Author Topic: Escaping from Tragedy -- an Immortal Dynasty  (Read 10955 times)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
Re: Escaping from Tragedy -- an Immortal Dynasty
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2011, 09:14:31 AM »
Chapter Five

We’ve had a few milestones to record. First, Dakota joined the ranks of elders.

Then, both Juliet and Ophelia reached the top of their careers. Ophelia immediately put her new skill to work, transforming our Christmas gnome into something that would give a good vibe to everyone who passed by it.

Speaking of gnomes, Edmund brought several back from France – he didn’t say where he found them.

We all feel that we can learn something from Master Manchu about staying centered despite the noise and chaos of our surroundings.

Another centered creature is the raccoon, who curled up for a nap on our lawn during Desdemona’s birthday party.

That’s right – Desdemona has become a young adult.

She had an awesome party, verging on epic, which was suitable because she’s pretty epic herself.

She didn’t like her new look, so she immediately went upstairs to change. Desdemona has decided that her lifetime wish is to become The Tinkerer, and she intends to supermax the handiness skill. She’s decided on a career, but she’s keeping it a secret for the moment. I know she’s been considering the military, like her father, or maybe becoming an international super spy. I suppose she’s the last person you’d suspect to be a triple agent, but I don’t think she’d be happy with deceiving people.

When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2011, 01:10:26 PM »
I really love this story.Forgive me if I do not comment as much as I should.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2011, 08:18:01 AM »
Chapter Six

My little grand-daughter has graduated from high school. It seems like only yesterday that we were listening to “Pomp and Circumstance” play for Ophelia. It's almost enough to make me as weepy as Ophelia.

After graduation, Desdemona got acquainted with one of her classmates. I don’t know why she couldn’t have met him earlier – there weren’t that many children at her school. Anyway, his name is Fernando Snow; he’s single, a Virgo (a compatible sign), and is family-oriented.

I’d say she should marry him immediately, but Desdemona wants to work on her career a bit. As I guessed, she rejected the idea of being a spy. She said she didn’t have it in her to “smile, and smile, and be a villain.” But she turned down the military, too. She said she saw enough of the military life in her previous existence. So what other career would appeal to a girl who’s brave, athletic, and handy? She’s become a firefighter.

One advantage of her job is that she gains experience even when developing her skills at home.

Of course, the disadvantage is that she’s constantly exposed to danger. But Desdemona doesn’t seem to mind that. She says that this time around, she wants to experience her own “hair-breadth’s ‘scapes.” She intends to do some traveling, too, although I doubt that she’ll find any Anthropapagi.

Edmund has started working on her sculpture. I’d object to her posing in her nighty, except that that’s what I was wearing when I posed. When Edmund summons you, you show up.

Other news is that Ophelia has joined me and Dakota as an elder. The “change” came upon her as she was fishing.

She has to catch 40 more fish and convert two more good friends to best friends before she can take ambrosia. Oh, and complete another Black Op. Right now she’s hunting for a rainbow gem to take to the Science Center for a special opportunity.

As for me, I keep working because it gives me something to do, and the money comes in handy. I built a little cottage for myself at the back of the lot. The big house was beginning to feel crowded, and once Desdemona marries, it will be more crowded still.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2011, 11:37:33 AM »
Chapter Seven

Desdemona had a stressful week that included hunting down a rogue Simbot in the theater and rescuing a panic-stricken couple from their housefire. She told them to be more careful in the future.

On the weekend, to relax, she invited Fernando over. (Desdemona confided to me that she does have a thing for men whose names end in “o.” If so, it’s a good thing that Romeo hasn’t joined us.) They watched the stars for a while.

And then Desdemona plucked up her courage and got her first kiss. She said she almost felt like she was floating off the ground and slowly turning around.

The next day, she and Fernando agreed to go somewhere – I don’t know where – away from the omnipresent cameras of the paparazzi, and the watchful, loving eyes of her family. Desdemona showed him a box of light,

And the next thing we knew, they were married.

I’m happy for them, even if they did take over my little cottage. Ah well, the double bed did seem too big without Gavin.

On the whole, Fernando seems like a nice young man – family-oriented, ambitious, and a virtuoso -- although he does have one unfortunate trait – kleptomania. When he moved in, he decided to change his hairstyle and color and grow a mustache in order to avoid being captured and sent to jail. Dakota has taught him a couple of affirmations he can use to get rid of his habit – “I have everything I need. I do not require the possessions of others.”

Desdemona and Fernando decided to go to China for their honeymoon. Desdemona explained that they’d chosen it because France was special for Edmund and Egypt was special for her parents. They didn’t spend all their time at base camp. Desdemona recovered a lost relic for someone.

Fernando found that excavating was almost as satisfying as stealing.

Almost as soon as they got home, Desdemona felt sick to her stomach. She thought it might have been something in the stir-fry, but I don’t know…

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2011, 11:43:24 AM »
Welcome Fernando!
Congratulations Fernando and Desdemona! 
Can't wait to see the baby.   Great updates Marian.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2011, 01:45:22 PM »
Chapter Eight

This has been a day filled with momentous events. First of all, Desdemona was promoted to Fire Chief, the highest level of her profession. She also reached the highest level of her skill, but still has much to do. She plans to quit her job after having the baby.

Speaking of which, she can almost forgive Fernando for his kleptomaniac tendencies (he stole a rug from the theater where he works), because he gives such amazing massages.

Next, the twins became elders. Juliet was first.

The first thing she did was to retire from her job; the second was to go and change into some comfortable clothes.

Then it was Edmund’s turn, and he hurt his back in the process.

He, too, had to do something about his wardrobe.

The most momentous thing, however, was that Ophelia became eligible to turn into an immortal.

Career: Science
Skill: Fishing
Black Ops: Fresh Fish, Fresh Tomato Sauce, Seed Spittin’ Made Easy, Senet Strategy, Puzzle Panic, Make Dreams Come True
Lifetime Rewards: Multi-tasker, Stone-Hearted, Motive Mobile
Lifetime Wish: Presenting the Perfect Private Aquarium
Best Friends: Dakota Shaxper, Mari Shaxper, Gena Bowers, Lindsay Fortier, Gussie Bell, Kerrie Bedlington
Building: Rustlers’ Den
Property: Appaloosa County Water Treatment Plant, lvl 3
Portraits: Toddler, Child, Teen, YA, Adult, Elder, Photo Toddler, Ice Sculpture Adult

After we chanted the requisite formula,

Double, double toil and trouble;
   Fire burn and cauldron bubble.
   Fillet of a fenny snake
   In the cauldron boil and bake;
   Eye of newt and toe of frog,
   Wool of bat and tongue of dog,
   Adder’s fork and blind-worm’s sting,
   Lizard’s leg and howlet’s wing,
   For a charm of powerful trouble,
   Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Ophelia sat down and had her ambrosia.

She remarked that she wouldn’t have imagined that death fish would taste so delicious, and then she began to feel the effects. It was like the crackling of a large power line, she said.

Offline Katluvr

• Crazy Cat Lady - Origin ID: Katluvr23
  • Watcher
  • The shortest distance between two people is a hug.
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2011, 02:36:15 PM »
Congratulations on Ophelia's immortality and Happy Birthday to Juliet and Edmund!  I can't wait to see Desdemona's nooboo!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2011, 05:07:07 PM »
Congratulations on another immortal.Well done.

Rachel

Offline Deme

• Immortal
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2011, 07:14:04 PM »
Congratson on another one down!
Stories In Progress:
The Avyan Immortal Dynasty

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2011, 07:50:18 PM »
PART THE THIRD – Desdemona

I was correct in my prediction that Desdemona was not suffering from food-poisoning. After some minor discomfort (I’m joking, sweetie, I’m joking),

Desdemona gave us Falstaff.

I can’t say I was entirely pleased he had decided to join us, but with a kleptomaniac for a father, I shouldn’t be too surprised. And it’s possible that living with us will do wonders for Falstaff’s character. After all, Edmund is much improved. I’ve decided to love our little Falstaff just the way he is. (And to keep him away from the nectar rack and juice bar when he gets older.)

Ophelia is also pleased, showing his baby pictures to one and all, whether they want to look at them or not. Ophelia says it’s the height of something or other when your imaginary friend tells you you’re boring.

One would think a newborn baby would be enough excitement for our household, but something decided to stir things up a bit. While playing hopscotch with Desdemona the next morning, Dakota noticed that the sky was getting dark. “That’s strange,” he said. “The sun should be rising about now, not setting.”

He, Desdemona, and Edmund had a narrow escape. The hopscotch game and the treehouse were obliterated, and we keep discovering things that need to be replaced – a couple of gnomes, the rocket rider, the telescope, the back door. Desdemona says she’s very glad she chose to have the house fire-proofed; the damage could have been much worse.

She took on the chore of cleaning up. The hardest part was having to get rid of some of the money trees. Truly it was

…an exhaled meteor,
A prodigy of fear and a portent
Of broached mischief to the unborn times.

We celebrated Falstaff’s birthday a little while later. Surely this innocent-looking child won’t be any trouble.

Offline Deme

• Immortal
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2011, 09:00:45 PM »
All children are trouble, though. It's inevitable.
Stories In Progress:
The Avyan Immortal Dynasty

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2011, 06:15:17 AM »
Thank goodness for the narrow escape from being obliterated by the meteor. Hello there little Falstaff you look like such a little cutie but you never can tell...

Rachel

Offline lvrugger

• Occult
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2011, 07:17:46 AM »
I'm glad I'm not the only one plagued by meteors lately. Nice work and good luck with that Falstaff character.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2011, 07:40:44 PM »
Chapter Two

Perhaps the excitement of the meteor falling was too much for Dakota. Whatever the reason, he died within a day of the event.

Dakota himself was quite calm, shaking hands with Grim before diving into his urn. But the rest of us have been grieving. Edmund breaks out in sobs occasionally.

Desdemona assuages her grief by hammering on things.

Aside from Falstaff, who is too young to know there is anything amiss, Ophelia is the only one untroubled by grief. She goes about her daily routine without shedding a tear.

“I don’t know why you’re surprised,” she said, when I asked her why she was so calm. “You’re the one who suggested I get the stone-hearted treatment.”

I guess I’d hoped for more of a happy medium. I’m glad she’s not totally prostrate with grief, but her serenity is a little disturbing. Even when she witnessed the death of a visiting paparazzi, she was quite unflappable.

She chatted with the Grim Reaper about fish for a bit, then came in to tell me about the experience.

To be honest, I wish I’d never mentioned the treatment to her.

Meanwhile, we’ve all been enjoying Falstaff. Ophelia helped him learn how to walk.

Desdemona has been reading him his bedtime story.

Even Edmund pitched in, taking him to the potty when he was painting his portrait (and who said alliteration was passé?). I’ve hardly had a chance to play with him myself. Every time I head towards the crib, someone else shouts, “No! You’ll wake the baby!”

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2011, 09:41:59 AM »
Chapter Three

I may have been too harsh on Ophelia before. I know she’s felt some sadness over Dakota’s death because she decided all of a sudden that we needed a kitten.

His name’s Grimalkin.

Both Fernando and Edmund have been teaching Falstaff how to talk. Fernando was the first to suggest that he might become a writer.

Edmund made the same discovery.

Either a writer or a llama-herder, he says.

Ophelia says definitely a writer – how many toddlers like to point out the subtext in their picture-books and use it to deconstruct what’s written?

Falstaff also likes traveling – sometimes in his stroller.

Sometimes he likes traveling on his spaceship.

Often he likes just pretending.

His infancy passed much too quickly. We had a little party for him.

He immediately changed into an alien t-shirt and requested a computer and a class in writing. Tomorrow, little one, tomorrow.

Meanwhile, Desdemona’s been practicing martial arts, hoping to emulate Master Manchu someday.

anything