Author Topic: How to make my game run smooth? (Not Solved)  (Read 6204 times)

Offline ModHunter

• Townie
How to make my game run smooth? (Not Solved)
« on: November 05, 2022, 03:34:06 PM »
Hello.

I have seen a lot of threads in this section about graphic cards... and here's another one.

Before I got TS 4 I really enjoyed playing TS3. But it does not run very well and I could never figure out why. Just to try things out I did jump in today (My TS3 game is on a separate desktop) and played two ingame days in the Isla Paradiso world (Yes, it's the "worst" of the worlds but I wanted to try it again). The first day was fine (aside from a few cases of freeze when the game was on fast forward during the night). But my sims were at home.  On the next day they both went to work. On of them is a lifeguard and I could see that things really began to slow down during the day. When she got home I had a "micro freeze" every 2:nd step my sim took. Not very fun to play is it..?

My theory is that something is faulty and that this is getting worse and worse the longer the game is played. But what? I have some Nraas mods that help me deal with things (Over Watch, Register, Error Trap  and Master Controller). (You do not want to know how bad the world did play before the mods, trust me  :P ). I would suspect overheating but the program that controls the GPU (Asus GPU Tweak 2) the GPU is just about 30 degrees Celsius (colder then me then, I'm about 37 degrees Celsius).But the GPU speed is 100%. What does that mean? I leave my specs below. I can dig more next weekend, I will not hock that computer up tomorrow.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i3-8100 3,60GHz
GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050Ti
Ram: 8 GB
Unpopular opinion: I like the Sims 4

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: How to make my game run smooth?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 04:14:45 PM »
You may have seen these thread before, but they have some tips on making Island Paradise run a bit smoother. Plus the 2nd thread has a save file from Ciane that has some of the families removed and things like that. Also adding a mod link from ModtheSims and a Performance and Bug Fix Guide from Steam.

IP lag/freeze issues
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=32370.msg513655#msg513655

Removing IP Lag
https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/811253/removing-ip-lag/p1

There's a mod that helps with the IP Lag as well:

Reduce/Remove Lag caused by Houseboats
https://modthesims.info/d/665907/reduce-remove-lag-caused-by-houseboats.html

The Sims 3 Performance & Bug Fix Guide
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1131162350
-- This guide works for all versions of Sims 3 (Steam, Disc, Origin/EA App)

GPU speed at 100% is fine as long as it spike in temperature.  Keep an eye on it while you play. Don't play for longer than a few hours at a time and reboot the computer every now and then.
Welcome!! We hope you enjoy the forum!!  Thank you for visiting!!
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ModHunter

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2022, 05:33:16 AM »
Typical, now that I need the MTS website it throws a Host Error. Oh well, I just wanted to check something I did post there once about my FPS in game because I think it's low. I think I get around 60 or so. I will check that later... (Don't trust this number, I don't remember).

What I do remember is that I was told to move all sims that were living on houseboats and put them into houses. This have been done. When I did check the world in "Edit world" I could not discover any homes outside the islands (on water). I was also informed that the home of the Ichtaca family is problematic and back then I did discover some issues with the lot. I think I moved the family but I'm not sure...

in the post from deedee_828 (first link in the post from MrsFlynn) it is mentioned that there is a setting in Nraas Register mod for trafic and animals. This is very worth looking into of course. I hope it can be set just to effect this world. There is one Nraas mod controlling traffic already but it only kicks in early in the morning and removes vehicles, turns of stereos and TV-sets. And it also spams me with messages about sims that are "stuck" (the NPC's are in fact stuck but without reason for being so and that's is a problem in all worlds).

Offline ModHunter

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2022, 07:59:39 AM »
Now the MTS website did work. I found two threads by me that covers the problems I am experiencing.

https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=638435

https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=629811

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2022, 02:41:15 PM »
60 fps is what I have mine set for.  The post linked below is more geared to Sims 4, but can be applied to Sims 3.

Frames Per Second (FPS) Tips
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=27183.msg450945#msg450945

I just wanted to check something I did post there once about my FPS in game because I think it's low. I think I get around 60 or so. I will check that later... (Don't trust this number, I don't remember).
–Need Help? Check our Member FAQs Here. * –Read and follow the Forum Rules, please! *

Offline ModHunter

• Townie
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2022, 12:06:08 PM »
I always thought that higher fps was better but I was told that it wasn't so. And now that I have been told this a second time I can believe it.  :) I did read the guide on Steam ond the mod that is being mentioned under "Step 1" is very interesting. But what version should I download? The latest? I will have to download it on my Linux computer and transfer it over as the W7 computer is not connected to the internet (and in 2022 the OS itself is so old and insecure plus that every security program on there is outdated). By the way, V-sync is on and the game do run smoothly for a period of time before it begin to stutter. 

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2022, 12:47:36 PM »
Step 1 is a mod that allows your computer to recognize the game. We don't use the mod and have read some don't have very good luck with the mod.

We do keep updated graphic files attached to the post linked below.

How-To: Get Sims 3 to Recognize a New Graphics Card
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=26753.msg446248#msg446248

Your card should already be added. If you don't see it, post the Device ID and we'll add it to the list.

If you're talking which version of say the Smooth Patch you should get?  That depends on which version of the game you play.  There's a version for the Origin/EA App and then there's a version for Steam/Disc version.

If I remember correctly, there's also a Sims 3 launcher mod made by LadyDuchess you can download for the Origin/EA App version. Something worth looking into if you're using the 1.69 version.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline ModHunter

• Townie
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2022, 12:59:49 PM »
I have never seen the warning when launching the game so it might be fine. I have also installed some sort of launcher mod that changed the first startup screen to an "animated" Maxis logo. What I did forget to mention was that I also have a patch that limits the amount of ram available to the game (it can not use a 8GB, just 4). I don't think it is a problem but I wanted to mention it.

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2022, 02:08:54 PM »
Hi, I don't think your OS is the problem b/c I also use that OS (w/a couple of antivirus programs, mostly Malware Bytes). I also have an older graphics card than you do (GForce GTX680). My game (up until now) runs smoothly, even IP. I have loads of RAM. I'm wondering (from a non-expert view) if you chose to use all of your RAM if that would help. Also, do you keep the cache and temp files for your whole comp cleaned out? Is your W7 comp a desktop or a laptop? Older laptops are notoriously under powered for sims 3. Because of something EA did a few days ago, I can't get my game to even load now. :(  I'm working on transferring it to my other acct on my comp (I have 2).

Edit to add: I also have a 64 bit processor and an Intel Core i7 CPU. Those also might affect the smoothness of the game.

Offline ModHunter

• Townie
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2022, 05:57:59 AM »
Hi, I don't think your OS is the problem b/c I also use that OS (w/a couple of antivirus programs, mostly Malware Bytes). I also have an older graphics card than you do (GForce GTX680). My game (up until now) runs smoothly, even IP. I have loads of RAM. I'm wondering (from a non-expert view) if you chose to use all of your RAM if that would help. Also, do you keep the cache and temp files for your whole comp cleaned out? Is your W7 comp a desktop or a laptop? Older laptops are notoriously under powered for sims 3. Because of something EA did a few days ago, I can't get my game to even load now. :(  I'm working on transferring it to my other acct on my comp (I have 2).

Edit to add: I also have a 64 bit processor and an Intel Core i7 CPU. Those also might affect the smoothness of the game.

I really haven't played the game without the 4 GB patch (or what's it real name is). Back when I installed the game I just did follow the information I found on MTS and to me it looked that the ram limiter was mandatory. But I did not know (and still don't know) how it works so if I'm wrong then I'm wrong... (I just searched for the patch and came across this tumblr post saying the patch is not needed but I got the older, disc games: https://sims3tutorialhub.tumblr.com/post/614180701125951488/the-sims-3-game-and-memory-what-to-do-and-what ).

No, I have never cleaned out any cache or temp files. I never played the game that much and as i did run into some problems (background sims dying mysteriously during the night, sims teleporting, getting stuck and the game losing in performance etc) I did not get to it. Maybe it would solve some problems.   :)

No, it's not a laptop. It's a big box here on my desk. Not very modern but easy to work on. 

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2022, 12:16:07 PM »
Try cleaning out the cache files in your game (any non folder item that has the title ".cache" in the address (I don't know what to call it). Right now though, EA did something to make the game unplayable a few days ago. I'm not sure what it is or what it requires (I think something related to Origin, but not sure), but I'm in the process of moving my sims 4 game to my other acct on my comp. I chose #4 b/c it's smaller and less trouble than moving #3. Then I'll uninstall the last ep and then download the 1.67 patch for it. We'll see how that goes.

Offline ModHunter

• Townie
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2022, 12:33:50 PM »
I did search for some info about deleting cache and found this thread: https://forums.thesims.com/en_us/discussion/802335/what-files-can-you-delete-in-ts3 I can do a test and see what happen if I delete the cache files listed.  :)

Quote:
CASPartCache.package
compositorCache.package
scriptCache.package
simCompositorCache.package
socialCache.package
ScriptErrorXXXXX.xml
End quote.

Offline MrsFlynn

• Admin Assistant
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2022, 01:27:35 PM »
Oh my goodness, I'm sorry I didn't realize you were still having issues with your game.  Or I would have offered more tips.

Deleting the cache files help as well. I have a habit of doing that either after I am done for the evening or just before I start playing. I also try to keep my Sims 3 folder clean. This helps to save space and helps boost game performance.  You may have read about me talking about this before, so please forgive any repeated information.

I like to save my Sims 3 folder to the desktop, usb key or external hard drive and then clean out the folder.

I like to delete the files that are in:

DCBackup: except for the ccmerged.package file. The file helps your store and other .Sims3Pack files work properly when installed via the Sims 3 Launcher.
Downloads: These files can be removed from this folder after being installed.
Exports: The files can be removed from this folder.
Library: After you've got Sims and lots installed into your save, you can remove these files.
Recorded Videos: The files in this folder can be removed.
Saved Sims: The files in this folder can be removed after added to your save file.
Saves: Keep only a few (a handful) current saves in the folder. The rest can be removed to help game performance.
Screenshots: Can be removed

UserPresets.package  This file can be deleted from time to time. Specially if Create a Style is lagging. However, please remember any textures, colors saved will be removed from CAST.

If you would like to learn more about Sims 3 user files, please see Crinrict's article:
https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html

Here are a couple other tip posts I've put together that maybe of help.

Tips to Relieve Lag and Freezing:
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=20732.msg422978#msg422978

Gameplay Tips and How-tos:
https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/index.php?topic=26289.msg439048#msg439048

Offline ModHunter

• Townie
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2022, 12:08:16 AM »
Hello.

No worries, I have not been playing the game since I started this thread (I did not have the time to). I just searching for information on what to do so that I get it correct.   Sonshine did give me the advice to delete the cache and I just wanted to check if I did understand what files to delete. I do have a backup in case things do go wrong and I will post here after my next play session so you know if deleting the files did any difference. :)

Offline ModHunter

• Townie
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2022, 10:23:58 AM »
Hello everyone.

So I did try some thing out today. I did find all of the cache files listed in my post and the CompositorCache was one of the biggest with 99.6 MB. Winner in the category "Today we waste space" was however the SimsCompositorCache file with 496 MB. I deleted both (but the had grown back quite a lot after just two in game days). The ScriptCache, CASPartCache and SocilalCache was only a few KB's so I did not delete those. Stupid but OK.  :-[

But just as before the game had big problems with freezing and such on day two. Especially late in the evening when my sims did visit a restaurant (one of my sims should go there and try the food but failed twice as a server dropped food on her). I also got spammed with messages about unmoveable sims. Some cases were more true then the others... And it's always the same sims!  >:(

So yeah, my game is perfectly unplayable. Sometimes you win, sometimes not...

anything