Author Topic: How Do I Move My Family?  (Read 8989 times)

Offline catlover

• Townie
How Do I Move My Family?
« on: January 16, 2010, 09:27:59 PM »
First, thank you for a GREAT website....I have been able to find answers and guidance from this site better and faster than from the main Sims site, which I found only to be painfully aggravating to say the least.

Ok, I am a newbie to Sims....but I am catching on fast and enjoying it very much!

I have a question for you "seasoned" simsers.....I created 2 Sims and moved them into a premade home. They are married with a baby and they are getting very crowded in their tiny home. One of my Sims owns all of the businesses in town, and they both are very successful in their careers. I am ready to move my family and I am not sure how to purchase and move them into a new home.....and also, when they move out of their old house will they retain all of the progress they have made and just begin living in their new house, life and business as usual?

Just to verify.....I will have to put all of their furniture....etc... into the family inventory, right....or just cash it all in and start over buying it all back in the new home?

Thanks for any help and/or advise!
catlvr

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Forum Founder and Friend
  • Watcher
Re: How Do I Move My Family?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 10:02:39 PM »
Hi Catlvr!  Welcome to our Forum.  We're thrilled you're here and finding good quality assistance.  I moved your post to a board that's more appropriate for your questions.

You have several options when you're ready to move your family.  You can move to an existing house or build your own, just like when you started the game.  To move your family, use a telephone (cell or house) or the computer.  Click "Move" and then select the house or empty lot you want to purchase.  You'll be on the map view and there will be tags that show you which houses are occupied and which are empty.  It will also show you the ones you can afford to buy.  When you've made your choice, click on Purchase or whatever the button is.  You'll get a window that shows the members of your family with arrows by each of them to click them over to the new house.  At the bottom will be an option to either sell or pack the furniture.  If you sell it, you'll lose all of it and your family funds increase accordingly.  If you pack it, you'll find everything (even cabinets and appliances) in your family inventory when you arrive at the new house.  From that point, you can pick and choose what you want to use, store, or sell.  The new house will also be completely furnished, so you'll have plenty.  The game makes it very easy to move, really.  And yes, your Sims will retain all of their progress in skills and career.  None of that will change.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Read and heed the Forum Rules, please!

Support the site when you purchase online!
Dreamweaver Immortal Dynasty
Dreamweaver 4 x 4 Dynasty
Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

"Half of my posts are correcting people. The other 49% is moving threads."

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 11:48:44 AM »
I was moving my sim to a bigger lot for more room and after the move I was looking through the family inventory and noticed some items missing. So I had to reload before the move and put these items in my family inventory myself then move again.

The WA chest you can buy in the different countries.
The Fortune Cookie Maker
The Nectar Maker
The Training Dummy
The Board Breaker

Most of it wasn't a big deal sense it would be easy to replace but the chest would have been a big loss sense I use them to store extra gems,metals,collection items,fruit,fish, ext.

These was the only items I noticed off hand that wasn't packed but there could have be others that I'll notice as I build the new house and start moving the furniture in.

Edit: I merged these posts as they discussing similar things.  -Pam
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

bcollins87

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 03:45:53 PM »
I've built this nice little neighborhood in Sunset Valley and built this one household up really nice but I want to move on to a new household. Is it possible to keep the old household's jobs and skills?

[Edit:  I merged your question into a topic that has already discussed this.  You might find your answer already in this thread.  -Pam]

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 03:59:14 PM »
bcollins87 -

Your family will keep their skills, but maybe not their jobs.  They continue their lives while you're playing a different family and they may quit their jobs or switch jobs.  You can never know what they will do.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Arkali

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 09:47:50 PM »
Hi, everyone :-)  I'm new here, and I have a question (funny how that works :-) )

Anyway, I'm working on a challenge with some friends, and part of the rules we are hashing out deals with funds and moving.  Does anyone know:

1) If only one sim from a family moves, how are family funds divvied up?  From the testing that we've done it seems like it's all or nothing - they either get all of the available cash or none.
2) How does the game determine which houses a sim is eligible to move into?

Just to give you an idea of what we're trying to achieve, we're trying to limit it so that a sim's starting funds are no more than his share - split evenly between the number of adults in the household.

Thanks very much :-)

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 10:06:48 PM »
Hi Arkali and welcome to our Forum!

It's true that you can't control how the money in a household is divided up if you move everyone to a different house.  I don't know how the game determines it, but it has something to do with the active household having the money.  One option is to just kick out a particular Sim.  You do this by using the Move option from a computer or telephone and then selecting "Kick Out" on the screen where you chose which Sims are leaving.  The Sim who is kicked out will find an empty house and just take possession of it without any money involved.

As for how the game determines which houses are available for moving, it's just the houses that happen to be empty at that particular moment.  Sims move around, leave town, and some new ones come to town, which makes the empty houses always changing.

If you and your friends are interested in challenges, we have some great ones here.  We've got a new tournament ranking system for 2010 that already has two wonderful challenges running.  We've also got several from last year that can still be played, but are not part of the 2010 tournament season.  Take a look and see if there might be one you'd like to play:  http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/forum/index.php?board=6.0

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Arkali

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 10:33:02 PM »
Thanks, Pam - I appreciate it :-)  I'll definitely take a look at those :-) 

Hrm.  For the kicked-out sim - are they in limbo until they find a house?  Because that would be the sim we'd want to control.  Thanks again.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 11:14:52 PM »
When a Sim is kicked out, there is no limbo.  The Sim walks or drives straight to the new house and goes inside.  Also, when you kick out a Sim, you no longer control him/her.  You would have to go into Edit Town (from the Main Menu) and change the active household to the Sim you just kicked out.  You'd need to follow that Sim when he/she leaves in order to know where the new place is.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Arkali

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 11:16:10 PM »
Ah!  Thanks much!

Offline catlover

• Townie
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 11:54:40 PM »
Hi Catlvr!  Welcome to our Forum.  We're thrilled you're here and finding good quality assistance.  I moved your post to a board that's more appropriate for your questions.

You have several options when you're ready to move your family.  You can move to an existing house or build your own, just like when you started the game.  To move your family, use a telephone (cell or house) or the computer.  Click "Move" and then select the house or empty lot you want to purchase.  You'll be on the map view and there will be tags that show you which houses are occupied and which are empty.  It will also show you the ones you can afford to buy.  When you've made your choice, click on Purchase or whatever the button is.  You'll get a window that shows the members of your family with arrows by each of them to click them over to the new house.  At the bottom will be an option to either sell or pack the furniture.  If you sell it, you'll lose all of it and your family funds increase accordingly.  If you pack it, you'll find everything (even cabinets and appliances) in your family inventory when you arrive at the new house.  From that point, you can pick and choose what you want to use, store, or sell.  The new house will also be completely furnished, so you'll have plenty.  The game makes it very easy to move, really.  And yes, your Sims will retain all of their progress in skills and career.  None of that will change.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Thanks Pam! This really helped.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 01:53:59 AM »
My pleasure, catlvr.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog

Offline Puppetmaster1

• Townie
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 11:47:31 PM »
I am also a sim newb.

My question is about buying an empty lot.  If you buy one, is there anyway to put a premade house on the lot, or do you have to build from scratch?

If not does that mean the Custom Content houses must be placed before starting the game?

subzero22

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 12:44:59 AM »
No, once you bought it and they moved in you can't place a house down on the lot unless you evict them which ends up losing everything.  You will either need to place it in edit town or move to another empty lot for a temp time then place it and move them back.

Offline Pam

• Community Manager
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 01:06:33 AM »
If not does that mean the Custom Content houses must be placed before starting the game?

Yes, they have to be placed before you start the game.

Pam's Sims 4 World Blog