Author Topic: How do you use Tab Mode?  (Read 72106 times)

Natsuko

How do you use Tab Mode?
« on: June 10, 2011, 02:48:50 PM »
So lately I've been hearing alot about Tab Mode, and I would like to use it. I heard you can create great screenshots with it... So how do you enabled Tab Mode?

Offline Schipperke

• CAS Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: How do you use Tab Mode?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 02:51:07 PM »
So lately I've been hearing alot about Tab Mode, and I would like to use it. I heard you can create great screenshots with it... So how do you enabled Tab Mode?

It's easy, Natsuko.  Just press the tab key when you're in Live Mode.  This will allow you to take closer shots and different angles than otherwise.  When you want to go back to regular view, just press tab again.

Designed by Swirl~Girl, THBL Logo by Danielle Haydis                            CAS Contest Logo designed by Samoht04

Please read The Forum Rules.

Links to My Stories                 CAS Contests

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 02:52:44 PM »
It's not a specific mode per se, like Buy or Build mode. You simply hit the Tab key when you're ready to take a screenshot and that allows you to fine tune things a bit more. Sometimes I use it and sometimes it makes no difference at all depending on what I need a screenshot of. If I really need to get close, then pressing Tab is essential.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 11:15:34 AM »
You can get some amazing shots using the Tab button. To move in the mode, some basic keys are:

+/- or Z/X - Zoom In/Out

Arrows (up, down, left, right) - obviously, moving around

Moving the mouse - changing the angle of view

A/D - rotation (normal)

</> - rotation (looks a little weird to me, not the normal one, but I may be wrong)
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2011, 11:48:40 AM »
The scroll wheel on your mouse will zoom in and out as well.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline CSquared2

• Watcher
  • Got nooboo?
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2011, 11:55:10 AM »
I often find it necessary to use both for the same shot.  The one thing you can't do in tab is rotate the position of the camera, so I often have to go back and do that in regular camera mode.  You're also stuck in one spot in terms of the camera's angle to the floor, so if that needs changing, back to regular camera mode.  Also, the keys to hide and show walls don't work in tab mode, so that's something else to do before you get into it.  What you see is what tab mode will show, so if there's a wall in the way, no amount of zooming in or out will help in tab mode.  You have to get super close sometimes in regular mode so whatever is in the way isn't visible.  The great thing is once you then go into tab mode, no amount of zooming in or out will bring that object into the shot.  It's great for pictures of toddlers on the floor.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2011, 11:59:13 AM »
I often find it necessary to use both for the same shot.  The one thing you can't do in tab is rotate the position of the camera, so I often have to go back and do that in regular camera mode.  You're also stuck in one spot in terms of the camera's angle to the floor, so if that needs changing, back to regular camera mode.  Also, the keys to hide and show walls don't work in tab mode, so that's something else to do before you get into it.  What you see is what tab mode will show, so if there's a wall in the way, no amount of zooming in or out will help in tab mode.  You have to get super close sometimes in regular mode so whatever is in the way isn't visible.  The great thing is once you then go into tab mode, no amount of zooming in or out will bring that object into shot.  It's great for pictures of toddlers on the floor.

That is what the pause button is for, right? ;) In fact, the letters A/D can rotate the view pretty much the same way as the rotate arrows.
Another thing about the Tab mode - it works the same way as the cheat FadeObjects. It means, in Tab mode objects do not fade like they do in Live mode.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline CSquared2

• Watcher
  • Got nooboo?
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 12:01:36 PM »
That is what the pause button is for, right?

Absolutely!  I do have to say that sometimes I do let the game run while I'm in tab mode trying to get a particular facial expression or capture a certain fleeting moment.  Toddlers are a good example.  They make some cute faces and some ugly ones, but none last for more than a moment, so I just set up my shot, un-pause the game and wait in tab mode.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 12:04:49 PM »
The one thing you can't do in tab is rotate the position of the camera, so I often have to go back and do that in regular camera mode.

It's possible to rotate the camera in tab mode...it's just not easy to do.  It takes a lot of maneuvering using the arrow keys.  But I suppose I'm splitting hairs again, because you're right in that it's much easier to do in the regular camera mode.  ;)

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2011, 03:40:14 PM »
You can do Shift + A or D to turn the Camera around for a Side View or even upside down.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline CSquared2

• Watcher
  • Got nooboo?
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2011, 10:57:57 PM »
You can do Shift + A or D to turn the Camera around for a Side View or even upside down.

Well I learned something new today, too.  Thanks!   ;D

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 12:08:55 AM »
Well I learned something new today, too.  Thanks!   ;D

Indeed!  Very interesting.  Thanks for the info!

You could take some interesting "Batman Villain" style screenies.  :P

Offline Execution

• Occult
  • Rawr.
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2011, 11:52:38 PM »
I've found Tab Mode/Cameraman Mode adds a warped effect to things when looking up at things or at a bird's eye view. If I'm taking pictures of floor plans, no Cameraman Mode/Tab Mode for me.

anything