Author Topic: Question about CAS cheat  (Read 5190 times)

Offline unicornfan85

• Townie
  • Audra
    • My Sims Blog
Question about CAS cheat
« on: January 23, 2012, 05:29:35 AM »
I wasn't sure where to put this.  So if it's in the wrong place, please move.

The last time I used testingcheatsEnabled, my game got really glitching, but I want to be able to change my future twins (hopefully) when they come to match what I want them to be.  So what can I do to prevent the glitching? 

I will save before I do it to be sure that if it is glitching badly I can just go back to a past save.  I do wonder though if I made a copy of the family after the change and saved in the bin would it be glitching to?

Southern Girl Since December 1985

Offline twallan

• Townie
Re: Question about CAS cheat
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 03:46:50 PM »
Is "glitching" a common well-known term used on this forum ?  My apologies if it is, as I am fairly new here.

Unfortunately, to me, the term does not really mean anything specific.  Perhaps you may want to elaborate on what issues you are encountering after using the "testingcheatsenabled on" command.

Since I always play the game with that command active, it would be nice to know of any issues associated with its use.

:)
NRaas Industries.  Saving Sims games from becoming doorstops since 2009.

Forum Rules

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline CSquared2

• Watcher
  • Got nooboo?
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 03:49:49 PM »
Completely unrelated to the OP's question, I totally just got the starstruck moodlet.

OMGtwallan!

loveSims

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 04:16:02 PM »
@Unicornfan85 what kind of glithes did you get?

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 04:20:07 PM »
Is "glitching" a common well-known term used on this forum ?  My apologies if it is, as I am fairly new here.

Unfortunately, to me, the term does not really mean anything specific.  Perhaps you may want to elaborate on what issues you are encountering after using the "testingcheatsenabled on" command.

Since I always play the game with that command active, it would be nice to know of any issues associated with its use.

First, welcome to our forum, I'm having the exact same reaction as CSquared ;D and you can tell I'm more than thrilled to see you here!

Now, the term "Glitching" isn't very common here but it isn't new neither. I'm assuming unicornfan is refearing to the situation when all the little buggs start to happen - objects stuck in hands and/or in inventories, Sims frozen everywhere, map tags missing, etc.. it is a sign that saved file will most likely become corrupted - leading to missing/invisible Sims or saved file not loadable at all.

On official forum I read couple of posts that claim that leaving such a cheat open create more possibilities for something to go wrong. Game mechanism is something you are much more familiar with, and I haven't seen any connection with corrupted game and testingcheats open - so far at least. 

To answer to Unicornfan - I wouldn't risk it. I had to gave up on dynasty after 6 generations after several minor issues - ghosts not going back to urns, objects stuck in hand, standing while sleaping, etc all seemed minor and temporary, but eventually it wasn't playable.

I'm still having the starstruck moodlet ;D

Offline twallan

• Townie
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 05:12:10 PM »
objects stuck in hands and/or in inventories, Sims frozen everywhere, map tags missing

Hmm...  Those particular issues are pretty common, and occur for a wide variety of reasons :  Some of which are correctable, some of which are not.

However, I believe they are unrelated to the use of "testingcheatsenabled on".

However as you noted, if unicornfan85 is not comfortable using the command, it is probably best to simply avoid its use.

Forum Rules

Offline unicornfan85

• Townie
  • Audra
    • My Sims Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 08:52:27 PM »
It got so bad that I had to quit the file I was playing and go back to a past save.  So it looks like I'll have to keep her faves.  I don't like them, they are nothing what I wanted for her.  Also, I'll have to use the mid-life crisis lifetime reward as soon as I can so that she has all the traits I want her to.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 08:59:01 PM »
Hmm...  Those particular issues are pretty common, and occur for a wide variety of reasons :  Some of which are correctable, some of which are not.

However, I believe they are unrelated to the use of "testingcheatsenabled on".

However as you noted, if unicornfan85 is not comfortable using the command, it is probably best to simply avoid its use.

I agree that it's probably not related to use of testing cheats.  I believe it was a problem in Sims 2, but not with Sims 3.

It got so bad that I had to quit the file I was playing and go back to a past save.  So it looks like I'll have to keep her faves.  I don't like them, they are nothing what I wanted for her.  Also, I'll have to use the mid-life crisis lifetime reward as soon as I can so that she has all the traits I want her to.

If you like, we give some thought to your specific glitches if you'll give us some details.  Also, we'll be able to walk you through changing traits, favorites, or other things done with testing cheats.  Just remember that we need very specific information from you to do so.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

loveSims

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 05:10:08 AM »
I'm glad to hear that Pam, because I use that cheat a lot. Move objects on was very risky in sims2, I'm still afraid to use it lol.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 07:17:56 AM »
Testingcheats is the only cheat that I leave on and I don't really have any problems, as of yet.  Just the normal issues that most people have and those happen, even with testingcheats off.  I do know that I have forgotten to turn "moveobjects" off and had more lags and crashes, until I realized it was still on.
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline unicornfan85

• Townie
  • Audra
    • My Sims Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 08:59:59 AM »
I'm in the process of uninstalling and reinstalling my game.  So maybe that will help.  I saved a copy of my saved games to my desktop so that I can just add it in once it's done.  Hopefully that will help.

Offline twallan

• Townie
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 02:31:37 PM »
I do know that I have forgotten to turn "moveobjects" off

I concur with that command being pretty dangerous.

With it on you can easily move an object to an unroutable location, and cause significant lag as sims attempt to reach the position in-game, all without actually noticing.

That and you can accidentally delete things, some of which are not easily recoverable (such as the physical bodies of Sims).

Forum Rules

bshag

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 03:04:23 PM »
I have just noticed that when I leave TCE on I have problems with recoloring while using the palette.  It seems when I click and drag the pattern over to the object I want to recolor, the pattern becomes very tempermental, going everywhere but on the object I want it to. ::)  So I have been turning off testingcheatsenabled before using CAS recolors...seems to help a little.

I'm with CSquared and Anushka, totally star-struck...welcome to the forums Twallan...*bows down* I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy. ;D

Offline unicornfan85

• Townie
  • Audra
    • My Sims Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 08:03:18 PM »
Although, it could have been the one time I used move_objects.  I don't know.  Oh, wait.  I used it and it froze my game.  I was using it to make someone alot of friends and it froze my game, and I think it crashed. I can't remember it was so long ago.  I was still in the process of using it, when it happened.

But it could have been move_objects.  Like I said.  I save before I do it.  If it gets bad, I'll just go back to the old save and loss everything I did.  But do you think if I saved a copy of the family to the bin, the problems would follow?

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 12:07:46 PM »
Oh, that thing that Bshag mentioned about the colour palette - I get that all the time!! And yes, I do keep testing cheats enabled on throughout my entire game, apart from challenges. Hmm.. I never knew the cheats caused so much trouble, I thought it was just a myth. :(

Twallan, sign my autograph book? ;D *also has the starstruck moodlet*

anything