Author Topic: READ THIS FIRST - Rules for Stories Updated 12/2021  (Read 216950 times)

Offline Chry

• Nooboo
Re: READ THIS FIRST - Rules for Stories
« Reply #105 on: July 02, 2013, 09:55:05 PM »
An ISBI challenge would be allowed on the forums but since it isn't a legacy you would post it in the miscellaneous stories board.

Ok  thank you :)

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #106 on: July 02, 2013, 10:48:17 PM »
Hey guys.  There is a rule about using acronyms and I have no idea what an ISBI is.  Can one of you please spell it out?
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ilovegnomeland

• Nooboo
« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2013, 10:48:41 PM »
Hello,
I'm pretty new to the forum, though I've been a lurker and admirer for awhile. I wanted to start my own story, but I had a few questions first. I've read the rules, but I just want to be sure I'm not violating any others when I write my story.

1) It seems to me that a "story" is different from a "legacy", am I right? Am I wrong in assuming that a legacy is a form of challenge with more specific rules and a story is more free and less restrictive, with no definable objective? I understand that you can turn your legacy into a story, but can I just write a story for my Sims without the legacy aspect?

2) Is it appropriate for me to use mods (i.e. Twallan's mods) and custom content (i.e. custom skins, hair, make-up, clothes, objects, etc.)?

3) I understand there is no WooHoo or violence allowed, however, if my Sim happens to have a bad interaction that leads to a fight (I might be confusing Sims Medieval and TS3 here. I have both, so I can't remember if there are fights in TS3) is that permitted? Are WooHoos permitted if it's just the Sims under their covers or in the underwater cave or photo booth? I'm not quite clear of what the extent of censorship is here. I obviously won't be giving any graphic descriptions, but what is permissible for a screenshot? If the action is part of the game is it permitted? I don't have any violent or sexual mods, so I would only have what is already in the game.

That's about it. I just wanted to get some clarification before I start writing anything. I apologize if my questions have been asked before or if they seem "noobish". I'm new to the forums and am just trying to catch up. Thank you.

Offline Ricalynn

• Herder of Raptors, Pineapples, Grims, Gnomes, Alphas & Sassypants Squad.
  • Watcher
  • Addicted to Dynasties? *shifty eyes* Not me.
« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2013, 10:56:43 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Legacies can be stories, too.   The difference between a legacy, a dynasty, a project or a miscellaneous story is the reason behind the story.  A legacy, dynasty and project are all in regards to very specific challenges which all have very specific rules and reasons.  The object of a legacy is to get to 10 generations and there are variations on the rules of how to get there with a points system.   A dynasty is very specific challenge that is exclusive to Carl & Pam's Forum that covers one of three rulesets with specifics for each generation played that must be met or it's a failure. 

As for just writing a story - that is fine.  If it's not for a specific set of rules then it would be under miscellaneous and we have many wonderful writers who do this.

You can use mods and CC all you want just remember to not to talk about the CC openly and take it to PMs if anyone asks as per the forum rules.

Woohoo is a part of the game.  Most violence is not and even then it's very lowkey.    As for screenshots, you can hint at stuff all you want.  Just remember there are younger members and we keep it family friendly.  Think of it this way -- If you had a young child, younger sibling or family member - would you want them to read your story? 

Good luck and Happy Simming.
Origin ID: Ricalynn | Discord: Rica#5389
Current Active Stories: Stayin' Alive: Take 5 - Story about A Grim

Please read and follow the Forum Rules.

Stories: Artie | The Race | Grim Chronicles | Revenge | Licious | Artie's TS4 Dynasty | Grim Rivalries | Speed Dreamin'

Offline ilovegnomeland

• Nooboo
« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2013, 11:48:32 PM »
Ricalynn-

Thanks so much for the prompt reply. It was very helpful. I understand it's a family-friendly site and I really don't have an interest in doing anything racy, just something like a screenshot of the underwater cave with the heart-shaped petals coming out during Woohoo is what I was thinking. It seems like that is acceptable, which is good because I already posted a screenshot of that in the Island Paradise screenshot section before asking. :) It's just the cave with petals around it, pretty family-friendly. I look forward to submitting a story. Hopefully, I can figure out a legacy, but I think it's best I start with a story for the sake of learning. Anyways, thanks again. You've been very helpful.

Offline smartburn

• Occult
« Reply #110 on: July 03, 2013, 12:30:26 AM »
Hey guys.  There is a rule about using acronyms and I have no idea what an ISBI is.  Can one of you please spell it out?

I didn't know either, but it looks like it's short for I'm Surrounded By Idiots - it appears to be a challenge that was created during The Sims 2 and was somewhat adapted for The Sims 3 by others. Here's a recent link to another unofficial forum that explains the rules. It seems rather intriguing.

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
« Reply #111 on: July 03, 2013, 07:34:49 AM »
Ricalynn-

Thanks so much for the prompt reply. It was very helpful. I understand it's a family-friendly site and I really don't have an interest in doing anything racy, just something like a screenshot of the underwater cave with the heart-shaped petals coming out during Woohoo is what I was thinking. It seems like that is acceptable, which is good because I already posted a screenshot of that in the Island Paradise screenshot section before asking. :) It's just the cave with petals around it, pretty family-friendly. I look forward to submitting a story. Hopefully, I can figure out a legacy, but I think it's best I start with a story for the sake of learning. Anyways, thanks again. You've been very helpful.

Just to clarify another point: any one of the things Rica mentioned above can have a story to go along with it, if the player so desires. If you'd like to write a story about what's going on in your Legacy, go ahead! If you ever decide to try one of our Dynasties and want to document your progress, go ahead! The different boards are there to split up our stories into distinct categories. (We have a lot of talented writers here, and sometimes it's hard to keep all their stories straight  :P)

Yeah, I took a look at the screenshot, and anything like that is fine. The game itself usually censors all of the really racy stuff, thank to the Teen rating, so screenshots are usually safe.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ToniSimbot

• Llama Wrangler
  • We shall take over SimNation with fire and blood
    • Simblr (beware spoilers)
« Reply #112 on: August 08, 2013, 03:49:06 AM »
Question: If we wanted to write a story - not a legacy, dynasty, or any challenge with rules - but it's an adaptation of another story like a book/myth/show or just follow a household to a nondescript point, how could we go about that?
Current Story: Vesta's Reward

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #113 on: August 08, 2013, 06:56:48 AM »
Question: If we wanted to write a story - not a legacy, dynasty, or any challenge with rules - but it's an adaptation of another story like a book/myth/show or just follow a household to a nondescript point, how could we go about that?

That would go on the Miscellaneous Stories board. 
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Nyx

• Townie
  • Nooboo
« Reply #114 on: September 28, 2013, 04:54:59 PM »
I didn't see anything posted about this. If an answer does exist out there, and I just missed it, sorry about that! But anyway are the only stories and legacies allowed here ones that have been posted directly into the threads? No linking to stories written on blogs, for instance? Thanks in advance!

Offline Audren

• Wearer of the Shoes
  • Watcher
  • O Captain, My Captain!
« Reply #115 on: September 28, 2013, 08:44:56 PM »
I didn't see anything posted about this. If an answer does exist out there, and I just missed it, sorry about that! But anyway are the only stories and legacies allowed here ones that have been posted directly into the threads? No linking to stories written on blogs, for instance? Thanks in advance!

No, blogs are definitely fine here. There aren't that many of them out there, but if you want to host your story on a blog, go ahead!  :D

Offline Twinmum

• Building inspector and trouble shooter
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #116 on: September 28, 2013, 09:14:20 PM »
No, blogs are definitely fine here. There aren't that many of them out there, but if you want to host your story on a blog, go ahead!  :D

Just remember though, that if you are linking from here to a blog, it must not contain adult content.
Have you read the Forum Rules?
And please try to remember Capitals, Commas and Apostrophes when you post.
Check out  Twinmum's creations on the Gallery for Sims 4 creations and Twinsom Realty for my Sims 3 Creations
For something non Sims - check out the miniatures I make at MiniisByTwinmum

Offline kimdacutie

• Llama Wrangler
  • Hello Simmers!
« Reply #117 on: September 30, 2013, 05:26:28 PM »
I have a question regarding posting my story. I have a really hard time understanding how to upload and write on the forum (it may seem silly I know) but I was wondering am I allowed to post lets say a tumblr link to my story so if people were interested in reading it they can? Or should I just strictly stick to some how figuring out how to post this on the forum?

Thanks so much
KDC

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #118 on: September 30, 2013, 08:08:06 PM »
I have a question regarding posting my story. I have a really hard time understanding how to upload and write on the forum (it may seem silly I know) but I was wondering am I allowed to post lets say a tumblr link to my story so if people were interested in reading it they can? Or should I just strictly stick to some how figuring out how to post this on the forum?

Thanks so much
KDC

Check the posts right above yours. Links are fine as long as the content is family friendly.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline raerei

• Nooboo
« Reply #119 on: October 22, 2013, 12:44:24 PM »
I have another story writing question and this was the best place I found since I didn't want to clutter up the Misc Story forum with a question. But as it's not related to rules, it feels a bit off topic. Feel free to point me to a better thread if there is one for talking about the craft of writing Sims stories.

My question is this:
Are there any resources about the Sims World? (Their world from their point of view, e.g. world-building stuff.)

I'm planning to write a story, but there's a lot of in-the-know type knowledge. I've been reading the stories here (some of them are amazing!) and I plan to read more, so I'm learning about things like nooboos and Watchers as I read. But if anyone knows of an introduction to what Sims are like from their point of view that would help speed me along.

I can make it all up (and plan to for what I don't know), but I don't want to pretend my Sims are human. I like the Sims World and would like my stories to be set in a place with bins and sparkles and other things I haven't run across.

Any advice is appreciated!
Rae

anything