Author Topic: Makey MishMash Legacy 4.5: Somebody To Love (2-Jul)  (Read 5846 times)

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
Re: Makey MishMash Legacy 1.3: Staying Alive (4-May)
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2024, 10:38:48 AM »
With a counter for her sink, and another coming for food prep, along with a lot for selling, I feel like Dawn has turned a corner and it will keep getting better from here.
It's refreshing to have her not immediately focused on finding a partner - usually that's the first thing a founder does, but it really doesn't have to be rushed like that, and it's to see a young woman focused first on more than finding a man.
That more woodworking mod is awesome! My Gen 2 heir, Rose, used it as she could only sell items made on the woodworking bench. She didn't use it to it's fullest potential because those weren't the priciest items she could sell, but LittleMsSam did a great job of incorporating other items for Sims to make.
Congrats, Dawn, on winning the Hackathon!
Hopefully, your days of extreme hunger and dumpster filth will soon be behind you.

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2024, 11:46:36 AM »
With a counter for her sink, and another coming for food prep, along with a lot for selling, I feel like Dawn has turned a corner and it will keep getting better from here.
It's refreshing to have her not immediately focused on finding a partner - usually that's the first thing a founder does, but it really doesn't have to be rushed like that, and it's to see a young woman focused first on more than finding a man.
That more woodworking mod is awesome! My Gen 2 heir, Rose, used it as she could only sell items made on the woodworking bench. She didn't use it to it's fullest potential because those weren't the priciest items she could sell, but LittleMsSam did a great job of incorporating other items for Sims to make.
Congrats, Dawn, on winning the Hackathon!
Hopefully, your days of extreme hunger and dumpster filth will soon be behind you.
Dawn has been too busy (& smelly?) to look for that special someone. Dropping out of High School meant that she didn't meet any teens there - she was too tired the day she did go in. The owner at ThrifTea didn't look very thrilled to have a whiffy Dawn rummaging through her stock so - no meeting Teens there either.

Becoming a Young Adult has opened up a wealth of opportunities and I might just have been scouring the Gallery on her behalf. ;)

I like playing with Lifestyles on - call me a glutton for punishment. Dawn was bound to get the Single n Loving It Lifestyle so I foresee some difficult discussions ahead! But it would be odd to swing from no romance to full-on passion without some readjustment.

Now, if she can just find that fridge. There's no moving in any theoretical love interest until she does!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2024, 01:39:30 PM »
How rough for Dawn without both a fridge and a sink! Renato could at least grab the occasional quick meal.
Great minds think alike! Renato also admitted defeat and crafted two counters using the More Woodworks mod.
And yes, don't you just love the More Woodworks mod?

Hehe, Watcher has such a soft spot for Faiz Jaleel. I agree that he's an attractive sim!
I thought you might like to know that, in my simverse, Emilia Ernst left Darrel to marry/move in with Morgan Ember.
About finding a Green Fiend spouse, that's how I found Phoebe on the Gallery. I did a hashtag search for #greenfiend and several dozen sims showed up.
Looking forward to seeing who you find!

Oh, your garden is quite substantial! Renato has yet to find the minimum required plants he needs for cooking, though Patchy has been quite helpful.
School and schoolwork had cut down on the time Renato could spend looking for new harvestables.  Priorities!

Wishing Dawn the best of luck in finding a fridge, a sink, and a suitable romantic interest!
Next week, for sure!

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2024, 01:51:46 PM »
How rough for Dawn without both a fridge and a sink! Renato could at least grab the occasional quick meal.
Great minds think alike! Renato also admitted defeat and crafted two counters using the More Woodworks mod.
And yes, don't you just love the More Woodworks mod?

Hehe, Watcher has such a soft spot for Faiz Jaleel. I agree that he's an attractive sim!
I thought you might like to know that, in my simverse, Emilia Ernst left Darrel to marry/move in with Morgan Ember.
About finding a Green Fiend spouse, that's how I found Phoebe on the Gallery. I did a hashtag search for #greenfiend and several dozen sims showed up.
Looking forward to seeing who you find!

Oh, your garden is quite substantial! Renato has yet to find the minimum required plants he needs for cooking, though Patchy has been quite helpful.
School and schoolwork had cut down on the time Renato could spend looking for new harvestables.  Priorities!

Wishing Dawn the best of luck in finding a fridge, a sink, and a suitable romantic interest!
Next week, for sure!
Dawn's got one sink - the inset one that got put in her first counter. But we need 2, right? One for the bathroom and one for the kitchen. I'd like her to find one but she can make one with the more-woodwork mod now she's upped her Handiness - phew!

Faiz is dreamy but his main added skill would be flower-arranging and I don't really want to go that route in this gen. Plus he's older than Dawn by 3 weeks...

Dawn planted loads of strawberries and snapdragons to work up her Freelance Botanist points but now she's not sure what to do with them. You can't sell a bush in a store... and I can't bring myself to uproot them. She's found quite a few plants in the Dumpsters, especially if you search for Ingredients rather than Deals or Meals. But she'll be only searching for Deals until she gets that fridge!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2024, 02:20:41 PM »
Dawn's got one sink - the inset one that got put in her first counter. But we need 2, right? One for the bathroom and one for the kitchen. I'd like her to find one but she can make one with the more-woodwork mod now she's upped her Handiness - phew!

Faiz is dreamy but his main added skill would be flower-arranging and I don't really want to go that route in this gen. Plus he's older than Dawn by 3 weeks...

Dawn planted loads of strawberries and snapdragons to work up her Freelance Botanist points but now she's not sure what to do with them. You can't sell a bush in a store... and I can't bring myself to uproot them. She's found quite a few plants in the Dumpsters, especially if you search for Ingredients rather than Deals or Meals. But she'll be only searching for Deals until she gets that fridge!
Renato's been grafting my snapdragons with strawberries (dragonfruit) and with lilies (orchids).
But with school and dumpsters, he's not home that much to look after the garden plus he's only done Dive for Ingredients once.
That's probably why Dawn's found fewer appliances than Renato?  But it's also very heavily RNG-reliant.

I checked the forum's post where a simmer tested Dumpster Diving for a week with needs disabled.
That simmer found five counters. FIVE!!! Lol

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Makey MishMash Legacy 1.4: I Could Have Danced All Night
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2024, 12:20:02 PM »
Makey MishMash Legacy 1.4: I Could Have Danced All Night

Previously: Dawn ate more yucky Dumpster Delights; won a top-range computer at GeekCon; discovered that the returns on Woodworking were worth the cost; became a Llamacorn Scout; celebrated a lonely birthday and made a counter top.
Residence: Canal Corner, Conifer Station, Evergreen Harbour

Dawn: Just because my name is Dawn, doesn’t mean you have to get me up at the crack of dawn. I was enjoying my lovely single bed.
Watcher: You know we discussed this. I’ve got a list of things for you to do, to make sure we do them in the right order.
Dawn: OK, OK. Right – first I vote to change Conifer Station’s Market Square to a Market Garden – that’s confusing!
Watcher: Official terms – you’re changing the Market Space in Conifer Station to be a Garden Space.

1.4.1.jpg

Dawn: And now I’ve moved to Grims Quarry…
Watcher: Your Lot of arrival, if you will.
Dawn:…and I voted for the Clean Air NAP.
Watcher: That should help the residents make an effort to be more Green.
Dawn: I’ve heard there’s some new residents in the apartments, here and in Conifer Station.
Watcher (innocently): Oh? I wonder what they’re like.
Dawn: Before I left Grims Quarry for my final destination on Sunday, I visited the Community Maker Space where I spend a lot of time. Did you know that, before they renovated this space, it had an Green eco value. Afterwards, it changed to Neutral. That’s not right. Anyway, as a temporary resident, I feel the need to add some more solar panels, a couple of solar water heaters and a line of wind turbines on the roof. I also double-checked that only eco +ve décor had been used.

1.4.4.jpg

Dawn: Watcher! What have you brought me too?
Watcher: Welcome to Port Promise, your new home. I cleared the industrial grade containers away. It’s already for you to build your dream home.
Dawn: What exactly is the Port Promise? That I’ll get emphysema?
Watcher: Just make sure to vote in the Green Initiative. It’ll be better before you know it.

1.4.5.jpg

Watcher: Here’s your house, Dawn. It’s not obvious, but it’s two regenerated containers, coated in eco-friendly cladding.
Dawn: You mean I’ve got wall and floor coverings? Wow.
Watcher: Yeah – actually I forgot that the solar panel and wind turbine don’t go into the inventory. So there’s no cash left to buy more. Still, you don’t really need to power anything at the moment

1.4.12.jpg

Dawn: I know this cooker isn’t Off-Grid but I can’t cook anything yet. I gave it an energy-saving upgrade so that it’ll use less power anyway.

1.4.13.jpg

Dawn: I got back from making $814 at the Flea Market and Tina gave me a gift – a plumbing upgrade! She also said she was considering a change of career. She’s gone into Sports! Wow!
Knox also came by to tell me again about voting Green. I assured him that I already had and, since we’ve become BFFs, I asked him why he hadn’t already got the eco NAPs in this, his own neighbourhood. He claims that the powers that be have interrupted everyone’s civil right to vote.
Watcher (whistling)

1.4.15b.jpg

Dawn: Monday morning and my first chance for Dumpster Diving in my new neighbourhood. I was desperate to find a fridge this week. Look at all that rubbish. I really hope my vote makes a difference.

1.4.16.jpg

Dawn: I opened my open-air store. I know it looks dodgy but it’s all genuine stuff. I got my First Simoleon certificate. I’ll keep it, not sell it, to remind me where I started.
Running my store is a great way to meet people. I would have met Sidney and Ash at High School if I’d ever really been. That’s Baako’s wife, Anaya. It was kind of him to get her to come and support me. The red head? Oh, erm, that’s Michael Marlowe. He’s just moved in to the apartments in Grims Quarry. We had a good chat about things. I can’t remember what.

1.4.17.jpg

Dawn: I was getting more determined to find a fridge. This is the other Dumpster near the bar. Can you see there was no rubbish? The Green Initiative had only just been passed and the council had already done some clearing. I was already not coughing as much. Hey, what do you think? 2 days after crafting a counter, I found one! It’s a bar counter but it was in decent condition.

1.4.19.jpg

Dawn: I went in the bar and ordered fish & chips to celebrate. Oh yes, I can buy food from bars. I just prefer not to. Oh and I invited Michael to join me. We had a long chat about what I was trying to do, redeem this world and try to have as low a carbon footprint as possible. He’s a Green Fiend so he thought it was a great plan. He also Loves Outdoors and is Active. Actually, he was a bit angry when he arrived because he’d jogged here and nearly passed out from the bad air. I gave him my number and said to text rather than call as I was Off-Grid. He said that was awesome!

1.4.20.jpg

Dawn: It had been such a great evening and for once I wasn’t exhausted so I thought I’d do a late night Dumpster Dive. Look what I found! A fridge. An actual fridge. Yes, it needed fixing. Yes, it’s not a great model but I’m going to be able to cook now! I could have danced all night.

1.4.22.jpg

Dawn: Tuesday morning, after the best sleep ever, I woke up to the sound of Michael knocking on the door. He said he’d thought about texting but couldn’t wait for a reply.

1.4.23.jpg

Dawn: We talked, and talked, and talked about how to live Off-Grid. How to be self-sufficient. He said he really wanted to craft jewellery but didn’t know where to start so I told him about the crystals and metals I’d found in my first week. He told me I was special.

1.4.25.jpg

Dawn: I can’t believe I asked him to stay the night. I’d only just met him the day before. Oh, I really did dance all night. And so did he!

1.4.26.jpg

Dawn: Watcher! Stop making him do lovely things.
Watcher: I’m not making him. He’s not moved in, remember?
Dawn: But he’s making me all confused.
Watcher: What are you confused about?
Dawn: I’m getting a strong desire to ask him to be my boyfriend.
Watcher: And the problem is?
Dawn: I’m Single & Lovin It!
Watcher: Well, you know that can’t last. You’re the Founder of this Legacy. That comes with certain conditions – like creating an heir.
Dawn: Oh.

1.4.27.jpg

Dawn: Wednesday morning and look at us, eating fruit salad that I’d made. He’s my boyfriend now. I’m happy, I guess, but I can’t help but wonder if that means I’ll have less time for myself.

1.4.29.jpg

Dawn: Michael joined my club and came with me to the Maker Space. He got to know my friends there while I crafted a sink for the bathroom. It was a bit odd, hearing him tell everyone that we were an item. I do hope he won’t try to tell me how to live my life.

1.4.32.jpg

Bernice: Well, hello you two. What brings you here?
Dawn: We’re on a date because that’s what you do with a boyfriend, isn’t it?
Michael: We’ve been together for 24 hours now.
Bernice: Well aren’t you sweet.
Michael: I’ll go and get us some drinks. (wanders away)
Dawn: Quick, Bernice, tell me what to do? Watcher says he could be the one, but I don’t know what to do with a boyfriend.
Bernice: It kind of comes naturally, you know.
Dawn: I don’t mean in the bedroom department. That’s – I mean – well, fantastic. But I mean – being together. All the time! I’m worried I’ll lose myself.
Bernice: Send him home after this date, honey. Say you’ve got things to do. Get some alone time and then you’ll have a clearer head.

1.4.35.jpg

Dawn: By Thursday evening, I’d got a clearer head. After all, what had I been working towards? I’d even crafted lights for each room so it was ready for me to get married. Michael was wonderful plus he wants to make the world a better place, too. If I had to have someone, I might as well have Michael. I asked him to move in.

1.4.36.jpg

Michael: On Friday, while Dawn fabricated a better double bed for us, I gave her a bit of space and started my Gemology journey. Dawn had some lovely crystals and metals but, even using them, it still cost $50 to craft something really special. It had to be perfect. I used a crystal that would help make masterpieces. I worked really hard. No-one else had been using the Gemology table so it was quiet. I love being in the same room as Dawn – she makes my heart leap – but doing our own thing.

1.4.38.jpg

Michael: Dawn Makey. I feel like I was going nowhere before I moved into Evergreen Harbour and met you. And since I met you, I feel like I’ve been in a dream, hoping that I can stay in that dream together. Will you let me be part of your life, separate people but joined, intimately? Will you marry me?

1.4.39.jpg

Dawn: I said yes, of course. I mean, that’s what I’m supposed to do and it was a lovely proposal with a lovely hand-crafted ring. But then again, it’s a lot of commitment when I’ve been used to being single.
Saturday morning I packed up the store in Grims Quarry and moved everything to a new store at Canal Corner in Conifer Station, my last home. Watcher had another storage container craned in and I set it up with the decent things inside and other stuff out. There’s no lighting here so we put in windows. I’ll only open up during the day until I make some more lights. I did make a loo at the woodworking table but it’s only normal quality so it will be useful here. We need a sink too but I’ll find one or make one. I’ll get some power generation going too when funds allow.
I sent Michael off fishing and then Dumpster Diving while I saw to the customers. I could have done with his help in the store but I needed some space. I was so tense. Why did I think being in a relationship was a good idea in the first place?

1.4.42.jpg

Dawn: At the Romance Festival, the Guru confirmed my worst fears. Michael could see I was unsettled. That boy seems to know me inside and out. He came with me to see the Guru again. That sneaky Guru! I reckon Michael had slipped him a fiver!

1.4.44.jpg

Michael: Dawn Makey, you’ve promised to be mine and now, on the spur of the moment at the Romance Festival, in the rain, I promise to love you, respect you, give you space and be your help-mate. Through thick and thin, in rest and work, together and separately, cleaving to each other and no other, as long as we both shall live.
Dawn: Michael Marlowe, you’ve promised to be mine and now I promise to love you, support you in your endeavours, working and loving, together and separately as equals in life, raising the next generation, cleaving to each other and no other, for as long as we both shall live.
Michael: How do you feel?
Dawn: I actually feel Fine +1! It’s a big step but I’m not stressed. I’m…hopeful.
Michael: Um, about that next generation bit…we hadn’t discussed children. You know having children isn’t very eco-friendly?
Dawn: You need to talk to Watcher. Let’s go home!

1.4.47.jpg

Progress End of Week 4 (Year 1, Spring 4/4)
Residence: The Shipping Views, Port Promise, Evergreen Harbour
(Challenges: Reduce & Recycle; Off-Grid; Simple Living)

1.4.family.jpg

Dawn Makey: Founder – Young Adult (20 days to Adult)
Traits: Creative, Freegan, Outgoing
Spouse: Michael (Marlowe)
Michael (Marlowe) Makey: Founders Spouse – Young Adult (19 days to Adult)
Green Fiend, Active, Loves Outdoors +Proper

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Notes
Priorities:
-- Food production – with a full working kitchen, Dawn and Michael are now only restricted by the Simple Living Lot Challenge. How hard can it be?
-- Next gen – will Dawn swap her Single & Lovin’ It Lifestyle for the Hungry For Love one? Will she convince Green Fiend Matthew that it’s worth having children despite the cost to the environment?

NAPs I’ve upped the NAP requirement to get all 4 eco-friendly NAPs passed. It’s not a hard task with a bit of moving around and it should also help get all the lots towards Green Eco status.

Single & Lovin’ It A lot of the phrases Dawn uses in the narrative about her feelings came from the moodlets she was feeling. She’s been single for over 3 weeks with hardly a hint of romance. It would be odd to not be ambivalent about her new status. I quite like Lifestyles for that extra challenge.

Moving I’ve got a repeat of a bug I had in my other game where (Moving/Keep Furniture) lost the furniture in transit and without getting the equivalent funds – which would have been a fail anyway. Fortunately I had a recent save to which I could roll-back. In order to get around it, all the furniture, etc has to be moved into the household inventory prior to moving. In moving first to Grims Quarry and then to Port Promise, I was saving the game every step of the way!

“Michael Marlowe” is on the Gallery by SimmerLarsy with minor adjustments.
I actually moved another cute guy in to the other apartment available in Grims Quarry, also a Green Fiend but the other traits and aspiration were different. With them and Faiz and even Caleb, I let them meet by chance from the beginning of week 4 to let Dawn’s story develop accordingly.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Makey MishMash Legacy 1.4: I Could Have Danced All Night (5-May)
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2024, 12:47:10 PM »
Oh, Dawn! Port Promise has bee so good to you! Both a fridge and a counter in the same week?
Plus she met the adorable Michael who proposed with a hand-crafted ring!
Her life has definitely turned around since the previous week! From now on, things can only get better, right?  Right!?

I'm glad Dawn was able to recover her furnishings when she moved!  Found or crafted, they are each utterly irreplaceable!
Getting all three hoods to Green seems like a hard task. In my simverse, Port Promise has gone from Industrial to Neutral but Grims Quarry slipped from Green to Neutral as well.

Best of luck in your new home, Dawn!
(Watcher, I was feeling a bit sheepish about playing my new legacy so obsessively, but I see you've been bitten by the same bug, hehe!)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2024, 01:00:28 PM »
Oh, Dawn! Port Promise has bee so good to you! Both a fridge and a counter in the same week?
Plus she met the adorable Michael who proposed with a hand-crafted ring!
Her life has definitely turned around since the previous week! From now on, things can only get better, right?  Right!?

I'm glad Dawn was able to recover her furnishings when she moved!  Found or crafted, they are each utterly irreplaceable!
Getting all three hoods to Green seems like a hard task. In my simverse, Port Promise has gone from Industrial to Neutral but Grims Quarry slipped from Green to Neutral as well.

Best of luck in your new home, Dawn!
(Watcher, I was feeling a bit sheepish about playing my new legacy so obsessively, but I see you've been bitten by the same bug, hehe!)
Definitely bitten by the bug. I'm trying not to post too often but Dawn keeps drawing me back. With 2 Sims in the household, it should slow down a bit...

Michael is shooting for Crystal Crafter and proposing with a hand-crafted ring is a requirement. It does make it a hard one to do if your circumstances don't fit.

I'm hating the ownership bug I'm getting. Besides 2 mounted fish and a postcard that she can't set for sale, she's got a fridge full of carrots that she can't eat! I have no idea what's going on and I can't find other people online with the same problem. It's not insurmountable but is quite annoying.

Getting other lots to Green status may involve some guerrilla updating of appliances and surreptitious swapping of fireplaces for radiators. I'm sure no-one will notice, lol.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2024, 01:50:44 PM »
I know, right? I'll finish a week then wonder what's going to happen in the week to come.
Playing a single-sim household also passes extremely swiftly, considering you and I both came from playing large households (your Wallaces & my Misturas).

I also have that ownership when moving unless I move everything out of the storage boxes into personal inventory.
That is, everything that can go into personal inventory needs to be moved to personal inventory.
I've never done with a fridge, though, because my sims usually (not Dawn/Renato, of course) always have surplus produce.
Anything I leave in a storage box becomes "unowned."  This is what makes moving a hoarder household so tedious. 

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2024, 02:07:46 PM »
What a great chapter! I really like how you incorporated the text from the moodlets into Dawn's conversation. And the vows were so sweet and perfect.
I do wish the Guru's comments were a little less random - even if the same sim asks again, the response can be completely different. He/she is like a human 8-ball. 😂
Dawn and Michael are going to make beautiful red-headed mini-sims!

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2024, 02:09:39 PM »
I didn't think of it until just now, but I'm wondering if there was something in the rules that prevented them from cooking fish over a fire before they had a stove/counter. Or was building a fire not allowed?

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2024, 02:46:17 PM »
I didn't think of it until just now, but I'm wondering if there was something in the rules that prevented them from cooking fish over a fire before they had a stove/counter. Or was building a fire not allowed?
Thanks for the question. It's slightly vague about what you can & can't buy. I think both @oshizu & I are avoiding buying things that we could otherwise find/craft/win.

I'm pretty sure a campfire would be allowed but they have an industrial rating so I was avoiding them on the home lot. I know they have them openly in Granite Falls so I'd be happy roasting fish there (with all the trees to mop up the smoke!). I wonder where else... I've not really addressed using barbecues because Dawn hates spending money. But Michael isn't a Freegan...

Just as an aside to this, using the Woodwork on a Simple Living lot makes you "go chop wood" (rabbit hole function). I don't remember seeing that before so it may be the More Woodwork mod. I like it  :D

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Makey MishMash Legacy 1.5: Maybe Baby
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2024, 11:22:55 AM »
Makey MishMash Legacy 1.5: Maybe Baby

Previously: Dawn moved to Port Promise, via Grims Quarry and coughed a lot; she opened her store and met Matthew; she found an elusive counter and an elusive fridge; she danced all night with Matthew and asked him to move in; he made a ring and proposed; despite her being a flight risk, they held a spur-of-the-moment wedding at the Romance Festival.

1.4.family.jpg

Dawn: My wedding night was not what I expected! Michael was desperate for the loo when we got home and rushed to the bathroom straight away. By the time I’d checked that we’d voted for the right NAP, he went rushing out again, muttering about investigating some strange lights. I hadn’t seen anything.
I waited inside for a bit, upgraded our oven and then went to bed. I know I’d emphasized having our own space but I didn’t mean on our wedding night!

1.5.1.jpg

The next morning
Dawn: When did you come to bed?
Michael: I don’t really know.
Dawn: What were the strange lights?
Michael: What strange lights?
Dawn: That’s what I’m asking you. I fell asleep before you came to bed. I thought we were going to…(whisper, whisper)
Michael: I’m so sorry. It must have been that Sakura tea at the Romance Festival. I’ll make it up to you. I’ve arranged a couple of nights away for a honeymoon!
Dawn: Oh – that sounds lovely – but expensive?
Michael: You’ll love it!

1.5.5.jpg

Michael: Isn’t it great to be outdoors?
Dawn: Erm…
Michael: I know you were starting to become a bit of an indoors cat, but I know you’ll love it here.
Michael: We’ve got our dumpster bikes to do some cycle trails and I’ve bought a tent which is a long-term investment for future holidays.
Michael: So each night is only $59
Dawn: Erm..

1.5.6.jpg

Dawn: You may have picked up that I wasn’t entirely thrilled by the idea of the outdoor life. Michael was right, I had started developing the Indoorsy Lifestyle. But I’ve moved on from being Single & Lovin It. Maybe I’ll enjoy being outdoors. After all, there’s a lot of free stuff if you take up foraging. Michael did a bit of fishing and I hiked around the woods which was very relaxing. Every time I saw a strange bush, I called Michael and he came and harvested it. We recognised Sage and Basil but goodness knows what the other stuff is. I found a chess board and a woodwork bench in the Rangers Station. Some of the time, Michael and I just lay together, watching the clouds.

1.5.7.jpg

Dawn: There were other interesting things. The Elder Ranger helped me get over my Fear of Death and gave me some “sage advice on money” but I developed a Fear of the Dark. Faiz rang me to ask if he should go out with Vanesha so I said yes. Michael found some bugs which he roasted and ate. They tasted OK and I guess they were free. Oh, and we enjoyed the tent a lot, even though there is absolutely no privacy in a tent and there were always people around. We definitely made up for our wedding night!

1.5.16.jpg

Michael: When we got back from camp, Dawn realised she was Cheerful. I was so proud of her. I know things have changed so quickly but she’s embracing it. I just wish she wasn’t so set on having children. All those nappies in landfill, more mouths to eat up our world’s resources… It’s just not sensible.

1.5.24.jpg

Michael: Is there stuff in there? Have you found a Deal?
Dawn: Why don’t you come in and see?
Michael: But…there’s not much room.
Dawn: I can make room, if I wiggle like this.
Michael: …
Dawn: Or this..?
Michael:…

1.5.25.jpg

Dawn: That was fun.
Michael: It really was! Let’s do it again!

1.5.26.jpg

Michael: Oh – I woke up feeling wonderful. Last night was….different but oh I feel good. Watcher has got us some bees to help with pollination and some chickens to give us eggs. Some birds and some bees. Oh no! Last night we didn’t…. Oh no!

1.5.27.jpg

Michael: Dawn?
Dawn: Hm?
Michael: You know last night?
Dawn: Oh yes!
Michael: You know we didn’t take precautions?
Dawn: Really? Never mind…

1.5.29.jpg

Michael: You really do play dirty, don’t you.
Dawn: You didn’t seem to mind last night. Anyway, I know you bribed that Romance Guru to give us a better response!
Michael: I thought you didn’t notice that.
Dawn: You play as dirty as me!
Michael: Right! I’m going to get you!
Dawn (Shrieking & running away, but not too fast, you understand!)

1.5.36.jpg

Michael: More Dumpster Diving?
Dawn: Watcher says we can’t.
Michael: Why not?
Dawn: I’m eating for two already.
Michael: OK, we can do this, oh oh oh.
Dawn: Just breathe, Michael, deep breaths.

1.5.37.jpg

Dawn: Will you look at that. Another fridge! And this one works Off-Grid. That other one kept letting the food spoil. I thought we could manage with regular appliances but I need to reconsider that. We opened up the shop yesterday. Actually, Michael did all the selling so he could get to meet more people while I checked the local Dumpsters. There wasn’t much, to be honest, but it’s always worth checking.
Our home now has a Green rating. That’s 4 lots in this world now: the Harris place, the Maker Space, our store at Canal Corner and our home. I really must visit Knox and see why his is still only Neutral. Plus Bess Sterling’s place is still Industrial and I hardly know her…

1.5.38.jpg

Michael: We’d managed to grow some mushrooms in the lea of the building so Dawn made a batch of mushroom soup – a whole batch. Not just 4 portions like we’ve had to stick to before because our fridge didn’t keep it fresh. 8 portions of soup for our Baby Shower guests. I wasn’t sure about throwing a party – all those disposable plates and wasted food. But we had re-usable plates and everyone loved the soup.
We got given one Rattle, one Bleep toy that must be solar powered and 2 Best Buddies – those patchwork koala things. Dawn was so busy gushing about the baby that it was me people gave the gifts too. Our neighbour Knox gave his directly to Dawn though. I think he’s a bit sweet on her. They were BFFs before I arrived.
We bought an old fashioned toybox to put the toys in along with the rattle that Dawn found in a dumpster ages ago. One thing that bothered me – people kept wondering what our baby would do as a career. Hello? It’s not even been born yet! Still, maybe I should think about a career for me.

1.5.47.jpg

Dawn: After the party, we went to the Spice Festival but that creep Darrell Charm was there. We’ve not even been introduced and I’ve never been to Glimmerbrook but he keeps asking me to meet him there for a duel! He claims I’ve been working on my magic skills which I never have. At this rate, I’m never going near Glimmerbrook!
Michael: Dawn didn’t want to stay at the Spice Festival because of Darrell so she left. I was really tired but I got some new Summer ingredients from the plants there. Plus I got a packed lunch from each of the sample dishes. I even remembered to put them in our fridge when I got home. And added ice!

1.5.53.jpg

Dawn: Happy?
Michael: I am happy.
Dawn: And about the baby?
Michael: I’m really happy about the baby. One baby won’t cost the earth – financially or ecologically.
Dawn: And that other thing?
Michael: I’ve decided to become a Green Technician. I know you think it’s selling out, but I can make a wider difference in our world, not just in our home. I’ve got some really great ideas – inventions – in my head and joining that career will let me develop them. Please say you don’t mind.
Dawn: Mind? The man I married, the father of my unborn child, wants to make our Simverse a better place? I think you’re amazing.

1.5.54.jpg

Dawn: Thanks for agreeing to a discount. Look, we’re trying to be as self-sufficient and as low-processed as we can but I seem to need flour or sugar for a load of recipes.
Kim Goldbloom: How about Cricket Flour and Honey?
Dawn: I haven’t got Crickets yet but I can’t seem to use our Honey for things like canning and cakes, except Honey Cake.
Kim: Actually, you can’t use Cricket Flour for much either. You see, both would make things non-plant-based and you’d get into trouble with Vegetarians and vegans. Look, why don’t you buy the Sugar and Flour from me, while you’re here. They’re not ultra-processed and you can work your way to getting the other stuff in a self-sufficient way.
Dawn: Thanks – I’ll do that.

1.5.55.jpg

Thomas Watson: Will ye be joinin’ us later for a bottle o’ grog at the Finchwick Fair?
Michael: Arrh, that we won’, Matey.
Dawn: We’re gonna see where tha wind blows, arrh!

1.5.57.jpg

Michael: I love listening to you sing, little one.
Bird: Tweet!
Michael: If I try singing to you again, will you poop on me again?
Michael: Well, at least we’re friends now.
Dawn: Splash, splash, splash. I’m having the best time!

1.5.58.jpg

Dawn: Oh, oh, oh!
Michael: What’s the matter? Oh! It’s baby time. I’ve got the bassinet out that we got from the baby shower.
Dawn: Make it STOP! Why didn’t you make me go to the hospital with all their wonderful pain-relief?
Michael: Deep breaths, Dawn. Hold my hand. Remember you’re a Technophobe now and this was our birth plan.
Dawn: I hate birth plans! This is all your fault! Arrrgh!
Michael: Arrrgh! Not so tight! The baby’s coming…

Dawn: Is she OK? Did I hurt her?
Michael: She’s perfect, just like you. What shall we call her?
Dawn: I tricked you into having her, you can choose a name.
Michael: Tricked or not, I love her already. What about Jade – like the precious stone?
Dawn: Jade…..Arrrgh! What’s happening?
Michael: Oh, there’s another baby coming!
Dawn (panting): what…do…you…mean?
Michael: It’s twins! Wow. A little boy. Shall we call him Jet?
Dawn: I don’t care! Just tell me there’s no more in there!

1.5.62.jpg

Progress End of Week 5 (Year 1, Summer 1/4)

1.5.family.jpg

Founders
Dawn Makey: Founder
– Young Adult (17 days to Adult)
Traits: Creative, Freegan, Outgoing +Cheerful
Spouse: Michael (Marlowe)
Michael (Marlowe) Makey: Founders Spouse – Young Adult (12 days to Adult)
Green Fiend, Active, Loves Outdoors +Proper; Career – Civil Designer 3/10

Generation 2
Jade: Heir?
(twin) nooboo
Jet: Heir? (twin) nooboo

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Notes
Priorities:
-- Food production – I love the concept of Simple Living but you can’t produce sugar or flour. Honey and cricket flour are not valid substitutes for them. I think sugar and flour will be the only grocery store items that we’ll buy and only by travelling to HoB. I’m hoping that the birds will gift us with some useful items.
-- Infant/toddler equipment – some will have to be bought but some can be found/won. I was blown away by all the toys given at the Baby Shower. The Makeys will try to hold a few more socials!
--raising Logic levels – chess boards and observatories on community lots are fair game but it would be nice to win a chess board for home.

I was taken aback by Michael’s alien abduction. He hadn’t been doing anything sciencey! An alien nooboo? I shrugged and decided I could deal with it. Anyway – no alien nooboo. Which was a relief, tbh.

The original rules say that the Founder can join the Civil Designer career to get the various eco-devices but that all income must be cheated away. In conversation with oshizu, we have agreed that the spouse can also do it. Also that we won’t worry about cheating away the income, mainly because it’s fiddly and hard to keep track. Dawn wants to become a Master Maker so she will also do the 5 (& only 5) necessary freelance gigs. Freegans hate “working for the man”

The main challenge for this generation is only buying items that can’t be found/made/won. Income, after the first few weeks, doesn’t seem to be a big issue. I have never heard of bee-boxes, bug-boxes, chicken runs and now bird-tree-stumps being found and so I’ve decided to buy those for the family. I’ll also be buying them each a knitting bag and cross-stitch box. I’d love some vertical planters but we can only make the horizontal ones, I think.

I get to the end of each Sim-week and think I’ve not taken many screenshots. Then I go and look in the folder and there’s nearly 100 that I like! It’s so hard to prune them down to just the ones that move the narrative along. Hopefully it’s giving a flavour of the Makey journey.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Makey MishMash Legacy 1.5: Maybe Baby (7-May)
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2024, 01:55:43 PM »
Before I forget (and I keep forgetting), how does one pronounce "Makey"?  Like MACK-ee?

That's a lovely fridge you found!  You'd mentioned only using stuff found/crafted/won, but Renato always visits the Flea Market to check out possible deals. :)
Great job on the gold-medal baby shower!
Love the names Jade and Jet! Is Michael still dabbling in gemology or only crafting specific useful items?

When the Gen2 kids are children, Renato plans to take everyone to Granite Falls to try and fish up a tent and cooler.
Oh! It's summer in my simverse, too! Time to visit Bedrock Strait in search of wild tomatos!

I've found that increasing Logic can lead to a higher chance of alien abductions.
Michael is no doubt glad that he didn't end up pregnant, especially after Dawn delivered twins!
What color are Michael's eyes?

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Re: Makey MishMash Legacy 1.5: Maybe Baby (7-May)
« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2024, 02:32:51 PM »
Before I forget (and I keep forgetting), how does one pronounce "Makey"?  Like MACK-ee?

That's a lovely fridge you found!  You'd mentioned only using stuff found/crafted/won, but Renato always visits the Flea Market to check out possible deals. :)
Great job on the gold-medal baby shower!
Love the names Jade and Jet! Is Michael still dabbling in gemology or only crafting specific useful items?

When the Gen2 kids are children, Renato plans to take everyone to Granite Falls to try and fish up a tent and cooler.
Oh! It's summer in my simverse, too! Time to visit Bedrock Strait in search of wild tomatos!

I've found that increasing Logic can lead to a higher chance of alien abductions.
Michael is no doubt glad that he didn't end up pregnant, especially after Dawn delivered twins!
What color are Michael's eyes?
I've always pronounced it MAKE-EE but I've only seen it written while doing genealogy research. I've not actually met any of my Makey relatives.

Does the Flea Market do appliances? I've only ever seen chairs/lighting. Maybe I should go look. Having fixed on having Off Grid items, I'm hoping for the best of those within each category, selling any others. They've already got the best off-grid shower and stove. I don't anticipate a lot of diving for better ones in the coming week. I suspect we'll be lucky to make any progress beyond child-care. Michael (green eyes) is planning to get the Crystal Crafter aspiration but he's mainly using found crystals to save money. Once the Crystal tree starts "fruiting", he'll have more options.

One of the friends Dawn & Renato Michael made on their honeymoon turned up to give them a pack of starter fruits - bottom right in the baby shower pics. There was a tomato in there, which was great because a lot of recipes need tomatoes and they can make tomato preserve now.

Michael does need to increase his Logic for his career. I really hope he doesn't have an alien nooboo.  :o

**edited- Dawn went on a honeymoon with Michael, not her clone pattern Renato  :o **

anything