Author Topic: The Merryweather Dynasty: Part 32 - A Chapter About Myst  (Read 23317 times)

Offline Sutz

• Townie
Re: The Merryweather Dynasty
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2011, 12:15:31 PM »
You know, I may not think Quartz is quite as good-looking now as he was when he was younger, but there's something about him that seems incredibly familiar...
What if I quickly take him into Create-A-Sim and change his eye colour and hairstyle...?

Oh good grief! It's David Carter from Invasion America!
...That is the coolest thing ever.

(For those of you who don't know, Invasion America was an unfinished animated science-fiction mini-series made by Dreamworks in the late 90s. It's seriously underrated and it's awesome. It hasn't been released on DVD or video but it's not hard to find. Go and check it out if you have the time.)

I decided to send the four younger members of the family back to Egypt. Topaz is just a little bit from getting their vacation home there and there's much skilling to be done by all four of them. But Egypt now appears to be broken. However many times I tried, as soon as they arrived they all disappeared and I wasn't able to select any of them! I was furious - all that work with Topaz wasted! There was nothing for it but to go off to France instead. This one didn't have any problems, so I'm praying the other two destinations won't go the same way as Egypt. Especially China. Oh God, please not China...

Once again Topaz handled the adventures and all I can say is Thank the Watcher for the Opportunistic reward. With the Jetsetter reward equipped with two of the party they were able to stay for nine days and Topaz managed to reach Visa level 3 on Day 4 - which left ample time for skilling! The new holiday home is Cowslip House. I may extend it later if more people come over to skill. Alternatively I've got my eye on The Abandoned Nectary. That's such a beautiful lot, but the Merryweathers can't afford it just yet.

Quartz read through the Martial Arts skill book (I actually didn't know they could learn Martial Arts as teens) and he and Galaxy discovered that they could use the Martial Arts equipment at the Gallery D'Art!

I guess every cloud has a silver lining. I had Galaxy start learning Martial Arts too. He's primarily needed as the painter, but it would be nice for Quartz to have someone to spar with. That'll also work towards Quartz's Martial Arts SuperMax (I can't SuperMax Athletic because too many of the Immortals have started learning it - especially Topaz). Hopefully once Quartz has reached Young Adult he should be a high level in Martial Arts and will be able to hit the ground running.

These two have the most awesome bromance. They're now also Best Friends Forever. They spend a lot of time sparring with each other. I can't help but think of the Ninja Turtles when I see them, which makes the fact that Quartz looks so like David even more hilarious because Mikey Kelley, who voiced David, also voiced Michelangelo in the recent CGI Ninja Turtles film.
...Yes, it's very important for all of you to know that.

Even though I originally planned for Quartz's next trait to be Good Sense of Humour (his current traits are Athletic, Brave, Disciplined and the newly-added Adventurous), I think Galaxy's probably going to be the joker of the two. If Quartz is going to be my action hero, Galaxy will be his goofy sidekick. Before they got their vacation home, he was causing havoc back at Base Camp by setting booby traps everywhere... with horrifying results.

Well, that'll teach you for not putting out the fire when you go to bed!

His brush with death doesn't seem to have dampened his enthusiasm for pranks even now, though. Poor Davy.

Back in Topaz's world, she's been doing a lot of big paintings, saving them for when she gets back home and can sell them for her Painter profession. She's also been doing a bit of Sculpting and spending time with Davy.

This'll be his last trip before he ages to Elder. I'll be sorry to say goodbye to him. I've always had a soft spot for him and his long-lost brother Dany.

Topaz's skills for Rennaisance Sim will be Painting, Sculpting and whichever she gets to level 10 first, Photography or Charisma. Probably Charisma. I need to get started on those Best Friend requirements. Thanks to her adventuring, though, it seems as though Topaz's Best Friends may well mostly be foreign, which is pretty funny.

Thankfully they all made it back home safely!

loveSims

« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2011, 03:25:56 AM »
I hope you don't get any more traveling bugs! Great update. :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Sutz

• Townie
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2012, 12:59:11 PM »
Just so everyone knows, my Merryweather Dynasty suffered a catastrophic Error 12 crash just after Quartz aged up to Young Adult. It coincided with my trip away for New Year and sending my laptop in to be cleaned up and mended. I've managed to back up my Merryweathers, but I was forced to delete one of the .bad files and I haven't the faintest idea how far I'll be set back when I go back to my previous save. I'm going to have to reinstall Sims 3 completely, reinstall my backup files and even then possibly make up about 20 vacation days. Gah! So don't expect an update on them until I can get back to where I was. I'm not giving up on the Merryweathers, though. I've invested too much in them.

Hope you all had a safe and pleasurable Christmas and New Year!

Offline Sutz

• Townie
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2012, 08:48:50 AM »
I'm very sorry, guys, but though I backed up my Merryweather files, Sims 3 wouldn't take them when I reinstalled it. I still have the files on my external harddrive, but for the moment it looks like I've lost my Merryweathers.

I'm really upset, but I'm getting a new operating system soon, so when that happens and I reinstall Sims 3, maybe then I'll be able to rescue them.

Moderators, if you want to move this to the Graveyard, feel free, though if I DO manage to rescue the Merryweathers I might want to ressurect this thread. I really hope that's OK.

Thanks for reading, everyone. :)

Offline ArianaJade

• Immortal
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2012, 09:29:52 AM »
Oh no! I'll be sad to see this go, I've really enjoyed reading about the Merryweathers. I hope you manage to get them back, and I'll be reading again if you do. *hugs*

loveSims

« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2012, 10:25:34 AM »
Sorry to hear that. I will miss them I hope you can rescue them later. :)

Offline Sutz

• Townie
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2012, 07:08:37 PM »
Everyone, I have news.

I was on the point of completely giving up on ever getting my dynasty back, but I was prepared to have one last try. After hours and hours, a factory reset and a great deal of reinstalling custom content, I am delighted to announce that I was able to rescue my Merryweather file! It's intact apart from Quartz's birthday party, aging up and a couple of custom patterns which I lost.

This means, of course, that the Merryweather Dynasty SHALL continue. I will soon be upgrading my operating system from Vista to Windows 7, which hopefully will run Sims 3 much better and not result in so many glitchy bugs. And now, thank goodness, I know exactly how to reinstall my Merryweathers.

So let the story continue!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Sutz

• Townie
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2012, 07:36:54 PM »
I've finally got my Merryweathers back so I wasted no time in playing with them. The day after they returned home from France, it was Davy's Elder birthday. I'm really going to miss that hairy chest *ahem*.

I pondered whether to give him back his old hair colour and such, but in the end I settled for the distinguished old man look. I want him to grow old gracefully.

Another one growing old gracefully is Sandpiper, who also had his Elder birthday.

And that night...

Life has settled down fairly to a routine after all that palaver. Emerald still spends a lot of time in her garden, though I'm a little anxious that it's taking a lot of time away from the rest of her family and she's losing relationship with them. I need to get her Gardening skill SuperMaxed so that she can spend more time away from it. Maybe I also need to cut down on the amount of plants now we've got plenty of Life Fruit. Davy's already completed his Lifetime Wish of Master of the Arts so I'm hoping I can max his Fishing skill so he can go hunting for more Deathfish before he dies. Topaz and Emerald took advantage of the sudden influx of money to go to the Bookstore and buy some skill books for the next heir. Then they sat on the bench outside and had a nice long chat which improved their relationship no end. And to think they were best friends when Topaz was a teen.

Quartz and Galaxy headed off to prom, just like Topaz all those years ago. Quartz went solo, but Galaxy managed to snag a girlfriend. This is Octavia Winston.

And that's not the only thing he's managed to find. Meet Azure.

Now that Quartz has got started on his Martial Arts skill, he spends a lot of time meditating. He can't spar with Galaxy when they're not abroad, though I'm cautiously confident about being able to SuperMax the Martial Arts skill, especially if France and China continue to hold up.

So to finish, here's an awesome picture of Quartz meditating. Here's to the safe and prosperous future of the Merryweather clan!

loveSims

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2012, 07:06:26 AM »
I'm glad you could recue them! Davy look good for a elder. ;)

Offline ArianaJade

• Immortal
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2012, 01:49:20 PM »
Yay! Glad you got them back. Both Sandpiper and Davy suit elderhood. The bird is adorable too.

Offline Sutz

• Townie
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2012, 04:18:46 PM »
I sent the group back to France to do some more skilling. Topaz has now bought her last unique reward, the Motive Mobile. I had no idea what a lifesaver this was - it's like the equivalent to a Moodlet Manager - but a car! This meant that I could get her on that final Charisma book. Yay! That'll make making friends much easier.

But no sooner had they arrived at Cowslip House once more then I heard some foreboding music and got the message...
"Galaxy wonders why it got dark all of a sudden..."
PANIC! Run, all of you, get out of the way!

Oh no!

No! No! No!

*rude words*

Oh... *gasps for breath* Oh gosh, that was frightening! My first meteor!

Though actually I was extremely lucky. I managed to get the entire family well away from the lot before the meteor struck, and it landed in the front drive. The fire didn't spread to inside the house and the firefighters quickly cleared up what fires there were. The only damage was a dented front path and a blackened front door - both easily fixed.

So after that palaver, Topaz got straight back onto the Charisma book. Once she'd finished that, she wanted to do some sculpting. I put her first Topiary in the flower bushes. I think it looks cute there, don't you think?

As before, Quartz and Galaxy spend most of their time sparring - though Quartz likes to meditate while Galaxy is busy painting.

Davy has a Collection Helper and he's been scouring the hillsides for collectables. He's especially after quartzs, obviously, but the odd ruby and amethyst don't go amiss and the opals sell for a tidy profit. I love the gems in France.
Davy also likes to spend time with his dear wife. Though I think he might be getting a little old to carry her...

I couldn't help feeling pretty sad when I took this shot. Topaz is probably the Sim I've spent the most time with ever: I've never played a Sim from birth right through to Elderhood before and she's really starting to show that she's not far off it. For some reason that just makes me really sad, even though I know I'm not going to lose her thanks to the Ambrosia. But I'm also really going to miss Davy, her husband, when he finally passes on.
I've been pretty ruthless with him because I want him to get his twenty-five ice sculptures done. It's the final push I can give him but I feel a little sad that I can't simply let him enjoy his Elder years. It brings back the way I treated Jessica.

But onto happier thoughts! Quartz has nearly maxed his Martial Arts skill and Galaxy isn't far behind him. They're pulling off even more impressive moves these days.

Grinding with everyone's skilling, even at top speed, started to become really boring, so since Quartz had now maxed his Martial Arts and Galaxy still needed to do a bit of painting, I decided I'd have a little fun with Quartz. Besides, there's a chance next time the family comes back here they won't have Topaz on the team, so I may as well get Quartz's Visa up while I can. I've learned my lesson about the Opportunistic reward now.

I took Quartz on the adventure that sent him into Chateau du Landgraab. It may not be the best place to find treasure but I just love Chateau du Landgraab. I always thought the idea of an entire mansion becoming a tomb was really clever and there were so many grand rooms to explore. I think this is probably my favourite French tomb, while the Pyramid of the Sky is my favourite Egyptian one.
Though if any of the destinations had to get a bug, I'm glad it was Egypt. It's not my favourite place and I much prefer France. Maybe it's because I'm British so I love looking at the European countryside and buildings. Sims are fairly multicultural, I know, but I haven't missed the American influences *coughLETTERBOXEScough*.
Another great thing about Chateau du Landgraab is you can go in there with nothing. It's got comfy beds, fridges for quick meals and a few bathrooms to deal with the traps.

Despite the drama, the group had a successful trip. Quartz completed the Master of Meditation skill challenge, maxed Martial Arts and got up to Level 3 Visa; Topaz completed her Lifetime Wish of Renaissance Sim and managed to get a few Best Friends into the bargain thanks to her high Charisma. The family overdosed on gems and metals, increasing the family funds exponentially and Davy got the Ice Personality in Sculpting so he can at least do Topaz's Adult sculpture. If he manages to live until Topaz's Elder birthday, I can hopefully get her Elder sculpture from him too. But Galaxy will paint her portrait.
Davy's work is now done. If he can get down to the graveyard at night to do some more fishing for Deathfish, I'll be grateful, but I'm not going to push him. He deserves to spend his retirement how he pleases.

Quartz ages up to Young Adult in 5 days. I'm so excited!

loveSims

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2012, 01:34:41 AM »
The pictures of the meteor is realy amazing! Glad no one was killed. Awesome update. ;D

Offline Sutz

• Townie
« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2012, 09:30:11 PM »
Soon after the family got back, I finally had had it up to here with the maid raiding our fridge.
Davy had enough points for a Mid-Life Crisis (more like a Late-Life Crisis) and I was tired of his Unlucky trait giving him bad moodlets whenever he slept well. So I changed his traits Unlucky and Eccentric to Neat and Family-Oriented. He can take care of the house and family while Topaz is out making friends. That's pretty much what my own grandfather did in his final years.

It's now a waiting game. Topaz has got all her requirements finished except for her Elder portrait and Ice sculpture. Quartz can't do much more except socialize and will age up in one day, with Galaxy the day after and Topaz bringing up the rear. All Davy has to do is live three more days. Please, Davy-boy... just three more days...

Quartz and Galaxy have both been making friends with this beautiful young lady.

Her name is Candi. If she weren't a babysitter I'd consider pairing Quartz up with her as she's so pretty, but she is and I've got his love-life all planned out anyway.

The day of Quartz's Young Adult birthday, I found Topaz in her room. She hasn't done any painting for a while, so she wasn't really concentrating, just letting the colour flow from her brush as is. She had the whole thing done in only a couple of hours, but when she stepped back from it, she seemed a little startled.

Topaz: Who's this? I don't recognise her. Have I seen her before? And why do I feel like this is only the beginning?

She decided not to sell this painting. Something about it was just too important...

So Quartz had his Young Adult birthday. After all the drama with nearly losing the lot of them into the technological ether, this was a really emotional moment.

And it looks like y'all were right. Now Quartz has shaken off the puppy fat and has a sleeker face, the eyes don't look bad at all. In fact, he looks really handsome! :D

Offline Sutz

• Townie
« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2012, 10:01:31 PM »
Galaxy: Where am I? What's going on?

You are going to die, Galaxy.

Galaxy: Who's there? Who's talking to me?

You are destined to die, while your blood-brother lives on, as will his children. All that you wish is possible... but all that you fear is also possible.

Galaxy: I don't know what you're talking about. You can't turn me against my brother. He brought me to life. I owe him.

He gave you life... but it can be taken away just as easily.

Galaxy: What?

Galaxy: No! Nooooo! I can't swim!

Didn't I say that you would die?

Galaxy: No! *cough* Help! Save me! *cough*

Galaxy: What... what happened? I'm not... I'm not drowning.

?: No, you're not. Grim Reaper decided he'd like to play a game with you. I saved you.

Galaxy: Who are you?

?: A friend. Don't worry. I'm going to get you out of here.

loveSims

« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2012, 03:37:39 AM »
Quartz is a very handsome young man. What is going on with Galaxy and who is the mystery woman? Don't hold us too long in suspense!