Author Topic: Invisible Paintings?  (Read 18193 times)

VampirePlasma

Invisible Paintings?
« on: July 30, 2011, 09:34:47 PM »
I need help, this is in my Dynasty, and I really don't want to re-start because of this issue. Thanfully the portraits are still there but when I place paintings on the walls they disappear! I really don't want that to happen. I have had them in their inventory for a while is that it?

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: Invisible Paintings?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 10:15:15 PM »
If you mouse over them, can you find them?  Are they still there, even though they're invisible?  Or are they just gone?

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 10:49:10 PM »
I think I have the same problem in one of my dynasties now.   I took the painting out of the sim's inventory and put it on the wall but the moment it's on the wall it disappears.  When I move my mouse over it, nothing changes.  However, I can't put anything else in that spot either.  If I try to put a different painting there, it says "can't intersect other objects."  The painting is there but it's not.  So far, my research has found nothing to figure out how to get the space back without just deleting that wall and invisible painting. :(
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

VampirePlasma

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 10:50:51 PM »
You can't even delete the wall it says Occupied by Object. I just painted something and put it on the wall with no bugs, it seems to me that is if they are to much time in your inventory.

Chuckles_82

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 04:37:43 AM »
You're not alone. I had a few paintings go invisible too. They were early level small paintings, because my sim had a wish to decorate the house with x amount of paintings. At that early stage I often haven't built my house yet, so I just stick them up in mid-air (with moveobjects on) and take them back down again. They didn't all go invisible, just a few. I didn't find a way to retrieve them either.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 06:05:53 PM »
Hi.
Use moveobjects to remove it from the easel and place it in midair. From there, turn moveobjects off and place it on a wall. It worked for me.

Chuckles_82

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 07:18:46 PM »
Hi.
Use moveobjects to remove it from the easel and place it in midair. From there, turn moveobjects off and place it on a wall. It worked for me.

I'm confused. Do you mean to stop them going invisible when you put them up?? Because they didn't go invisible until they were placed, at which point they were no longer clickable, (mousing over them didn't work) but still in the way of everything else.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 07:56:50 PM »
I'm confused. Do you mean to stop them going invisible when you put them up?? Because they didn't go invisible until they were placed, at which point they were no longer clickable, (mousing over them didn't work) but still in the way of everything else.

Yes. I used this in my Dynasty to make the paintings stay totally visible.
Here's an example.
I painted the portrait of my Generation Three heir. When I took it off the easel, it was visible. I put it on the wall, and it became invisible. I repainted a portrait, and used Moveobjects to do the trick above. The painting never turned invisible.
I've also heard rumours that invisble paintings can be fixed by using moveobjects on them (or rather, where they were), but at this point, they're just that - rumours.

Chuckles_82

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 08:12:46 PM »
Thankyou for that Seabody :) I've linked this thread to Pam's thread about the same issue.

jimmysim

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 01:58:11 PM »
I had this problem too today, I discovered though that if I put a painting on a wall and it disappeared, then hit the undo button to put it back in my family inventory and put it on the wall again it didn't disappear again. Just thought I would share.

loveSims

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2011, 04:39:04 PM »
Thanks that's good to know! Welcome to the forum ;D

Offline candyraver69

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 05:23:30 PM »
Just thought I would share what my luck has been with this issue to see if it helps someone else down the road. I've seen people mention in the other thread that links to this one it happens after moving. I have had it happen in houses where I started from day 1 like legacy challenge, so it can happen without moving. As far as using moveobjects to place a painting so it doesn't turn invisible... that has not worked for me in most cases. If I place it in midair, it goes invisible midair... and then I really have to quit without saving or there is a picture blocking things with no way of deleting it because there is no wall to delete with it on. (at which point goodbye legacy) In my experience every time this bug hits, it's when I have the picture in my inventory a pretty great deal of time. So my best advice, especially for legacy players who really need the paintings, hang them up right after painting them- not in the final display room- but somewhere- and then move them to the display room when you want. The rules if I remember right say once the painting is in the display room you cant change it, but I don't think it says anything about putting the painting somewhere else first like the dining room? Then moving it from wall wall to another if there is an issue you can use the back arrow in buy mode anyways.

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 05:48:05 PM »
Welcome to the forum, candyraver69.  And thanks for sharing that tip.  Enjoy the forum!

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 08:26:04 PM »
I had something similar happen with a cut gem I had placed on the floor.  After I had a bunch of them had been placed, one vanished (it was in a basement area).  I couldn't pick it up or place anything in the square, and couldn't remove that section.  As I recall, I fixed the problem by putting all the other gems in family inventory and it eventually re-appeared.  So now I always place gems on something, so if they go invisible I can pick up the display and drop it into family inventory.

Of course...that won't work with paintings.  :(
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline Odie

• Occult
  • Dutch mommy living in Norway
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 06:31:22 PM »
This is a very late reaction to this post, I know. But I just found a good solution for me and I just wanted to share that. Possibly people will still search for a solution, just like I did.

For me the Moveobjects cheat works only 10% of the time or so, so no real luck with that.

The best thing is probably what MoonsAreBlue said in the other tread about invisible paintings:
The best thing to do is when your sim completes a painting, go to buy mode and put it in your family inventory. That way, if you place it on the wall and it disappears while is buy mode, you can still hit undo.

But if you're as unlucky as me and you have put all paintings in your painters inventory already, that doesn't work :'( because you cannot move something from the personal inventory directly to the family inventory...

After some puzzling I found out that when you move the paintings to the inventory of another sim of that household, your problem is solved. Just drag the paintings one by one to the other sim and let go when you see the sim light up. From that other sims' inventory I was able to move all paintings to the wall and didn't loose any! :D
Of course, now you can place them in your family inventory if you want.

I hope to have helped somebody with this!
Problem? Don't panic! There is always a solution. You just have to find it  :D

anything