Author Topic: Sims 3 - Tips for Serious Error Occurred and Error 12  (Read 1326 times)

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Sims 3 - Tips for Serious Error Occurred and Error 12
« on: May 10, 2023, 09:32:40 AM »
Sorry for the exhaustive list. There are many tips and tricks to help these errors. 

✽ Sims 3 Folder Open?: - Make sure the Sims 3 folder is -not- open or in-use in Windows Explorer.

✽ Run the EA App as Administrator: - Right-click the EA App icon and select Run as Administrator. ["C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\EA Desktop\EA Desktop\EADesktop.exe"]

✽ Turn Off In-Game Overlay: - It's recommended to Turn off the in-game overlay to help with conflicts between the EA App and the game.

Turn Off In-Game Overlay:
Click Menu (☰) up top left > Settings > Application > In-Game Overlay

✽ Check Online Storage: Uninstall, disable or pause syncing with any services you normally use, such as OneDrive, Google Drive or otherwise.

These services move your game files from [\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3] to where your game can't see them anymore.

✽ Before doing anything with OneDrive or GoogleDrive, if you have Sims 3 files there, copy them back to the C:\Users\Username\Documents\Electronic Arts folder. -- Right-click the Sims 3 folder and select Copy/Paste.

Then turn off, disable or uninstall the service. This way the game will be able to access your Sims 3 files again and won't move them.

✽ Turn off, disable, or uninstall OneDrive:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/turn-off-disable-or-uninstall-onedrive-f32a17ce-3336-40fe-9c38-6efb09f944b0

✽ Ensure Antivirus or security software is not blocking Sims 3, Launcher, EA App or Steam Launcher.

Add an exclusion to Windows Security:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/add-an-exclusion-to-windows-security-811816c0-4dfd-af4a-47e4-c301afe13b26

✽ Delete the files out of the CurrentGame.sims3 folder. [\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\CurrentGame.sims3] This folder collects files from time to time. The files normally get deleted after each game session. But sometimes doesn't. Check to see if you've got files in there and move or delete them.

✽ Don't use Save and Quit. This will will cause issues. Use Save As, give new or similar name.

✽ It's highly suggested to use Save As; Give new or similar name, and do this often. Give name such as Sunset Valley1, Sunset Valley2, Sunset Valley3, etc.

✽ Move most of your Save-games out of the Saves folder. [Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Saves]
Either delete them, or move them onto a folder on your desktop or usb key. Reason being having too many save-games in your Saves folder can cause saving issues.

✽ Delete the Games Cache Files: For reference the cache files can be found in [Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3] folder and are:

CasPartCache.package ; compositorCache.package ; scriptCache.package ;  simCompositorCache.package ; socialCache.package

Deleting these cache files help with troubleshooting issues with the game along with to clear the game's memory of the removed files.

✽ Don’t play long game sessions. Quit and restart the game in between. To me that means don't play for more than 2 hours before quitting and restarting the game.

✽ Overstuffed Personal/Family Inventories?: If you've got stuff in your family's inventory and personal inventory, check both to see what you can get rid of.

✽ Save the Sims 3 User Folder to Desktop: I like to save my Sims 3 folder to the desktop, usb drive or external hard drive and then clean out the Sims 3 folder in Documents to help with troubleshooting. Go to: [Documents\Electronic Arts] > right-click on the Sims 3 folder > copy/paste to desktop or usb drive.

I like to delete the files that are in:

– CurrentGame.Sims3: If your game has crashed, it's a good idea to delete the contents of this folder. It is a backup of a previous save. Not really current.
– DCBackup: all files - except for the ccmerged.package file. The file helps your store and other .Sims3Pack files work properly when installed via the Sims 3 Launcher.
– DCCache: Delete the missingdeps.idx file to help possibly refresh broken store content. Or when I have problem CC that just won't delete. I delete all files in this folder. **Be aware you will need to reinstall all your custom and store content that are .Sims3Pack files.
– Downloads: These files can be removed from this folder after being installed.
– Exports:The files can be removed from this folder.
– Library: After you've got Sims and lots installed into your save, you can remove these files.
– Recorded Videos: The files in this folder can be removed.
– Saved Sims: The files in this folder can be removed after added to your save file.
– Saves: Keep only a few (a handful) current saves in the folder. The rest can be removed to help game performance.
– Screenshots:Can be removed.
– SigCache: Information about activities in EADM and the Store. Files will be created again, if deleted. -  platform.bin: Probably some info about your Computer/OS -- igs.bin: Login-Data for the store.
– Thumbnails:  Cached thumbnail pics. Saved here for faster loading the next time you start your game. If you have any trouble with strange thumbnails in-game, delete these. They will be recreated next time you start the game, albeit a slightly slower game when it is first loaded, after the contents of this folder had been deleted.
– Sims3LauncherLogFile.log: This file tells you what happens when you try uploading/downloading to the Exchange. It might contain some useful info if you have trouble up- or downloading. - Safe to delete when troubleshooting.
– Sims3Logs.xml: A log file of your computer specs and some settings. Safe to delete from time to time.
– UserPresets.package: This file can be deleted from time to time. Specially if Create a Style is lagging. However, please remember any textures, colors saved will be removed from CAST.
– tslus.bin: Can be delete. Related to the Sims 3 Launcher. Not sure exactly what it does, but I've deleted it and game is okay.
– Version.tag: Can be deleted. It helps with Sims 3 Launcher issues like Downloading/Installing.

If you would like to learn more about Sims 3 user files, please see the article on ModtheSims:
Game Help:TS3 User Folders Explained: (https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS3_User_Folders_Explained)

When I'm having an issue with mods or custom content I delete all the files in my mods folder to start fresh. Use the tools mentioned in this post, or test them manually deleting the cache files between each small batch.

Usually I can find what mod(s) or custom content item(s) that are causing the issue. Delete them and find new copies or replacements.

Please Note: This method won't help troubleshoot issues with mods like the Lazy Duchess's Smooth Patch mod (https://modthesims.info/d/658759), As some of the files related to this mod get installed into a different (programs) folder.

+++  If none of the above helps, you might try running the Error Reporter via the EA App.  Share the report ID with EA Support or create a new post on answers.ea Sims 3 Tech Help Board.

https://help.ea.com/en-gb/help/ea/ea-app/run-ea-error-report

–Help > Vist AHQ; Error Reporter; Restart App and App Recovery:

Click Menu (☰) up top left > Help > select one of the options listed above.

–– You may need to contact EA Support.
https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/

If EA Support isn't being helpful either by email or live chat, or you want to see if you can get further help, you you might try posting on answers.ea Sims 3 Technical Help Board.

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-PC/bd-p/the-sims-3

The Sims 3 Community Managers and Helpers may not able to able to help with account issues, but they can usually get players in contact with someone who can.

----

Note: This post has been locked as it's for informational purposes.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *