Author Topic: Which Expansion should I get?  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Castaras

• Stark Raving Bonkers
  • Townie
  • mew mew
Which Expansion should I get?
« on: January 26, 2011, 03:32:03 PM »
(Wasn't sure which section this went in, considering it's about expansions, but all of them, and there's only separate expansion forums that I can see)

I currently have just base game sims 3, and with my last january exam being tomorrow, I feel I am allowed to treat myself to one of the expansions.

But, I'm not sure which one adds the most to the game. As far as I can tell:

- Ambitions adds lots of jobs
- World Adventures adds new skills and holidays
- Late Night adds skills, jobs, celebrities, and vampires

Gamewise, I like seeing massive dynasties and generations of people come and go in a family. I'm just not sure which of the expansions would be best for both Adding to the game, and being good as a standalone expansion.

So which one should I go for, and why?

Thanks. ^^

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Which Expansion should I get?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 04:25:02 PM »
If you have hopes of completing the Immortal Dynasty Challenge and want to add photographs and ice sculptures to the museum, then Ambitions is a must. You could get away with not buying World Adventures in hopes of obtaining a camera at the consignment store. The fact that all of the self-employed professions become career options is golden for the Dynasty as well. If I could only afford one expansion, Ambitions IMO is the best one.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ratchie

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 05:11:42 PM »
I agree I get more out of Ambitions then I do any of the other expansions. Put it this way I could easily live without late night and world adventure but my game play would significantly change if someone took ambitions away.

Rachel
Please follow the forum rules.

Offline Figwit

• Immortal
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 05:19:01 PM »
Well I have only just started playing dynasties so I can't advise there.  However, World Adventures is my absolute favourite.  The nectar making, the basements, the tomb explorations and the martial arts all definitely appealed to me and I certainly got my money's worth.  Ambitions too, is very good so it would be my second choice.  I am not so thrilled with Late Night but then I don't like the city life and could happily live without vampires and the celebrities.

Good luck with whatever you choose and with your last exam. :D

Offline Gheez

• ( 'guh ease' )
  • Immortal
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 06:13:01 PM »
Good luck with your final exam.

I'd also recommend Ambitions. 

Apart from the new professions, the new town, with a good graphics card, looks lovely with its atmospheric fogs and bogs.  I've also seen, though I may be mistaken, less problems posted about Ambitions than about World Adventures and Late Night.

May I recommend shopping around and possibly buying on-line through the Amazon link on Carl's Sims 3 Guide rather than buying in your local highstreet?  You may find that you can afford two expansions, by doing this, rather than the one.  (When I last looked, on UK Amazon, I could get both Ambitions and WA for the price of Late Night - though that was a while ago.)

Whatever you choose, have fun.

Offline Castaras

• Stark Raving Bonkers
  • Townie
  • mew mew
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 06:55:40 PM »
May I recommend shopping around and possibly buying on-line through the Amazon link on Carl's Sims 3 Guide rather than buying in your local highstreet?  You may find that you can afford two expansions, by doing this, rather than the one.  (When I last looked, on UK Amazon, I could get both Ambitions and WA for the price of Late Night - though that was a while ago.)

Yeah, I was gonna go through Amazon. Easier than going to town.

Ambitions seems to be the consensus then... thanks very much! ^^