Author Topic: Seasons of Change - Four Haikus  (Read 25522 times)

Offline MissPlumbBob

• Sims Biographer
  • Immortal
Seasons of Change - Four Haikus
« on: August 13, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »
Hi everyone! This is MissPlumbBob (formerly Legacy11 and meaganelizabeth), and man, do I have a story for you. :)

I believe I have attempted to start this story multiple times but either: 1. The file was lost by a computer shutdown or TS3 shutdown, or 2. I wasn't happy with what I wrote. This time is different. I decided to change it up by giving my characters different careers. Now, I will be focusing on the simple things in life (on TS3). ;)

I titled my tale "Seasons of Change" because, even though there are not climate seasons yet in TS3 (I hope they are in store), the main characters will face the changes that a Sim's life brings. This literary journey is about how these Sims face, adjust, and adapt to those changes.

So pull up a chair, grab some popcorn, and be prepared for a (hopefully) compelling read. I will have an introduction to the stars of the game posted soon.

EDIT: I have put a PG (parental guidance suggested) rating on this story, just as a self-imposed advisory. There are a couple events that might be considered for more mature audiences, like Meg's unexpected pregnancy before being married. Thus, I encourage any potential forum members under 12 to read this (only) with a parent, and ask me about anything in the story you don't understand. I will try to answer it in a family-friendly manner. :)

Until next time...  ;D

Table of Contents

Introduction
Week One, Day One - New Dawn, New Day, New Life
Week One, Day Two - This Is Not Goodbye
Week One, Days Three to Four - The Expectation
Week One, Day Five - Bachelor Bum (Part 1 of 3)
Week One, Morning and Afternoon of Day Six - Here Comes the... Baby? (Part 2 of 3)
Meet Terra May
Week One, Evening of Day Six - A Family Affair (Part 3 of 3)
Week One, Day Seven to Week Two, Day One - NOT-So-Terrible Twos Toddler 'Terra'
Week Two, Evening of Day One - Three Miracles
Exclusive Teaser For Loyal Readers!
Week Two, Day Two - Do Unto Others (Part 1 of 3)
Week Two, Day Two - The Dog Days are Over (Part 2 of 3)
Week Two, Day Two - Four Haikus
Check out my new story here!

Offline MissPlumbBob

• Sims Biographer
  • Immortal
Re: Seasons of Change
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 01:42:12 AM »
As promised, here is your introduction. Without further ado...

Meet the female lead, Meg.

Name: Meg Majira
Traits: Genius, Good, Neurotic, Nurturing, Perfectionist
Lifetime Wish: Perfect Mind, Perfect Body
Favorites: Cookies, Indie, Grey
Voice: High-Pitched #3
Sign: Aquarius

Welcome the man in her life, Eliot.

Name: Eliot Wolff
Traits: Bookworm, Family-Oriented, Good, Good Sense of Humor, Hopeless Romantic
Lifetime Wish: Professional Author
Favorites: French Toast, Pop, Blue
Voice: Low-Pitched #3
Sign: Aquarius

Eliot and Meg begin Simmy life in Sunset Valley as boyfriend and girlfriend. :D

EDIT: As a footnote, I wanted to mention that "Majira", Meg's new family name, is the Swahili word for "season", I believe. In addition, the characters are "inspired" by my boyfriend and I. Strictly inspired, though. Our names have been changed, traits have been somewhat tweaked, and careers are definitely different. This isn't a story about me, by any means. It's a story of the changes life presents.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MissPlumbBob

• Sims Biographer
  • Immortal
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 02:38:30 AM »
Week One, Day One - New Dawn, New Day, New Life

Eliot lifted the last box from the moving van and carried it into the house.

"Well, as moving an experience as this has been, I'm glad it is ending," he proclaimed. Meg laughed out loud as she moved their only living chair into place in front of the television set.

"It feels like home," she whispered under her breath as she went to embrace Brandon.

"It is, Sweetea."

Meg shed a happy tear as she thought about how they'd wanted this for so long. You see, Eliot was originally from Riverview, and Meg's hometown was Twinbrook. The two met online on a forum when Eliot responded to one of Meg's posts. Eventually, they fell in love, met in person, and made the decision to move to Sunset Valley together (in that order).

The couple headed out the door to go on a job hunt. As they prepared to go their separate ways, Eliot stopped Meg from getting in the cab.

"Wait..."

"What is it?"

"You left something important that I found when I checked the moving van one last time before it departed."

"Oh, no. Thanks for catching that! Sometimes I'm a bit absent-minded. Can I have it?"

"Gladly," said Eliot as he handed her a bouquet of white carnations.

Meg beamed from ear to ear as she climbed back into the taxi and rode into town. She knew, even though everyone thinks it of their significant other, that she had found the sweetest, most thoughtful guy on Simearth.

After pondering this fact, Meg's mind went to finding employment. She finally decided that she would leave resumes at Sacred Spleen Memorial Hospital and Landgraab Industries Science Facility.

As she placed the paper on the front desk at the lab, Gobias Koffi noticed Meg. He struck up a conversation with the young woman.

"I see you are applying for a job as Test Subject," mused Gobias.

"Yes, sir, I am. I don't know an abundance about gardening, but I am a quick study and a dedicated worker."

"Well, I tend the cow plants here in our gardens. We are actually looking for someone to fill a recently vacated position."

Meg felt hopeful that she would receive a callback later in the week, when...

"You've got the job. I'll see you tomorrow morning at 9 am sharp."

Meg couldn't believe her luck. She had been hired on the spot!

Returning back to her pre-fab home on Water Lily Lane, she burst through the door and found Eliot sitting in the armchair she had moved before leaving.

"Any openings at the hospital?"

"They didn't say. But I got hired at the science facility!"

"I am so proud of you!!" exclaimed Eliot, hugging her. "And guess what?"

"What, love?"

"Since I was interested in business and journalism, I visited Doo Peas Corporate Towers. Though the business division was fully staffed, Simis Bachelor needed a Paper Boy ASAP. I got a job, too."

"Wow!! And we thought this would be difficult!"

After Meg honed her horticulture skill by planting a few seeds in their front yard, the pair chose to visit the library to do a bit of reading. Eliot, wishing to meet new townies and be well-liked, picked up a charisma book. Meg knew she still had some studying to do, so she read a gardening text.

Eliot overheard Xander Clavell speaking enthusiastically to his mother about the Grill-a-Thon being held down at Old Pier Beach, so Eliot and Meg ventured over to the shore to check it out. They met the Bunch family, who came to enjoy a picnic by the sea. Eliot wanted to be friendly, so he began to grill hot dogs for the crowd. Meg picked apples and limes from the nearby fruit trees and watched.

"You've GOT to be kidding me," thought Eliot as he dropped a hot dog while flipping it.

Once two batches of hot dogs were done (enough for the Bunches), the two returned home. Eliot got started on his first literary attempt, a sci-fi novel titled "The H-W Effect," while Meg experimented on the new chemistry set.

They cuddled together on their cheap but new bed while discussing the day's events.

"We've had a great first day here," Meg stated.

"It may be called Sunset Valley, but I think the sun is just rising on our new life together."

Offline MissPlumbBob

• Sims Biographer
  • Immortal
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 03:20:52 PM »
Week One, Day Two - This Is Not Goodbye

"This is beautiful," Meg said in awe as she stared at a painting on the wall.

Meg had been wanting to visit the gallery ever since she spotted it in Sunset Valley's online brochure. Now she and Eliot were browsing the second floor of the Sunset Institute of Modern Art.

Mr. Wolff seemed to be having a strange reaction to the artwork, Meg noticed. He sweated, trembled, and stuttered when he spoke. The "symptoms" continued to worsen until Meg finally asked him if there was anything wrong.

"No, Sweetea. In fact, it's the complete opposite. There's something very right about tonight."

"I suppose," joked Meg, wondering exactly what he meant. She brushed it off until they were about to leave for home. Eliot took her hand and began to speak.

"See those rocks, Meg?" he asked as he motioned to the stones to his left. "I wanted you to know that you are my foundation, my rock. You have been my strength since the day you came into my life..."

At this point, Eliot kneeled down and presented her with a small box. Opening it, he said, "Meg, will you forever support me in marriage?"

Meg gasped and covered her mouth. She looked around, not out of embarassment, but because she knew what she was about to say had consequences and carried pain. She watched Eliot's face fall in disappoinment as she reached out, shut the ring box, and embraced him, holding her man tight. Meg felt her heart breaking with his.

She whispered into his ear,

"I love you; never question this. Marriage is such a commitment, one that I want to make with you."

She momentarily left his arms and looked into his eyes.

"My love, I will be your rock one day. Today, I am not ready to be."

Meg's heart sank as she put her hand up to his cheek and felt a tear slip down it. She never wanted to hurt him but understood that her rejection would do just that.

"I will not say to not cry, for not all tears are wasted. Keep the ring. On a night not far from this one, you will hear 'yes'."

Though the taxi ride back home was slightly awkward, Meg was confident she had done the right thing. For both of them...

CandyHeartedSim

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 03:56:14 PM »
Poor Eliot :(

Great so far, Elizabob!

Offline MissPlumbBob

• Sims Biographer
  • Immortal
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 04:01:56 PM »
Thank you! That warms my heart that you enjoyed it. :D

Don't worry, Eliot won't be sad for long. ;)

Offline xFezIsAFreakx

• Ironic Philanthropist
  • Watcher
  • Simmer/Nerdfighter
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 04:13:33 PM »
I also love this. You are an amazing writer. ^_^

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MissPlumbBob

• Sims Biographer
  • Immortal
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 04:16:14 PM »
Thank you! To be honest, I felt a little like Eliot when no one responded to it my first couple of entries.

But what you two have said makes up for it. :D

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 04:20:14 PM »
WHAT?! I'm so sorry, I thought I had submitted my comment, it turns out I didn't! :-[ Anyway, here it goes:

This is totally awesome, Elizabeth, you have such a unique way with words! I'm sorry for Eliot, much, though. -sniff-
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline MissPlumbBob

• Sims Biographer
  • Immortal
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 05:57:04 PM »
Thanks, Chronic! Don't worry; I knew you hadn't forgot me. ;)

The highlight of my day:

This is totally awesome, Elizabeth, you have such a unique way with words!

P.S. - Thank you to any readers who are following but not commenting. You guys are just as important as the people who leave me responses. :)

EDIT: I forgot that I wanted to go ahead and mention that the next update will contain an even bigger twist than the proposal rejection. I'd love to have you guys stick around for it. Hopefully, it will be posted late tonight.

Sportsfan

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 07:39:28 PM »
You are such great writer! I totally felt for Elliot when Meg rejected his proposal.

Offline kiko94

• Immortal
  • you pronounce it *keko* not *kIko*
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 07:52:31 PM »
P.S. - Thank you to any readers who are following but not commenting. You guys are just as important as the people who leave me responses. :)
Thank you, I would have commented earlier but, you know I have going throught building Ideas  ::)
My Blog For Sims 3 Buildings, visit for exclusive content -07/11 update : New Houses and community lots, don't miss them !!

-The Awkward moment whe you are viewing who's online, and you find somone looking at your profile...

Offline MissPlumbBob

• Sims Biographer
  • Immortal
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 08:28:34 PM »
Week One, Days Three to Four - The Expectation

Tuesday night, Meg tossed and turned in bed. She rolled over and stared at the ceiling while feeling sick. The past day's whirlwind of events was enough to make her dizzy, perhaps nauseous.

She ended up making a dash to the bathroom in order to vomit. It surprised her how a day with a happy ending was manifesting itself physically.

The couple's third day in Sunset Valley played on constant repeat in her head...

After telling Eliot that she wasn't ready to marry him, he and Meg shared an uncomfortable kiss before bed. She chose to sleep in the living room that evening in order to give him his space. That, and she couldn't bear to hear Eliot cry himself to sleep.

That Tuesday morning, after arising from the bed where he sobbed until he had no more tears, Eliot made up his mind to talk to Meg. He had no plans to convince her of changing her mind at the time; he only wanted to lay out a plan for their futures. Whether those were together or separate, he remained uncertain. He mentioned this at breakfast.

"Meg, if possible, I would like you to take a couple days off work with me. I know you just started, but I believe that us spending time together is the most important thing right now. Even though we are short on simoleons, I will find a way to cover the expenses of both of us taking unpaid leave."

"I don't know, Eliot. We are cutting it close with the paychecks we have. I can't imagine making ends meet without them."

"I can't make you, love; all I know to say is that I don't think we will regret changing our focus, even if just for the two days."

"Okay," she agreed reluctantly.

They sat down to talk for a few minutes; they ended up talking until after the sun had retired for the day. By the end of the conversation, everything had been considered, reviewed, contemplated, and discussed thoroughly (most likely more than once). The couple worked out all their qualms about staying together and were even in a romantic mood, watching the stars together and later closing the door to their bedroom for more quality "alone" time.

Eventually, she dozed off, but not until after a repeat performance of tossing her cookies.

At dawn, the sun shone bright, spraying wondrous light around the couple as they awoke and kissed each other. It was a brand new day, and Meg planned to capitalize on its potential. She immediately made her way outside to the garden, where her plants had become full-grown. Life was blooming for Meg; her day weeding and watering flew by. Soon, Eliot asked her to join him in the living room for a moment.

As she entered the room, he could not bring himself to take his eyes off her. She was incredibly beautiful and glowing, almost.

He took her hands and held them in his before saying,

"My Sweetea, time after time I've waited for someone to love for the rest of my life. Last time I asked, you asked me to wait a little longer. I have waited until I felt the time was right: now. This time, I will ask you to spend the rest of your days with me. If you say 'not yet' again, I will remain with you as long as I must because I will not give up on you until you say 'yes'. You are worth it, and so much more..."

He trailed off, lost in his emotion and caught up in the moment. Tonight, he didn't kneel or even show her a ring. She knew by his words that he would place it on her finger if she agreed. Eliot simply waited for her answer.

"Yes, we will," Meg responded, this time with tears in her eyes.

"We?"

She placed his hand on her stomach, and Eliot felt a kick. Meg wept with joy as she confirmed, "She told me to say 'yes'."

Offline MissPlumbBob

• Sims Biographer
  • Immortal
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 09:08:46 PM »
Thank you, Sportsfan and kiko94! I would have posted this earlier, but I was in the middle of writing this newest installment. :D If you want, you could tell me what you think. ;)

EDIT: Oh, and I'm happy the story has gotten over 100 views. It may seem small compared to other stories on the forum, but I still see it as an accomplishment. :D

Sportsfan

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 09:50:46 PM »
Oh, and I'm happy the story has gotten over 100 views. It may seem small compared to other stories on the forum, but I still see it as an accomplishment. :D
Youre a little bit away from the dreamweaver dynasty, but I would have been thrilled to get that many views as fast as you have for mine. Again, great writing. Congrats on them getting married! Did Meg really reject the first time when you were playing?