Author Topic: Game Mod Discussion at Carl's Sims 3 Forum  (Read 72692 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Re: Game Mod Discussion at Carl's Sims 3 Forum
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2012, 10:15:18 PM »
Well, what we'll do as to challenges being off limits for modders is ensure that people who want to use them is aware of this tool that lets you select the mod environment you'd like to play in :) Letting them know will let them feel free to experiment without the hassle of repeating the install process.

Offline Piggypox

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2012, 10:16:13 PM »
True to that, I have to admit. But now I've read that Twallan's mods are safe, I think I'm taking the unofficial path as well and install them in my game. I already gave up trying to fix my game the traditional way, LOL. Appaloosa Plains will crash no matter what I do.

Errortrap and Overwatch stopped my game crashes. =) And doesn't really add any new gameplay.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2012, 10:21:29 PM »
I've known Twallan's mods were safe for the longest time. Now to have them back without shame, is a huge weight off my shoulders. Will we be changing rule number five to stop confusion?

I'm really going to go with Error Trap, but I have to wait until I'm patched, so I have the latest version.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2012, 10:23:11 PM »
Yes, we'll definitely need to tweak that rule. I need to remember to do it on the registration agreement too.

Frey

« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2012, 10:27:34 PM »
Errortrap and Overwatch stopped my game crashes. =) And doesn't really add any new gameplay.

Thanks, I will check them and download them after I close my game tonight  ;). I really miss Appaloosa :(.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2012, 10:30:46 PM »
...and there it is, proof of concept that this is a good idea. Someone just got help that may allow them to play the game as intended. Bravo.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2012, 10:31:16 PM »
I'm really going to go with Error Trap, but I have to wait until I'm patched, so I have the latest version.

The only thing that matters is your base game patch level.  If you're patching automatically, you've already got this most likely.

Open the launcher, and hover your mouse over the icon for the base game, and it will tell you what your patch level is.  1.29 is the most current patch level, and the level that all of Twallan's current mods require.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline BunnyFat

• Nooboo
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2012, 10:32:02 PM »
I'm not much of a poster.  I read a lot and I've learned so much from this forum and website. When I got the email about this new discussion I just wanted to jump on the bandwagon, because I was a player that was interested in some mods and I did have to scour the internet for other ways of getting information on them. I have a few of Twallan's mods installed and I enjoy playing my games much more because of them. I'm happy to see that now there may be a safer and more informative place for people to learn about mods.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2012, 10:32:54 PM »
I understand, but what about the patch for Showtime? Will there be a new base patch with the social features and all? That's why I'm waiting until the Showtime patch comes out.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2012, 10:34:05 PM »
Yes, there most likely will be a patch.  I understand now why it might not be a terrible idea to wait.  ;)

Offline ladypieta

• Nooboo
« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2012, 10:40:20 PM »
Well, what we'll do as to challenges being off limits for modders is ensure that people who want to use them is aware of this tool that lets you select the mod environment you'd like to play in :) Letting them know will let them feel free to experiment without the hassle of repeating the install process.

I use this program, its not really a mod, and I can't imagine playing without it.  That way I can partake in challenges (cheats & mods free) and have my "cheat" games in a separate environment.  "Have my cake and eat it too!!" Seriously, love this program.  I can't imagine playing sims without it.   ;D 8)  I will wait for the proper thread to post a link to it  :-X

I have to say I've been a lurker here for a while, but never posted much due to the fact that I use Mods and (CC  :o) and didn't want to break any rules.  Really glad for the change!

~Pieta

Offline rahmbr

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2012, 10:48:52 PM »
I, for one, am very thankful for having a chance to find out more about mods without using another site. I want to understand the mods from people I "know" rather than just some random person. I have never used major tweaking mods because I am afraid and wanted more info, but wasn't allowed to ask. I still may choose to never use them, but having the option and more importantly good knowledge would be appreciated.

Frey

« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2012, 10:51:21 PM »

Would it be "illegal" if anyone told the name of that mod/program now, before the new rule is applied? I would really like to install it now I've decided to go back to cheating modding, but I understand if it's not an option yet  :).

...and there it is, proof of concept that this is a good idea. Someone just got help that may allow them to play the game as intended. Bravo.

Bravo for sure!  ;D

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2012, 11:05:35 PM »
I have to say I've been a lurker here for a while, but never posted much due to the fact that I use Mods and (CC  :o) and didn't want to break any rules.

It's posts like this one that illustrate just how clearly that rule did, in fact, send the wrong message.  And it was a very unfortunate message, too:  how many great people have passed us by because they felt that maybe they had no place here?

I still may choose to never use them, but having the option and more importantly good knowledge would be appreciated.

Yes, this is part of why this rule always bugged me.  Nobody can make informed decisions if there's no information to base those decisions on.

Would it be "illegal" if anyone told the name of that mod/program now, before the new rule is applied? I would really like to install it now I've decided to go back to cheating modding, but I understand if it's not an option yet  :).

Even before today, discussion of mods in PM was never considered illegal.  So, until there's an appropriate place for it, you can ask whomever you wish privately for the information you seek, and have no fear of violating a single rule whatsoever!  Note:  this is not a loophole, but precisely how this rule was meant to function.  So you don't have to feel like you're being sneaky or doing things behind someone's back.

Offline Seera1024

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2012, 11:06:32 PM »
Thank you, Carl, for amending this rule. I'm a fairly avid mod user, especially in TS2. I'm not quite ready to jump into downloading mods from just anyone with TS3 yet, but I do have a few of Twallan's mods.

And I feel my answers in the Technical Help section are sometimes half answers. I can't give them a: well, you can download this mod and it should fix the problem option. I couldn't give them all of the options they had. So I think that beyond the Game Mod board, mod discussion should be opened up in the Technical Help board as long as the mod is on a safe site, is a safe mod, and might possibly be able to fix the problem the poster has.

Now with it being understood that I have no idea what all very common mods do, I would almost suggest that you think again about not using mods for challenges. I'm sure there are mods that don't affect game play and only stabilize, such as the removal of extra cars. I also know someone mentioned a mod that prompts them to automatically save every 15 minutes. Maybe the rule on challenges could potentially be no mods that change gameplay (ie. new skills, careers, faster skilling, extending the sim day, etc.). I will of course respect whatever your take on this suggestion is, but I really think you should give it some thought. I would be so disappointed if my dynasty file became corrupt by something that I KNEW a mod could fix that also didn't change gameplay.

I agree with MoonsAreBlue and Jeana on this. I would love to be able to at least have the non-game play affecting mods in my challenge game folder. Or at least mods that wouldn't create advantages. For a while that was all I played with in TS3. I've only recently decided I know enough what the game is supposed to do to put in the game play affecting mods. I also wouldn't mind if mods that solely affected story progression were allowed, but I will understand if that is not allowed to create simplified rules for official challenges on this forum. I also just realized that this is probably a request that is also directed at Metro since he's the creator of the Dynasty challenges and he's free to rule however he chooses to for those challenges.

anything