Author Topic: Game Mod Discussion at Carl's Sims 3 Forum  (Read 72649 times)

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
Re: Game Mod Discussion at Carl's Sims 3 Forum
« Reply #240 on: March 02, 2012, 09:41:42 AM »
I usually remove the old version of those mods, and replace it with the new, just to be on the safe side.

Will this affect my current saves at all? I'm supposing not?

Right, just so I'm sure: I actually delete the Overwatch package inside the packages part of my mods folder, then go and download the patched version once I've patched up? That's it? Right, I'm ready to go! 8)

Offline wednesday21

• Lurker
  • Occult
  • Joker is slightly amused.
« Reply #241 on: March 02, 2012, 09:57:54 AM »
I usually remove the old version of those mods, and replace it with the new, just to be on the safe side.

Does anyone here use pose player? I have always wanted to use it, (I've been going back to mods recently, but never used that one), but I'm worried it will conflict with Twallan's mods.

I don't use neither of these mods, but Twallan has a similar mod that performs the same task. It is called [[Animator]] and has been updated for patch 1.31.

I am very excited for the mod board opening. I will try my best to contribute to this part of the forum especially mainly because mods are one subject I am quite knowledgeable of. Will mod discussion be allowed elsewhere, besides the board and this topic? I'm guessing the answer is positive but a short clarification would be good.

Twallan has updated the following of his mods to patch version 1.31.

• Animator
  • AntiMagicScroll
  • Consigner
  • DebugEnabler
  • Decensor
  • Dreamer
  • Dresser
  • GoHere
  • HomeOpener
  • MasterController
  • Mover
  • OnceRead
  • Overwatch
  • Porter
  • Register
  • Relativity
  • RelationshipPanel
  • Saver
  • SecondImage
  • Selector
  • Shooless
  • SleepFreedom
  • StoryProgression
  • Traffic
  • Traveler
  • UntranslatedKey
  • Woohooer

The following of his mods are not updated yet.

• Careers
  • ErrorTrap
  • NoCD
  • PortraitPanel
  • WrittenWord

Please don't update your game to 1.31 yet if you are using [[ErrorTrap]]. It's a core mod that needs to be updated to the exact patch level you are on. Hopefully Twallan will get to updating this one too ASAP.

P.S. - xFezIsAFreakx; yes that is the way you do it. Delete the old .package file and replace it with the newly downloaded one.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #242 on: March 02, 2012, 10:17:34 AM »
I saw this link at the TS3 site.

http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/06/faq-how-do-i-uninstall-a-modhack.html

It brings up more questions for the new board. Injector mods? Core mods? This could use a sticky thread with just general information.

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #243 on: March 02, 2012, 10:21:04 AM »
Thank you very much, Wednesday! :)

Offline wednesday21

• Lurker
  • Occult
« Reply #244 on: March 02, 2012, 10:43:02 AM »

It brings up more questions for the new board. Injector mods? Core mods? This could use a sticky thread with just general information.

Here you go.

http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/modshacks.html

That is all you need to know about mod types. There are 4 main types as noted in the article. XML or Tuning mods, Non-Core mods, Object mods and Core mods.

Examples of XML/Tuning mods are many at ModTheSims; those usually conflict with each other if they edit the same game file. If I'm correct, Twallan's mods are mostly non-core; those can be used safely with other mods and usually don't require updating with the smaller patches like 1.29. Two famous core mods are [[AwesomeMod]] by J.M.Pescado and Twallan's [[ErrorTrap]]; those ALWAYS require updating because they change core files.

Also, below is a very useful guide for patching when using CC or mods.

http://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/tutorial-what-to-do-before-patching.html

TL;DR - If you're unsure that a mod will break your game or corrupt your save file or not, use Town/Reset Everything option in Twallan's [[MasterController]] mod. Make sure to always check with the creator for new patch version updates of the mods you are using nevertheless.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #245 on: March 02, 2012, 11:15:32 AM »
Will mod discussion be allowed elsewhere, besides the board and this topic? I'm guessing the answer is positive but a short clarification would be good.

I'm guessing yes because otherwise we'd run into the same old problem of having to be hush hush in certain circumstances (anywhere else but the mod board). So it kind of runs against the grain of lightening up the restrictions in the first place. The main reason Carl wants to create the new board is one of organization so players simply know where to go to discuss mods. So, if it's anything like the Challenge/Dynasty board — 95% of all related discussion will indeed be on that board. But, someone will be talking in the Babble thread or wherever and mention a mod or their Dynasty. Hey, fine. No biggie.

Offline birdy

• Llama Wrangler
Re: Re: Game Mod Discussion at Carl's Sims 3 Forum
« Reply #246 on: March 02, 2012, 11:44:58 AM »
I'm guessing yes because otherwise we'd run into the same old problem of having to be hush hush in certain circumstances (anywhere else but the mod board). So it kind of runs against the grain of lightening up the restrictions in the first place.

I hope you are right! I was wondering the same thing myself, as already there have been a couple of occasions when I wanted to mention a mod, such as in my realistic ages thread. I wanted to point out that I use Twallan's Relativity mod to make time pass more realistically, and this would impact what makes ages realistic, but I wasn't sure mod discussion outside of this thread was allowed yet.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline bobbittx

• Nooboo
« Reply #247 on: March 02, 2012, 12:22:03 PM »

Crinrict has many, many great articles about common pitfalls that come up in modding. Great articles on how to identify and remove bad mods.

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
« Reply #248 on: March 02, 2012, 02:42:24 PM »
I would advise simply checking the Nraas wiki frequently as opposed to posting updates here :) Twallan works very fast and even if you share what he has finished for the night, it will change quickly the next day and become outdated. I think if people would like to use mods, they ought to get into the habit of checking themselves for updates regularly. Every one is responsible for his or her own game.

AdnaanA

« Reply #249 on: March 02, 2012, 02:48:28 PM »
I've got a couple of questions about mods:
1. What does errortrap and stopwatch do?
2. Does woohooer have skill and skill challenges?
3. What is the master controller/ how does it works?
4. How many portraits does PortraitPanel Allow?

Offline wednesday21

• Lurker
  • Occult
« Reply #250 on: March 02, 2012, 02:54:41 PM »
I would advise simply checking the Nraas wiki frequently as opposed to posting updates here :) Twallan works very fast and even if you share what he has finished for the night, it will change quickly the next day and become outdated. I think if people would like to use mods, they ought to get into the habit of checking themselves for updates regularly. Every one is responsible for his or her own game.

Otherwise you could subscribe via email. Sign up for his wiki @ [[http://nraas.wikispaces.com/]], then go to [[http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Update+History/]] and follow the instructions there. You will receive an e-mail each time he edits the page.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #251 on: March 02, 2012, 03:00:14 PM »
I remember always checking back with updates, when I used Master Controller Pre-Generations.

I just got home from work just in time for the updates. Do you think Twallan can sticky, on this forum for updates?  :)

Offline NonaMena

• Townie
    • Nona's Sims
« Reply #252 on: March 02, 2012, 03:04:54 PM »
Otherwise you could subscribe via email. Sign up for his wiki @ [[http://nraas.wikispaces.com/]], then go to [[http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Update+History/]] and follow the instructions there. You will receive an e-mail each time he edits the page.

Yes, that is very handy and I am subscribed myself. I check frequently anyhow :)

I remember always checking back with updates, when I used Master Controller Pre-Generations.

I just got home from work just in time for the updates. Do you think Twallan can sticky, on this forum for updates?  :)

Don't you think it's a bit much to ask Twallan to keep track of his updates on more than one site? He posts on other forums as well, such a MTS, the official forums, simsasylum and more. Imagine if he let everyone at all of those different forums know about updates? That would be a lot of extra work. I think it's enough if he updates his wiki :) And like Wednesday21 said, it's even easier to know stuff is up to date if you subscribe via e-mail.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
« Reply #253 on: March 02, 2012, 03:21:28 PM »
Sorry about that. I'm still waiting for Error Trap, and I just downloaded CAW, so when Error Trap is released for 1.31, I will test this out with Union Cove.  :)

Offline Fluffy Puff

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #254 on: March 02, 2012, 05:50:21 PM »
I'm super excited about this change, even though I haven't been here long. Twallan's mods not only solved my fishing (inventory) issue, but they also made it so I can play without having to worry about my sims being deleted while I'm not playing with them. I wouldn't want to play without them.

anything