Author Topic: Not Just a Garden Variety Challenge  (Read 7009 times)

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Not Just a Garden Variety Challenge
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2023, 02:37:22 PM »
Roberta Plant finished up with a Market Day score of $1755 and career level 5, so 1.25.

Total = 2193.

Offline Vesper

• Occult
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2023, 04:16:53 PM »
I had some glitches where the plants reverted to dirt piles and I didn't realize they would stay that way so please put me down as DNF.

this is a real pain, sorry that it messed up the challenge for you. I missed out on harvesting nine plants because of this but luckily enough others were still functional.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Vesper

• Occult
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2023, 04:18:04 PM »
Roberta Plant finished up with a Market Day score of $1755 and career level 5, so 1.25.

Total = 2193.

Please tell me you made Roberta a lookalike :)

Offline Nandarelle

• Townie
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2023, 04:22:59 PM »
Market Day: § 42688
Career multiplier: 1.45

Unique deaths: 2 (what do you mean that's not part of this challenge?)

Score: § 61897

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2023, 04:24:02 PM »
Please tell me you made Roberta a lookalike :)

Well, sort of. Lol. I did give her long blonde hair like Robert Plant.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/4e/e1/9c/4ee19c451bd2e2c616644fac0b9fe1c5.jpg

I know Robert does enjoy farming. :)

Offline Elinoee

• Townie
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2023, 05:19:43 PM »
Hello! I'm happy to be here with you again  :)   It has been a while.
My sims usually love gardening so I really wanted to try this one!

My gardener ended up at level 6 of her career which means a multiplier of 1.30 (I'm wondering how some of you did manage to get to level 9 or 10 of the career!)
She managed to sell for 64519 $ on unique plants on market day  :)

Final score: 83874,7 $

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2023, 06:11:27 PM »
Great score, @Elinoee. Welcome back. :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Eighty8Keys

• Townie
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2023, 07:53:23 PM »
Market Day: § 23832
Career multiplier: 1.30

Score: § 30,981

Offline mismck

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Townie
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2023, 08:37:49 PM »
Ran out of human time (actually fell asleep this afternoon instead of finishing my game file).

DNF

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2023, 06:20:11 AM »
This challenge is now closed.

Grats to Elinoee on this win. It's great to see her back. I did a little digging in the Graveyard and saw that 2020 was her last events. And she did really well that year and won a handiness event beating both Sruixan and Nikitachi, both World Champions in their own right.

Everyone is now free to discuss their strategy.

Offline Vesper

• Occult
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2023, 06:42:14 AM »
Congrats to Elinoee, what a challenge for a flower bunny to return for.

I underestimated how much you could make by plants. Thought it wouldn't matter if I didn't have all types if some were only worth 5 simoleons or so - this was very wrong.

Plants turning into dirt piles was a pain. I didn't get to harvest nine of my (smaller) selection due to this including a money tree which was the biggest loss. Then on the final morning everything except for one plant vanished (bird of paradise was the one that survived for some reason). This meant that I only got one harvest on market day too. I thought it was only if you were off lot at 5am that plants reverted to dirt piles but found this is not the case.

Filled my first ever magic bean tree with this challenge. It took so long to get the death flower I desperately wanted from rare seed packets and just got loads of magic beans. Will experiment with a plant sim now the challenge is done.

To get to level 10 of the career I got connections day one giving a higher starting point, though cut it close as got the job at 23:40 approx and so didn't have time to cycle through other jobs first to get the rewards. Then used wishing well mainly. Actually got demoted once despite having the good face which I didn't know could happen. Made the money for this through gardening and flower arranging, plus went on a club swiping trip once to mix things up a bit.

Also, thanks to Metro sharing that picture of a beautiful Robert Plant gardening I have been singing adapted songs to myself all day. My favourite being Babe I'm Gonna Weed You.

Offline Elinoee

• Townie
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2023, 07:09:15 AM »
Thanks @Metropolis Man for your welcoming! It really touches me.
I had much fun doing challenges here a few years ago (2020! I din't thought it was SO long ago!) but was not inspirated anymore lately.
I really didn't expect to win this one but really wanted to have a try because I love gardening with my sims  :D

@Vesper , thank you! You're right, it was the perfect challenge for my return  ;) 
I'm impressed that you managed to get connections reward on day one! I even didn't think of it.
And moreover you got enough reward points to get the money tree, wow!

So here is my strategy :

I installed my sim in Henford on Bagley (which doesn't really matter).
What matters is that i made him buy all the possible seeds at the Henford’s market, going there every day to look for what i did not yet have. They often sell some rare products (for an example, I managed to get death flower and dragon fruit).

I planted everything I could outdoors (one specimen of each plant) depending on the season (I set autumn on 28 days and finally managed to have 42 different plants growing outside) because in general the plants are doing better than under cover.
I put plants that were out of season in a greenhouse (I had 32 different growing plants at the end).

While I got most of my seeds at Henford’s market I also had some thanks to my scarecrow by searching in his pockets (orchids!) ,harvest some mushrooms and raspberry in the forest near to my house and bought growfruit seed at Granite Falls camping stand.

I also had 2 bee houses, one outside and one in the greenhouse, in order to pollinate the plants. I befriended the bees every day and made them pollinate the plants.
I fertilized the plants that give the most expensive products with growfruits.

My gardener also planted the 5 different giant vegetables and gave them as better fertilizer as possible each day.
They were ready to harvest a few days before market day but I let them wait!

4 days before market day I began not to harvest my plants, so that they would have the max of products on them for market day.

I saved all my aspirations points to buy the money tree, and it did grow a few days before market day.
This one gave me much money, and what gave me also much money was the vendor table: I set the earnings at 300% and sold my most expensive vegetables on it on market day, doing a “garage sale” in front of my house: giant vegetables, death flowers, orchids and dragon fruits gave me 1500 to 2500 $ each.

I sold the other products just by clicking on them while harvesting.
I did the harvesting process 2 times during the 24 hours of market day: first time at week 2,day 7, 8 am and second time at week 3, day 1, 5 am (as soon as the new products popped up on some of the plants).
I was lucky not to have the bug of plants becoming dirt piles!

For the gardener career, I tried to be one day working from home and the next day going to work, in order to progress quickly. And I always went to work in a good mood (energized or focused).
But that was sure not the best strategy, @Nandarelle and @Vesper did this much better!

Very happy to be with you all again   :D

Offline sone

• Occult
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2023, 07:19:46 AM »
Woke up to see final scores and winner and...I didn't post my score. If its too late I'll accept it, I thought I posted yesterday before we went to play DnD  :-\

Selina Rees had a market day value of 10,051 at Botanist lv 8 for a multiplier of 1.40, giving her a score of 14,071.4.

Sadly things didn't go so smoothly, and the money tree never progressed past sprout. It was a very fun challange.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2023, 07:19:53 AM »
Also, thanks to Metro sharing that picture of a beautiful Robert Plant gardening I have been singing adapted songs to myself all day. My favourite being Babe I'm Gonna Weed You.

*groans* I just laughed out loud at that. Oh, yeah...I am a HUUUGE Zep fan. I played drums in a high school rock band and John Bonham is the man.

------------

EDIT:

Woke up to see final scores and winner and...I didn't post my score. If its too late I'll accept it, I thought I posted yesterday before we went to play DnD  :-\

Selina Rees had a market day value of 10,051 at Botanist lv 8 for a multiplier of 1.40, giving her a score of 14,071.4.

Sadly things didn't go so smoothly, and the money tree never progressed past sprout. It was a very fun challange.

Ugh. :( I would love to accept your score, sone, but that's one thing I really have to take a hard stance on is posting time. I am so sorry. I was really surprised when I did not see a score from you yesterday because so far this year you have perfect participation. :) Hit it out of the park with Baby Boomer and you'll be right back in the chase. :)

Offline sone

• Occult
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2023, 07:27:11 AM »
Perfect participation was actually hugely important to me for this year too, like...I'm really disappointed I messed up like that. I actually finished it early and then went out of the house and I guess I didn't hit send or something before turning off my computer.

I don't suppose I could ask for a DNF?

anything