Author Topic: Is Barnicle Bay in the present or past, like sunset valley and riverview?  (Read 5092 times)

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
Dina and Nina along with Don Lorthino appear as their present selves. Is Barnacle Bay suppose to be a sequel town? As appose to Sunset Valley, where Dina's husband Mort and Bella are children, and Riverview, where Skip is a child?

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
How do you define Present? Barnacle Bay has the Sims 3 Versions of the Calientine Sisters as we know them from Sims 2, however there was a lot of mystery around them, a lot of people thought they got in with some Aliens. Riverview has Don Lothario from Sims 2 but then it has the Newbies, who are younger. Bob Newbie is a Teenager in Sims 3 Riverview. Skip is also a child there. Sunset Valley is definitely in the past but the other two towns you mentioned are not in any really. Twinbrook is supposed to be Strangetown and Bridgeport is probably the Downtown Area's from the Sims 1 and 2 Hotdate and Nightlife.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
The present/future=a continuation of Pleasentview.

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
Don Lothario settled in Riverview by accident, while using a teleporting machine, according to his bio. Since the Caliente sisters are just a bit younger in Sims 3 than in Sims 2, it means that they either time traveled or Barnacle Bay is set in time near Sims 2 events happened. After all, not all Sims 3 towns are set in the same time span (50 years before Sims 2). Sunset Valley is, and Riverview too, but the Curious family in Twinbrook makes us think that it is set nearly 75-80 years before Sims 2. Barnacle Bay is probably not far away from Sims 2, most likely 5 to 10 years.d
Another opinion is that EA just made a good financial move and added the sisters to Sims 3 to attract Sims 2 players. That'd make people want to buy Barnacle Bay, which would support it's sales, therefore EA would get even more profit.
And in their bio it says 'The Sims 2 sisters are back!'. It's not an appropriate line in a character's or family's bio, unless they wanted to attract more players. Just a financial trick. Simple.
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Offline KrispyNickyB

• Immortal
  • The round peg in a square hole.
    • Subscribe to me on Youtube!
There's the basic story that Samoht pointed out. Actually though you can make the town be whatever you want. I usually think of it in a way that makes sense with the story in my head

Offline samoht04

• Building Contest Coordinator
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
I think Sunset Valley was supposed to be a past Pleasantview, or the Town that came before it. I guess that Barnacle Bay and Riverview could be set after Sunset Valley but before Pleasantview.

*As Chronic said who posted while I was typing.
Please read the Forum Rules![/center]

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
I think Sunset Valley was supposed to be a past Pleasantview, or the Town that came before it. I guess that Barnacle Bay and Riverview could be set after Sunset Valley but before Pleasantview.

*As Chronic said who posted while I was typing.

Sunset Valley is indeed a past Pleasantview, set 50 years before it. Riverview is set in the same time span (the Broke family, Skip is child). Twinbrook is more like a past Strangetown, but is set before it for more than SV is set before Pleasantview. Probably 75 to 80 years. Barnacle Bay is a separate town not featured in Sims 2, but is set before it as well. Though, for not more than (maximum) 30 years, since Dina and Nina would be elders if it was more than 40 years. Pretty much every town in both games has it's own story and characters. Sure, we can connect some of them, but not all. EA is not perfect, too. Remember how they accidentally deleted Bella Goth from Sims 2 and made up a story around it?
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it. - Lady GaGa

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
Well, Sims 2 did not have the "young adult" stage. Just Adult, unless you had UNIVERSITY. So that's why the sisters were young adults. But I do see what you are saying.

I guess every town is different set. I see where this is going now.

Offline Hosfac

• Sleeper Agent
  • Watcher
  • Han Solo shot first.
I try not to think about it too much, because it makes my brain hurt.  :P

I don't really recall reading anywhere that the game designers had any real intent of making the games a "time line."  From what I have seen, this was done more through player speculation than anything else. 

In reality, the different Sims series are frozen in time:

Sims 1 was quite literally frozen.  Adults didn't age, and once a baby became a child, they didn't age either.  With Makin' Magic, you could age children to adulthood, but this wasn't actual aging, and there was no way to age them up any further.

Sims 2 and Sims 3 has the illusion of the passage of time.  Sims get older and eventually die of "old age," but the town itself never changes and technology doesn't advance.  And no matter how long you play, Sims 3 will never catch up with Sims 1.
Old forum mods never die.  We just get archived.

Interview With a Night Walker - The Veronika Beltane Story continues.

Offline pallyndrome

• Watcher
  • The Goanna
    • Hannah Goanna
Sunset Valley is indeed a past Pleasantview, set 50 years before it. Riverview is set in the same time span (the Broke family, Skip is child). Twinbrook is more like a past Strangetown, but is set before it for more than SV is set before Pleasantview. Probably 75 to 80 years. Barnacle Bay is a separate town not featured in Sims 2, but is set before it as well. Though, for not more than (maximum) 30 years, since Dina and Nina would be elders if it was more than 40 years. Pretty much every town in both games has it's own story and characters. Sure, we can connect some of them, but not all. EA is not perfect, too. Remember how they accidentally deleted Bella Goth from Sims 2 and made up a story around it?

Bella Goth being gone was an accident?! I had no idea. Was putting a memory-less copy of her in Strangetown an accident too?

Offline TheChronicR

• Watcher
@Pally

According to many interviews around the subject and the information revealed, while creating Sims 2, the developers accidentally deleted Bella Goth's file from the game, and it was too late to recreate her. As we know, there's no undo in moveobjects, and no way to get the right Sim back. They decided to make up a story around this, and added the later recreated Bella to Strangetown, as if she was abducted by aliens.

Offline Ausette

• Watcher
Going by the different families (the Goths, Bachelors, Newbies, Calientes and Curiouses in particular), you can pretty much figure it out. Take Mortimer Goth for example: He's a child in Sims 3, an adult in Sims 1 and an Elder in Sims 2. Bridgeport doesn't seem to have any families common to the other games, so really it could be anything. I'd lean towards pretty modern though considering the atmosphere of the Expansion.

Like Chronic said, a lot of towns follow naturally on from each other (eg. Sunset Valley to Pleasantview), but I really can't put my finger on Barnacle Bay. If anything, it seems to be set a few years after Sims 2, judging by the Caliente sisters. The Gilsbaro family could also be related to Goopy Gisbaro from Sims 2, especially since the little girl's father is missing and her Bio says she likes cowboy things and plaid (both of which Goopy famously wore). Of course this is all speculation, and I think Chronic had a point about the financial aspect.

bshag

After much discussion, I think EA just took characters out of sims 2 and plopped them down in different towns in sims 3.  Everyone who played sims 2 are familiar and comfortable with these sims and it is definitely a draw.  When the sims 3 first was announced everyone had analyzed the chronological order of Langernaks and Goths and who was older/younger than who. :P  I tried figuring it out and like Hosfac, I think I hurt myself. :D

Offline jeanamariex3

• Crazy Cat Lady
  • Watcher
    • Jeana's Blog!
Michael was a teen, while his wife was a young adult in Barnacle Bay. That's why I had to post this topic. Because the Barnacle Bay matter confused me. Bella and her husband Mort were children, along with Kaylynn (the maid), and perhaps we figure out the origin of Claire the Bear. (I am positive that Claire Ursine is Claire the Bear). Skip Broke too was also a child, living with his cousin Susie. However, I am about to post a new thread on a confusing manner with Skip Broke's uncle.

anything