Author Topic: Sims 3 Re-Install Issues - Fixed!!  (Read 8358 times)

Offline BonnieLM77

• Llama Wrangler
Sims 3 Re-Install Issues - Fixed!!
« on: November 19, 2023, 09:58:28 PM »
I finally got around to doing a complete uninstall and re-install of my Sims 3 game (I was testing stuff before doing a complete uninstall) only to find out in the past 2 years since I did one, somehow my original Sims 3 dvd became corrupted (I noticed some scratches and marks but it worked before) can you download and use the online version through the EA app just to get the base game re-installed and then install the rest by dvd? I did find one article on the EA answers HQ that said you could but just wanted a second opinion since everybody on here gave me a lot of great help before. (I do plan on trying to get another dvd of the base game original version)

update-I tried installing the base game through the EA app, then I tried installing WA from the disc-that didn't want to load, so I tried High end loft stuff and Seasons and they would bring up the installer, but coincidentally I bought WA, Ambitions, LN, Pets and IP through the app so I could get the registration rewards from the store so I don't know if that has anything to do with it or not-that it only wants to install the digital versions instead, any thoughts?

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Sims 3 Re-Install Issues
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2023, 12:01:22 AM »
It's my understanding that once you download the EA App/1.69 or digital version of Sims 3, you can not install the rest of the game via disc/1.67. This is due to the incompatible patch level of each version when it comes to the installation of the game.

With that said, you can start installing the game via disc for example and let the EA App/1.69 take over the install, then play via the EA App.

You can not down-grade or go back to 1.67 without uninstalling/reinstalling the disc based version of the game.

Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline BonnieLM77

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 10:53:56 AM »
most of the issue seems to be it won't allow the original base disc to install, I did try the disc and several others on my Mom's pc, and it loaded fine, so it's not that, it seems to be that it's annoyed that I uninstalled Origin and now when I tried re-installing just OriginThin, it won't allow the install, I did try installing the version off the Seasons dvd but then it gave me that error that you must be online when logging in for the first time, it's almost like it disabled the dvds on my computer that I bought the digital versions for, I tried a system restore to restore it before I uninstalled everything to see if it would allow me to do it then, but no go, I did reset my Windows Firewall to the defaults and will try from a clean boot and safe mode to see if it will allow it, I really don't want to have to buy the digital versions of all my games. The other thing is I also run custom content not only from the store but from TSR as well and I want to be able to run my mods and simpack files-I usually install them through the launcher

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 11:21:37 AM »
If you want to go with strictly disc based game, you'll need to turn off game updates in the EA App and/or Origin if that's what you still have installed.

Otherwise Origin or the EA App will try to take over the Sims 3 game installation and upgrade you to the digital version/1.69 patch

You shouldn't have to re-purchase the game digitally. Try turning off game updates in EA App or Origin. Then install what expansions and stuff packs you have on disc.

This is what I had to do when I installed Sims 3 via disc a few years back.
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline BonnieLM77

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2023, 11:28:45 AM »
but what if you uninstalled both the EA app and origin completely? it's almost like when I did, my computer will no longer recognize the base game disc or any disc that I bought the digital copy for-I tried the base game, WA, and Pets-wouldn't detect the disc, but when I tried High End Loft Stuff or Seasons-it detected the disc and the installed popped up, I'm going to try it from a clean boot or safe mode to see if that will work, I tried re-installing origin from a copy of origin thin I had and it said the installer encountered an error and to quit and re-install it-I checked with a friend of mine and she said she had to re-install Origin before the disc would run

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2023, 11:32:31 AM »
Regardless of how you play Sims 3, you should still be able to install and use your custom content in .Sims3Pack files and .package files.

If using the EA App, you'll need to turn off the in-game overlay and turn off notifications, because the EA App is interfering with the install of Sims3Pack files.

Turn Off In-Game Overlay:
Click Menu (☰) up top left > Settings > Application > In-Game Overlay

Turn Off Notifications:
Click Menu (☰) up top left > Settings > Application > Notifications for while in-game

✽ It seems you cannot really turn off notifications, or at least when I tried it didn't allow me to do so. As I looked at it again after checking some other settings and the notifications were all check marked again.

See this thread from answers.ea for more details -

Sims 3 Launcher "There are no packages to install"
https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/Sims-3-Launcher-quot-There-are-no-packages-to-install-quot/m-p/11946593#M252702

With a disc install, you login to the Sims 3 Store - https://store.thesims3.com/ and download files from your purchase history page or from the item's page after opening the Sims 3 launcher. 

You may need to use Firefox, for example, to download Sims 3 store files because some browsers are a little more strict than others in that they won't allow you to download files.

You might try making sure your Antivirus or security software is not blocking the game/EA App or website you're trying to download from.

Add an exclusion to Windows Security: (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/add-an-exclusion-to-windows-security-811816c0-4dfd-af4a-47e4-c301afe13b26)

Offline BonnieLM77

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2023, 11:35:10 AM »
even if I don't have the EA app or Origin installed right now?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2023, 11:39:22 AM »

It sounds like you might have a base game disc that was made after 2012, if that's the case you need Origin or the EA App to install and play the game.

If your base game disc has an Origin logo on it, that means it needs Origin/EA App to install and play.

but what if you uninstalled both the EA app and origin completely? it's almost like when I did, my computer will no longer recognize the base game disc or any disc that I bought the digital copy for-I tried the base game, WA, and Pets-wouldn't detect the disc, but when I tried High End Loft Stuff or Seasons-it detected the disc and the installed popped up, I'm going to try it from a clean boot or safe mode to see if that will work, I tried re-installing origin from a copy of origin thin I had and it said the installer encountered an error and to quit and re-install it-I checked with a friend of mine and she said she had to re-install Origin before the disc would run

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2023, 11:45:42 AM »
I am not entirely sure.  It sounds like you may need Origin/EA App to install and play.

If that's the case you may not be able to play the game or install .Sims3Pack files until we can figure out how to get the game installed.

even if I don't have the EA app or Origin installed right now?

Offline BonnieLM77

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2023, 11:52:03 AM »
the one I have is the one with the Sims 3 Starter pack base that had the base game, High End Loft stuff and Late night and does have the Origin logo on the back, I might have to keep an eye out for a base game dvd without the logo, or try re-installing Origin in a clean boot or safe mode and then try the disc again, weird that it's doing this through-never thought that uninstalling Origin might cause this, I did try re-installing the EA app after it wouldn't detect the disc the first time, but it still wouldn't detect the disc

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2023, 11:57:14 AM »
Ah okay. If memory serves correct, the Sims 3 Starter pack came out in 2013 and does require Origin/EA App to install and play.

the one I have is the one with the Sims 3 Starter pack base that had the base game, High End Loft stuff and Late night and does have the Origin logo on the back, I might have to keep an eye out for a base game dvd without the logo, or try re-installing Origin in a clean boot or safe mode and then try the disc again, weird that it's doing this through-never thought that uninstalling Origin might cause this, I did try re-installing the EA app after it wouldn't detect the disc the first time, but it still wouldn't detect the disc

Offline BonnieLM77

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2023, 12:01:07 PM »
so do you think trying to install a version of origin from one of the other discs that my computer will detect might fix it, or try to install the base game from a clean boot or safe mode? I found an older copy on a reddit page that gave a link to an older version of origin, I'm going to see if that will install, I did reset my windows firewall to see if that might have been blocking it, but I might have to turn it off or try it from a clean boot or safe mode

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2023, 12:08:05 PM »
Sorry, just caught the part where you mentioned disc not detected. I've heard of this issue happening to some players. If you have the game registered on your EA Account,  you might download it via the EA App.

This way you won't have to try to hunt down either a new copy of the Starter pack dvd or base game disc.

I don't know if downloading an older version of Origin will help the issue of disc not detected. That sounds like it might be the disc is having issues or maybe the drive.

How to test that is to try the disc in another dvd drive, if you have one.

I did try re-installing the EA app after it wouldn't detect the disc the first time, but it still wouldn't detect the disc

so do you think trying to install a version of origin from one of the other discs that my computer will detect might fix it, or try to install the base game from a clean boot or safe mode? I found an older copy on a reddit page that gave a link to an older version of origin, I'm going to see if that will install, I did reset my windows firewall to see if that might have been blocking it, but I might have to turn it off or try it from a clean boot or safe mode

Offline BonnieLM77

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2023, 12:22:52 PM »
I did try the disc in another computer and it detected it, but even with Origin re-installed, it doesn't seem to want to detect the base game disc, but it will recognize some of the later ones and other discs, I bought all of my discs second hand but it did show the Sims 3 plus 4 EP's in the EA library when I had it installed, but I only have 4 digital EP's which was why I was asking originally if you could download and install just the base game from the EA app and then try the disc versions of the rest, I was wondering if when I installed the EA app if it might have disabled something that allows the base game disc to be detected on this computer-I'm running Windows 7

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2023, 12:31:58 PM »
I don't think the EA App can disable base game disc to be detected.

I'm not sure what to do if your computer isn't detecting the base game disc.

Did you try the older version of Origin? And maybe download it from Origin?