Author Topic: Game Mod Discussion at Carl's Sims 3 Forum  (Read 72746 times)

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
Game Mod Discussion at Carl's Sims 3 Forum
« on: February 27, 2012, 06:38:26 PM »
For a long time, I've questioned one of the rules on this forum, a rule that I helped create. The outlawing of game modification talk here makes them appear wrong to use or an evil that must be avoided. It is clear by our atmosphere that we've given that impression, simply because such a rule exists.  It is easy to do so simply by enforcing the rule over time, editing posts and telling people not to bring them up again. There ARE bad mods out there that can mess up your game, but most are beneficial to players in some way. They can improve the game in both the fun and stability departments, and that's something most people will want more and more as time goes by.

So, disliking this rule has a history for me. With the recent arrival of UC, created with one of these mods, it's bothering me even more. I was very annoyed to try to give twallan credit for his mod, which allows populated worlds, and find that I could not link directly to Nraas because of my own rule. I linked to the wikia instead to keep the guide in line with the forum rules. :( So, after discussion came up with someone a little later, I talked with several moderators about it then approached the entire staff. Most see allowing discussion here as a logical thing to do and several confessed to their own use of game mods.

With the current state of things, we outlaw mod discussion and members go to search engines like Google to get their mods. They cannot be told specifically by a member what mod fixes this issue, or adds this gameplay feature. In investigating them blindly, they are more at risk than anyone would ever be were links here on the forum. There is very little risk in allowing linking in posts. It's not like you wouldn't know you were going to a mod site. If you don't like them or want them, you don't have to follow the link or pay attention to the post. There are many sites that are free of graphic content and maintain a PG-13 rating. They should be perfectly acceptable to link to with no ban on discussing the specific mods they offer.

Here's what I'm planning: On March 6, when Showtime launches, I will create a board for game modification talk. This will keep the discussion separate for people who do not like mods. People will be able to link and mention them where applicable on other boards, although any topic created specifically about mods will go to the board. Any mod sites linked must be free of adult content that breaks the game's Teen rating. We are not going to screen every site but if it is there, rest assured we will be told about it. You won't get in trouble if it's something buried on their site and not easy to reach so don't worry. Just be confident you would vouch for the site to a parent. All rules will be modified to fit this new policy.

The things you like about this forum will not be changed as a result. It is still a clean forum with a moderation staff that is quick to respond to problems. We will still have the friendliest community around, simply because we enforce our rules and keep rude people quiet. Instead of being so strict to people who wish they could talk about them here, let's allow them to educate others about the cool mods they find and assist them in using it. We don't need to lay this burden on some moderator, I am confident enough of you already know about mods and won't mind helping someone out!

Please Note: I am not referring to CC (hair, unique objects, nudity skins). We do not want to have to screen them so no direct linking to CC. They're really just pretties and shouldn't be something we talk about on a forum that forbids frivolous topics anyway ;) It is OK if sites have both mods and CC but the focus will be mods. Items on the Swap Shop  must remain CC-free and never require a mod to be functional. We'll still be watching for that, so don't even do it. It is a special place where people know they will get only what they see in the image. Mods will still be banned in Challenges, because they could inflate the player's score.

Share your thoughts on this change. Please remember that this does not have to impact you personally, although you just might hear about something so cool you've gotta have it and take the plunge! There are many expansion packs' worth of content out there, just waiting to be tried. It can be removed, and with a backup save file and a clearing of caches your game is as good as new.

I used our email announcement system this time to ensure that everyone who's registered and has more than 5 posts knows about this change. This will ensure members are aware of their opportunity to chime in on the discussion. If it annoys you to get both this and the UC notification email within a day, I'm sorry. Most of you know I rarely send something like this but this happens to be a big change for us. If you NEVER want an announcement from our forum, you can turn them off from your profile setup.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
Re: Game Mod Discussion at Carl's Sims 3 Forum
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 06:44:17 PM »
I'm okay with it. It makes me feel more secure knowing I'm not the only person that has used/still sometimes uses mods. After a PM from a moderator that this sort of discussion wasn't allowed, using mods was the one thing I was always kind of embarrassed about when I found out the rule. So knowing I'm not alone, having a separate thread would really mean a lot to me.  :) I've been well aware of these features long before Union Cove was even in the works, so knowing there are other people out there in my boat, would be great.

To be honest, if this were my forum, these sort of things would be allowed, along with CC, but under the same rule you're applying, plus my own: No bringing up Mods that break the T for Teen Rating, and only use it from trusted websites and creators. (I don't mean this in a snide way at all. I mean this in a friendly, helpful way.)

As always, I will never force anyone into something they don't want to do. If a person doesn't want to use MODS, that's their choice. It's perfectly fine. I have, and always will, respect their decision.  :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 06:59:23 PM »
What? Carl, you know I love this forum and everything about it. But one of the things I loved about it was no mods. After hearing that they can really make a game unplayable, why would you do this? I can't quote you because the option isn't there, but this is your words. "Yeah, that's a great explanation of why most of us don't fool with them. With the game as unstable as it is, I don't need another reason for a problem to crop up." Taken from This thread. I don't have a problem with mods per se because I have never used them and never will. But isn't this like telling people it's ok to use them? What happens when that person uses them and their game becomes unplayable? Also what happens in the challenges? I never use them and would be at a huge disadvantage over someone that does. Have you thought of this the whole way through? I understand Twallan creates them and I didn't know he helped with UC, but that's all well and good. I'm not saying anything bad about him, but some mods create more mess than help.

I respect others decision too but I have always loved the no mod rule and I trust all the links here to be safe to click. Now I'd be afraid a link would take me somewhere I don't want to go.  :(

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 07:04:27 PM »
That is why there is this discussion thread, so at least people can be led in the right direction to what mods are good ones.  There is mods, like Carl said, that make the games more playable and get rid of some the problems that we have with our games.   I think it is a good idea.  Twallan probably has made the best mods and I am sure he would be happy to answer any questions people might have.  I guess we just need to have an open mind and I am sure Carl knows what he is doing.  If someone does not want to use them, then they do not have to.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 07:09:20 PM »
Mods can break the game, yeah. Just like expansions, but things change over time. I wasn't out shopping for mods back then because of the possibility for a bad one and not wanting to experiment to find the good ones. Over two years in we have tons of good ones to choose from.

Challenge rules stay the same. Of all the things I remembered to mention, I forgot that one. I'll edit it in.

Edit: Oh yes, there is also the point that mods can be uninstalled. If you make a backup save before using them, you can revert to a pre-mod state in a few fairly simple steps.

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2012, 07:10:01 PM »
I think it's good to open up the discussion a bit to include mods. I have used mods myself extensively with Sims and Sims 2 and also a few with Sims 3.  It's true that a lot of mods can make gameplay easier/more enjoyable to players without actually hurting anything. A board dedicated to this topic will be good for advising people what is available and what is good. I can see too, that it could be used to advise against any 'bad' mods and so we could be helping to keep player's game files 'healthy'.
I agree that having Twallan here is a good thing, I have used many of his mods and always trusted him to create 'safe' ones. His knowledge will be very valuable.

Addressing your query about challenges Esther, I think the challenges will always be mod free. There have been topics concerning how to have one game with CC and one without. I think there would be a way to do this with mods too. Removing mods is not that hard to do, and as long as people are aware that they need to remove them for a challenge, it shouldn't be a problem.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 07:20:16 PM »

I agree that having Twallan here is a good thing, I have used many of his mods and always trusted him to create 'safe' ones. His knowledge will be very valuable.

I agree. The rule, and using Twallan's mods, made me feel ashamed, for knowing this sort of deal, like I wasn't allowed to know about it. This was pre-UC though. The reason why they would be banned for challenges though, is because mods can give you more advantages than most, that would otherwise enhance your game play. That's not fair, and it's worse than cheating.

I think there needs to be a moderator, and someone else over 18 (it doesn't have to be a mod, but it should be someone, who knows the different third party/mod websites), and Twallan too, to approve the mods being shared to make sure they don't have anything over the T for Teen rating, and that the website is safe.

I always wanted to suggest these things, but never could.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Enchanted81

• Townie
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 07:20:51 PM »
I agree with Saltypaws. One of the things that always worried me about Sims 3 was the lack of fps limiting, I ended up frying my video card due to it. After an extensive amount of research, I found a mod that limits my fps to no higher than 30. Some things the development team of the game overlook can be game breaking just as much as the bad mods out there.
Feel free to add me on Origin & the Sims 3 site: Enchanted81

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 07:24:11 PM »
I wanted to make sure you saw this part and not edit it back into my previous post:

I respect others decision too but I have always loved the no mod rule and I trust all the links here to be safe to click. Now I'd be afraid a link would take me somewhere I don't want to go.  :(

I know that means a lot to you. Don't worry though, for one thing most people who are linking to a mod site are going to identify what they're talking about so you'll know what it is before you ever go. Also, these sites are perfectly safe to load, it's not like they shove anything onto your computer. In fact, there are several steps to install Sims 3 mods manually, unless you use some form of manager software (I'm sure they exist). The mod sites are often ad-supported like ours and rely on people feeling safe to browse their site. I'm sure there are some bad ones out there, but the same is true for all sites.

I think there needs to be a moderator, and someone else over 18 (it doesn't have to be a mod, but it should be someone, who knows the different third party/mod websites), and Twallan too, to approve the mods being shared to make sure they don't have anything over the T for Teen rating, and that the website is safe.

I think that I will just rely on users to report links to sites that contain obvious mature content. We won't actually be offering downloads here. It is up to the member to vouch for the site they're linking to and failure to do so could result in a removal of posting privileges for an appropriate length of time. We haven't had a lot of trouble out of members with bad links. This board would see more than usual given the nature of discussion, but I suspect a lot of links will be coming from a select group of sites that all monitor their own content.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 07:32:38 PM »
One community of this sort of thing I have an account with, I think is considered the most respected community, and even EA knows all about it. This website always scans and tests their content before putting it up for downloads to make sure it is 100% safe.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 07:34:00 PM »
Modthesims?

Offline KJSinclair

• Townie
  • I may have a sharp tongue but I have a soft heart
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 07:36:04 PM »
I also love this site because of the 'no mod rule'. However there have been times where I have come across a mod and wanted more information from a place that I trust, this doesn't mean that every member will now go and install mods, but I think being open to the discussion and getting information and guidance in a place that we already trust can only be a step in the right direction. To close your eyes and want to pretend they don't exist in order to keep your game 'clean' is fine, but I know that some of these mods have the possibility of making and unplayable game actually playable for some.

I don't think it strays away from the ideology of this site, in fact it opens our group up to having real trust-able information and therefore make informed decisions. I want to be able to ask questions and get answers, I don't think that it will change my usage of these mods but it will educate in a safe environment. 

Kindest regards
KJ
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes we have to wait a long time for the reason to become clear.

Offline ladydragon76

• Townie
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 07:42:00 PM »
This is great!  I am VERY cautious about the mods I use (overwatch being one that has improved the stability of my game so well, I haven't had a single loss or crash since discovering it), and would love to have reliable information on other ones.

I definitely look forward to hearing what other things people have found that improve the game.  Thank you!
I reject your reality, and substitute my own!

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2012, 07:47:14 PM »
Modthesims?

Yes! I have a registered account there. I'm a bit more of a downloader/lurker though. I didn't know if I could mention that site just yet.

I don't think it strays away from the ideology of this site, in fact it opens our group up to having real trust-able information and therefore make informed decisions. I want to be able to ask questions and get answers, I don't think that it will change my usage of these mods but it will educate in a safe environment. 

I agree with this. I don't think giving people links to something that will stop the annoying singing in WA or stop the memory system will automatically make the forum inappropriate. Pam will still step in, along with our mods, if she finds a link to a mod inappropriate, when this comes up, and the website will still be friendly.

I doubt anyone here will start using those skins that make Sims prettier creepier, just because Carl bends the rules a bit.

EDIT: About the website, I wanted to give them an article about playing with onboard graphics, in a Pets thread a while back, but I was worried about getting banned for doing so. It wasn't about mods, but it was about what happens to your game, if you keep playing with chipsets.

Offline birdy

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 07:48:42 PM »
I think this is a great idea. I am a loyal fan of Twallan's and have used only his mods for a long time. I would love to share my knowledge and learn things from other Twallan users.

I really appreciate this site because it's so thorough and extremely safe/friendly. I don't think allowing mod talk will dampen that in any way. :)

anything