has to hide anything over a rule. I don't think anyone's opening the can of worms either. We know better than to suggest mods for inappropriate content anyways.

Offline cndneh

• Watcher
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2012, 12:32:53 AM »

But who's to say whats an advantage and whats not.  People have been playing challenges without mods for this long so far, I don't see why we need to start using them now that people are talking about mods.  I'm an avid mod user but I'm going to back Metro here and say no mods for challenges. 

I like the idea of mod talk on the forums and I'm going to second NickyDuvyrda here and say there is a great moderator crew and even adding the mod element I don't think the community would change at all. People who are hesitant about using mods are justified since there is a lot of rubbish out there, but with the ability to talk about it in a trustworthy community it would ease fears of using mods. 

I was also afraid to talk about mods, even though I use them and want to mention them as a way to help people (some of the problems in the thread "things that annoy you in the sims" can be fixed using mods!).  I always find this site helpful and friendly and mods are as much a part of Sims as building houses, and we shouldn't leave users in the dark, they should be able to find help here with mods as well.

:)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2012, 12:37:51 AM »
I agree. No one should have to resort to a hostile place like the official Sims 3 forum just to figure out and share their mod experiences. I'm hoping Error trap will fix the Union Cove problems I've been having.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2012, 12:38:53 AM »
I think we all expected everyone to be anti-mod because you were all so respectful about the rule, whether you disagreed or not. You didn't communicate to one another that you liked them so most go on assuming everyone else thinks that way. We have a rule and I make one or two statements against mods, so those two mentions become very powerful unbeknownst to me. They're all I've said so that's what you take my stance to be, really hardcore against mods. I recognize the error and wish I could roll back time, but I'm happy to correct it now. I helped make a mod for Fallout 2, Wasteland Merc 2. I know how cool they can be. That was a total conversion mod that changed a lot of how the gameplay worked.

At this rate, I will open it several days earlier so people can use the new board before Showtime comes out and share what mods to look for when they're made compatible (if necessary). After all, with email notification used most everyone has a fair chance to see the message with only a couple of days. Since no one will really be hurt by this and will need to adapt anyway, it's safe to move sooner.

But who's to say whats an advantage and whats not.  People have been playing challenges without mods for this long so far, I don't see why we need to start using them now that people are talking about mods.  I'm an avid mod user but I'm going to back Metro here and say no mods for challenges. 

Aye. See, mod availability has not changed. He could have allowed bugfix mods with a rule like "no mods that give you an advantage" because who is to be the judge? It's easier for him and less complex to simply leave it the way it is.

I agree. No one should have to resort to a hostile place like the official Sims 3 forum just to figure out and share their mod experiences. I'm hoping Error trap will fix the Union Cove problems I've been having.

Let me know via PM to remind me. This and other things could be good for UC stability/performance and we will want to give people the option.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2012, 12:46:31 AM »
I remember getting in trouble for stating "I use this mod..." around this time last year, because I didn't know you guys were that strongly about no mods. To this day, I stuck with this great community, yet I buried my head in the sand, knowing these mods existed and using them. Now I can use them proudly on the Sims 3 community I'm a proud member of. I missed the functionality of the game terribly. Sure, a new graphics card help fixed my distorted pets, and my game stopped crashing and had the occasional EA deal breakers, but going back to Master Controller felt a huge improvement on my game.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2012, 12:48:53 AM »
I prefer Overwatch personally
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2012, 12:56:26 AM »

I use both, because they do different things.  Overwatch is a bug fixer, and Error Trap is a save game cleanup and error reporting utility.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2012, 12:58:16 AM »
Whew, now that my lectures are done for the day I can finally sit down and post.

I never used mods for The Sims 3 because I simply didn't understand them. Some of twallan's creations caught my eye at the start of my Simming "career", but I didn't seriously consider installing them because I wasn't very computer-savvy and was worried about getting in too deep. However, working on Union Cove really opened my eyes about how useful, easy to use, and above all safe mods can be if you know your way around them. I'm really looking forward to having a more open forum, and who knows; I might even install a few choice ones myself.  ;)

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2012, 01:05:23 AM »
I use both, because they do different things.  Overwatch is a bug fixer, and Error Trap is a save game cleanup and error reporting utility.

Thank you. I'm hoping they will improve my games and experiences in Union Cove. I'm still waiting until next week when I get ST and one Stuff Pack. I'm hoping both Error Trap and Overwatch will improve UC performances, along with MC and SP mods.

Offline MoMoll

• Watcher
« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2012, 02:00:20 AM »
I love twallan's story progresion because the townies actually lead a life. People get promoted and demoted, and there is true competition in the workplace. Also you can see where all the sims are and exactly wht they are doing.

Have not had any problem with my game, in fact it works better than before. I still have issues with stuff I bought from EA, before adding any mods.

I welcome the ability to discuss some of the mods, since I'm still experimenting on the best way to use them.

anything