Author Topic: Trying to prevent bugs  (Read 5888 times)

Leto85

Trying to prevent bugs
« on: June 13, 2011, 10:34:18 AM »
I've read here somewhere that many bugs that came after installing Generations has to do with playing old families made before installing that game.
I can tell, because I've 'collected' them all until my old game wasn't playable anymore. But... I still am willing to try to find a way for us all to prevent bugs. So my next (let's not hope also hopeless) idea will be creating a new family, setting the Enable Story Progression off (but aging on, didn't know those two things where seperate :)) and start with a new family. But that person will get married with my latest generation of my previous family. And she will live in with him, until her parents die, she inherits all those millions and they can move back to her mansion. Perhaps that will work.

If anybody can confirm this to work, please share. Otherwise I will try it and share my findings.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
Re: Trying to prevent bugs
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 12:01:31 PM »
If you play a game with aging on and story progression off, townies will die of old age but will not be repopulated.  After a few generations, your family will be the only one left, unless you go around and make all the other families have children yourself.

If it seems to only affect old games, here's a thought:  Save the family in question to the bin, then evict them from the house and save the house to the bin separately.  Start a new neighborhood, placing the house where it was previously and move the family from the bin into it.  They will lose their previous family tree and all of their friends, but as I remember they retain their career levels.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 12:15:08 PM »
They will lose their previous family tree and all of their friends, but as I remember they retain their career levels.

I've recently moved a couple of sims from Twinbrook to Sunset Valley, so I can confirm that the one who was working in the Culinary career had the same level 10 job in the new town.  And everything in the personal inventory and family inventory (that great fridge!) came with them.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 12:33:28 PM »
I thought so.  It had been a long time since I've done anything like this, though, so I wasn't sure if I was remembering it correctly.  Often, I don't.   :D

Leto85

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 06:54:25 PM »
Schipperke is totally right about that. I've done it already but they did loose their careers however. At least two of them, because the filmset building wasn't premade in Riverview. But oh well, those sims are going to die of old age anyway and my new sim is already dating and befriending the offspring.
When he stays at her parents house nothing buggy happens, so I can say: so far so good. :)

Let's keep it that way! (Was talking to my computer.)

Offline simsally

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 08:07:54 PM »
I started playing the Wolffe family for my decadynasty and got the "green blocks" bug, within a sim week.  Should say I never played them before, so it was a new save with a premade family.  Decided to play the baby boomer challenge and created my first two sims in CAS.  So far, so good.  About thirty sim days and no bug.  (Crossing fingers, toes and anything else that crosses  :D)  Sounds like, at least for me, premade families will have to wait till EA fixes a few more things.  (Unless of course their fix breaks something else).  Thanks for posting this info Leto85.  I haven't read about this, and actually didn't make any connection till now.  Good to know.

Leto85

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 05:01:53 AM »
No problem simsally. Welcome to the forum by the way, as I haven't saw you before here.
I find the whole idea of not playable premade families one of the bad things that could happen to players.
If it turns out that my premade sim Alexis will cause troubles once my new sim has married her I will try it with the offspring, the child of those two. That sim (which don't exist yet) will not be directly created by me, but could live with her dad to avoid bugs incoming.

the Wolffe family is an existing family or one you've created? The name sounds formilliar. A decadynasty is a dynasty based on gamemade sims perhaps?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline KrispyNickyB

• Immortal
  • The round peg in a square hole.
    • Subscribe to me on Youtube!
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 09:27:10 AM »
I don't know if this will help. However, I tried the evicting the family and creating a new sim and all of those lovely tricks. None of the above is working for me. Well besides a headache :P

Leto85

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2011, 10:46:32 AM »
I thought to notice the first bug noticed since my before Generations sims moved in with my sim: can't buy items at the Conseignment store.
But that one can easily be solved by canceling the selled conseignment items.

Offline simsally

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2011, 12:11:50 PM »
the Wolffe family is an existing family or one you've created? The name sounds formilliar. A decadynasty is a dynasty based on gamemade sims perhaps?
Thanks for the welcome Leto85  :D.  Yeah the Wolffe family is an existing townie family in Sunset Valley.  The decadynasty starts with premade sims and requires heirs to move in with townie families.  Haven't played the dynasty since I got the bug, been working on my babyboomer challenge.  Up till generations I was pretty lucky with the bug issue, of course I never played premade families till I tried the dynasty challenge.  Not sure if will attempt it again because of this.

Offline Noodles

• Occult
  • Guineapig lover ♥
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 01:04:27 PM »
If it seems to only affect old games, here's a thought:  Save the family in question to the bin, then evict them from the house and save the house to the bin separately.  Start a new neighborhood, placing the house where it was previously and move the family from the bin into it.  They will lose their previous family tree and all of their friends, but as I remember they retain their career levels.

...Are you positive the familytree will be lost? I started my family in Twinbrook, and after the first generation kids had been born, saved the family to the bin (without the house) and moved them to Sunset Valley. They had their family tree exactly as it was before the move - of course it consisted only of the sims in that single household.
Does the familytree disappear if there are sims in it that are not a part of the active household which is moving? (foe example, kids that have moved out or dead sims etc)

I might have to move my family to a new file to "run away" some constant bugs, but if the familytree is lost, I don't want to do it. Maybe I'll do some testing later to check this out...

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2011, 01:09:49 PM »
...Are you positive the familytree will be lost?

I apologize for being unclear on that.  I meant that anyone in the family that Grimmy has come to call on will no longer appear in the family tree.  Anyone who is still alive will still be there.

Offline simsally

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2011, 04:04:03 PM »
...Does the familytree disappear if there are sims in it that are not a part of the active household which is moving? (foe example, kids that have moved out or dead sims etc)
I had an adult move out of her mother's house in Twinbrook and move into a home in Riverview.  When she got to her new home she no longer had a mother or brother.  So it would seem only the sims within the active household retain their family ties, at least when switching neighborhoods.   I was very disappointed when she became familyless. (if thats even a word  ???)  I was thinking it was a bug but i've been afraid to try it again.  If anyone knows better, please let me know.

Leto85

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2011, 04:49:03 PM »
I apologize for being unclear on that.  I meant that anyone in the family that Grimmy has come to call on will no longer appear in the family tree.  Anyone who is still alive will still be there.

You can prevent that by taking the tombstones of the past away sims on your lot before backing up that lot with family to the bin.
If you want to have only the family, than be sure all the tombstones are in the family inventory.
I see more people didn't knew this so I will made a seperate topic about it. More people will see it that way.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2011, 02:15:46 AM »
You can prevent that by taking the tombstones of the past away sims on your lot before backing up that lot with family to the bin.

I asked someone about that and they said that taking the tombstones didn't work.  I may have to test this myself one day so we know for sure.

anything