Author Topic: Game Mod Discussion at Carl's Sims 3 Forum  (Read 72694 times)

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
Re: Game Mod Discussion at Carl's Sims 3 Forum
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2012, 08:37:59 PM »
I can attest to this. He installed a few, and started telling me how great they are. He was using Twallan's Woohooer that turns woohoo into a skill, and I think another mod involving vampire factions.

Lol those are two I don't use regularly (I have specific games for them).  The ones I won't play without are Master Controller, Error Trap and Overwatch.  These just fix bugs, do background maintenance so that the game continues to run well (like delete excess cars...about 50 a day), and gives me unprecedented control over my towns.

I could kill every townie in Sunset Valley with a single click, if i was so inclined.  Muhahahaha!

I also started using Twallan's story progression mod recently, and it's quite interesting.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline KrispyNickyB

• Immortal
  • The round peg in a square hole.
    • Subscribe to me on Youtube!
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2012, 08:42:29 PM »
@Hosfac - Just watch the settings on that or you'll have more townies and a baby boom ya can't handle! ;)

@jeanamariex3 - I'm glad my friend and I weren't the only ones. She did leave here. She only ghosts to read my stories. I've stuck it out. I thank gerr and Hosfac for that fact.

All in all I think discussion on mods should be allowed. However, it does need to be watched. It's only fair that those of us that use them feel welcomed also.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline kattiq

• Watcher
  • Oh feebee lay!
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2012, 08:42:52 PM »
I'm in agreement with Carl and opening up the discussion for mod. I, myself do not use any grand number of mods I just use some to help enhance a technical aspect of the game, and one to help remind me to save every so often! I used to use a lot more, but have cut down due to the fact I basically only play my dynasty now. However, I only use Twallan's mods because they are really the only ones I trust! After this I might just figure out some more to install like Master controller, and Overwatch. My game is being loaded down WAY to much!

I think as long as the mods are used in a beneficial manner, there is no harm done! I'm looking forward to seeing what this new and improved rule has in store for us.  As many have said before, I have had more trouble out of CC than a mod so if you research and choose your mods wisely from reputable sites then I think it's alright. :)

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2012, 08:50:09 PM »
I think MC has cheating bits in the mod, but that and story progression are the two biggest mods I use.

MC just allows you to easier change the settings to give you better control of the town.  It's all localized on City Hall and any in game PC your sims have access to.  It also incorporates a lot of the "testingcheatsenabled" functions.

Edit:  but we're not quite to the point to where we can be discussing the specific functions just yet.  This is all a bit off-topic as this thread was meant to address concerns you might have with changing the policy, or making public the issues you had with the policy in the first place.  So let's do our best to keep it in that vein for now.  ;)
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

sirenprincess

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2012, 08:59:13 PM »
I am soooooo glad to see this change!  I have to admit that I considered this a site I *couldn't* trust when it came to a lot of discussions because discussion of mods was forbidden.  To me, that meant that answers were censored and probably only half the answer.  I didn't want censored answers, I wanted honest, full answers.  Allowing people to talk candidly about mods is terrific.  Now site users can get the full story and make decisions for themselves.  Excellent!

I do think it might be a good idea to clarify the PG-13 rule.  Is only LINKING to non-PG-13 sites forbidden or is TALKING about mods hosted on non-PG-13 sites forbidden?  It would probably be helpful to give a list of a couple okay site names just as an example in the rules.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2012, 09:03:23 PM »
I'm glad you all are so eager to share the mods you use with one another. That much is very, very clear right now and I'm learning a lot about them just reading this thread. We will need dedicated topics for the most popular mods. I have a feeling they will pop up overnight, as people will want the honor of being first to mention their favorite. I feel bad that I didn't do this sooner, I knew it turned some folks off and am now seeing how it impacted a lot more than we ever thought. Given all the forums out there, I'm glad we had that something special to keep you around.. those of you who didn't just leave, anyway. Given how moddable the game is, and the variety of things they can do, a big percent of Simmers must use them.

I just use some to help enhance a technical aspect of the game, and one to help remind me to save every so often!

Now that's a mod everyone should use! Lol.

Offline KrispyNickyB

• Immortal
  • The round peg in a square hole.
    • Subscribe to me on Youtube!
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2012, 09:06:33 PM »
Carl as a suggestion when you create the board. You could create the topics for the big mods at the same time. That way you don't the giant leap in topics that pop up.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2012, 09:09:34 PM »
Oh, thank goodness!! I am so excited to see that you've changed your mind, Carl. I have been having a lot of issues since the release of Pets, and just in the past month, I've decided to try out some mods to try to help my game. I knew Twallan is very reputable and has safe mods, so I downloaded a few, but I have no idea what all they can do. I will now look forward to being able to ask the trusted members here specific questions about mods.

Now with it being understood that I have no idea what all very common mods do, I would almost suggest that you think again about not using mods for challenges. I'm sure there are mods that don't affect game play and only stabilize, such as the removal of extra cars. I also know someone mentioned a mod that prompts them to automatically save every 15 minutes. Maybe the rule on challenges could potentially be no mods that change gameplay (ie. new skills, careers, faster skilling, extending the sim day, etc.). I will of course respect whatever your take on this suggestion is, but I really think you should give it some thought. I would be so disappointed if my dynasty file became corrupt by something that I KNEW a mod could fix that also didn't change gameplay.

But again, I am very glad that we will be able to discuss mods now. I have so many questions. :)

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2012, 09:11:13 PM »
I do think it might be a good idea to clarify the PG-13 rule.  Is only LINKING to non-PG-13 sites forbidden or is TALKING about mods hosted on non-PG-13 sites forbidden?  It would probably be helpful to give a list of a couple okay site names just as an example in the rules.

I think it means both. Don't link to a website with inappropriate content on the front page, and don't link to a mod that will create inappropriate situations like what you see on MTV's 16 and Pregnant/Teen Mom.  :)

I'm sure there are mods that don't affect game play and only stabilize, such as the removal of extra cars. I also know someone mentioned a mod that prompts them to automatically save every 15 minutes. Maybe the rule on challenges could potentially be no mods that change gameplay (ie. new skills, careers, faster skilling, extending the sim day, etc.). I will of course respect whatever your take on this suggestion is, but I really think you should give it some thought. I would be so disappointed if my dynasty file became corrupt by something that I KNEW a mod could fix that also didn't change gameplay.

I agree with this 100%! I don't see a problem in Metro giving the okay on a mod that would stop Sims from singing an annoying song they learned on Vacation, or fixing corrupt games. Neither one of those give me the advantage of say, the ability to buy life fruit at the store.

Carl as a suggestion when you create the board. You could create the topics for the big mods at the same time. That way you don't the giant leap in topics that pop up.

We should have different mod categories, plus a sticky topic where the people who use mods could gather a list of info on the sites they trust, and that will still make the game appropriate.

Offline Asleep

• Watcher
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2012, 09:13:59 PM »
Thank you for changing that rule. I had a question I wanted to ask about twallan's mod, but  I didn't know where to ask.
Formerly Simstar3

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2012, 09:18:49 PM »
I do have an open mind about most things Salty. But, for several years that open mind has been filled with stuff like mods are bad, mods break games, don't even attempt to use them and the like. So now that open mind has less openess than it did a few years ago.

Yes expansions and patches bring in bugs that can break the game, but EA works out most of them. Who would fix my game if it became unplayable because of a mod? When I have a problem now, I feel confident talking about it here because I have no mods. When it lagged really bad, I posted in the technical help board and tried everything that was suggested except a mod. Thanks for adding that about challenges. I just don't know about mods. I thought the rules were going to stay the same. I hope you never remove the one that says watch your mouth and be friendly. I know normally people say if you don't like it, leave but I know you would never say that and while I may not like this, I wouldn't leave because of it.

I guess Twinmum, I know a factory reset creates a new folder.

Thanks for clearing the linking part up Carl, I was worried about it.

Jeana, I'm not saying I want a mod, all I'm asking is what will happen if I keep playing with a chipset? That part of your post terrfies me as I have yet to get a new card, and am indeed still playing the game even though the pets look weird.

Hosfac, ok the part of cheat codes I get. I used to not talk about using them too, so kinda the same thing. My worry is now the forums will get over run with mod users from the official forums and I know for a fact alot of them are not nice and helpful. I'm not trying to be stubborn, I'm not but this forum is my home away from home and I don't want it becoming anything like the official ones.

Turning Woohoo into a skill? *Snort* Alot of my sims would be level 10 lol.

Honestly, I'm surprised that the people that have posted here stating they use them, are the people I've known forever and find it totally shocking that they use them. Wow! And no I don't think any less of you guys, you all know I love ya!  ;D

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2012, 09:23:50 PM »
So sorry, Esther. You're right. No one thinks less of us for cheating, so people like you who don't so mods, wouldn't think less of the people who do. ;D

If the people who were rude and hostile on the official forum were to come here with their nasty attitudes, they'd be banned and lose their posting privileges for posting here the same way they do on the official forum.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2012, 09:25:48 PM »

I'm glad we opened this for discussion. That's a great idea. Someone else mentioned making examples of good sites to link to. I'll do that too.

I think it means both. Don't link to a website with inappropriate content on the front page, and don't link to a mod that will create inappropriate situations like what you see on MTV's 16 and Pregnant/Teen Mom.  :)

You are right. It is both.

I'm sure much worse things come up on that show, but Twallan's Woohooer does allow for teen pregnancy in the form of an option. Making a judgment call on that one, I want to allow it because of how interesting and well designed it is. Additionally, the option is a side feature to the greater whole. I'm going to use it myself (leaving teen pregnancy disabled). Teen pregnancy is an unfortunate reality, and I'm sure it would make a Sim teen's life appropriately more difficult. Now, there is an addon of sorts for that which I will not allow because it creates an inappropriate way for Sims to make money. I will handle starting the topic about that mod so I can direct the conversation.

I'm sure other things of that nature may come up. The line will definitely be tiptoed if not outright crossed by some mods, and we'll have to decide what's OK and isn't at times. I don't mind and will seek the wisdom of the staff when I'm in doubt.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2012, 09:31:34 PM »
I'm glad this discussion could be around too. There are so many questions about a mod, I want to use, (Nraas industries), but it's core, so I'm worried that it'll effect my other mods, and fry my new Graphics card.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2012, 09:33:59 PM »
That is correct about rude people having a short time here. There is no need to fear a flood of mod users on the forum, they've been here hiding among you the whole time. Now, the board will indeed be attractive to more people, but we are still going to be a friendly place. That's 100% certain.

As to taking away the rudeness rule? No way! Never! In fact, in adjustment of this rule all of the ones that have bothered me will be gone. I want this place open to people who play Sims 3 and enjoy it in any way. Not talking about mods abandons a large part of the community and sends them elsewhere for their discussion. I do not want people to walk on eggshells here with what they can/can't talk about. With this rule change the environment is 100% free to talk about Sims gameplay.

I am really glad this happened now. That rule was something I wasn't too fond of carrying along up into Sims 4 :P