Author Topic: Ghosts of the Landgraabs: The Mane Event  (Read 3892 times)

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
  • Oh the grill indoors will be fine!
Ghosts of the Landgraabs: The Mane Event
« on: July 21, 2023, 09:52:01 AM »
Part 1. A new save.

Goals for the save? To get all premade ghosts and get them into the family tree. Obviously. Guidry, Temperance, Mimsy, Bernard, Felix, and if there's a new one from StrangerHorseVille.

I'm particularly enthused by the idea of using nectar to do this. Is it possible? I might use a little bit of magic. My starting sim and future children are likely to remain aliens (IRL I'm not an alien), and they can't use magic to dedeathify. But judging by the StrangerHorseVille trailer, reviving a sim with alcohol sounds like it would work.

It's Del Sol Valley! Don't worry, we're not actually going to be seeing much of DSV. I'm keen to see the new world too, this is setup.

Who lives in Del Sol Valley? It's the Landgraabs!

Herbert and Janelle! New readers (or folks with bad memories) needn't worry about them, it's quite obvious that Herbert is iconic and delightful (a former Father Winter. Janelle might not look like she's an alien, but she is.

Together they have twin daughters Rosalind and Phoebe (here pictured full of joy), who are also pure aliens. They also have Sulani Mana and Father Winter's Baby. They, as of Growing Together represent the pinnacle of simming. I don't think StrangerHorseVille adds new traits and aspirations that are locked to kids and teens, so my hunch is that Ros and Phoebe cannot be surpassed. I went all-out for them, the most special and rare sims possible without cheats.

Disappointed with Del Sol, Rosalind took a little over $1.2m (hopefully legally, hopefully her inheritance, one cannot be sure) and has bought back the family lot in Oasis Springs. She's now quite broke, but has 8 perfect money trees so she'll be fine. As planned, Kyle Kyleson of the previous expansion who I've never used, is married to Ros, and over time might have very square faced kids.

Original Landgraabs are obviously alive in the new save, I don't delete sims. Nancy et al have moved to Newcrest. Twin Oracle Point. That house. So it's sort of a greatest hits, but those iconic houses (for me at least, I like 'em) will be in the background. It just felt wrong to not have the brown castle back, and Herbert really needed something as big as his style.

I decided that instead of learning everything first, then starting this, I'll just learn the nectar and horsies and so forth now. Goodness knows Phoebe is well qualified to learn anything very, very quickly.

Other housekeeping:

1. lifespan is normal, as always
2. aging is on, as always
3. neighbourhood stories is on. Sims can start a career, retire from a career, have a baby, and move in. They can't move out or die in accidents. I can't let Herbert, Janelle, or Ros die in a comic way. --Especially not Ros, because we want kids from her. They can't adopt pets or horses, because that'll get really stupid really fast.

So how do we start this?

With Phoebe, $0, and an empty field. The Landgraab name don't mean nothin' out heer.

And having typed that, this is now the first time I even click on Chestnut Ridge. My heart tells me that I probably need a 64x64, that I'm one to... spread out... and build large. So Phoebe moves out from Chateau Peak (I hope the air in Del Sol clears up, unless it's the dozen or so fireplaces at the chateau causing the fog?) with $9,987, the exact sum for Red Roan Field.

So I'll start by just exploring the pack, making simoleons. Can I train up a rescue horsie and win stuff? I'd like to. I have horse names ready to go. It's also been a while since I started with nothing, and that's a fun process. Phoebe is immortal, so she's the perfect sim to explore new systems with. There's no rush. And she'll pick up skills somewhat quickly. There's no immediate thought of spouses and babies. There's no plan whatsoever for the house.
It is a little thing of my own. I call it "Heart Foam". I shall not publish it. Farewell! Patience, Patience, farewell!

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Ghosts of the Landgraabs: The Mane Event
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2023, 04:14:38 PM »
Ooooh, this is beyond exciting. And I love the title "Mane Event."  Too clever!
I really love that we'll be discovering the new pack's content as you do.
This preferable to waiting weeks for you to become the Horse Ranch expert until we get the privilege to reading about what you've been up to. ;)

Marvelous shot of Herbert & Janelle at the beginning.
She initially looked rather ordinary but she's now flashy enough to keep up with the inimitable Herbert!
I'm still waiting for a semi-respectable Father Winter to show up in my legacy game.
(And spent every night for 2 weeks to "Invoke the Dead" but no Candy Jar, sobs).

Back to your story, I absolutely love Rags 2 Riches stories, so I am eager to read about Phoebe's new adventures!
Looking forward to finding out all about Chestnut Ridge through Phoebe's eyes!  Yaaay!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2023, 05:48:41 PM »
@oshizu Yes! Fun! That was all preamble before I had really set foot in the world. Plans have cystalised. A townie with a name I couldn't resist. I could immediately gush out a part 2.

You've reminded me that I need to get Phoebe summoning specters. New save and no Candy Jar. :(

And that in turn reminds me to place Guidry and Temperance in their haunted house. I know that canonically they're not husband and wife, but if I set them up like that and neighborhood stories kindly generates a child, it'll be the easiest way to connect them to the family tree.
It is a little thing of my own. I call it "Heart Foam". I shall not publish it. Farewell! Patience, Patience, farewell!

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2023, 07:55:01 PM »
@Heart Foam
Awww, no gushing out a part 2?  You know we'd love it.  But we're always happy to wait (for a reasonable amount of time).
I shall be curious to see how long it takes Phoebe to obtain the Candy Jar.
Lately, Carlos has been invoking ghosts more often than specters.

Brilliant idea to have a Guidry-Temperance child so Phoebe can get both ghosts in the family tree through their offspring.
I imagine you have similar plans for Mimsy and her husband whose name I never remember.
But how does that work? Phoebe revives each couple, and her offspring has a child with their offspring....aarrgh, my mind is boggled.
Please don't tell me.  I shall patiently wait until you unfold your gloriously strategic story!

I'm running off to buy popcorn!

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2023, 04:55:03 AM »
Well, not two entries on the same day. I'll try write up something this evening because so much happens early on. Need to set the scene and get stuck in.

Obviously Mimsy and Bernard need to be kept together and have a child. That's not giving away anything. A royal side of the fam? As an aside subplot? I have an idea for Something. There's a particular house that no one has seen, that has changed so much from when I got it on the gallery (the symmetrical koi ponds that use a lot of the stunning Desert Luxe tiles are all me), and I can't let that save fall by the wayside. It'll be fun to bring that house and those sims into the family tree. Patterns and fountains! :) This will be quite a long, multi generation dynasty.

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2023, 11:17:37 AM »
I can't wait to see Mimsy/Bernard's new home! If even you are excited about it, a pleb like me will no doubt swoon and talk in tongues.

Thank you for letting us know that we might have something to savor tomorrow!  Yay!

I'd assumed you posted Part 2, so I went about doing other things first to prolong the suspense, LOL!
I seriously can't wait!

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
Ghosts of the Landgraabs: The Mane Event - 2
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2023, 05:13:41 PM »
2. The next part. Let's get Fancy.

In this exciting episode: Phoebe gets Fancy, Yuki Behr sleeps in a bunkbed, and Jacques Villareal gets a girl pregnant.

But we start with Phoebe cutting grass. I had heard through the grapevine, by which we mean the internet, that the prairie grass was a new way to find collectibles. This is the first grass cutting ever.

Not bad! More than $1k immediately. As you see this is Sunday, Day 1 with zero simoleons. In subsequent grass scything, I have found no collectibles or wine. Nothing but the grass itself. I have nothing to compare this to, but trash wine seems to have some value. Obviously, we'll want to make our own trash wine in the fullness of time. Phoebe sold the bottle and built a small room with a door. This didn't leave enough for an easel. I could have easily made the room smaller, but decided to head to the park. I want to see the new locations.

New save means no family club. In my original Landgraab save that club has all the perks, and over 100k points unspent. So Phoebe needs a club. This is a horse expansion, so the next thought follows naturally enough: use the horsey logo. But no! This makes no sense, there's already a club with a horse logo: the Knights of the Hedge. Can't have two clubs with the same icon. That would hurt my soul. So Phoebe joins the Knights of the Hedge.

Phoebe has max charisma, and max many other skills. This is the moment Jacques is overthrown. It was easy.

I added an easel here. I don't feel like this is cheating, there are free easels all over the worlds. She started with no painting skill, but after about 3 paintings was level 10. And she was painting high value pictures too.

Phoebe was meeting the townies. Here's one: Pansy L'amour.

With such a name, such a face, and with my limited knowledge of who the new premades are, I wasn't sure. Was Pansy L'amour Maxis, or random? Never mind. I knew it then and there, Pansy was a sim we needed in the family. And she also brought in 20k, so there's that.

Back at the ranch, a small 64-tile tiny home was built and a stable which isn't enclosed and so doesn't add to the tile count.

If that's Phoebe looking quizzically at the bush, naturally you're wondering who is in the bush. Pansy and Jacques Villareal. He's the original leader of the club which will live on forever as the family club, and as a nod to that history, he will be in the family tree.

Pansy became pregnant first time. There are the rest of the Knights of the Hedge scattered about sleeping. Having "sleep" as an activity is a gamey way to get easy club points. I'm not handicapping myself in this save. This house is temporary. Just to get started. It's the same 64-tile plan I used when doing the Unlucky Chef in 8 days. Judith Ward had a bunk bed. Good times. I do also wonder if the skill boost (which Phoebe doesn't need, but helps Pansy) will help horses learn their skills faster? That's maybe a nerdy test to do with proper controls. Pansy ate a lot of carrots, because we want a son.

In the full light of day, all doubt is removed. Pansy L'amour, a gorgeous sim with a name I couldn't turn down... is definitely a random.

I dearly love how Phoebe is squinting. Both women need a makeover at some point. Same, Phoebe.

Day 2.

Wow. Only day 2? Okay. Time for a horsie. We had the funds on day 1, but it was after 7pm. On Monday morning, after Pansy went off to work as an artist (we can always cheese Trendi for money, what I want is the wall light) Phoebe clicked a horse bed in freshly built stable and looked for a rescue horse.

There exists no possible world in which I choose any horse other than Fancy. It has to be Fancy. I have no idea about breeds, I've still not looked at Fancy in CAS (or should that be CAP -- create a pet?), I'm going to wait until he's full sized. Maybe the odd horse Person knows what he is. Or a normal horse person. I also don't know how long the foal stage is. I guess I'll find out.

We've been going to festivals to buy and unlock shirts, and met up with Janelle which was nice. :)

Aliens have already abducted Phoebe.

And Pansy wafted to the Magic Realm to become a spellcaster. Her son + Phoebe = L'amour-Landgraab. Which sounds like 'more Landgraab', it's altogether fitting. It's the thought of L'amour-Landgraab that made me want to get Pansy into the household. I hope it's not too long. Regardless, if I want to keep the alien thing going (and I do), when Phoebe has a child, the father must be an occult. A spellcaster, for example. In which case, he might as well have a bloodline trait. So that's why we're here.

Back at the ranch, and I can say that now without it being funny, Phoebe started making nectar.

It's nice that it's in the game. It seems like the very high-end nectars are ruinously expensive -- fair enough. That tracks with reality. Some will have interesting effects. But it's not a deep system, and I wish bottles weren't produced quite so quickly. You can even buy basic ingredients right from the machine, like strawberries. I'm wondering if the value or quality of the plant matters in the final nectar? More testing needed, or feel free to comment. It seems like the nectar equivalent of ambrosia / dedeathify uses spinach and death flowers, both winter plants. I know the shops in the magic realm stock death flowers fairly often, so that's easy enough.

We've finally gone to CAS. Phoebe has an outfit with one of the new hairs. --She still has her frizzy hair in another outfit. All alien hair is magic.

As you behold, Pansy L'amour (yes, she is pregnant here) also got one of the new hairs, and received a quick makeover using premade outfits.

Soon it was time to give birth. After all she had got pregnant on day 1. (I'm sure I told myself we'll take it gently this time.) On the other hand, emergent gameplay! I wanted a Pansy + Jacques kiddo, and he -- Jacques -- usually isn't long for the world. He's not a ghost, but very soon becomes one.

The hospital is James Turners' "Regional Hospital". It's really nice. I like it. I've been putting in a few saves.

The newborn is a boy. Reese L'amour. I'm not deeply invested in raising him perfectly, but I don't have to rush either. The L'amour-Landgraabs will only begin when he becomes a young adult, so Phoebe has time to race Fancy and make nectar. If she can source the ingredients for nectar that brings Mimsy and Bernard back to life sooner than winter, we'll do that. I'd like to get started with the ghosts.

With no space in a 64-tile tiny home, Reese spawned in the stables. Really. I moved him and straightened up the crib, but this is where the game put him. Also, a visitor kicked over the trash can and a trash fruit has sprouted! Success! We are definitely going to make high quality bin nectar.

-----

Next time: we need a bigger house. Infant Reese will need a proper crib. Obviously this will remove the 64-tile skilling bonus, but hopefully that's not a big hit. Related to this, as a foal, Fancy seems to only be able to raise his temperament skill, but I feel it's progressed quickly. Maybe down to the tiny home? But I have nothing to compare it to. Dearest Fancy is such a cute horsie, and he's afraid of everything and needs a hug and TLC all the time. In the middle of the night Phoebe often sprints out to a frightened little foal in a field to calm him down. He gets tons of attention, and his needs scarcely ever drop below "excellent'.

Exit Bunthorne.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2023, 12:15:37 PM »
It has begun!
I do like your Tiny House with its bump-out to accommodate bunk beds.
Seeing the bassinet next the nectar machine made me LOL, because it's very much something I would do.
Bbbuttt, then I read on to learn that the game put the newborn there.
Since horses become household members, I imagine they acquire traits. Will Fancy get the Top-Notch Foal trait?

Love Pansy's makeover and I'm glad to see that Phoebe also got a yeehaw hairstyle.
I know you've kept, however, Phoebe's iconic beret + tortoiseshell sunglasses look!

Awesome that nectar offers an Ambrosia equivalent! Looking forward to how that plays out.
I'm also super curious (from the standpoint of my Mishmash) at how lucrative nectar-brewing is.
Perhaps the next heir will try nectar-brewing. *scratches chin

Hugo isn't an attractive sim, but Max Villareal certainly is. Can't wait to see how Reese ages up!

Offline Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2023, 02:27:26 PM »
Woah, I never would have guessed Trash Nectar would be so valuable!  One of my sims found a trash fruit while exploring the cave, I guess she better plant it.  And then get stomping so she can make the stuff!

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2023, 03:22:26 PM »
@Brian_Z I'm so keen to actually have a reason for the trash plant. Apparently drinking trash nectar helps build friendship with horses faster. I didn't drink that first one, and haven't yet made any more. I think trash plants might still give a negative mood, and they don't produce much. I'm thinking of grafting to something like daisies.

@oshizu As far as I know there's not a top notch foal, but if there is I'll be aiming for it. I've heard about the Champion Horse trait from winning everything. Foals of that champion horse have more value and learn skills faster. That being the case, Fancy needs to win everything before we think of finding a mare.

Nectar is obscenely lucrative. According to the site I have open now, the base price for finely aged excellent Vitality Nectar is $33,978. The marketable trait is RNG, but could potentially triple that. If we're conservative, the sim produces a bottle at $50,000. (Then sell that at a table with a 300% markup. It adds up. A $200k bottle.) I hope Mimsy and Bernard appreciate it. It had better taste nice.

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
Ghosts of the Landgraabs: The Mane Event
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2023, 07:13:52 AM »
3. The Ranch.

In this thrilling yet safe episode: Phoebe wears a shirt, Nancy holds an umbrella, and Vivian takes a photo.

The picture above is the last we'll see of the 64-tile tiny home. Things have had to change because of rather sudden Emergence of a Child. I think when I started I imagined playing with one sim for a while. Including the horsie, there are now 4 sims. At time of writing, that number has increased. So much happens early on that I'll have to write up the next chapter fairly swiftly.

That same morning, Phoebe checked trends on Trendi, and bought two outfits of that trend. She listed them for $1m each. It was while talking to Fancy that the first request to buy came through. she sent off the outfit, and now she is set up like a proper Landgraab. It's not quite in the spirit of rags-to-riches, the game is laughably easy if you want it to be. But this is also me just wanting to learn the pack. We can move out a future generation to the 50x50 lot in the glorious desert area (very appropriate for a Landgraab) and I'll know what I'm doing, and maybe just stick to nectar making. Trendi is absolutely a cheat code. Both outfits sold, and after purchasing the house funds were $1.7m.

Reese is now an infant, and they need a few more things and a bit more space. The lot is not mine, it's "Italian Equestrian Ranch" by BlueTrueSkye on the gallery. I'm a big fan, it oozes the right ambiance. I'm also heavily editing it as I go, because while it has three nectar makers (never going to need three at once) it has no cellar to age the wine faster. The bay windows are walled off. The towers have no windows. So you can all pick up the original on the gallery, and I think everyone would play it differently and change it differently.

I don't like the bunkbeds there either. As you see, we've broken through one wall, but need to clear some vines one the outside and install some windows. An ongoing villa renovation!

Pansy came home from the art studio to find the house had slightly changed.

The short newborn stage meant Reese soon aged up to infant. Oh, it's worth saying Pansy hates children. She hated being pregnant. And is an adult with a midlife crisis.

Phoebe at the Spice Festival. It's a new save, and we haven't got these unlocked.

Her 5-star celebrity glow maybe gives her a slightly weird look, and that reminded me to try for those autonomous selfies. Phoebe's aspiration progress has carried over. She's at that point in the World Famous Celebrity aspiration that requires selfies, which is the one part the player has least control over. Arguably the most elusive bits of any aspiration. In the past I've had some luck with selfies at festivals, but she's been to two or maybe three, and nothing.

Back at the ranch...

... you can see the nearly fully stocked garden the house came with from the gallery. On some level this annoys me. It takes gameplay away from players who ought to get these plants themselves. It has both spinach and death flowers, though they are not growing outside because it's spring and they're out of season. I want to get started reviving ghosts, and there are alternatives to waiting that long.

1. Befriending Roberto Crinkletop and asking him about a nectar recipe can get you a bottle of Vitality Nectar. That's the simplest.
2. Next best is buying death flowers in the Magic Realm.

None of those options worked, but that's for later.

Fancy is very close to aging up to an adult, so Phoebe signed up for some $250 riding classes. I'm glad to see that's an option.

She reached level 9 riding and was 74% to level 10 after two classes. The Knights of the Hedge club bought the riding skill perk, and Phoebe is quite talented. So when she sat on a horse for the first time she maxed the skill. To the left of her hat, you can see long windows in the towers now.

To update on dear little Fancy, he's level 5 temperament. I suppose that's not bad.

The very best horses for skill gain will be intelligent, and be the foal of a champion horse. I looked forward to that. Fancy has no such bonuses, but has Character. Rescue horses are not easy, but that makes it more rewarding. Horse Ranch is very me. I like long-range goals. I like breeding in traits.

Another favourite item is the Unassuming Candy Jar.

Exhale. We've got a side table with 4 bizarre idols, and another in the lounge, but no candy jar yet. Phoebe is really considering being a ghost hunter to speed this up.

Knox on a horse:

Stables:

A visit to Guidry and Temperance:

Someone has uploaded them to the gallery. If you do any of the paranormal stuff, ghost hunting etc., they don't get duplicated. These sims have the special traits, the game knows that, and it's this Guidry and this Temperance that will appear. I put the house on Hallow Slough. It's lightly edited, so there is actually a back door through the kitchen and has a neater lounge.

Phoebe instantly befriended Temperance and discussed expanding the family.

No kids have resulted. I could switch to them and see if a science baby is an option. It should be, right? But there's no rush. They're ghosts!

Phoebe is at Movers & Shakers gym in Willow Creek. Upstairs, there's what really seems to be a bar area. I enjoy doing a mild base game only renovation to make it an actual bar. And it's my go-to place for fame selfies, and it worked brilliantly again! Don Gooseman is the barman.

Two selfies at the gym bar. The reason we came here was Reese's needs were bad, but Pansy was at work. Reese doesn't know Phoebe and she couldn't help him. So she just left him to daycare to go drinking. It sounds bad if I write it like that.

If there is one sombre picture to sum up most days, and it's Phoebe giving presents to spectres.

Her undiminished optimism, her steadfast hope carries her through this Great Trial. But I think she needs to sign up as a paranormal investigator. More spectres more often, plus rewards from the jobs, and we'll have candy jars in no time.

We've added a woodworking bench here, and Phoebe crafted a large planter. Also recycling is here (so useful for getting rid of items you don't need!), and a small basement was added -- behold the stairs -- so there's somewhere more optimal to age nectar. 

Death flowers and spinach were moved to the planter. They're sheltered, but they'll grow. Death flowers take a while to grow though, so if I can find Roberto and get a free bottle of nectar, that's worth a shot. (I tested another save for 5 minutes. I moved a sim into the 50x50 Galloping Gulch log cabin, and Roberto was pretty much the first sim to show up with the welcome wagon. The sim got a bottle of vitality nectar within moments of starting out. It's that easy.) So Pansy and Phoebe need to explore town a bit and hopefully meet him.

Somehow, Reese felt loved by his mother who hates children -- exhibit A. Don't laugh!

... so Phoebe baked a cake to age him up. She still hasn't met Reese who lives in the same house, so she can't take care of him at all. It was all up to Pansy who was often painting. He is a top-notch infant.

That's Pansy + Jacques Villareal. I'm quite hopeful.

Fancy says goodnight. :)

-----

Next pulsating episode: a very dead, very surprising visitor shows up?!?! (So now we really need the nectar.) And Fancy the Horse goes Racing.

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2023, 12:03:14 PM »
Allow me to go through your heart-stopping episode again to comment on every little fascinating thing.
That Italian Equestrian Ranch lot really suits your style. Once you complete the facade renovation, I would love before and after shots. ;-)
Gorgeous shot of Phoebe cake-making with sunlight streaming through the kitchen windows!
Did you place the Duplantier something lot on Hallow Slough?

How crazy that Phoebe sat on a horse and maxed Horse Riding!
Sounds like you're enjoying raising a rescue Foal more than the new infant gameplay.  LOL!
Reese L'Amour as a toddler is very attractive!

Interesting that Movers & Shakers is your go-to place fo the "Be Asked for Selfies" task.
Mine had been Rattlesnake Juice Bar, but it let Prince down and he got his last two selfies at Desert Bloom Park.
That task is the most difficult part of the World-Famous Celebrity aspiration, eh?j

Thank you for sharing that the Unassuming Candy Jar is no hop, skip, and jump.
Perhaps it's time for me to let the next Mishmash heir try for that jar.
Haha, I've only ever had it while playing a Paranormal Investigator, but your endorsement makes me want it bad.

Thank you so much for the ongoing info & tips on nectar-brewing!
I need another week or so for another game, then I play to resume simming.
No Horse Ranch stuff in my legacy's immediate future, but I'm greatly enjoying Phoebe's adventures!
Also, I've never checked the Gallery so I'm super curious what Guidry & Temperance look as non-ghosts.

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2023, 02:42:52 PM »
@oshizu Yes, before and after pics! That's a fun idea. I find it takes a generation or two to work out the issues in a house, whether it's mine or not.

Here's a flavour. The first thing that bothered me, as I said in the thrilling episode, was the fact it's got towers (or if we're using McMansion vocab: Pringles cans) but overgrown and no windows. People in my life have impressed upon me their love of bay windows, and that's what i wanted. The back of the house has the morning sun, and it's criminal to not use that.

Thing #1, I added chimneys. The original does have fireplaces, but has no chimneys. I think it helps balance the look. There's some gorgeous stone one in hte new pack that match other stone wall textures.

Before:

After:

The windows don't match well, I know it's not uniform. I look at this pic, and I know what I want to change. :)

Before:

After:

The secance table is temporary. I don't like it there, and I'm thinking of a bay window seat like the other one. On the whole, I think opening up the towers is a win.

Exit Bunthorne.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2023, 10:21:23 PM »
What you did with the towers looks amazing.
Were the towers actually covered with the HSY ladders!?
The narrow, rounded windows look so much better and I like how you lessened the use brown accents (and lightened the exterior color?).
The bay-window seating looks fantastic with the sunlight coming in.
I'm completely unfamiliar with Italian architecture but blocking off half the tower with a wall doesn'twork for a warm, sunny locale like Chestnut Ridge.

You seem to be quite enjoying the remodeling! Rather like raising a rescue foal?
Thanks for sharing your before and atter pics.
How cool to get a glimpse of your thought process as you continue to remodel!

Offline Heart Foam

• Immortal
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2023, 04:28:02 PM »
4. Stay away from Jazz and Liquor!

(I love me a musical, and that's Chicago. Liquor somewhat features in this. I have rather rudely suggested you avoid Jazz, and this without much reason. It's true that the only real prejudice I hold is against the Australian cricket team, not Jazz. This feels tangential. Heart Foam, as you know is a nonsense poem in Patience. To understand it, you must cling to each other and think of faint lilies. This too feels tangential.) (Lettuce leave tangentials.)

In this pictorial episode: Jacques asks why Reese is asking why, Pansy does not smile, and Phoebe (probably) burns her feet.

Fancy a foal?

A fancy ranch.

Fancy nectar making inside the fancy ranch.

A 5-level skill. Phoebe has maxed it quickly, but Pansy -- who objects to squishing fruit with her feet and so would I -- is really taking her time. But that's fine. So long as we get the painting unlocks from her, she doesn't need to make nectar.

Fancy the adult horse.

My google searches tell me he's a leopard Appaloosa. I read up a little bit about them. And the pretty pattern comes with congenital night blindness. I question the ethics of breeding horses knowing full well Fancy can't see in low light.

The horse CAS stuff is exquisite. Some gorgeous colour options, but with Fancy I thought a pretty basic light / dark contrast would work well on him.

Fancy's first competition. I've been trying to enter into a competition every day, there's nothing lost by doing so. Phoebe's riding skill might make up for a deficit in Fancy's skills. He's also regularly going to skill training. I find his endurance goes up really quickly, but the jump training is a bit painful because you can't do a whole course. Just one jump. And then you loop around, and do the same jump again. The same for barrels and the agility skill. It's inefficient and a bit awful. 

Reese the Toddler asking dad why. Dad asking Reese the Toddler why. Yeah, Reese will max all his skills and get top notch. I can't help it.

Pansy headed off to the Magic Realm to hopefully buy death flowers. (In another save testing nectar values, this happened first time.) But Pansy was unsuccessful.

Phoebe did get a third selfie at Movers & Shakers very quickly after arriving. Sadly the animation glitched. It was with Travis. With that, all she needs is some hype and then she'll have unstoppable fame. I like that, because it takes away all the micro-managing to maintain fame.

So after Pansy's disappointment in the Magic Realm, we're here hoping Roberto Crinkletop will show up. It's the neighbourhood where he showed up for me in a test. So picturesque!

I suppose an actual Horse Person (no no, not like... biologically -- they just like horses) would tell me Fancy wouldn't be wearing socks out here. Or maybe they would. I have no idea. But he has one riding outfit, and that'll do. I love that picture.

I gave Roberto a while to show up, he didn't, and then I began wondering if he might show up at the bar. I had never been here. I'm exploring. One of the most beautiful lots that have shipped with any pack.

Phoebe did a bit of fame stuff.

No Roberto showed up here either. :/ It seems we'll have to wait for the death flowers to grow. No free Vitality Nectar in this save.

That evening, back at the ranch, somehow a ghost was kicking over the trash. None other than Mr Feel Excited himself. It was a full moon. Does that bring out ghosts? Blows my mind. And I want him in the family tree! And he's right there! Well, I don't really like Felix, but we're getting all the premade ghosts in the family tree. And he's right there! Still! Hasn't moved!

Naturally, Phoebe who exudes charisma, soon assailed the dear man and he was helpless to resist the Power of Friendship. He was invited to the household.

Yup, that's the paparazzi. They're just part of the scene. A big moment like this wouldn't feel right without the press! No, it's not a painful invasion of privacy. Your sims are jealous, and want their big moments invaded. Your sims text me. They say so. I bet you didn't know that until you read this. And who said the internet wasn't informative.

Eventually, the death flowers grow and Phoebe makes vitality nectar.

Each bottle has 4 servings, so immediately I'm thinking of using this on Mimsy and Bernard. We might as well.

I present you: Mr Felix Psyded, alive. A premade ghost from Discover University, usually lurking on campus at night. Quite a few sim days pass before I decide what to do with him. Without the hat and sideburns he's not terrible. But that's his look, and I don't feel it's right to alter him. I can't keep him here waiting for the child of Phoebe and Reese. I'm not having one sim hang around for 3 generations.

And with that, a visit to Windenburg.

Phoebe instantly befriended Bernard, and later Mimsy. But there's no option to add him to the household. I wondered if using de-deathify (and moving Morgyn Ember who knows the spell into the family while Morgyn is still alive -- otherwise I'd have to level up a spellcaster myself)... if de-deathify would work. Then Bernard would be human, and maybe then the option to invite him to the household will appear?

So I tried that in a test save. Bernard was de-deathified, still no option. With cheats on, sure, that's easy. Shift+click, add to family. (Interestingly, that created a brand new Bernard at the entrance of the lot.) For the Landgraab ghost dynasty save, what I've learned is that cheats will be required. --Whether Mimsy & Bernie are ghosts or not doesn't change anything. They have special coding, and by default that can't be invited to a household.

I reason that I might as well add them as ghosts and use the remaining glasses of nectar to revive them, get Mimsy pregnant, and move them out to a nice house. Otherwise, I'll have to open another bottle, and that stuff is expensive. Reviving them is easy, but getting everyone in the same family tree will take a while.

-----

Next time: Reese should age up any day now. I'm looking forward to that! Mimsy & Bernard should be in and out (I haven't done this yet), and Felix Psyded moves out because Another Woman is with child. Perhaps an obvious one. :)

Exit Bunthorne.

anything