Author Topic: 2024 Pam Marsden Memorial Baby Boomer Challenge  (Read 2095 times)

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
2024 Pam Marsden Memorial Baby Boomer Challenge
« on: April 29, 2024, 07:06:33 AM »
2024 Pam Marsden Memorial Baby Boomer Challenge

With Mother's Day fast approaching, you know what that means...it's time again for the annual forum favorite -- the Baby Boomer Challenge. So, do forum co-founder Pam proud and have as many children as you can. This challenge also has twice the weight of a regular season event, so players can earn far more simoleans.

Challenge Rules
  • Create 2 Young Adult married Sims — Human, Alien, or Mermaid. No changing life states.
  • One parent must stay home while the other earns the money. The money earner must immediately pursue a job — freelance or standard rabbit-hole careers are fine. Changing careers is also acceptable, but the career parent must always be working.
  • The stay-at-home parent must choose a family aspiration (no changing to a non-family aspiration later) and get the family-oriented trait, and they cannot pursue a career, although any way they can help make money is allowed.
  • For every natural-born baby, you can adopt or make a science baby.
  • Clubs are banned.
  • Changing lot traits and lot types is banned.
  • Custom-made holidays are banned.
  • The Wishing Well and Celestial Crystal Crown are banned.
  • When children reach Young Adults they are to be removed immediately: 1) Have them use their phone...Travel > Split from Household to Move > Click Cancel Moving after you're at the World Screen.
  • Offspring may be aged up early (see qualifications below), but no Sims can have their life extended.
  • You are allowed to use the Buydebug cheat to purchase a satellite to prevent abductions.
  • This challenge concludes on Week 4, Day 1, 8 a.m.

Aging Up Kids
A Baby may only be aged up early if both parents are Good Friends with the baby.
An Infant may only be aged up early if three different Infant caregiving activities have been performed.
You may only age up a Toddler early if they have lvl 2 in all skills.
You may only age up a Child early if they have finished an Aspiration and have a B school average.
You may only age up a Teen early if they have a B school average and a unique BFF.

Scoring

Young Adults (moved out + Time)—At Week 4, Day 1, 8 a.m., go to the Simology tab of one of your parents and view the Genealogy button at the top. Count all children under your parents and then award yourself 1600 points for each Young Adult who moved out.

(Time) — In the event of ties, please also include the minutes it took to remove your first Young Adult offspring from the household using Lena's Spreadsheet.

Remaining Children — For all remaining children in the household, award yourself the following:

Baby: 100 points
Infant: 200 points
Toddler: 300 points
Child: 400 points
Teen: 800 Points

Total — Add your score from Young Adults who moved out and Remaining Children together for your Total.

Ch-Ch-Changes
The team does not want to edit and make changes to the ruleset once this event goes live, but we may have to. If an exploit is brought to our attention or we discover something else we may ask affected players to redo their effort.

Have Questions?
If you have questions and need clarifications, ask away — you can either post your questions in this thread, or if you feel a question might reveal a particular strategy you are considering, then feel free to PM the team. Choose the My Messages tab > Send Message > Send to Group (show membergroups) > Check the Challenge Board Moderator group.

And the Winner is...
After this event has closed everyone is encouraged to discuss how they approached the event. The winner is expected to provide detailed information on their strategy. Keep notes as you play your file.

This Event is Now Closed

Player                            Young Adults (moved out + Time)     Remaining Children     Total
Rebelangel25600 (13485)160027200
LenaLJ22400 (11971)160024000
sone20800 (13485)320024000
Elinoee19200 (13470)160020800
Nandarelle17600 (12000)80018400
Metropolis Man12800 (13515)120014000
kinseyam9600 (16284)390013500
Eighty8Keys11200 (16355)160012800
mismck8000 12009200
Deklitch4800 (16422)16006600

Offline Rebelangel

• Llama Wrangler
Re: 2024 Pam Marsden Memorial Baby Boomer Challenge <Starts Soon>
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2024, 11:18:52 AM »
Throwing this out there for the Challenge Team. Would you consider adjusting the rules so that somebody who doesn't have the Generations EP can participate? The only change would have to be for the aging up criteria for infants. Potentially, the criteria could be something like, must complete 3 caregiving activities (infant takes a bubble bath, infant discovers a food they like on high chair, etc., etc.,) which would be functionally similar to achieving 2 milestones.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 11:46:08 AM »
Throwing this out there for the Challenge Team. Would you consider adjusting the rules so that somebody who doesn't have the Generations EP can participate? The only change would have to be for the aging up criteria for infants. Potentially, the criteria could be something like, must complete 3 caregiving activities (infant takes a bubble bath, infant discovers a food they like on high chair, etc., etc.,) which would be functionally similar to achieving 2 milestones.

That should be fine. I will pull the team's chain and get their feedback.

-----------------

Edit: Okay, the team gave a thumbs up to the idea from @Rebelangel. The new requirement for Infants reads...

An Infant may only be aged up early if three different Infant caregiving activities have been performed.

Offline Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Tribble is as Tribble does
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 06:02:49 PM »
To my mind, this

Count all children under your parents and then award yourself 1600 points for all Young Adults who moved out.

Reads that if you move out 1 Young Adult, you get 1600 points; if you move out 10 Young Adults, you get 1600 points. Is that the correct way of interpreting the scoring?

Or is it 1600 points for each Young Adult moved out? So in that case 1600 for one young adult moved out, and 16000 for 10 young adults moved out.

Thank you

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2024, 06:56:57 PM »
To my mind, this

Count all children under your parents and then award yourself 1600 points for all Young Adults who moved out.

Reads that if you move out 1 Young Adult, you get 1600 points; if you move out 10 Young Adults, you get 1600 points. Is that the correct way of interpreting the scoring?

Or is it 1600 points for each Young Adult moved out? So in that case 1600 for one young adult moved out, and 16000 for 10 young adults moved out.

Thank you

It's 1600 points for each YA who moved out, so for 10 YAs who moved out, it's 16,000 points. The wording is clear to me, but, if you or someone else can think of better wording, let me know.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2024, 05:16:39 PM »
I edited the following rule from just lot traits to...

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2024, 02:27:21 AM »

I'm reading this as "not changing lot traits/types from the default ones given at new game set-up" rather than "set at first build and then no changes"
Is that right?

I've never done a baby-boomer challenge and am hoping to jump in  :o

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2024, 06:18:00 AM »

I'm reading this as "not changing lot traits/types from the default ones given at new game set-up" rather than "set at first build and then no changes"
Is that right?

I've never done a baby-boomer challenge and am hoping to jump in  :o

Correct. No changing means no changing. ;) If you were allowed to change when you first moved in, the wording would reflect that. Good luck!

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2024, 11:24:03 AM »
This major event of the season (worth 2X points) starts Monday morning, so please review the rules one more time before beginning. Good luck, everyone!

Offline math_chick

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2024, 07:24:07 PM »
Can I get clarification on what this means?

"An Infant may only be aged up early if three different Infant caregiving activities have been performed."

What are examples of three different Infant caregiving activities? And does each parent need to perform them with the infant or just one adult?

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2024, 08:10:31 PM »
Can I get clarification on what this means?

"An Infant may only be aged up early if three different Infant caregiving activities have been performed."

What are examples of three different Infant caregiving activities? And does each parent need to perform them with the infant or just one adult?

Any Infant interaction is fine -- feeding, hygiene, play, and love. There are many, so there is no need to list them all. It does not matter which parent does the interactions.

Offline Rebelangel

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2024, 08:10:44 AM »
Thanks for modifying the rules and clarifying the infant interactions. Lol, I know I'm the one who proposed it, but I also needed clarification on that ;D

Offline Eighty8Keys

• Townie
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2024, 04:17:18 PM »
For the natural born children, do you need to wait for them to be born, or is a confirmed pregnancy enough to allow you to adopt or make a science baby?

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2024, 04:57:08 PM »
For the natural born children, do you need to wait for them to be born, or is a confirmed pregnancy enough to allow you to adopt or make a science baby?

I feel you need to wait until a natural child is born. If that were not the case, you would have adopted kids and science babies in the house before natural ones, given the natural pregnancy length. Team -- what do you think?

Online LenaLJ

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2024, 06:01:41 AM »

I feel you need to wait until a natural child is born. If that were not the case, you would have adopted kids and science babies in the house before natural ones, given the natural pregnancy length. Team -- what do you think?

I agree with you Tom, you cant adopt or make science babies untill the natural child is born.