Author Topic: Can't reset a sim with an accent in his name  (Read 5589 times)

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
Can't reset a sim with an accent in his name
« on: July 07, 2011, 03:46:08 PM »
I'm currently playing in Shang Simla, and everything was fine, but then it started lagging. I checked around the forums and finally figured out why. There were three sims stuck on one of the lots. I managed to reset 2 of them, but the last guy is a foreign explorer. His first name is Gerard, but there's an accent on the e. I'm playing on a laptop that doesn't have a number pad, so I can't use alt + number combination to get the correct letter. Any ideas of what I can do? This one stuck person is making Shang Simla a pain to play!

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
Re: Can't reset a sim with an accent in his name
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 04:37:10 PM »
Resetsim * will reset everyone, including the guy whose name you can't type. If you can put up with the lag, you might want to do this at something like 5 AM "Sim Time", when it's unlikely anyone will be doing much of anything important.

If you don't want to do that, a few things come to mind.

- If you're running Windows, you should have a program called "character map" - on my Windows 7 system, it's under Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Character Map. Double-click the proper character to put it into the selection box, then click "copy" to put it into the clipboard. The next step would be to try to paste it into the cheat console - I don't know if this can actually be done. (Even if it won't work in The Sims, it's good to know how to do this in case you someday want to type accented characters in an email or other document.)

- You might be able to plug a USB keyboard with a standard number pad into your laptop, or there might be a jack for some other keyboard connector.

- There might be some kind of function key on your laptop that turns some of the other keys into a number pad temporarily. This varies wildly from laptop to laptop so I'm not even going to begin to guess how exactly it might work on your specific one, but check the keys for differently-colored characters on them.

Good luck!
Immortal Dynasty: A Bouquet of Blossoms

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MoonsAreBlue

• Infatuated Fanatic
  • Watcher
Re: Can't reset a sim with an accent in his name
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 05:37:14 PM »
Thanks, cathy! What I did was Google é and copy and paste it into the cheat box. It worked just fine and now my game is running fine. I didn't know about Resetsim * though. I'll start using that one if I can't find the buggers that keep getting stuck.