Author Topic: Flowers of the Apocalypse: Challenge Failure...  (Read 32228 times)

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Flowers of the Apocalypse 3.5: I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2022, 08:14:39 PM »
Look at you go, Watcher!  The Gen3 girls are almost at the top of their careers.

As for enabling/disabling auto-aging, I don't remember if I had moved-out family members over for mentoring.
But it was always nice to see them around, especially since I had a few favorites, haha. Well, maybe not the klepto spouse...

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #91 on: October 23, 2022, 02:33:07 AM »

Whaaaa? How did you play that prank at work? That is so awesome! Is it just a regular workday chance card?
Children and adults can become Partners in Crime if both their Mischief & Friendship bar are high enough. Then you can Plan a Prank which give a variety of options. I know one of the child ones is to release frogs? at school.
A successful prank gives benefits but I think a failed one would get a stressed or embarrassed mood. I don't know if increased Mischief skill makes them more likely to be successful...
There's been no further mention of Charlie the llama at the mob office. I hope he's happy  :)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #92 on: October 23, 2022, 02:37:26 AM »
Look at you go, Watcher!  The Gen3 girls are almost at the top of their careers.

As for enabling/disabling auto-aging, I don't remember if I had moved-out family members over for mentoring.
But it was always nice to see them around, especially since I had a few favorites, haha. Well, maybe not the klepto spouse...
I haven't had full-on favourites yet and I wonder if it's because I can't style them yet. This challenge requires clearing the Stylist career, appropriately enough. So many choices/strategies! I wonder what traits Gen 4 will get....

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2022, 10:29:22 AM »

Whaaaa? How did you play that prank at work? That is so awesome! Is it just a regular workday chance card?
Children and adults can become Partners in Crime if both their Mischief & Friendship bar are high enough. Then you can Plan a Prank which give a variety of options. I know one of the child ones is to release frogs? at school.
A successful prank gives benefits but I think a failed one would get a stressed or embarrassed mood. I don't know if increased Mischief skill makes them more likely to be successful...
There's been no further mention of Charlie the llama at the mob office. I hope he's happy  :)

This is FANTASTIC. I had no idea one could do this! Thank you for sharing!!

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2022, 02:18:20 AM »
This is FANTASTIC. I had no idea one could do this! Thank you for sharing!!
You're very welcome. I'll be looking out for you trying it in your OIDC  :)

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Flowers of the Apocalypse 3.6: Doctor! Doctor!
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2022, 09:07:44 AM »
Flowers of the Apocalypse 3.6: Doctor! Doctor!

Poppy: Happy Birthday, Orchid. I wonder what lovely hair you’ve got under that hat!
Orchid: Babble

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Poppy: Well, let’s just have a look at the clothes they’ve sent for you….a bit of purple for your name but all quite cute.
Orchid: Babble
Poppy: I’m glad I got to see you age up before my first day at work

Diane: Welcome to the hospital.
Poppy: You look familiar. Are you related to Kalantha?
Diane: The Conservationist sister in the IODC by @Rhoxi  ? Yeah – I get that all the time – but no. It’s the hair…
Poppy: Ah – yes. I see the difference now.

Poppy: My first day and I get to do an operation!
Patient: First DAY!!!!
Poppy: It’s fine. It’s all automated. I just press a few buttons. What can go wrong?
Patient: Um – is that my heart?
Poppy: Oops. Wrong button. Here we go….all sorted now…You’re welcome!
Patients: Thanks?

Adrian: Happy Birthday, Pink!
Pink: Pfft!
Adrian: Who’s Daddy’s Good girl! It’s the best trait and I’m glad you take after me!
Pink: I’m going to be the Goodest girl ever!

Adrian: You’ve got quite a thick coat for everyday wear. I’m glad it’s not summer yet. Maybe Watcher will swap things around for you…
Watcher: Too many birthdays – too many wardrobes. It’ll do…

Rose: Watcher?
Watcher: Hm?
Rose: While you were out at work with Poppy, look what I did! I rebuilt the economic structure of the region so there's a boom in the economy as supply and demand fuel a healthy free market.
Watcher: That’s great! We can have better quality items plus we can sell some of those dragonfruits we’ve been hoarding now, if we need to.
Rose: Yes – no point in selling them for the mob to get the money.
Watcher: It’ll make Monday mornings easier – no worrying about earning enough on Monday to pay the bills after the mob has taken it all on Sunday at midnight!
Rose: Yeah – those Tuesdays without power or water were a bit of a drag!

Poppy: Oh Care Bear
Adrian: I love it when you call me that, Angel Eyes.
Rose: So, um, Snow? How’s work?
Snowdrop: Um, it’s OK. Same old same old. Congrats on your top promotion. You deserved it.
Poppy: Mmmm
Adrian: Mmmm
Snowdrop: Oh Brother!

Poppy: Do you want to feel the baby?
Adrian: Oh yes!
Snowdrop: Um – I’d like to make an announcement!
Rose: What?
Snowdrop: I’m moving out. The Chopra brothers say they’re happy to have me move in with them, now Mum and Uncle Wye have died. They said there’s room for you too, Rose, if you want?
Rose: Oh – that’s a thought!
Poppy: What?

Rose: Poppy, sweetheart, we love you to bits but it’s getting a bit….well, me and Snow are moving out to the Chopras.
Poppy: Was it something I said?
Snow: Yes
Rose: No, no! It’s nothing. We just need some space to write our own story…maybe with the brothers…
Poppy: And you’re not upset with me?
Snowdrop: Let’s just look on the Brightside, eh? After all, we’re all Cheerful!

Pink: Hey Chickens! My first day at school. Don’t do anything I wouldn’t do!
Black Hen: Cluck?
Pink: No – you can’t come with me. I know there was that lamb that went to school but it’s frowned on, generally.
Brown Hen: Cluck!
Pink: Yes, of course you can go in the house.

Primrose: Wow, I’ve never seen these paintings before.
Watcher: They’ve been safely tucked away. We can’t buy any paintings but we can display the ones we’ve done in house.
Primrose: Granny Coral was beautiful, wasn’t she!
Watcher: I’ve put the kids portraits in the nursery. You’re the artist now. Don’t forget to capture each one!
Primrose: I do love painting.

Primrose: Yes, I love you too Orchid!
Orchid: Splish Splash
Primrose: I’m so glad I didn’t change out of my swimwear!
Orchid: More!

Poppy: Oh! A little boy! Welcome to the world, Umber!

Adrian: Hey, Snow! It’s so good to bump into you. Give me a hug!
Snowdrop: Just a simple hug. No “lovingly”
Adrian: I know. No flirting. I’m Good, you know!
Snowdrop: I know. I must be going

Poppy: Ooh – this isn’t very comfortable.
Orchid: Mama Play
Poppy: Yes but let’s play dolls anyway.
Orchid: Baby in House
Poppy: Yes – your baby brother.
Orchid: Not Happy
Poppy: Never mind. You’ll be able to play with him soon.

Violet: Happy Birthday, Prim!
Primrose: Aw. How nice of Poppy to leave me a cake for when I got home from work! Shame everyone’s in bed.
Violet: Hellooooo?
Primrose: I’ll just have a slice and then go to bed myself. Hey, where did all the confetti come from?
Violet: Me! With my confetti cannon! Oh why do I bother?

Adrian: Yeah, come on, Umber! You can do it, Champ!
Umber: Babble Wobble Babble!

Poppy: Oh yes! You’re ready to deliver! I’ve been waiting for this for the last 4 days!
Mum-to-Be: I wasn’t sure I should come. I’d heard this hospital is haunted.
Poppy: Well, we sadly lost one of our staff members, Kalantha….
Diane: DIANE. It’s DIANE!
Poppy: …very untimely. She wasn’t even an Elder. We’re not sure what happened although that operation robot is temperamental.
MtB: Temperamental?
Diane: Try Lethal!
Poppy: Anyway, some people think they can feel her presence but we don’t believe in ghosts do we?
MtB: No?
Diane: Hellooooo?

Poppy: So just lie back and relax
MtB: Are you sure this isn’t the temperamental robot?
Diane: Lethal!
Poppy: Um…no! I’m sure that’s the one next door.
MtB: Can you feel a chill in here?
Poppy: And…relax….
MtB: Oh!
Poppy: One bundle of joy. Delivered as promised.
MtB: Thank you doctor.
Poppy: No, thank you! I should get my promotion on the back of this!

Umber: Babble Babble
Orchid: Speak Proper
Umber: Babble Babble
Orchid: Non Sense

Pink: When I went to the loo in the middle of the night, Mummy and Daddy were being really noisy.
Primrose: What?
Pink: I don’t know what they were playing but I think they were having a pillow fight while pretending to be animals.
Primrose: Animals?
Pink: I’m not sure what sort of animals but there was a lot of grunting. What do you think they were playing?
Primrose: Oh – er – maybe you should ask them, not me.
Pink: Good idea!

Poppy: Well, you’re the 4th case of Bloaty Head today. What with that and this mornings Llama Flu, I’m a shoo-in for my next promotion, maybe not till next week though.
Patient: What will you do then?
Poppy: Oh I love my work. I’ll probably carry on.
Watcher: You’ll be on your own from now on though.

Progress Week 23 - Year 2, Spring

Previous Generations

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Generation 3
Snowdrop Odrade:
Adult/moved out; Cheerful, Geek, Self-Assured; Joke Star; Tech Guru Complete week 21
Rose Odrade: Adult/moved out; Child of the Ocean, Neat; Cheerful; Successful Lineage; Business-Management Complete week 23
Primrose Odrade: Adult; Dog-Lover, Cheerful, Self-Assured; Galactic Privateer; Criminal-Boss 9/10
Poppy Odrade: Heir YA; Cheerful, Proper, Neat; Joke Star; Distinguished Degree in Biology(hons); Doctor 9/10
Adrian Kealoha: Spouse YA; Loves Outdoors, Outgoing, Good; Jungle Explorer; Athlete 8/10

Generation 4
Pink Odrade:
Child; Good; Rambunctious Scamp
Orchid Odrade: Toddler; Charmer
Umber: Toddler; Fussy

L-to-R: Poppy holding Umber, Primrose, Adrian holding Orchid, Pink

Notes

Completing the Business-Manager cleared the following restrictions:
•   You may not sell buy mode items, items you received as career rewards, crafted items, fruits, vegetables or fish. (You may still sell build mode items, such as walls, windows and stairs). Anything that you can't use due to current restrictions or that you don't need/want must be deleted, placed in the family inventory and not removed until Athlete-Bodybuilder is cleared or stored on the lot
•   Cannot do any interactions with the Geo Council for found items.
•   Only the cheapest item of any category may be purchased.
•   No décor or any item with an environment score may be purchased or displayed.
•   Lifting this restriction unlocks Retail Employee career.

Our tenth Flower (second boy) is named for the UK River Umber which flows through North Devon near Ilfracombe. It is also a rather lovely earthy red pigment

Poppy has completed all her promotion requirements so she’ll go to work on her own to get that last promotion. I was hoping to get Top-Notch-Toddlers in Gen 4 but there’s no question that Go To Work careers make that hard.

Title: Doctor! Doctor! – 1984 UK hit from The Thompson Twins

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
Re: Flowers of the Apocalypse 3.6: Doctor! Doctor!
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2022, 10:50:28 AM »

Aw, love the Kalantha references! <3 Nice to see that Poppy and Adrian are still feelin' the love, but who can blame Snowdrop and Rose for needing a little space from it all? (Yes, it's something you said! :P) And another boy, after all those girls!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2022, 06:25:56 PM »
Haha, wear the toddlers out so they're sleeping while Poppy's off to her active career!
Or wait until the toddlers are done skilling to start an active career? But the only active career you have left is Detective (since scientist don't need to be followed to work).
Starting the doctor career at L8 really makes it so much easier.
I've played a doctor sim from level 4 before and all my wrong diagnoses were so frustrating, lol.
Great luck having the delivery take place so soon!

Orchid and Umber are simply adorable!
For some reason, I thought you'd unlocked wallpaper but I guess not. ;p

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2022, 05:04:07 AM »
Haha, wear the toddlers out so they're sleeping while Poppy's off to her active career!
Or wait until the toddlers are done skilling to start an active career? But the only active career you have left is Detective (since scientist don't need to be followed to work).
Starting the doctor career at L8 really makes it so much easier.
I've played a doctor sim from level 4 before and all my wrong diagnoses were so frustrating, lol.
Great luck having the delivery take place so soon!

Orchid and Umber are simply adorable!
For some reason, I thought you'd unlocked wallpaper but I guess not. ;p
Yes - I should have done that with the toddlers. The Detective career is going to be a killer because I think you have to successfully arrest 6 people regardless of what level you start so there's no point in going via Uni. I know you've had a bug with your Detectives so I'll be alert to that when I get to it. As you say, the Scientist doesn't need accompanying. I'm not sure about the Actress career (unlocks TV watching at any time). I can't remember if you can just send them prepped to the gigs.

For the diagnoses I have relied very heavily on the list under the Doctor career on this forum. I'd be lost without it. Level 8 made it really easy especially as the essential breast-feeding of babies was easy to fit around uni-studies albeit exhausting.

The wallpaper issue is a bit unclear. The starting position is definitely just drywall internally and Industrial externally. Green Technician allows non-industrial externally and EnvironmentAL scoring internally but I think that's Green scoring rather than Environment scoring. I'm considering adding Interior Designer to the long list of careers and have Environment (not Green) scoring decor unlocked by that. After all - there's not much difference between 45 and 46 careers (laughing hysterically). For now, I'm reading it that I can have non-scoring interior decor internally from unlocking Business Manager.

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Flowers of the Apocalypse 3.7: Money For Nothing
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2022, 06:35:13 AM »
Flowers of the Apocalypse 3.7: Money For Nothing

Poppy: Watcher?
Watcher: Hm?
Poppy: You didn’t show Umber’s wardrobe.
Watcher: My bad.

Pink: Happy Birthday, Orchid!
Orchid: Hey! Check out my hair tints!
Pink: They are cool! I’d like some like that!
Watcher: Oh – Your Dad’s out at work. You can keep them for now but they’ve got to go!

Orchid: whisper whisper
Pink: whisper whisper
Watcher: I don’t care what plan you are hatching, you don’t get to keep hair tints however much I happen to like them.

Watcher: OK, hair tints gone but you’ve got some great outfits.
Orchid: They’re OK, I guess.
Watcher: I really like your jumper (US sweater).
Orchid: It’s quite unique, isn’t it. I won’t see anyone else with one like this!
Watcher: We’ll see. I’ve heard it’s a very popular style in some Simverses

Adrian: Hey, Snow! We thought we’d come for a visit.
Snowdrop: In your swimwear? You’re not making this easy!
Adrian: The girls wanted to see where you lived and we thought we’d pick up Wye and Tulip’s urns.
Snowdrop: They’re not here. They must have died off our home lot.
Adrian: Oh – that’s disappointing.
Snowdrop: Look! Orchid’s really tired. Maybe you should just go.
Adrian: Oh – OK. Don’t be a stranger.
Snowdrop: !

Poppy: So the long and the short of it is….we’re having another baby!
Orchid: Wow, Mum. How did that happen?
Pink: I’ll tell you later.
Adrian: That’s great news. We’re going to have a house full again.
Poppy: Only if it’s twins!

Watcher: Congratulations Adrian. Mr Solar System!
Adrian: Just look at me stretch! I’ve invented new training techniques to overcome the muscle degeneration set in by the disaster.
Watcher: We can really go to town now, replacing all the big items with better quality ones.
Adrian: That’s great. I like the new loos and sinks but it will be great to get a better bed too.

Umber: Whee!
Adrian: You’re the first ever to get to be an aeroplane!
Umber: More!
Adrian: Way to go, Champ!

Orchid: So there’s really a baby in there?
Poppy: Yep! It’s not just a watermelon!

Poppy: I did it! I have spent many years (!) researching various illnesses and devising treatments for our populace.
Watcher: You’ve also come up with safe and reliable methods of contraception and safe and nourishing bottled formula for babies.
Poppy: However, my greatest breakthrough has been in the invention of a cure for the dementia caused by the lingering radiation in the atmosphere.
Watcher: No more wandering elders! That’s wonderful!

Poppy: And this is even more wonderful. Welcome to the world Myrtle! I’m going to breast feed you straight away but even while I’m at work, you can have formula milk so we don’t need to worry about that any more!

Watcher: Wow! This is a big week!
Primrose: You’ve been ignoring me a bit but you can’t ignore me now I’m a Suave Criminal!
Watcher: Whatever you say, Ma’am!
Primrose: I’m part of the 'Family'. Although we won’t get a cut of the profits, we no longer have to pay any protection money.
Watcher: Quick, sell all those dragonfruit!

Adrian: Happy Birthday, son!
Umber: Right back at you, Dad!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Watcher: It’s not the most exciting wardrobe but I guess it suits you.
Umber: Thanks, I think… I’ll just mop up this mess.
Watcher: You and your mum – both Neat freaks.

Orchid: It’s great coming to the Park
Pink: We’re the first kids to come after the Apocalypse.
Umber: Do you think anyone else will come.
Orchid: I hope so otherwise we’re stuck here while Mum & Dad jog around.

Watcher: Congratulations, Poppy. It seems only fitting that, as you developed pregnancy tests, you should get to try it out!
Poppy: We really will be a house full now!
Watcher: Yep!

Adrian: Happy Birthday, little Myrtle! Let’s get you settled in your bed!
Myrtle: Babble

Adrian: I don’t think you need your glasses at night time. But maybe Watcher will add them to your other outfits. We don’t want you to bump into everything!
Myrtle: Giggle
Adrian: Especially as you’re a Silly Billy, aren’t you!
Myrtle: Silly Billy

Progress Week 24 - Year 2, Spring

Previous Generations

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Generation 3 - Complete
Snowdrop Odrade:
Adult/moved out; Cheerful, Geek, Self-Assured; Joke Star; Tech Guru Complete week 21
Rose Odrade: Adult/moved out; Child of the Ocean, Neat; Cheerful; Successful Lineage; Business-Management Complete week 23
Primrose Odrade: Adult; Dog-Lover, Cheerful, Self-Assured; Galactic Privateer; Criminal-Boss complete week 24
Poppy Odrade: Heir YA; Cheerful, Proper, Neat; Joke Star; Distinguished Degree in Biology(hons); Doctor complete week 24
Adrian Kealoha: Spouse Adult; Loves Outdoors, Outgoing, Good; Jungle Explorer; Athlete-Bodybuilder complete week 24

Generation 4
Pink Odrade:
Child; Good; Rambunctious Scamp
Orchid Odrade: Child; Outgoing; Social Butterfly
Umber: Child; Neat; Social Butterfly
Myrtle: Toddler; Silly

L-to-R: Pink, Primrose, Poppy holding Myrtle, Adrian, Umber, Orchid

Notes

Our eleventh Flower (ninth girl) is named for UK native myrtle with it’s dark green leaves, fragrant white flowers and dark purple berries.

Only adults with fitness 10 can travel outside their neighbourhood. Children must be accompanied by an adult with fitness 10 (Professional Athlete)

Title: Money For Nothing – 1985 UK hit from Dire Straits. We saw them perform live at the NEC. We were a long way from the stage. I’m pretty sure it was them. The music was great!

Offline Sonshine

• Heaven Bound
  • Watcher
Re: Flowers of the Apocalypse 3.7: Money For Nothing
« Reply #100 on: October 25, 2022, 09:42:37 AM »
I will chime in here and say I'm loving your story! IRL I also used to have a great aunt named Myrtle. :)

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
« Reply #101 on: October 25, 2022, 10:01:24 AM »

Wow, what a big week! Three new careers topped with some significant restrictions lifted. You go, Watcher! Poor Snowdrop ... it seems someone caught feelings a little more than I realized. It's unfortunate about the urns/tombstones. I do kinda miss the Sims 3 mausoleums for that very reason.

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #102 on: October 25, 2022, 12:14:31 PM »
I will chime in here and say I'm loving your story! IRL I also used to have a great aunt named Myrtle. :)
Aw - thanks :)
Myrtle is a lovely name with an old-fashioned ring to it. Not many babies called Myrtle these days.

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2022, 12:17:08 PM »

Wow, what a big week! Three new careers topped with some significant restrictions lifted. You go, Watcher! Poor Snowdrop ... it seems someone caught feelings a little more than I realized. It's unfortunate about the urns/tombstones. I do kinda miss the Sims 3 mausoleums for that very reason.
I'm wondering if I'll spot the urns/tombstones for Tulip and Wye out and about on community lots but I'm not very hopeful. I thought you'd be pleased about the dementia elders being cured. I downplayed their meanderings in this version.  ;)

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2022, 02:04:21 PM »
Terrific job completing three careers this week!
I'm curious about your ratio of girl to boy births.  The Odrades seem to produce mostly girls?

Yes - I should have done that with the toddlers. The Detective career is going to be a killer because I think you have to successfully arrest 6 people regardless of what level you start so there's no point in going via Uni. I know you've had a bug with your Detectives so I'll be alert to that when I get to it. As you say, the Scientist doesn't need accompanying. I'm not sure about the Actress career (unlocks TV watching at any time). I can't remember if you can just send them prepped to the gigs.

For the diagnoses I have relied very heavily on the list under the Doctor career on this forum. I'd be lost without it. Level 8 made it really easy especially as the essential breast-feeding of babies was easy to fit around uni-studies albeit exhausting.

The wallpaper issue is a bit unclear. The starting position is definitely just drywall internally and Industrial externally. Green Technician allows non-industrial externally and EnvironmentAL scoring internally but I think that's Green scoring rather than Environment scoring. I'm considering adding Interior Designer to the long list of careers and have Environment (not Green) scoring decor unlocked by that. After all - there's not much difference between 45 and 46 careers (laughing hysterically). For now, I'm reading it that I can have non-scoring interior decor internally from unlocking Business Manager.

When I play-tested the Detective career, I used a sim who started at L4 (Connections reward).
He still had to complete all the tutorial tasks that start from L1 (go on patrol, visit a crime scene, arrest a suspect, not sure what else).
It took several days before he got to the point of being able to count 6 arrests.
I wonder what would happen with a sim who started the career at L8? Would he still need to start from the tutorial tasks?
I don't mind skipping uni for the Detective, though; it's not as bad as playing a Doctor with their 6 levels of diagnoses (yes, even with the list on Carl's Guide, I find it hard!).

As for wallpaper/siding, I can understand why the challenge starts with industrial exterior, drywall interior since both have a negative impact on your sims' wellbeing.
As for decorative wallpaper/flooring that doesn't exert an eco-impact, I'll leave that decision up to you.  (For some reason, I thought they'd unlock with the Civil Planner branch.)
No need for me to look through your rules, lol!