Author Topic: Is a selfmade logo legal to upload to the swapshop?  (Read 4626 times)

Leto85

Is a selfmade logo legal to upload to the swapshop?
« on: July 25, 2011, 11:14:02 AM »
I saw some vids on YouTube where people did show how to import a selfmade logo in Create a Pattern so I know it is possible to make.
But is it legal here?
I have some great ideas to make in Create a Pattern, but I have to know if it's legal.

Like adding a Carl's Guide logo into The Sims 3. (Free advertising Carl ;)).

Natsuko

Re: Is a selfmade logo legal to upload to the swapshop?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 11:20:26 AM »
It depends on what website your advertising for. Some of them have copyright rules and specifics if you want to advertise for them, but other websites don't really care.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Leto85

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 05:06:13 PM »
It depends on what website your advertising for. Some of them have copyright rules and specifics if you want to advertise for them, but other websites don't really care.

Nada, I have photoshopped my own stuff (like I usually do) but I wanted to know if this was legal.
By the way, can we 'print' logo's on a sims t-shirt that a sim can wear ingame? I really need to know that.

Natsuko

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 05:10:51 PM »
Yup. Basically as long as the logo isn't copyrighted or you have permission, then its legal@

Leto85

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 05:14:54 PM »
Yup. Basically as long as the logo isn't copyrighted or you have permission, then its legal@

Oh, that is just wonderful! Thanks Natsuko. If I couldn't I really would have a problem. Now I know I have to learn a new program tomorrow.

Do you perhaps also know if we could completely change the appearance of clothing? I don't mean making our own (that can only be achieved non-legally) but changing the print on it with something we made ourself? Like... how do I say that without giving away what I am planning... like a costume that a sim wears like it is a second skin. Like a catwoman suite. Yes, that's all I can give away. :)

Natsuko

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 06:52:39 PM »
Oh, that is just wonderful! Thanks Natsuko. If I couldn't I really would have a problem. Now I know I have to learn a new program tomorrow.

Do you perhaps also know if we could completely change the appearance of clothing? I don't mean making our own (that can only be achieved non-legally) but changing the print on it with something we made ourself? Like... how do I say that without giving away what I am planning... like a costume that a sim wears like it is a second skin. Like a catwoman suite. Yes, that's all I can give away. :)
I think so.

Online Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 02:12:08 AM »

What could he be planning? ;D

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 04:19:11 AM »
Leto, Do you mean put our own pattern designs on clothing like these t-shirt things?

Gheez:

And Ausette?

I also made my own one as a test, with stickmen I drew in Photoshop.

Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Leto85

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 07:07:51 AM »
Exactly like that Samoht. Thanks, so I know I can do that now.

Offline Carl

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
    • Carl's Sims 4 Guide
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 07:39:57 AM »
Using things like that is fine by me. I'm not going to distribute it commercially, so it's probably fair use as you are getting creative with Sim clothing without making a negative impact on the original brand. In fact, it's free advertising for them, too.

We don't really have our own logo. It's just the Sims logo with text around it, but the plumbob is copyrighted so that's the best I can do! I've thought of trying to get something more professional but somehow losing the plumbob bothers me too much so it'll stay the way it is. I think that is the only point I'd make when using logos from anything commercial. You can't modify the original. It can be on a Sims shirt but you can't make changes to the way it looks. With what we use for the site, it's just the Sims logo with text nearby. The plumbob is unscathed. Anything like a costume is probably easier. it's not a trademarked logo and things like a "catwoman suit" change from time to time with he character so it's just a general look that is open to tweaking a bit.