Author Topic: Escaping from Tragedy -- an Immortal Dynasty  (Read 10956 times)

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
Escaping from Tragedy -- an Immortal Dynasty
« on: October 24, 2011, 02:34:42 PM »
Note:  Those of you who read Escaping from Shakespeare will notice much similarity with that; I was able to re-use most of the writing and some of the pictures. This time around Gavin doesn't have a Margaret Vaguester (boo hoo), and Ophelia isn't blue.

ESCAPING FROM TRAGEDY – AN IMMORTAL DYNASTY

Part the First – Cressida

You probably know me as the heartless seductress from Troilus and Cressida.  What’s that? You’ve never heard of me? Hmph. I don’t know what they’re teaching young people these days. To make a long story short, I had a romance with Troilus in Troy, was transferred to the Greeks in a hostage exchange (my father had predicted a Greek victory and had to leave Troy precipitately), and got involved with a Greek soldier, which distressed Troilus so much that he ended up dying in battle. I made my first appearance in a medieval poem based on the Iliad; then Chaucer wrote about me, followed by the Bard himself.

Anyway, there’s a bunch of us immortals who are tired of being famous villains or victims, and we’ve been reading these stories with some interest. When we found out that we could have dogs and cats and horses, in addition to hot tubs and treehouses – well, nothing could stop us. We drew lots to see who would go first, which is why I’m your narrator instead of Lady Macbeth (who’s really quite nice once you get to know her).

I arrived in Appaloosa Plains on a pretty Sunday morning. Oh, you want to know why my skin is blue? Honey, that happens when you’ve been  around for six or seven hundred years. I could tell you stories that would make your skin and hair turn blue, too, but this is a family-friendly forum, so I won’t.

As soon as I’d purchased a suitable property, I went into town and found a job as a cook. My next stop was the library, to learn something about cooking. If you’re wondering why someone who’s 600 years old can’t cook, it’s because I always had servants. To be honest, the only skill I have is embroidery. And, well, seduction.

Let me tell you, there’s no place like a library for romance. All that whispering makes even the most mundane conversation intimate, plus you have to get really close to each other. Within no time, Gavin and I had agreed to get married. I had the strangest feeling of déjà vu.

And then we decided, why wait? In case you’re thinking I married him for his money, you’re partly right. Our Immortal Pension Fund has suffered severe budget cuts, and the sesterce – simoleon exchange rate is not at all favorable. To be honest, if I hadn’t met Gavin, I would have been spending the night at the fire station. But the more important reason is that I saw someone who needed me. As soon as I showed a willingness to listen (more seductive than flirtiness and great kissing any day), Gavin started pouring out his life story: how he’d been a successful plastic surgeon; how a famous TV star had wanted a tiny adjustment to her nose and it had gone bad; how he’d been fired and moved to Appaloosa Plains to get away from the hatemail; how the actress had also retreated to Appaloosa Plains and was actually living next door to him; how she kept sending her cat to kill the birds in his yard.

“Gavin, sugar,” I said. “You need to move in with me.”

He was a trifle taken aback when he saw that by “in” I actually meant “on,” as there was only a flat lawn.

“I don’t see your house,” he said tactfully.

Luckily, with the money he brought, we were able to build a tiny little lovenest.

As soon as the furniture was moved in, we put the “love” in lovenest. And the next morning, we discovered that baby would make three.

Knowing that Gavin is a doctor has certainly given me a feeling of confidence.

You’d think that after 600 years, they’d have found a cure for this.

Chapter Two

The last day of my pregnancy passed in a blur. I did go to the consignment store to look for a camera (more about that later), but otherwise didn’t accomplish much. Gavin picked up a book on pregnancy. To my surprise, one of its recommendations for having an easy delivery was pillow-fighting.

When Gavin came home from work, he gave me a lovely massage.

Immediately after that, the labor pains started. I had expected Gavin to be more helpful, but I guess expectant fathers are all the same.

Our new baby is Ophelia! They all drew lots again, and she won. This concerns me a little because I was hoping the second Immortal would take up fishing. We’ll just have to keep Ophelia happy enough that she doesn’t have any morbid thoughts when she gets near water. Gavin, of course, thinks she’s just an ordinary baby, if any baby is ordinary.

I got my first Opportunity today. The diner was throwing a cooking contest, so I entered. I didn’t win, but I came in second, which is pretty good for someone who never boiled water before.

Meanwhile I’m running into a small problem with Gavin. He can’t stand art. I keep haunting the consignment shop, hoping to find a camera for him. Right now, he’s painting, but he isn’t happy about it.

When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Offline Sophie98

• Immortal
  • Awkward Fangirl.
Re: Escaping from Tragedy -- an Immortal Dynasty
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 03:13:39 PM »
It's good to see the family back again! So the heirs will all be from tragedies? Will the IFs be from comedies as planned? Also, I love Shakespeare, so if you need any help with names, feel free to ask.
"The world is not a wish granting factory."
-John Green, The Fault In Our Stars

I have a blog! Please feel free to check it out! http://theatricalteenageramblings.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Deme

• Immortal
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 04:24:54 PM »
Best of luck this time around!
Stories In Progress:
The Avyan Immortal Dynasty

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 07:36:36 PM »
Chapter Three

Gavin and I agreed that although we both wanted a baby boy, we would wait until Ophelia was ready for school before I got pregnant again. Guess what? I got pregnant while she was still a toddler. Gavin said that if I ate apples, that would ensure my giving birth to a boy. Who am I to argue with medical science?

Meanwhile, Ophelia was turning into a darling little girl. She’s going to look just like Gavin except she has the same color eyes I do.

She’s very bright, quickly learning how to walk.

While teaching her to talk, I’ve been checking on how she’ll feel about some of her duties as my heir. Is she willing to learn how to fish?

Would she like to get married?

Yes to both.

I’ve been developing my painting skills as quickly as possible, but Gavin has been lagging behind. Even though we found a camera for him, he’s still going to have to paint two or three portraits of me. He finally talked to a therapist about his dislike for art (and his fear of water). As a result, he feels smarter now and has a strong interest in photography. I’m worried that he won’t have time to paint since they keep him so busy at work.

Plus he’s going to be busy at home. Talking one evening, we both said we’d like a baby girl. I thought we were just hedging our bets, but when the time came, we had one of each.

Here’s Juliet Shaxper

And her brother, Edmund.

While I love the little ones dearly, I am not pleased with the rest of my fellow Dramatis Personae. I sternly reminded them that there were slots for only eight immortals, that others would live a short (but happy life) and that we had to leave room for Ophelia to have children.

Offline lvrugger

• Occult
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 03:13:44 AM »
Nice story, MarianT. I like the way you've been adding in the extras. Best of luck making it!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 11:13:59 AM »
Chapter Four

Ever since the twins have been born, I’ve been rushed off my feet. I never even took a photo of Edmund as a toddler, except when he was pitching a fit in the high chair.

Juliet, also, had her moments.

Then there was the day of the plumbing disasters. First it was the dishwasher,

Followed by the toilet.

Despite cranky toddlers and malfunctioning modern conveniences, however, I’m not sorry I came here. I can’t imagine what I used to do with my time – sit around and complain about bad reviews when my play was put on, which wasn’t often. So I’d complain about that, and also complain about the actresses who were chosen to play me. For some reason they always cast blondes, even though I have auburn hair.

Anyway, Gavin has been a big help. He was able to retire early, thanks to a nice inheritance from his Aunt Francine. All he can remember about her is that she had purple hair. She also sent the children some dolls, strange-looking things. He’s been busy working on my portrait, but he has plans for the garden. He went exploring the other day and found a seedy-looking place. (Unintended pun here – it was also a place where he found some seeds.)

Ophelia has grown up into a lovely girl. She looks very much like Gavin.

She gave me a scare the other morning, because she spent a long time in the bathroom. I rapped on the door and asked if she was okay. She said she was just pretending to be a submarine.

She’s been pretending to be a tyrannosaurus rex as well, something she never would have done in the old days. I guess I shouldn’t worry about her as much as I do.

Somehow Gavin and the twins and I have all survived. They started school today, and he and I can both take a deep breath.

Juliet plans to take up gardening, and Edmund has an interest in painting and sculpting. Juliet looks like me, while Edmund has my skin, hair and eyes and Gavin's nose, mouth and cheekbones.

Unfortunately, I seem to be having a mid-life crisis, a very strange phenomenon for someone who is already in her 7th century. All of a sudden, I feel like I’m developing new wrinkles every two hours and I’ll never be beautiful again (sniff).

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 03:25:16 PM »
Chapter Five

Why didn’t anyone tell me that my little ones would grow up so quickly? Ophelia led the way, turning into a young lady so elegant that no one is ever going to suggest she ought to go to a nunnery.

To my surprise, she still wants to take up fishing. I asked her outright if water holds any morbid attraction for her, and she said no, she just wants to catch fish.

She doesn’t have a boyfriend yet; I’m hoping she’ll find some pleasant young man who doesn’t think too deeply about things.

Juliet worries me. She has named her little doll Romeo and spends all her time singing to it. It saddens me that she won’t be able to marry while she’s here. She’s a pretty child, too, and I’m not just saying that because she resembles me.

Edmund, on the other hand, has been behaving beautifully. He says he still feels remorse over his actions in the play; as repentance he has thrown himself into painting and learning how to fix things. He doesn’t mind not being able to marry, because his previous flirtations with Goneril and Regan have given him a distaste for romance. He keeps having nightmares, but they came to an end after he decided to become an astronaut.

I finally finished my portrait of Gavin. I don’t know how much longer he’ll be with us, but I dread the day he’ll die. This world seems almost as cruel to me as the one I left behind. The only good thing is that I won’t be expected to take another husband or lover.

Despite all my moaning, today was a good day. Thanks to my promotion to line cook, I was able to get home from work early enough to celebrate the birthdays of Juliet and Edmund.

Both of them have turned out to be quite handsome, if I do say so myself.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 08:47:01 AM »
Chapter Six

I now know why the Bard’s plays have lasted through the centuries – they’re a way to channel adolescent energy into something non-destructive. This is not to say we’ve been putting on a play here; instead, my teens decided to throw a Halloween party.

I had to leave for work just as it was getting started, but Gavin took some pictures for me. To his surprise, Edmund actually danced with a girl (well, he was on the dance floor at the same time as a girl).

My boss, Zac Whipsnake, roasted some marshmallows, burning his fingers in the process. You would think a professional chef would have learned how not to do that.

Ophelia told the story of the vanishing hitchhiker. Gavin said he had a chill run up his spine when she delivered the denouement, the closet filled with scarves that had been left in the car.

Juliet easily won the prize for best costume.

Unfortunately, all of yesterday’s excitement produced a mood swing this morning, as Gavin discovered when he took a shower.

Three teenagers – I hope I can survive long enough to make ambrosia.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 09:32:10 PM »
Chapter Seven

I don’t use the toilet at home anymore; I wait until I go to work to pee. Gavin stands as far away from the sink as possible when he turns on the faucet. We both wish there was some way to secure our bathroom from the pranksters. Gavin says it would serve them all right if we each chose a bathroom and locked them out, but I can imagine the howls of protest that would result. Teenagers – you’ve got to love them, but we’ve had one mood swing after another, first Ophelia, then Juliet, then Edmund, then Ophelia again, then Juliet again, and on and on.

We had our first peaceful moment when they all went to the prom. I have to say, I don’t think there were any ducklings there as lovely as my three swans. Gavin took their pictures by the limousine, but I like the girls' pictures from the changing room better. Here they are:

We had a lovely evening. Gavin found a new star (actually it turned out to be a satellite) and named it after me – very romantic.

Next day everyone was a little unsettled. Edmund was named Prom King, and was thrilled because Tami Pelly (our movie star’s daughter) wanted to dance with him. Ophelia was named Prom Queen and danced quite a bit with Seneca Bowers. Juliet didn’t dance much and was very quiet when she got home. Edmund told me later that she got into a fight with someone who made fun of her for talking to her doll.

Ophelia graduated a few days after the prom. She looked beautiful, even in that unflattering cap and gown. Gavin and I were both proud of our little girl.

Immediately after graduating, she went over to the Wolfson Hospital and Research Center to apply for a job as a test subject. She knew that to become an Immortal, she would have certain tasks to fulfill, one of which was reaching the top of her career.

On the way home, she planned to stop and see Dakota Fox. They had been friends since childhood, but he was a little older than she was, otherwise she would have asked him to the prom. She liked Seneca Bowers, too, but she wasn’t sure whether it was true love or the magic of prom night. While she was in the cab, she got a panicky phone call from me.

Gavin, dear Gavin, was leaving us behind, much too soon, for all that he was 95. The Bard got it wrong. Parting is not sweet sorrow, not at all.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 05:54:19 PM »
Chapter Eight 

He is dead and gone, lady,
     He is dead and gone;
   At his head a grass-green turf,
     At his heels a stone.

Ophelia has been singing this song off and on for the past three days, and it’s driving me crazy. Every time she starts singing it, I think of Gavin, and that starts me crying again. I asked her twice to stop, and each time she does, but she starts up again.

She and I had a long talk this morning – not about the song particularly, but about how she suffers from grief. I reminded her that she and I would see Edmund and Juliet die, and her spouse, and any children she had besides her first-born. She said she planned on having only one child, but I said that wasn’t the principal issue. She was over-emotional, and that could make things difficult for her as time went on. I recommended a method that would ease the pain for her. She was resistant at first, but she finally agreed on getting the stone-hearted treatment. The singing stopped, which was a relief, but she got her old doll, Mari, out.

That really worried me for a while, especially when she started crying on the shoulder of someone who wasn’t there.

Eventually she recovered her emotional balance. I think she may have found someone other than Mari with a shoulder to cry on.

Unfortunately, getting involved with Dakota means that she now has a “naughty” reputation, because she flirted with Seneca. I personally don’t think a romance that lasted only as long as prom night should be considered a serious affair.

Lately, I’ve had a second crisis to deal with, although not nearly as painful as Gavin’s death. I’m having a hard time facing myself in the mirror now that I’ve gotten old. The main problem is my hair. It’s gotten wispier and won’t hold the style it used to have. I dyed it as soon as it started going gray, but I can’t reproduce the color I used to have.

Curiously enough, it was Ophelia who provided me with some comfort. She didn’t tell me I looked as beautiful as always (because I don’t), or that my looks didn’t matter. Instead she read me Tithonus, a relatively modern (to me, anyway) poem by Tennyson.

The woods decay, the woods decay and fall,
   The vapors weep their burthen to the ground,
   Man comes and tills the field and lies beneath,
   And after many a summer dies the swan.
   Me only cruel immortality
   Consumes.

Tithonus was in love with Aurora, the goddess of the dawn. She asked Zeus for eternal life for him, but forgot to ask for eternal youth as well.
The result was that he became old and decrepit, while she renewed her beauty every morning. People think it’s wonderful to be immortal, but the poets know better.

Offline Deme

• Immortal
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2011, 07:12:35 PM »
Awww...Poor dears. I like the poetry references going around, though. It's just right for a Shakespearian dynasty.
Stories In Progress:
The Avyan Immortal Dynasty

Offline IflanaNifi

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2011, 07:19:26 PM »
I have to agree, the poetry references are great! I also love that you named the second generation Ophelia. Are you going to keep the naming trend up? If so it'll be interesting to see who appears in the story!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2011, 08:40:15 PM »
Yes, there are many characters in Shakespeare's tragedies; I'm sure I can find enough for the dynasty.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 07:27:55 PM »
Chapter Nine

Not only am I getting older, but my children are, too; this seems like an unexpected wonder. Juliet and Edmund graduated today. Edmund was named Valedictorian, and Juliet Most Popular.

Juliet went over to the hospital to get a job, and Edmund decided to be a stay-at-home sculptor. We all had the day off, so Ophelia was able to spend some time with Dakota Fox. Usually he’s at work when she gets home. The result was an engagement,

Followed immediately by a wedding,

Perhaps soon to be followed by a new addition to the family.

Dakota seems to be a nice young man, although he tends to regard himself as an unlucky loser. I hope that marriage and a child will help boost his self-esteem. Ophelia talked him into joining the army, as becoming an astronaut was his dream, something not likely to happen if he kept working at the diner. It meant that he had to get a haircut. He looks quite a bit like his mother, even having the same color hair (I’m tempted to say plumage because it does look like hawk feathers).

Meanwhile, I’m doing well at work. The day when I reach the top is getting nearer, but so is the day when time will run out for me. Immortality might have its drawbacks, but it beats the alternative.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 07:31:13 AM »
Chapter Ten

I’ve been getting anxious. My “deathday” is approaching, and it seems like there is still so much to do. Ophelia overheard me dithering about the fact that I needed to be a much better cook before I could make ambrosia. “I need to go fishing in China,” she said. “Why don’t you pack up your cookbooks and come with me?”

“But what about Desdemona?” I said.

“Edmund is still here,” said Ophelia. “And besides, we won’t be gone any time at all.”

So we took off for China. I studied (and picked up a few rare books as well).

Ophelia fished.

The next day I put some of my newfound skill to work on our lunch.

The trip was not an unqualified success, however. Ophelia lost all of her fish when we returned, much to her dismay. But we picked up a chest to keep the deathflower in, and some martial arts equipment for anyone who might be inclined to break some boards. I also got some recipes for myself, and some plums for Juliet to plant.

Juliet and Edmund have both been extremely helpful, even though they won’t be able to become immortal. Edmund keeps practicing ice sculpture.

Juliet, despite her very busy schedule as a doctor, is maintaining the garden (with some much needed help from Ophelia). Her biggest headache now is life fruit. Every time she thinks she has one, it turns out to be a deathflower bush or a plasma fruit plant. We’ve all been collecting seeds for her, and she keeps talking to every sprout, encouraging it to grow faster.

Now that I own the bookstore, all I have to do is get another promotion, paint another masterpiece, buy and upgrade a property, and become best friends with 6 people. I think I'll start with Desdemona.