Author Topic: I'm thinking of buying World Adventures...  (Read 6152 times)

Offline eastbankbabs123

• Llama Wrangler
  • Don't do anything I'd do.
I'm thinking of buying World Adventures...
« on: April 22, 2011, 04:36:26 AM »
But can someone tell me if it is worth it? (I normally have a family of 2-4, and spend most of my time on the LTW, Skills or the job.)
Thanks.

"I have to many friends I can't even remember some of their names" -Paris Hilton

Online Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
Re: I'm thinking of buying World Adventures...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 04:44:21 AM »
It's really a matter of personal choice. If you think that travelling will benefit your sims, then WA is a good choice. For instance, time is frozen whilst on vacation, so you can spend the time skilling. However, travelling without the Jetsetter LTR, which lowers travel costs, will mean it is kind of expensive.

It is also wellknown that China books from the Chinese bookcase in the base camp are worth bucketloads of money, so if sims begin to struggle, investing around $1800 simoleans to gain about $15,000 is a good deal. ;)

Since time is frozen while on vacation, you can leave sims at home while another sim is on vacation. Of course, the normal rules apply: Babies, Toddlers and Children cannot be left home alone, and with LN, vampires cannot travel.

More than one sim on vacation is generally difficult, on the basis that micro-management can be required. That's how Lola Belle died in one of my games. But some could find it easy.

As I said before, it's a matter of choice. Read about what some other people have to say about it, and weigh the options up.

Welcome to the forum eastbankbabs123!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 08:05:14 AM »
Once I had done the adventures while on vacation I didn't want to repeat them. They were fun the first time. I do like the items and building opportunities that WA gives you and to me that made it worth it.

Offline grimsoul

• Watcher
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 11:04:39 AM »
I thought WA was great. I enjoyed doing the adventures. But granted after you do them a few times you learn where every thing is. But I'm starting to do them again with a new character and now that's it's been awhile sense I have done the adventures I find I don't remember the dungeon layouts like I did a few months ago and can have some fun with them again.

The new building options are nice like being able to build a basement without have to resort to cheat codes to get it done.

After you get your visa level built up and get the Lifetime Rewards for traveling so you can take longer vacations and buy a vacation home you can reach the point where it's like living in one of the countries and you home town is your vacation spot.

and with LN, vampires cannot travel.

Not sure what Seabody meant by vampires cannot travel sense the sim I'm doing the adventures with now is a vampire. And it adds a new twist to them sense vampires don't like the sun much and you spend a lot of time running in the open going to talk to people,collecting items for quest and to reach the dungeons.

But for me I think WA was well worth it. I had and still have a lot of fun with this expansion.
A clear conscience is usually a sign of a bad memory.

Offline Slingsby

• Occult
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 01:34:58 PM »
Your Sim can make HUGE amounts of money doing Adventures, especially if you don't care about keeping collections.  I guess around §10,000 per trip, if you plan and work carefully.  It's my complete favourite TS3 EP, if only for the way you can 'stop time' and make loads of §§§§ in the process  ;D

Only note of caution ... the game has lots of bugs.  EA is never going to fix them, in what is now a very 'legacy' game.  See other threads for the work-around solutions!

Offline RunAmokSims

• Immortal
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 02:03:57 PM »
I forgot to mention this earlier. I also love some of the homes and buildings in the other countries. Right now I'm redoing Twinbrook and I placed a lot of the houses from France in my town.

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 02:46:21 PM »
WA is great for me. I may not be much into adventuring but I love going to the foreign places and having my Sims work on skills so that they can enjoy their lives more and not spend all their time working and skilling. I need to send my Sims on more 'fun' trips though.  :P
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Phyre

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 03:41:42 PM »
I only recently bought World Adventures. When it was released it did not sound very appealing to me, I didn't know how well the travel was done, and whether it would be worth the money. Once I found this forum and starting reading about all the things WA delivers I got so excited I bought it anyway. And I have not regretted that decision a minute.

It is true that it depends on your playstyle whether or not you will like WA, but I found it to be a blast. The traveling itself (new location, new people, new skills, seeds, collectables), but also the adventuring and tomb exploration. It really adds things to do in the game and it's a lot of fun to save up for a long trip and then let your sims go wild.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 11:43:37 PM »
Vampires can travel, although in certain places (Egypt), doing so is somewhat hazardous.  However, sims that have been recently bitten will not be able to travel until after they have turned.

I like WA a lot, and I don't even travel that much anymore.  The Photography skill alone was worth the money I paid for it, because I like to document my family's generations.  Before, the only way to do that the way I want to do it was to grind the painting skill to max and complete all of the challenges every generation.  However, that's extremely tedious, and unless you do it twice, it leaves someone "out of the picture" so to speak.  :P  With Photography, all you need is a few levels and you can capture the generations for posterity...better than you ever could with a portrait.  Drop the photos into a digital picture frame, and you've got the perfect family keepsake.

The Martial Arts and Nectar Making skills are also worth the effort, as these can both be collection and financial work-horses.  And since I love the Gardening skill probably the most out of all of the skills, the plants that come with it are absolutely wonderful!
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Online Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 12:47:33 AM »
However, sims that have been recently bitten will not be able to travel until after they have turned.

Sorry, that's what I meant.

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 11:48:21 AM »
Just to add my vote here. I find WA the best EP so far. It brings far more than other did (at least for me). 3 worlds and completely different cultures, tons of new collectables, fruits, whole new aspect in game - adventuring/tomb raiding, it brings 3 great new skills, and broad other (gardening, fishing, cooking, handiness..) yeah it really is great. Only bad thing with it are bugs, and those are game breaking bugs if you don't have different saves. But still, I love traveling, with a single Sim, group of friends or small family, or large 8 Sim household. It is certainly worth buying.

Offline cathyknits

• Immortal
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 02:51:24 PM »
Only bad thing with it are bugs, and those are game breaking bugs if you don't have different saves.

The reported bugs are what's holding me back from buying this EP. Are the game-breaking bugs (I know about family trees getting scrambled and people getting left behind when the trip is over) really common, or is it just that these things come up once in a blue moon, but with as many people as we have here, the moon is blue on a regular basis?
Immortal Dynasty: A Bouquet of Blossoms

Offline Anushka

• Watcher
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 03:16:46 PM »
No guarantee about frequency. I never had a bug with missing Sim (world is loaded without Sim you sent on vacation), or cloned Sim, or mystery child etc. But I did have a bug when Sim couldn't return to home town no matter what (all in dynasty, very large file that was already acting funny). And recently, I had bug with adventure board when no adventure would pop up, and it seem to follow me in other saved files (so far in 3 files some adventure boards just don't work). None can excavate around world, only on lots, etc, those are minor problems even if annoying.
I experience those game breaking bugs when game already start acting funny (things stuck in hands, they acted like they're holding a toddler all the time, no map tags etc.) but other reported differently. If you can't enjoy game that is not functioning properly, don't buy it (my husband is like that, if it doesn't work as it should, he won't play it but I do play it despite these problems, so I get it eather way).

Online Seabody

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 05:49:24 PM »
Are the game-breaking bugs (I know about family trees getting scrambled and people getting left behind when the trip is over) really common, or is it just that these things come up once in a blue moon

I've owned the game for quite a while (since around when it came out), and I have travelled a lot, and I've only had two bugs I can remember. They were
where you arrive in a destination, but all your sims are invisible and you can't select them
and one which is super-freakishly weird, but my whole save game got corrupted, and the game thought Egypt was my hometown. I fixed it by restoring from a previous save. Which I was happy about, because I didn't want this sim to go Elder, which he was. ;)

Offline Esther1981

• Cornelia Goth Enthusiast
  • Watcher
  • Cornelia is so awesome!!
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 05:57:58 PM »
I've had it since it first came out. I agree it's worth it for all the added things. I love martial arts and nectar making. Photography is also awesome as you can have one sim do it to get to level 10, put the most expensive options on it and then any sim that uses that camera will get skill faster. If you travel though, it resets each time so make sure to have a level 10 photographer reset the options everytime. The bug that breaks the family tree is a real bummer though, but if you don't mind cheating, you can get everything but the recipes, all the skill books and the fishing books in buydebug. You can get some of the skill books at the consignment store but not all of them. With buydebug I don't have to risk my family tree and can still get the added items which is awesome for me!