Author Topic: Need Help With Strategy  (Read 2763 times)

jaytea

Need Help With Strategy
« on: October 23, 2011, 08:12:42 PM »
Help with strategy of game please.  

When playing sims I find I'm racing around getting very little accomplished re: getting job, getting skills, relationships etc.  Is this something that will, improve as I get better or should I be concentrating on one thing?

Thanks.

Offline CSquared2

• Watcher
  • Got nooboo?
Re: Newbie question
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 09:03:33 PM »
Sims 3 is so complicated!  I find it hard to single out any one strategy that doesn't involve ignoring some other aspect of the game.  I'll offer just two pieces of advice:

You can't have everything.  At least, not right away.  You won't be able to have your sim advance in his job, have a strong relationship, fulfill every wish and complete every opportunity.  Some of those things just won't be important to him, or you.  There's no wrong way to play the game, so concentrate on what you enjoy doing.  Eventually, you'll learn ways to be more "productive" with your game play through trial and error.

One real tip, though: having fun at work makes a big difference.  Slacking off at work will leave your sim with a nice, fat positive moodlet for the rest of the day, plus the positive mood that positive moodlet brings will contribute to job performance.  It may not be realistic to have all your sims slack off at work, but it will allow you to conserve their good moods for other things (like skills, relationships and opportunities) and, eventually, they'll still advance.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 09:30:14 PM »
CSquared2 had some really good things to say. This game really is complicated, haha. The only thing I would really suggest is to first take things one at a time. If you want to focus on your sim's career, do that. If you want to focus on relationships, do that. So on and so on. Most things in this game are very complex, so it's easier for a beginner (at least it was for me) to focus on just one thing at a time and learn the ins and outs of that one thing first. Then start slowly mixing in other aspects of the game. Everything all at once is very hard to manage at first. Even now, I find myself pausing for nearly half of my play time because I have to make sure all of my sims are doing the things that I want them to do.

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 09:35:40 PM »
My bit of advice would be to pause a lot.  Nothing says you have to play in live mode all the time.  I like to control my sims as much as possible if I'm in a challenge game because the lifetime is so short and they have stuff to get done.   I tend to pause and queue up as many things as I can for each of my sims.

Also if you're still new at this - don't fill up your house.  The first family I ever tried had 7 people in it and one was a toddler and I had no idea what I was doing.   I went back and started with one and then added one slowly. 
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 09:39:07 PM »
Hi jaytea, welcome to the forum. If you're feeling a bit rushed in your Simming, why not try turning aging off for a while? It's under Game Options in the Options menu. As CSquared pointed out, you won't be able to get everything done at once, but if you pace yourself out you'll be able to get the hang of more things gradually. There are lots of great articles on our guide if you're stuck with certain aspects of the game.

Chuckles_82

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 11:06:17 PM »
Definitely pausing a lot helps.

Free will set to high may also help, so if you are busy with one sim, another sim won't starve or pee themselves. They'll take care of it on their own.

It's also easier to start out with just one sim until you get your time management worked out.

When your sim is skilling, try to pick a skill that raises fun at the same time.

If meeting their needs is too much to handle, and you don't mind cheating, press Ctrl+Shift+C and then type in 'testingcheatsenabled true'. Then you can shift+click on the letterbox and selet 'make needs static'. Their needs bars will then be always green. When you want to switch it back you click the letterbox again and select 'make needs dynamic'. Of course, if you exit the game you'll need to re-enter any cheat codes again once you open it again.

Aim to complete as many little wishes as you can, (and definitely the really big ones, like when they want to max a skill) because you can get rewards that will also help them learn faster, earn more money, or not need to shower/pee/eat as much.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: Need Help With Strategy
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 11:16:52 PM »
Help with strategy of game please.  

When playing sims I find I'm racing around getting very little accomplished re: getting job, getting skills, relationships etc.  Is this something that will, improve as I get better or should I be concentrating on one thing?

Thanks.

Have you read the Guide?  Here's an article on how to play the game.  There's a lot more information to be found on the Guide.

Also, I changed the Subject of this thread.  "Newbie question" is much too vague.  Any time you start a topic, please make the Subject as specific as possible.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Sportsfan

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 12:46:55 AM »
I actually disagree with free will on high. I think it's easier at the start to have it on low or off.

Pause a lot and don't be afraid to micromanage your sims. Buy the 2nd most expensive bed that comes with the base game as soon as you can.

I tend to neglect the social part of the game a lot.
Buy steel bladder LTR and it makes it one less thing to manage

Also just take time learning where stuff is in town.

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2011, 12:52:50 AM »
Pausing is a must - especially when you're playing many sims at once. So, as others have said, pause and start with not many sims. When I first started playing sims, I couldn't keep my kids happy (doing homework, no social worker for bad grades, etc.) - but as I've played more, I now can do that fairly easily. So it's just practice. And the other suggestions mentioned above :)

Offline ejnarts1

• Townie
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2011, 01:14:00 AM »
One more thing. Try to stack actions in a Sim's queue. That can give you some breathing room. And while you're paused, or waiting, you can strategize what you'd like to accomplish next.

Granted, some things can happen to your Sim while their busy completing all the actions you've chosen, and they have to take care of that right away. So, it's not a perfect system, but that's life- real and Sims- things happen while you're making other plans  :) Deal with it and keep moving.

Micromanaging is hard, but the more you do it the better you'll become. Just make sure you have "a plan" for each Sim in your mind so you know what you want to accomplish and then how you're going to get there. Those that win, plan. Those that don't, didn't  ;)

jaytea

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2011, 10:00:53 AM »
Thank you everyone, your suggestions are a great help.  I am an older 'simmer' (retired).  I take a little longer to learn things but have lots of time to play.Needless to say I'm totally addicted to this game -:))))

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 12:08:32 PM »
Those that win, plan. Those that don't, didn't  ;)

"Winning" is extremely subjective in Sims game, since it could theoretically go on forever with no end.  In fact, it's so subjective that it's not one I even consider while I'm playing it.  It's kind of like racing yourself down the stairs...you can't really win or lose.  So my largest piece of advice is to abandon such concepts as "winning" and "doing it right."  If your Sims aren't keeling over from starvation or constantly peeing on the floor, you're in good shape.

Free will on high would definitely be easier.  Sims know what they need and will go off to take care of their needs on their own, so it gives you one less thing to worry about (see my "keeling over from starvation or constantly peeing on the floor" comment ;) ).  If you'd rather have them do something else to fulfill those needs, it's easy enough to redirect them.

If your Sims aren't advancing in their careers at the rate you'd like them to, it's most likely due to one or more of 3 things:  mood, skills, or friends.  Checking their career panel should give you a heads up as to where your Sim is lacking.  Your Sim will progress the fastest when the smiley faces look like this:   ;D (only in green).  If they look like this:   >:( (in red), they will progress a lot slower.  Luckily, fixing all 3 is a relatively easy process.

Mood:  This is the easiest to fix.  Before they go to bed for the night, try to get their needs as high as possible.  Pay particular attention to Hygiene and Fun, as these two in particular you won't be able to increase at work.  Also make sure they get plenty of rest before they go.  The benefit of moodlets cannot be overstated here.  Having a good bed and kitchen appliances will go a long way to keep their mood up throughout the day, and a good tv will increase their fun faster as well.  And if you have access to laundry appliances, use them.  A 12 hour moodlet just for changing your clothes cannot be beat.

Friends:  i.e.  Your co-workers and boss.  This is just as easy to fix.  Simply see which ones need improving and select either "Chat with co-workers" or "Suck up to boss" options when at work (different careers may have different wording for these options).  You should never allow your Sims to work under the "Business as usual" option, as there is almost always something better they could be doing with their time.

Skills:  Definitely the hardest of the three, but not all that difficult in the long run.  Possibly the easiest way to do this is to read books at the library (for skills that actually have books, Athletics does not).  The library gives you a moodlet that allows you to read faster.  For Athletics, do not train at the gym as there is currently a bug which makes leveling Athletics there difficult to impossible.  Buy athletics equipment for your home, or if you have Ambitions installed you can use the equipment for free at the Fire Station.  In a pinch, a television or radio will serve the purpose just fine.

Work related opportunities are also helpful, too.  They will give you a bit of a boost to your career progress, and occasionally a nice bit of cash as well.  When they come up at work, take them and complete them as soon as possible even if it means foregoing skill training while you do it.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.