Author Topic: March Madness: Emotional Rollercoaster  (Read 7624 times)

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
March Madness: Emotional Rollercoaster
« on: February 27, 2023, 10:01:12 AM »
March Madness: Emotional Rollercoaster

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Ah, life. So, full of ups and downs. Your Sims feel that, too, with all their drama on grand display. They're sure to get their fill of the emotional gauntlet in this challenge.

Challenge Rules
  • Remember, the General Rules apply to all Tournament challenges. Exceptions may be noted below.
  • In CAS (no Story Mode), create one Young Adult Sim (any life state).
  • Additions to the household and moving the household may only happen in Live Mode - no using the Household Management screen.
  • If your original Sim should die before household additions, post your score as DNF. If your original Sim dies after household additions, continue with the other Sims.
  • You're trying to attain all emotions in the game listed in the table below.
  • Everyone is allowed two "freebies," i.e., you can scratch off two emotions.
  • If you run out of time and have not seen all possible emotions in the game, post your score as DNF.

Scoring
This challenge concludes when your household has seen all possible game emotions and all their variations. Pause your game at that moment, note your Week, Day, and time, and enter the information into the spreadsheet for your Total Time. Here is a table listing all game emotions to help keep you organized:

Base Emotion             Variant                    Extreme Variant       
AngryVery AngryEnraged
Bored----
ConfidentVery Confident--
Dazed----
EmbarrassedVery EmbarrassedMortified
EnergizedVery Energized--
Fine----
FlirtyVery Flirty--
FocusedVery Focused--
HappyVery Happy--
InspiredVery Inspired--
PlayfulVery PlayfulHysterical
UncomfortableVery Uncomfortable--
SadVery Sad--
Scared--Terrified
TenseVery Tense--
Asleep----
Possessed----

A Few Additional Specifics:
The team does not want to edit and change the ruleset once this event goes live, but we may have to. If an exploit is brought to our attention or we discover something else, we may ask affected players to redo their effort.

If you have questions and need clarifications, ask away — you can either post your questions in this thread, or if you feel a question might reveal a particular strategy you are considering, then feel free to PM the team. Choose the My Messages tab > Send Message > Send to Group (show membergroups) > Check the Challenge Board Moderator group.

The winner will be announced the Monday following the closing date below. Once the event has closed, everyone is encouraged to discuss how they approached the event, and the winner is expected to do so in detail.

This Event is Now Closed

Player                            Total Time (minutes)
jesslc463
Nandarelle865
mismck1268
sone1427
Eighty8Keys6241
Metropolis Man7405
TeresaDNF
VesperDNF

Offline sone

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Occult
Re: March Madness: Emotional Rollercoaster
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 04:57:06 AM »
For the rule 'After a household member attains the Basket Case achievement, you can scratch off one required emotion from the table below.', does that mean that we can 'skip' an emotional state from the list?
Also, does this challenge require the Strangeville expansion for the Possessed state?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 06:08:08 AM »
For the rule 'After a household member attains the Basket Case achievement, you can scratch off one required emotion from the table below.', does that mean that we can 'skip' an emotional state from the list?
Also, does this challenge require the Strangeville expansion for the Possessed state?

Good questions, sone. The challenge does not require Strangerville. Players who do not have Strangerville can scratch (skip) possessed after attaining basket case. If players do have Strangerville, they have the option of scratching (skipping) any emotion from the list after attaining Basket Case.

Edit:

I was rereading the edits I made earlier today, and they seemed wordy. I think these are more clear:

• If you have Strangerville after a household member attains the Basket Case achievement, you can scratch off (skip) any required emotion from the table below.
  • If you do not have Strangerville scratch (skip) Possessed after attaining Basket Case.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2023, 08:14:16 AM »
This challenge starts Monday, so please take one more look at the rules and ask any final questions you may have. Good luck, everyone.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2023, 07:12:49 PM »
Apologies for this late change. If you have used Manage Household, you can restart your file.

• Additions to the household and moving the household may only happen in Live Mode - no using the Household Management screen.

Offline Vesper

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 09:52:42 AM »
didn't want to start the results with a bummer but please mark me as DNF.

Will likely never achieve Basket Case in this challenge or out. Look forward to reading how it's done though, of course.

Offline jesslc

• Townie
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2023, 09:03:38 PM »
@Vesper - I don't know if this is problem you were having but something I discovered while researching info about basketcase last week is that some people have had trouble with triggering the achievement but sending their Sim to sleep made it pop up. Perhaps the team would be willing to let you reopen your file to try this (if you didn't already try it).

I've had to do it in my game to get the achievement both in practice and in the real thing. Though in my second practice run I couldn't trigger basketcase at all even with sending my sim to sleep but all the other times it worked. I assume the game must have missed registering one of the emotion in the second practice run but I couldn't figure out what, so I just abandon that practice and started over. (Thankfully that was not my real file or I would've had to go through them all again & hope)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Teresa

• Immortal
  • Teresa
    • Love My Sims
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2023, 09:15:12 PM »
I was doing so well and then she died, with 3 emotions remaining.  :(
2024 Tournament: Join the Fun!
My Tournament Updates: Coming 2024
Love My Sims: Completing challenges and legacies since May 7, 2007

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2023, 11:34:34 PM »
@Vesper - I don't know if this is problem you were having but something I discovered while researching info about basketcase last week is that some people have had trouble with triggering the achievement but sending their Sim to sleep made it pop up. Perhaps the team would be willing to let you reopen your file to try this (if you didn't already try it).

I've had to do it in my game to get the achievement both in practice and in the real thing. Though in my second practice run I couldn't trigger basketcase at all even with sending my sim to sleep but all the other times it worked. I assume the game must have missed registering one of the emotion in the second practice run but I couldn't figure out what, so I just abandon that practice and started over. (Thankfully that was not my real file or I would've had to go through them all again & hope)
I believe all of the base emotion states are required for basketcase except Scared and Possessed, which were added to the game after the achievement was established. Asleep and Fine are the two most often missed.

Offline Vesper

• Occult
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2023, 06:16:28 AM »
@Vesper - I don't know if this is problem you were having but something I discovered while researching info about basketcase last week is that some people have had trouble with triggering the achievement

Thanks for the thought and suggestion jesslc. My problem was not with the triggering of the achievement but that I couldn't get through all the emotions quickly enough. Sometimes research and strategy aren't enough - I need to be capable of the gameplay too lol.

Hope everyone else is getting on OK with this one.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2023, 09:38:35 AM »
The team is seeking feedback from others on whether to cancel the current iteration of this challenge and restart the event Monday with a modified ruleset. What's everyone think? What changes would you like to see? There's nothing wrong with having a tough event, but if multiple players are not able to finish because of certain requirements, then it would be in everyone's best interest to reevaluate.

Thanks. 

-------------------

EDIT:

To expedite the process and allow players to practice tomorrow (Sunday), the team made the simple solution to drop the Basket Case requirement. Easy Peasy.

Note the changed starting date (Monday).

Hopefully this will make things more doable for everyone. Sorry for the changes at the last minute.

Offline Vesper

• Occult
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2023, 03:52:57 PM »
Sounds good to me. Getting all the different emotions is still quite challenging.

But maybe Basket Case isn't difficult for everyone. It would be a shame if there were players who were doing well with the previous rules and have to start again.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2023, 04:02:27 PM »
Sounds good to me. Getting all the different emotions is still quite challenging.

But maybe Basket Case isn't difficult for everyone. It would be a shame if there were players who were doing well with the previous rules and have to start again.

It was a tough call. :( I'm not sure this scenario has ever happened in 14 years. A restart for everyone. Maybe. I needed to talk to the team and make a decision pretty quickly. I think everyone will have a smoother time. *fingers crossed*

Offline jesslc

• Townie
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2023, 03:05:39 AM »
I already finished the challenge with the original rules the other day. I didn't post my score when replying to Vesper (though I did actually mention having done basketcase) because I thought it might possibly give something away about my strategy. Instead I planned to post my score this evening before the closing date in my timezone but now I discover that you've changed both the rules and the start date at the last minute??

I'm not willing to start this challenge over as I'm very busy for the next week so I hope you will accept my score for this now regardless. Leaving the basketcase achievement out wouldn't have made a big difference to my final time anyway. Getting to scratch off 2 emotions for free instead of just 1 would've no doubt saved me some time but not a huge amount. (For what it's worth, I think you should leave that as people just get 1 freebie).

Edited to add - Looking at the post timestamps, I feel I should also mention that 9 am to 4pm on the 11th March is barely more than ¼ of day for us to give the feedback you were asking for. With time zone differences on top of that, I'm not surprised that you only got one response from players in that time. Not entirely sure what time that was here (probably 9pm or something like that) but I'm not usually on this forum after dinner except when I'm only just finishing off a challenge before the midnight deadline.

---

This was short and sweet for me thanks to researching and managing to get in several practice runs last week. And I had a few things end up going more smoothly than in my practice runs for which I'm very grateful.

We finished on Sunday 3.43pm for a total of 463 min (according to the spreadsheet).

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2023, 06:27:57 AM »
@jesslc - your score is accepted. And thanks for the honest opinions.

--------------

EDIT: Anyone who intended on posting their score today (Sunday) following the previous rules with Basket Case required is free to do so, and their score will be accepted.