Author Topic: Growing Together ~ First Impressions thread  (Read 6043 times)

Offline scoed

• Watcher
Growing Together ~ First Impressions thread
« on: March 15, 2023, 08:32:09 PM »
I am so excited for this pack. Tomorrow it goes live. Unfortunately even though I have it oreordered I likely will not be able to play it do to starting a new job till Monday. Because of this I will be exploring this pack though my fellow simmers intel then. MrsFlynn asked me to start a Growing Together ~ First Impressions thread, and I am happy to do so as it will allow me to enjoy the pack though your experiences even if I have to wait until Monday. So share your thoughts on Growing Together. Share the good, the bad and the other. Is it worth the money? Do you enjoy it? Help those deciding on this pack decide if it is worth it. And help me explore this pack through you until I can do so on my own. Thanks and happy simming.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Everything in life is here to drive you crazy. R.T
Re: Growing Together ~ First Impressions thread
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2023, 04:06:14 PM »
I think I'm going to have several first impressions posts. Right now, I've been too busy with infant care to explore social compatibility, the new world, or anything else. Growing Together adds a few more interactions between parents and infants -- Tummy Time, Practice Walking, and Put Infant in Carrier. Because I started playing with the infant on Tuesday, he had 17 milestones already. He has picked up another 2, and has to get one more before he can try finger foods in the high chair. He has 3 quirks -- Good Eater, Snuggly Sleeper, and Messy Eater.

The parents had milestones, too -- 4 for the mother and 6 for the father, who had a job and a first promotion. As far as I can tell, skills and aspirations don't feed into the milestones. Dad has maxed painting and completed the Painter Extraordinaire aspiration, but you wouldn't know it from his milestones.

I've had one bug -- when the infant is set down next to the kitchen counters, he stretches to the height of a child and then springs back to normal size. I figure they'll fix this soon.

I'm not going to gush about how adorable the infants are because I know there are some people who can't play with them just yet. And I'm glad I pre-ordered, because I was able to download as soon as I turned on my game. It looks like many people on the official forum are having problems getting the pack.
When the Zombies Come(Completed)--100 Nooboos Nabbed

Enjoy writing stories? Please check the Rules for Stories before posting.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 06:18:27 PM »
I decided sleep is gor the gead and played Sims today instead. Yes I am an addict. May the Gods of Caffeine keep me awake at work today. As I failed to sleep, but boy did I have fun.

I too will brake down this pack in multiple mini threads. I am having fun, but there is just too much going on with this pack so I am breaking it down by age. I will start with the only age I have focused on, infants.

@MarianT You missed a few that are unlocked that are added Praxtice crawling and practice standing. Maybe I am too. I am loving this. Infants are so needdy with is pack with all the milestones to unlock to progress the infant. Social and physical skills need training. Add in needs and confidence concerns and this is an actual challenge for once. I love this. They even have hidden traits you don't choose thst pop up and make things even more fun. I am still not 100% sure how the traits unlock at this age works. I hven't even aged an infant up yet. THey arw cute. This pack changes this age completely. I love it.

So fart I love this pack. Best bange for my buck yet. It is in serous contention for the best pack ever and I just narely scratched the surface.

Sadly I too had a bug. Things queued up to do with the infants sometimes just dropped for no reason I could see. Minor thing but it was there.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2023, 07:16:15 PM »
@scoed, I'm not surprised you decided to go without sleep to play with this. I haven't had this much fun with parents and children since the first time I had to deal with twins in TS2. As for things dropping out of queue, I don't know if that's a bug or the parent or infant not feeling like doing what you want.

One question I had before getting the pack was what the player could opt out of. You can choose not to get self-discovery traits at all. And even if you do get them, you can always choose not to take a trait.

You can opt out of lay-offs; your Sim will never lose a job because of down-sizing or something.

You cannot opt out of quirks for infants and toddlers except by aging them up early. It looks like you can't opt out of a midlife crisis or burnout.

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2023, 03:50:54 AM »
OK post number two on this pack. Best pack yet. The additions to kids adds a lot. Family dynamics. Small details added to everything are fun. Sims seems to have more personality and more randomness is fun. Deepest game play in one pack. Game play though had a few issues, like I found a small treehouse bug. Lack of new death is a let down.Still the new game play adds challenge. varsity of personality, and randomness. All very needed. It refreshes Children and younger in a huge way and adds minor refreshes like midlife crises. I give Gameplay and solid an A+.

CAS add more masculine clothes than most packs. Some I would actually wear a very rare thing  The feminine offerings are anything special. Infant cloths are so cool. All in all I like the CAS orderings. The infant offerings are a must. CAS gets an B+.

Buld/buy seems a bit lacking. Love the treehouse even if buggy. The splash items are fun. The new lot type has its uses. The stuff for Infants and toddlers is so needed and kid bike are cool. The rest is forgettable in my mind. I give build/buy a solid B.

The new world is honestly boring. The theater is fun as is the splash park. But it feels boring to me as a whole. It is like we been there done that. It is the second world based on San Francisco, The walking trails is a been there done that thing. It best offering is the rare 64 by 64 lot. It isn't poorly done but still. It gets a C.

As a whole this is an strong pack and I love it. It has its flaws and bugs, for sure. I just get over how much game play is in this pack. The only pack close is Seasons. There is so much game play after hous of pllay I have not explored it all. There has been LOL moments as well. It has the fun humor that sold me on th franchise that sometimes The Sims 4 neglects. So many small details in the play experience makes this a must own in my mind. If you like family game play at all this is a must have. Final  grade is the highest I ever gave a Sims expansion, It is an A. It is far better then expected by me and I had high hopes for this pack.

@MartianT it was constant and the parent were in good moods. The infant eeded care so, sometimes not so much. I found by limiting the number of thins qued to three or less it happened much less. I still think it was a minor bug, but not game braking.But having to que a diaper change and a bath after a blow out multiple times was annoying. The fact my infant had a blow out made me smile. So did when it peed all over her mother. Fun things that reminded me of changing diaper's when my niece was young. So much going on in this pack. I love it.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2023, 12:35:56 PM »
@scoed
Considering the San Sequoia naming and the view of the (Golden Gate) bridge, I was thinking the new town might be based on San Rafael, which is north of SF.

Offline Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2023, 01:29:10 PM »
Infants.  I already hated toddlers, but tolerated them because Top Notch Toddler is worth getting, and then I age them up early.  But now a new stage that's far, far needier?  I tried.  But the breaking point was when the baby FINALLY rolled over for the first time.  And the next milestone was... roll over THE OTHER WAY.  This is only going to be tolerable with extensive use of cheats.

Everything else?  Love it!  Treehouses, sleeping bags, extended visits, expanded likes and dislikes, more meaningful compatibility, that stuff is great.  The world is pretty dull unless you build some stuff to make things more interesting.  I do like that it's a mild-winter zone.

Something I saw happen that I thought was pretty cool:  My sim had Spooky music playing at home, which she likes.  A visitor showed up, and he dislikes Spooky music.  They started bickering about it!  They otherwise have Good compatibility, so that was a neat touch.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2023, 06:15:31 PM »
@oshizu The gurus said it was inspired by San Francisco suburbs. We have 11 worlds based on west coast US states already yet only 4 or 5 (Island living could be forien or US based I am not sure) outside of the US. We have a huge over saturation of worlds based on Washington/Oregon/California. We need worlds based on anywhere else.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2023, 12:47:28 PM »
@oshizu The gurus said it was inspired by San Francisco suburbs. We have 11 worlds based on west coast US states already yet only 4 or 5 (Island living could be forien or US based I am not sure) outside of the US. We have a huge over saturation of worlds based on Washington/Oregon/California. We need worlds based on anywhere else.
Well, San Rafael is just north of San Francisco.
Just trying to share information not arguing that we don't need worlds based on other cultures.  (Kinda feels like you're lecturing me...)
As a person of color, I would love new worlds that aren't derivative of North America and Western Europe.
I would especially love a world based on Latin America culture that's not a vacation destination.

Offline scoed

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2023, 07:35:56 AM »
@oshizu It was not my intent to lecture you. I'd it felt that way I am sorry.  I am just feeling we are getting the same world repackaged for the new gameplay. I am just venting my frustration in the sameness of it all. I would love to see a Latin world we could live in, an African one, or the middle east. Anything but another west cost US world. Don't get me wrong I love some of the gameplay in some of these worlds. But we been there done that and I want something new. Anyway it is my boredom in world choice that made it sound like that. I do appreciate your take. I just will not be happy with any world based on California/Oregon/Washington. At least until we visit more of the world, that is all I was getting at. Unless someone picking the worlds is reading this I am not intending a lecture anyone here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2023, 02:12:00 PM »
scoed
Thank you for the clarification.  I was hoping that I hadn't somehow angered you over a game.  *winks
Let's hope that the next world will take us somewhere exotic, shall we?  Morocco would be awesome!

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2023, 04:19:28 PM »
Second report on first impressions:

My biggest gripe is that we didn't get this pack sooner, like right after toddlers. I love everything about the infants. Yes, they're demanding, but manageable if you have a stay-at-home parent. Having seen only 4 infants, I haven't experienced every quirk yet, but they do give the infants more personality. And the quirks for toddlers are good, too.

So far, all the things contributing to social compatibility are in the background for me. At some point I will start giving my Sims the new likes and dislikes -- maybe 2 of each -- to make their socializing more interesting. Just knowing that Sims' interactions can consist of something more than a non-music lover Sim feeling bored when a music lover tries to talk about bands is worthwhile.

Bike riding, the treehouse, and jigsaw puzzles are great additions for children, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the loose tooth scenarios when the bug is fixed.

The changes for adults are probably the biggest surprise. Burn-out when my music lover spends hours writing a song? Oh dear. And the mid-life crisis is a big improvement on the one from TS3. So far, no rivals at work.

Is the pack perfect? No. Trying to throw a baby shower at the recreation center was disappointing. I would recommend a baby shower at home, and sending only 1 or 2 Sims to the rec center. It's a popular place. There are a couple of glitches that can show up with infants -- stretching and getting stuck to a parent's foot. Both either reset quickly or disappear when I exit and start up again. If you want an adult to teach a child how to ride a bike, they need to be in a fairly clear space. And even then there might be some clipping.
It doesn't bother me that an infant's food preferences can change; they do in real life, too.

My biggest concern was that I wouldn't be able to play rotationally. Some people reported that one infant's milestones would disappear when they switched households. I haven't had that problem. Infants in non-played households do act like infants from the patch, though -- able to crawl and sit up from the beginning -- so that might be what they're experiencing. I would say rather that I don't have to play rotationally in order to keep from getting bored. Two parents and an infant can provide plenty of entertainment now.

Offline MarianT

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2023, 04:58:23 PM »
I spoke too soon. After being away from him for 2 Sim weeks, I've found that Michael Bachelor (Bella's son) has only 2 milestones -- being born and first smile. Sigh.

Offline ihateforums

• Nooboo
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2023, 05:05:10 PM »
Infants.  I already hated toddlers, but tolerated them because Top Notch Toddler is worth getting, and then I age them up early.  But now a new stage that's far, far needier?  I tried.  But the breaking point was when the baby FINALLY rolled over for the first time.  And the next milestone was... roll over THE OTHER WAY.  This is only going to be tolerable with extensive use of cheats.

Ugh, I knew it.  /sits with you on the Pixel Childcare Isn't Fun bench

Offline margreen

• Nooboo
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2023, 09:06:42 AM »
Second report on first impressions:

My biggest gripe is that we didn't get this pack sooner, like right after toddlers. I love everything about the infants. Yes, they're demanding, but manageable if you have a stay-at-home parent. Having seen only 4 infants, I haven't experienced every quirk yet, but they do give the infants more personality. And the quirks for toddlers are good, too.

So far, all the things contributing to social compatibility are in the background for me. At some point I will start giving my Sims the new likes and dislikes -- maybe 2 of each -- to make their socializing more interesting. Just knowing that Sims' interactions can consist of something more than a non-music lover Sim feeling bored when a music lover tries to talk about bands is worthwhile.

Bike riding, the treehouse, and jigsaw puzzles are great additions for children, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the loose tooth scenarios when the bug is fixed.

The changes for adults are probably the biggest surprise. Burn-out when my music lover spends hours writing a song? Oh dear. And the mid-life crisis is a big improvement on the one from TS3. So far, no rivals at work.

Is the pack perfect? No. Trying to throw a baby shower at the recreation center was disappointing. I would recommend a baby shower at home, and sending only 1 or 2 Sims to the rec center. It's a popular place. There are a couple of glitches that can show up with infants -- stretching and getting stuck to a parent's foot. Both either reset quickly or disappear when I exit and start up again. If you want an adult to teach a child how to ride a bike, they need to be in a fairly clear space. And even then there might be some clipping.
It doesn't bother me that an infant's food preferences can change; they do in real life, too.

My biggest concern was that I wouldn't be able to play rotationally. Some people reported that one infant's milestones would disappear when they switched households. I haven't had that problem. Infants in non-played households do act like infants from the patch, though -- able to crawl and sit up from the beginning -- so that might be what they're experiencing. I would say rather that I don't have to play rotationally in order to keep from getting bored. Two parents and an infant can provide plenty of entertainment now.
Hello everyone! Just wanted to share my take on the new Sims pack and growing Sim kids. Gotta say, it's been a rollercoaster, but my experience has been completely opposite to what you mentioned.

Firstly, about those infants - they're way more demanding than I expected. Even with a stay-at-home parent, it's been a struggle to keep up with their needs. Not speaking about personality quirks...

The whole social compatibility thing didn't do much for me. I tried giving my Sims likes and dislikes, but it didn't spice up their interactions like I hoped. Same old conversations(( So I don't know what to do anymore, but after checking this website about ethics essays, I understood a few social principles and needs. So I know better now how a community cell, that is the family, should be to grow together a descendant. On the source, I read a few analysis of books that are about social and community ethics, that was interesting.

Now, the changes for adults? Meh. No burn-out or mid-life crises for my Sims. And no rivalries at work either, which I was kinda looking forward to. It's been a bit dull in their adult lives, to be honest.

Here's the thing, though. I haven't had the same rotational gameplay issues as others. The milestones have been consistent across households for me. Non-played infants act just like regular ones. Ok, fortunately and at least, no major problems there.