Author Topic: Game Mod Discussion at Carl's Sims 3 Forum  (Read 72784 times)

Offline Sciffy Circo

• Nooboo
    • Sciffy Circo on Sims Exchange
Re: Game Mod Discussion at Carl's Sims 3 Forum
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2012, 09:36:45 PM »
I've used mode since Sims 1, and barely understood what I was doing.  Since then, I've learned that there are different flavors:  tuning & scripting, wearables, buyables, create-a-Sim, core mods, and more.  I've learned which mods are most likely to break your game, and where conflicts might be.  I'm still not ready to make my own.

Some of my families, heck yeah, I'm going to cheat, like crazy.  Others, I know how to yank the folder entirely, and make the poor and homeless Sims suffer as they were meant to.  Other stuff, I really do feel it's an improvement, and should have been there since day 1.  I have a mod for custom lot sizes-- have you seen those crazy non-standard bars Late Night has?  I have an auto-save mod, and I don't think I could live without it anymore.  Ironically, I avoided all Twallan's stuff because of all the conflicts I'd heard about.  I'll agree that his stuff is awesome, and I love how he works with everyone to get stuff working, but I've also decided some things are just not for me.

Personally, I can figure out the mods I download.  Some people can't even figure out how to download from anything that's not Sims Exchange.  Obviously, mods are not for them, and I would never even begin with "how to modify an XML file using s3pe".  Who in the what now?  Um, just forget it, before you break your game, okay?  No, seriously.  GAH, I warned you!!!  If you need me to come to your house, and hold your hand, and do it for you, you should not be playing with mods.  If you can read, and understand the directions, AND explain it to somebody else, you might be ready.  If you break your game, and can't even explain what you did, you're not ready for it.  No, I can't fix it if you do that.  I tried to warn you.  (and people think I'm being so mean when I say that, jeez!)

Save, Save As, Backup, and Restore are your friends!  :D
Find me on Facebook, Sciffy's Sims Page

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2012, 09:42:53 PM »
I don't believe this discussion will automatically allow CC in the Swap Shop. I like how the Swap Shop is CC free. As Carl said, Mod discussions will not automatically mean we have frivolous beauty polls and contests like "Vote for the next Legacy Heir/Dynasty Founder" with pretty creepy Sims that have realistic features.

I don't expect it will change.  My comment was that I like coming here because I know I can trust the downloads.  I expect mods will be treated the same as custom content - we can come out of the closet and talk about it here but we still have to go elsewhere to download it.
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Figwit

• Immortal
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2012, 09:47:38 PM »
I'm glad this discussion could be around too. There are so many questions about a mod, I want to use, (Nraas industries), but it's core, so I'm worried that it'll effect my other mods, and fry my new Graphics card.

Twallan's mods are script mods.  They will not fry your graphics card.   

Most of Twallan's mods get on quite well with other mods.  ;D

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2012, 09:49:36 PM »
Does this include the Error Trap? I want to use it, but I'm worried about killing my Graphics card. I hope it'll stop the issues with UC.

I expect mods will be treated the same as custom content - we can come out of the closet and talk about it here but we still have to go elsewhere to download it.

I see where you're coming from now.

Offline Piggypox

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2012, 09:50:59 PM »
It's great to finally see this site acknowledge mods. =) I understand how some might feel about them, especially the breaking game part. I only recently jumped on the bandwagon and I never looked back. Bridgeport was horrible to me and error 12, 16 (you name it) kept popping up. Twallan saved my game and kept me playing the game I love.

I think we all just have to take note of a few things before installing mods.

1. Remember to keep checking with the modders as they update mods. Especially after EA patches are released.
2. Make sure they're compatible with one another. (Modthesims has a handy tool for that)
3. Save often!

By the way, there is a tool which enables you to create different 'environments' for your sims games. Really useful for challenges where you need to play it vanilla. For example, you want to mod the game like crazy in Save A but want to play it mod-free in Save B. You can do that, and it helps if you're testing out a mod without messing up your original save file. =)

Does this include the Error Trap? I want to use it, but I'm worried about killing my Graphics card. I hope it'll stop the issues with UC.

It works just fine. I'm using it now and if anything, it makes it run smoother causing less stress on your graphics card. =)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2012, 09:55:16 PM »
Speaking with Metro about it, I'm sorry but it's just much simpler to say no to adding them into Challenges. Making decisions on what is and isn't allowed would be overwhelming no matter how specific we got with the rule. It's sad but, fixing a buggy game aspect by making it work as intended could give someone a big edge.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2012, 09:57:09 PM »
By the way, there is a tool which enables you to create different 'environments' for your sims games. Really useful for challenges where you need to play it vanilla. For example, you want to mod the game like crazy in Save A but want to play it mod-free in Save B. You can do that, and it helps if you're testing out a mod without messing up your original save file. =)

See, something like this would be perfect for us challenge players who would still like to use a mod or two, but don't because we want to be mod free for the challenge. I know sometime I long for some of the minor tweaks I used to have before I started playing challenges.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Frey

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2012, 10:00:48 PM »
Yes expansions and patches bring in bugs that can break the game, but EA works out most of them.

I will have to disagree with that. There are bugs that came up with World Adventures and still haven't been fixed (and probably never will). And even when they get fixed by a patch, the new patch usually brings new additional bugs to handle. I'm not saying you go and download every mod available to fix bugs and make your game more stable, and I totally respect it if you decide not to use them at all, but there are some nice mods that, if used responsibly, can be really helpful.

Now with it being understood that I have no idea what all very common mods do, I would almost suggest that you think again about not using mods for challenges. I'm sure there are mods that don't affect game play and only stabilize, such as the removal of extra cars. I also know someone mentioned a mod that prompts them to automatically save every 15 minutes. Maybe the rule on challenges could potentially be no mods that change gameplay (ie. new skills, careers, faster skilling, extending the sim day, etc.). I will of course respect whatever your take on this suggestion is, but I really think you should give it some thought. I would be so disappointed if my dynasty file became corrupt by something that I KNEW a mod could fix that also didn't change gameplay.

I totally agree with that. I will respect the no-mods-for-challenges rule if it stays like that, but I think some mods could be allowed. My game has become totally unstable since Pets, and I've heard there's a mod that prevents game-crashing, for example. I have to admit I haven't researched this mod properly yet and I have no idea if it is a good mod or not, but if it is, I would be really thankful if I could use it in my Dynasty. I've already lost more Dynasties than I can count just because of file corruption, blue screen of death, game crashing and so on, so if there's actually a way to prevent it (without changing gameplay, of course) I don't see why it should be banned.

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2012, 10:02:28 PM »
There is no need to fear a flood of mod users on the forum, they've been here hiding among you the whole time.

As to taking away the rudeness rule? No way! Never!
Lol I realized that after I finished reading the posts!! They blend in real well here!  ;D Good, I'm glad to hear that.

Frey, notice I said most? I'm very aware of the WA bugs that haven't been fixed, which is why my current Dynasty will never travel. And it's also true about patches, which is why I normally don't patch up until I've heard at least 2 people that I trust say that it's fine.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2012, 10:06:54 PM »
Speaking with Metro about it, I'm sorry but it's just much simpler to say no to adding them into Challenges. Making decisions on what is and isn't allowed would be overwhelming no matter how specific we got with the rule. It's sad but, fixing a buggy game aspect by making it work as intended could give someone a big edge.

I understand. I will respect those rules, if I decide to play a challenge. However, I'm going back to my mods, and I'm a cheater as is, so I'll take Esther's unofficial route, when I start my immortal dynasties.  ;)

I'm worried that the error trap will go into my CAS uploads here. I don't want that.

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2012, 10:07:18 PM »

That makes sense. Thanks for the consideration, though. I know there are like a bajillion mods, and I completely understand that it would be hard to decide what is and isn't okay.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2012, 10:07:57 PM »
Hosfac, ok the part of cheat codes I get. I used to not talk about using them too, so kinda the same thing. My worry is now the forums will get over run with mod users from the official forums and I know for a fact alot of them are not nice and helpful. I'm not trying to be stubborn, I'm not but this forum is my home away from home and I don't want it becoming anything like the official ones.

It's a legitimate concern, but just because more people might come here from the official forums doesn't mean this place will get nasty like it can get there.  Some nasty people might come here, but if they can't adapt to the culture that exists, and has existed since day one, they're not going to do well here.  This is only a relaxation of a single part of a single rule...the rest of the rules still apply.  That kind of attitude still has no place here, and never will.

I don't believe this discussion will automatically allow CC in the Swap Shop. I like how the Swap Shop is CC free.

Just to be clear here:  The change in this rule applies to mods exclusively.  This in no way, shape, or form opens the door for the discussion of custom content of any kind.  The idea is to help people, who desire it, gain improved functionality of their games.  Custom hairstyles do nothing to this end.  Custom content will still be off limits for discussion and the Swap Shop will remain custom content and mod free.  Period.

I agree with this 100%! I don't see a problem in Metro giving the okay on a mod that would stop Sims from singing an annoying song they learned on Vacation, or fixing corrupt games. Neither one of those give me the advantage of say, the ability to buy life fruit at the store.

Challenges are still scheduled to take place in 100% unmodified games, and Metro is not going to budge even an inch on this one so don't bother trying.  There will be people who will not use mods, and these people should not be placed at an unfair disadvantage because of their personal convictions on this.  This is one playing field that should and will remain 100% level, and I fully stand behind his decision on this.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline Figwit

• Immortal
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2012, 10:08:16 PM »
Jeanamarie, I forgot about ErrorTrap.  Yes, it is a core mod but it will not harm your graphics card.  I doubt if there is any mod that can do that anyway.   :) 

Offline Piggypox

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2012, 10:11:32 PM »
That's good to know. I've trusted your Swap Shop for no unexpected 'presents'. It irritated me whenever I downloaded from the exchange because I often ended up with things I didn't want in the first place. Thank God it hasn't broken my game but I'd always go for CC free given a choice.

Frey

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2012, 10:13:13 PM »
I did notice you said most Esther, I just don't agree with the most part. I don't think that most of them gets fixed, at least not completely. But that's just a personal perspective I guess  :).

Challenges are still scheduled to take place in 100% unmodified games, and Metro is not going to budge even an inch on this one so don't bother trying.  There will be people who will not use mods, and these people should not be placed at an unfair disadvantage because of their personal convictions on this.  This is one playing field that should and will remain 100% level, and I fully stand behind his decision on this.

True to that, I have to admit. But now I've read that Twallan's mods are safe, I think I'm taking the unofficial path as well and install them in my game. I already gave up trying to fix my game the traditional way, LOL. Appaloosa Plains will crash no matter what I do.

anything