Author Topic: Strange thing happened with my toddler...  (Read 2744 times)

Offline ZacSz

• Llama Wrangler
Strange thing happened with my toddler...
« on: June 09, 2011, 09:41:34 AM »
So, I was playing a family the other day and the mother's LTW was "Surrounded by family." By the time her last two children were born (twin boys) there were already 4 other children in the house. That was a little too much for them to handle and they had a comfortable income, so the triplet girls were all sent to boarding school. One of them was unhappy and came back, but while the twins were baby's the eldest turned to a teen. So, basically the house had a teen (minimal effort from the parents as the teen could of course take care of himself, for the most part), a child and two infants soon-to-be-toddlers. When the twins turned into toddlers, I did everything I could to ensure they had a happy childhood. The mother was a stay-at-home mom so she got to spend a lot of time with him and the father did as well when he was around and not at work. Both of them got taught all of the necessary toddler things, were read to, were generally happy. Of course, every once in a while one of them would get a lonely or hungry or dirty moodlet but these were taken care of swiftly. Then, when they grew into children one of the toddlers (Jeramy) was assigned a trait because of my poor parenting skills. The other one, I got to choose a trait for him because of my excellent parenting skills. The even more bizarre thing is, even though I tried to give them both attention, Jamison (2nd twin) seemed to need a little less so Jeramy received even more attention from mom and dad and yet he was the one who grew up to be a coward. Does anyone know why this might be?

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
Re: Strange thing happened with my toddler...
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 02:07:09 PM »
The game doesn't really see traits as "good" or "bad."  Traits are traits.  When you don't get to pick them, the traits are randomly selected, so he had just as much chance to grow up Brave as he did a Coward.

But if they were taught everything, you should have had the opportunity to pick the traits for both children.  Are you sure you finished that?
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ZacSz

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 08:49:26 PM »
Yes, I know traits are randomly assigned and can be "good" as well as "bad" (obviously objective) all I meant is coward is definitely not a trait I use normally unless I want a funny game because it's really a wasted trait IMHO, especially if there's no reason for it to be assigned.  

And yes, I'm absolutely 100% sure they were both taught everything... I'm not precisely sure why this was because they were twins but one was actually 1 day older than the other one, so the last day of the older toddler's life-stage I was able to focus on him and ensure he had finished learning everything. In addition, I also had the opportunity to have a whole extra day with the younger twin as a toddler to make certain he finished learning what he needed to as well. That's why I'm so confused. I just used testingcheatsenabled to modify it even though that was a non-cheating game for me; I (or, I suppose my sims!) put so much work into raising all of their children that I was exceedingly frustrated about that outcome. In fact, the twin who was randomly assigned the trait was the only one of the six children who apparently got the brunt of my bad parenting sklls :P

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 12:23:04 AM »
Welcome to the Forum, ZacSz.

The game is known to glitch on the ages of twins sometimes.  I even had a pair of twins that got to be two days apart.  If you want them to get back on track with the same birthday, just age them up together with cake on the first twin's birthday.

As for the trait that was assigned, toddlers have to be taught three things in order for you to choose the trait:  walking, talking, and potty training.  It may have just been an oversight on your part.  Otherwise it's just another glitch in the game.  There are no known bugs that are causing this problem.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 11:29:51 AM »
I just used testingcheatsenabled to modify it even though that was a non-cheating game for me; I (or, I suppose my sims!) put so much work into raising all of their children that I was exceedingly frustrated about that outcome.

I'm not a chronic user of cheats, personally.  The only cheats I really use are building cheats and to get objects that are only available in the buydebug menu (like tomb items and the invisible area lights).  However, if I found myself in your situation where I was absolutely sure that I had done everything that I needed to do to pick a trait on aging up, I wouldn't consider it cheating to use the testing cheats to rectify it.  I'd see it more as fixing a game bug.

It's a perspective thing.  ;)
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline TallStar

• Immortal
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 02:29:08 PM »
I had this happen on my legacy. The only thing I could ever think of was that the child didn't have a "green" mood all of the time.
Was the child not happy, even though he was well taken care of?

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 09:00:13 PM »
I had this happen on my legacy. The only thing I could ever think of was that the child didn't have a "green" mood all of the time.
Was the child not happy, even though he was well taken care of?

Had what happen?  We've covered a couple of different things.
Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.