Author Topic: Making Patterns: Tips for Beginners and Frequently Asked Questions  (Read 18911 times)

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
Re: Making Patterns: Tips for Beginners and Frequently Asked Questions
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 08:41:13 AM »
Great tut Ausette ! I have bookmarted so I will check it later when I start using CAP, now I'm focusing on building, I remember you posting a link to a tutorial on how to match colors and patterns from the official website, do you still have that link? I need to refresh my memory :P

Yep, here it is! It was posted in this thread. The creator of that guide also has some good building guides, if you're interested. :)

Offline kiko94

• Immortal
  • you pronounce it *keko* not *kIko*
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 09:07:09 AM »
Edit: Forgot Thanks !
Really! Of course I'm interested :)
My Blog For Sims 3 Buildings, visit for exclusive content -07/11 update : New Houses and community lots, don't miss them !!

-The Awkward moment whe you are viewing who's online, and you find somone looking at your profile...

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 09:09:41 AM »
Just want to say thank you for creating this tutorial Ausette, very well done, much appreciated. :D
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

lisalisa

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 12:36:11 PM »
Thank you for this! I am new to the game, been playing for a few weeks and really want to learn patterns.

VampirePlasma

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 06:53:35 AM »
Thanks Ausette! Now I could give it a try! And for I have photoshop, I can do somethings there but the I can do even more on GIMP. It's a free downloadble progarm, all you need is some brushes and you can do alot of stuff.  ;)
Those are my most recent ones.

Can you upload any picture?

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 11:04:55 PM »
I'm glad to hear my tutorial is so appreciated. Thanks guys!  :)

Can you upload any picture?

Yes, you can make a pattern out of whatever picture you want, although I find that the best patterns are built from scratch in a graphics program. Check my reply to Seabody's post.

VampirePlasma

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 06:51:10 AM »
Cool, thanks Ausette.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Swirl-Girl

• Squirt
  • Watcher
  • Sends more than 20 PMs Per Hour
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2013, 08:33:52 PM »
For tip #2, there are already stickers in CAP that will work. You don't need to import a new square for that.
Another note: The size of your working space is 256x256. You should memorize that, and a couple of basic multiples(Or is the word Denominators?) of 256. Like half (128) and a quarter(64), especially if you are going to be doing tilings. knowing those numbers will make it easier to have your tiles nice and in line.

Squirt's Super Submissions
I love Constructive Criticism!
"Krabs are so cheap, they can't even pay attention!"

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 08:20:52 AM »
For tip #2, there are already stickers in CAP that will work. You don't need to import a new square for that.
Another note: The size of your working space is 256x256. You should memorize that, and a couple of basic multiples(Or is the word Denominators?) of 256. Like half (128) and a quarter(64), especially if you are going to be doing tilings. knowing those numbers will make it easier to have your tiles nice and in line.

Good point Swirl-Girl, I'll edit that in  :). Sorry for the late reply by the way, I've been neglecting the Misc. Help board a little lately.

Offline GoslettM

• Townie
  • Call me Marisha
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2013, 07:15:17 AM »
Hi Ausette

Can I please ask you for help?  I have made a pattern as follows:

1.   On layer 2 I have it set as stencil mode.  This is my background so that it could be recolored in game
2.   On layer 3 & 4 I also got it set as stencil mode but in these tabs I have shapes in them also to be recolored in game. .(This is to change the colors of the baby’s diapers.)
3.    On layer 5 I have it as sticker mode, in this tab I have a transparent image of babies that I don’t want to be recolored in game so I have “show color” unclicked on the right side of the CAP screen.

When I upload the pattern in my game, I can also change the color for layer 5 and I don’t want to let it be recolored so my question is how do I go about so that it cannot be recolored in game.

I hope all this make sense.
Thanks in advance

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2013, 09:41:57 PM »
That looks great, GoslettM! Unfortunately, I'm not sure that I can help you. I always look for ways to make patterns more recolourable, not the other way around, so I'm sadly lacking in techniques to do the latter. Having more options is in no way a deficit though, and I'm sure you'd do fine if you uploaded the pattern as-is (most people probably wouldn't want to recolour the babies anyway, especially if you said not to).

Offline gothceltgirl

• Nooboo
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2017, 04:31:30 PM »
Two questions:

1. If I just paste an image in, will it be recolourable?
2. How do you take screenshots in CAP?

1. If the image has some colour in it (as in, it's not completely black and white), you'll be able to change the colour slightly in-game. It just won't be fully recolourable. 

2. Easy. If you look at the top row of your keyboard, you should see a button that says "PrtSc" (for "Print Screen"). Just hit that button, and it'll take a screenshot that you can paste into Paint.  :)

Print Screen doesn't work. I tried the usual Cntrl + PrtSc, then tried PrtSc on its own, still nada, when I paste into Paint, I get a blank page, CAP Screenshot.jpg really had hoped that this would work for me. But it isn't for some reason.  :(

I tried to insert it, I hope it worked.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2017, 10:47:26 PM »
We investigated the issue and found PrtSc key doesn't work properly when CAP is in full screen mode. Try turning off fullscreen in the Options menu and you should be able to take a screenshot with the PrtSc key.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline gothceltgirl

• Nooboo
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2017, 07:03:46 PM »
I just replied, or thought I did, but it's not here, now. I was about to edit it, so anyway, I did it, it works. Thank you so much. This makes me so happy!  ;D
Black Shamrock.jpg

Offline gothceltgirl

• Nooboo
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2017, 06:46:27 PM »
So now there seems to be another issue. My patterns install and download to my game as patterns, but when I shared them earlier they show up in The Exchange as "Objects" so strange. What gives? Solve one riddle just to have another one come up. Ugh!

anything