Author Topic: Objects appreciating instead of depreciating  (Read 7576 times)

Sportsfan

Objects appreciating instead of depreciating
« on: June 30, 2011, 11:17:11 AM »
So this is the only bug in my game that, as far as I can tell, no one else has. Aren't objects when you place them in buy mode supposed to be worth less if you go to live mode and then back to buy mode? Mine are increasing in value. For example, the sim life goggles, cost 5,200 but when I wait a day in live mode then go to buy mode they are worth over 7,000. This means I have almost unlimited money because i can just keep selling and buying back the most expensive things in my house. It makes me feel like I'm cheating, however. Does anybody else have this problem?

Offline BellaClo

• Immortal
  • Has entered city planning mode
    • Reticulated Plumbobs
Re: Objects appreciating instead of depreciating
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 12:02:30 PM »
Are you playing an architect designer? the Sim life goggles are more expensive usually, around 9000-10000$. But architects get discounts on build/buy mode items.

7000$ is maybe the normal depreciated value for non architect.
Follow me @ RETICULATED PLUMBOBS and Happy Simming!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Sportsfan

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 12:13:28 PM »
I'm talking about when I'm building my own house and then play a little then go back to building the beds and TVs and everything else is worth more, but I thought they were supposed to lower in value by 15%.

Offline BellaClo

• Immortal
    • Reticulated Plumbobs
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 12:23:38 PM »
An item is depreciated as soon as you place it on the lot. Then, it looses more value during the next days, until it reaches a minimum value and doesn't depreciate anymore.

They are different ways to get a "cost reduction" on build/buy mode items. The ones I know are:
1. I think that when you reach level 10 in Handiness, you get a discount on appliances (or plumbing? I never pay attention)
2. Sims in Architectural profession (from Ambitions) get a discount on everything, even for their own house. This is the only explanation I can see to the goggles costing less than usual. Or a bug indeed, but this would be a nasty one.

Sportsfan

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 12:50:10 PM »
Thanks I understand now. I do have a sim in the architecture career. So that's why everything is cheaper. One weird thing is that when the objects are depreciating they are depreciating from the regular cost instead of the discounted cost, leading to me being able to sell them for more than what I paid for it.

Thanks
-Sportsfan

Offline BellaClo

• Immortal
    • Reticulated Plumbobs
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 04:57:28 PM »
One weird thing is that when the objects are depreciating they are depreciating from the regular cost instead of the discounted cost

They made a little mistake in their code, indeed. But for once, it's a good one! I don't play architects very often, so I had never noticed this.

Sportsfan

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 05:58:04 PM »
I'm practicing for the hobos to heros challenge, and I can tell that it was definitely he architect because in my other game stuff costs a lot more. Thanks again

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline athena

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 10:41:28 PM »
I hope this is not off topic, but what is the Sims life goggles for? I haven't really paid attention to it, is it an expensive toy? What does it do? Thanks!  :)

Offline BellaClo

• Immortal
    • Reticulated Plumbobs
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 01:53:22 AM »
It's kind of a portable video game system. Expensive, indeed, the normale price is around 9000$. You can find it under Electronic>Misc items.

Like all fun activity stuff, it raises the fun meter of the Sim who uses it. The big advantage is that it's one of the fastest way to replenish this need and get to the big 'Having a blast' moodlet (+40 / 8hrs). Then, since your Sims carry it in their inventory, they can also use it anywhere.

It's very usefull for work/school, especially when you plan to use the "work hard" tone, and marathon writing sessions too.

If you have Ambitions, you can sometimes find the goggles at the consignement shop, with a discount. And if your Sim is a celeb, you can get an additionnal discount too.

Offline Saltypaws

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 11:17:16 AM »
I think I understand what sportfan was talking about.  If your sim has a discount on household items, they will get items at a lower price, but when you sell them back, it is regular price, minus any depreciation, but the cost would still be higher to sell because of the reduced purchased price to begin with.  Geeze, I think I just confused myself, lol. :)
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 11:36:08 AM »
1. I think that when you reach level 10 in Handiness, you get a discount on appliances (or plumbing? I never pay attention)

Level 10 Handiness gives you a discount on all Build Mode materials.  There is no cost reduction for buy mode items unless something was added with Generations.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Sportsfan

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 01:55:28 PM »
Level 10 Handiness gives you a discount on all Build Mode materials.  There is no cost reduction for buy mode items unless something was added with Generations.

I think because I was playing with an architect I got a discount on everything.

anything