Author Topic: Spoils of Handiness  (Read 3550 times)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Spoils of Handiness
« on: July 29, 2024, 06:08:19 AM »
Spoils of Handiness

24 Tasks for 2024 showed your Sims what and how to upgrade, but they didn't really get to enjoy the fruits of their labors. It's time for another handiness-focused challenge - and this one is all about the moodlets your Sim earns with their handiness skill!

Challenge Rules
  • Remember, the General Rules apply to all Tournament challenges. Exceptions may be noted below.
  • Create 1 Young Adult Sim.
  • Move your Sim to any furnished house/apartment/dwelling you choose. No moving onto a plot of land with nothing built on it.
  • No additions are allowed to your household.
  • Clubs are banned.
  • The Wishing Well and Celestial Crystal Crown are banned.
  • Changing lot traits and types is banned.
  • If your sim dies before the end of the challenge you may post the score you had at time of death.
  • Pause your game on Sunday, Week 2, Day 1, at 8:00 AM.

Scoring

Unique Moodlets - For every unique moodlet your Sim earns interacting with something they've upgraded with their handiness skill, add 100 points to your score. Write down the moodlets and where they came from as your Sim experiences them. Some examples: The bidet upgrade from the toilet grants a moodlet, as do the mattress firmness (bed) and auto soap dispenser (sink) upgrades.

Ch-Ch-Changes
The team does not want to edit and change the ruleset once this event goes live, but we may have to. If an exploit is brought to our attention or we discover something else, we may ask affected players to redo their efforts.

Have Questions?
If you have questions and need clarifications, ask away — you can either post your questions in this thread, or if you feel a question might reveal a particular strategy you are considering, then feel free to PM the team. Choose the My Messages tab > Send Message > Send to Group (show membergroups) > Check the Challenge Board Moderator group.

And the Winner is...
After this event has closed, everyone is encouraged to discuss how they approached it. The winner is expected to provide detailed information on their strategy. Keep notes as you play your file.

This Event is Now Closed

Player                            Unique Moodlets   
Elinoee1700
Nutella1600
LenaLJ1500
Rebelangel1200
sone1200
CynKuy1000
techiechick900
Metropolis Man900
junegem800
kinseyam700
Deklitch400
Eighty8Keys400

Offline Elinoee

• Townie
Re: Spoils of Handiness
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2024, 04:04:12 PM »
Hello!

that's really an original challenge,searching for moodlets  :)
I'm wondering if the moodlet that comes while interacting with the upgraded item does have to be directly related to the upgrade,or not.
I guess that some moodlets may come while interacting with an item regardless of an upgrade.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Tribble is as Tribble does
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2024, 11:37:30 PM »
Because those three examples you gave all give the same moodlet, (happy) do you only get 100 points total, or because they are three different upgrades, do you get 300 for them?

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2024, 07:49:19 AM »
Because those three examples you gave all give the same moodlet, (happy) do you only get 100 points total, or because they are three different upgrades, do you get 300 for them?

You're only scored on unique moodlets, regardless of whether different upgrades trigger them. So, in the example, you would receive 100 points for a happy moodlet.

Offline Elinoee

• Townie
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2024, 08:35:57 AM »

You're only scored on unique moodlets, regardless of whether different upgrades trigger them. So, in the example, you would receive 100 points for a happy moodlet.

OK! I thought that moodlets were considered different if the text when you hover over it was different. So it is just the emotion that matters? So the maximum number of moodlets we could count is the number of basic emotions in game?

Offline Nutella

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2024, 09:13:13 AM »
Example:
Bidet upgrade -- Gives "Bidet Made" moodlet, effect is +1 happy
Firm Mattress upgrade -- Gives "Perfect firmness" moodlet, effect is +1 happy
Auto Soap Dispenser upgrade -- Gives "Fancy Soap" moodlet, effect is +1 happy

I think you all confused moodlet with effects.  From the 3 examples above, I feel like I should be getting 300 points instead of 100 points because while all have the same effect (+1 happy), the moodlets are different.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2024, 09:28:52 AM »
Example:

I think you all confused moodlet with effects.  From the 3 examples above, I feel like I should be getting 300 points instead of 100 points because while all have the same effect (+1 happy), the moodlets are different.

@Nutella - thank you for clarifying. You are correct. If the moodlets have different wording, then one can absolutely score each one.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Elinoee

• Townie
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2024, 10:23:35 AM »
Example:

Thanks, @Nutella , that's what I understood but I was confused after reading @Metropolis Man 's answer to @Deklitch  ;)
Then (sorry to insist  ;D), does the moodlet have to be clearly related to the item's upgrade (and then impossible to get without this upgrade), or do other moodlets related to the item and not specifically to an upgrade count?

Offline sone

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Occult
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2024, 11:23:45 AM »
Example:

Thanks, @Nutella , that's what I understood but I was confused after reading @Metropolis Man 's answer to @Deklitch  ;)
Then (sorry to insist  ;D), does the moodlet have to be clearly related to the item's upgrade (and then impossible to get without this upgrade), or do other moodlets related to the item and not specifically to an upgrade count?

Yes, they need to be related to the object having been upgraded with the hardiness skill. I will reword things.

Online Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2024, 06:13:22 PM »
Thank you all for clarifying, never knew moodlets and effects were different things. LOL

Online Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2024, 10:19:50 PM »
For the Spoils of Handiness is Fire ... which Scott Montgommery discovered whilst learning that he kinnae change the laws of physics (or a Sims 4 game played by me can't get through without a cooking fire (unless the challenge requires cooking fires, of course)) However, he had gained 4 unique moodlets from items he upgraded, so that's 400 ... unless his tense moodlet from the burning oven counts, in which case it is 5 moodlets for 500 points - nah, didn't think so. 4 unique moodlets and 400 points. ... and yes, it is 12:13pm on 5th August here.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Spoils of Handiness <<Live event -- Jump in!>>
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2024, 02:35:03 PM »
@Deklitch—on the one hand, you have to admit...it's kind of funny. On the other hand, I feel bad. Every time this happens to you, I think, okay, this has to be a joke. How is this even possible?

Online Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2024, 01:09:15 AM »
@Deklitch—on the one hand, you have to admit...it's kind of funny. On the other hand, I feel bad. Every time this happens to you, I think, okay, this has to be a joke. How is this even possible?

Oh yes, I too find it funny, in a kind of 'this cannot be happening to me again' kind of way. The thing is ... he had cooked earlier this week on the stove (grilled cheese), he also did some non-stove related cooking (garden salad) and had his cooking to level either 5 or 6 before he tried to cook again towards the end of the week and yes, that fire happened. If I recall, it was a low level meal he tried to cook as well.

I thought I'd best post a shot of the fire to show that, yeah, it was happening and yeah it was a stove. :)

The fire that happened during another event happened when a high level cook gave up on cooking something, and I sent a low level cook to finish it off, thinking I was sending the high level cook.

Of course, that event that required us to have cooking fires was one in which I almost found it impossible to have a cooking fire. :)

This (my ability for my sims in Sims 4 to start cooking fires) is almost at the skill levels I had in the late 1990's/early 2000's when it came to me and Apple MACs, back when it was impossible to crash them. I proved them wrong on that count - I think my record was three or four in the space of one afternoon ... IT gurus were all curious to know how I managed to do it ... but not curious enough to let me demonstrate on their Apple MACs. In my undergraduate degree days, we had to use some software that was only available on MACs back then ... and the uni only had a handful of them ... after the first disastrous attempt I had using it (in which the computer in the tutorial room stopped working as soon as I tried to use it, I was asked in future to wait until any other students who needed to use it to go before me, which I was happy to do, because why should others suffer due to that?

In both the starting of cooking fires in Sims 4 and my crashing of Apple MACs, its been a complete mystery how each was done. As Adrian Monk would say It is a blessing ... and a curse. :F

Offline CynKuy

• Occult
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2024, 12:23:42 PM »
My Sim got 1000 points from his handiness upgrades.
Cynthia

Offline Eighty8Keys

• Townie
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2024, 05:57:46 PM »
My Sim ended up with 400 points.

anything