Author Topic: TookAlot Big Dream Dynasty, Chapter 21: Moving Out and Growing Up  (Read 19764 times)

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
TookAlot Big Dream Dynasty, Chapter 5: The Substitutes
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2022, 10:12:11 AM »
We rejoin the TookAlot household where our now-teen child is getting a head start on the Fitness skill.

Orvin:  Why do I get the strange feeling that I'm about to be abducted?
Gimli:  Well, lad, yer parents need to do work stuff, and their stay at home jobs sometimes require leaving home.
Legolas:  "Stay at home job" is a misleading term.
Why is Pippin not here yelling at you two?
Gimli:  Lad's had a bit much on his plate recently, so we're just stepping in to help out.
...does he know this?
Legolas:  And let's head to San Myshino!

Chaza:  ...eighty-teen, eleventy-four, twelventeen, four!  Ready or not, here I come!
Gimli:  What're ye doin', lass?
Chaza:  My audience is hiding, so we're obviously playing hide and seek!
Gimli:  Yeah, that seems about right.

Orvin:  But, why do I have to hit the thing?  It never did anything bad to me.
Legolas:  You need to learn to fight.  You never know when Orcs may show up.
Orvin:  That's...not a thing...
Legolas:  That's what Saruman wants you to think!
Orvin:  ...OK?

Valdrin:  Jenna, I'm so lucky to have an awesome best friend like you voting for me!
Jenna:  When did I say I'd vote for you?
Valdrin:  Isn't voting for each other what best friends and/or eventual former best friends do?
Jenna:  Umm, I guess?
Candy:  And I guess you'll need a gorgeous dynasty spouse for your muscly son, am I right?
Valdrin:  Well, a smart, independent, and voting age Sim like yourself would obviously be a fine spouse choice for a young heir.  Now let's talk about the upcoming election...

If Pippin were here, he'd be distracted from mentioning that no one remembered to stay outside to keep an eye on young Crelvin because he'd be gushing about sweet, adorable young Evie Delgato.
Legolas:  Indeed he would, but with as fast as the heirs are aging up, she will likely not be a spouse option until generation three or four.
That's fair.

Orvin:  I miss the jungle gym.  Why is the grown up gym so much less fun?
Gimli:  Chin up, lad.  We'll find ye some Orcs to slay once you muscle up a bit.
Orvin:  Seriously, Orcs aren't a thing!

Orcs may or may not be real, but an Emilia Earnestboo is definitely real.
Crevlin:  Heddo, wady!
Emelia:  Ummm, someone left this little urchin out here?  Hello?  ...anyone?
And so, the rest of the family went back to the homestead to get some rest while our Sports Master went off to try out the snowy peaks of Mt. Komorebi.
Legolas:  But he didn't go alone.

Valdrin:  Thanks for inviting me along, son.
Orvin:  I didn't actually...
Valdrin:  Oh, and who's this young prospective voter?
Miki:  I'm a teen.  I can't vote yet.
Orvin:  Oh, look, Dad, there are some voters over there.
Valdrin:  Oh, excuse me, kids!

Miki:  Well, that was slick.
Orvin:  The only thing my dad likes more than securing a vote is securing another vote.
Miki:  So, why did you drag me against my will out here into the nasty, bitter cold?
Orvin:  Oh, I...we're both teens...and I thought we could...
Miki:  I'm messing with you.  This is me teasing you.  Stop being awkward.  I mean, if you can.
Orvin:  ...yeah, I awkward well.
And isn't it about time to hit the slopes?

Orvin:  Umm, Miki?  Why are you not in cold weather attire anymore?
Miki:  I'm a strong, independent woman and I don't need me no coat.
Orvin:  That's...impressive, actually.
Miki:  Yeah I am!

Orvin:  Alright, dad, are you ready to shred some powder?
Valdrin:  ...and that same level of care and attention that I bring to my family is the sort of attention I'll bring to public office as your elected representative.
Rin:  Ummm, is that your son over there who you seem to be ignoring?
Valdrin:  So, can I count on your vote?
Orvin:  It's fine, just tell him he has your vote.
And just as Valdrin gets distracted by hunting votes, so Pippin would be distracted by the potential...

for another little redheaded Fyres beauty.
Legolas:  He would be freaking out.
Gimli:  True.  So very true.

Valdrin:  Notice how cool I am, voters!!
Voters:  Oooooooo!!

Valdrin:  Oof, my back!  Remember how cool I was, voters!
Voters:  I mean, yeah, OK.

Orvin:  Skis were a bad idea.  Bad idea!!  Just gotta avoid the ramp...hmmm, how do you turn these things?  Oh no...

Orvin:  AAAAHHHH!!!!  Oh, actually, I think I've got the hang of this.
Legolas:  Seems we've been missing someone.
Gimli:  Nah, we've had the whole family.  The founding couple and both children.
Legolas:  ...they have three children.
Gimli:  ...oh.
Back at the homestead, we find our forgotten child.

Halvin:  Baby, you're a firework!  Or some such pop culture reference would happen were the grumpy Watcher present at this point.
Gimli:  I like this lad.  He's delightful.
Halvin:  And yet you forgot about me.
Gimli:  He's less delightful now.
Legolas:  Maybe not delightful, but he's tearing up those child age requirements.  He even tore his father away from campaigning long enough to read him a book.

Valdrin:  ...and then the king said, "Can I count on your vote in the upcoming election?"
Halvin:  Actually, father, a monarchy is not predicated on the premise of general election as even constitutional monarchies, while generally grounded in the fundamentals of the democratic process, have the right to reign based upon familial lineage rather than voting, however, those heirs inherit a title that is attached only to prestige, not to actual political power.
Valdrin:  ...I have no idea what you just said.
Orvin:  OK, so I've just put away enough toys to get into range to get that "moderator" trait.  How many other requirements do I have to fill for my teen years?
Legolas:  You need to get a B in school.
Orvin:  OK, I should be there by tomorrow.  What else?
Legolas:  ...that's it.
Orvin:  Seriously?
Legolas:  ...I suppose we could write in something about slaying Orcs...
Orvin:  That's not a thing!
And so, our oldest child is almost ready for an age-up, but our youngest has already hit that point.

Gimli:  Are ye makin' a cake, Chaza?
Chaza:  No, it's a deer!
Gimli:  Eh?
Chgaza:  Dough!  A deer!  A female deer!
Gimli:  ...why did we want to be Watchers?

Cassandra:  So, maybe by the time I'm a young adult I'll be able to take this bag off my head.  And maybe I'll be married into this family.  This weirdly fast-aging family.
Crelvin:  I wun cake!
Cassandra:  Yeah, cake would be good.  I like cake.

Chaza:  Blow kisses to the pretty fire!
Crelvin:  Pitty fire!
Valdrin:  So, I have the spouse list narrowed down to 25 now.
Orvin:  Really, dad, you don't have to...
Valdrin:  Psh, it's no bother!  Happy to help.
Orvin:  But Miki...
Valdrin:  Miki isn't old enough to vote, son.  Try to stay on topic.

Crelvin:  Well...someone stole my shirt and my hair.  I need to get to the dresser!
Chaza:  Awww, the fire broke again!  Someone else get older!
Orvin:  I'll do that for you tomorrow, Mom.
Chaza:  Thanks, OrcKin!
Orvin:  Orcs aren't a thing.

Crelvin:  Make over and making music!
And so, our Music Aficionado has officially started into his portion of the dynasty.  And with that, we say goodbye...
Pippin:  Sorry I'm late, narrator, what did I miss?
to the TookAlot Dynasty.
Legolas:  Don't worry, we took care of things.
Gimli:  Ye needed yer rest, lad.
Pippin:  You're not in this story!!!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: TookAlot Big Dream Dynasty, Chapter 5: The Substitutes
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2022, 11:50:15 AM »
Haha, I love the fact that Pippin is off resting this Saturday, both irl and in this update.
Gimli and Legolas were rather tame in your absence. They must have made those provocative remarks in early episodes just to provoke you, Pippin. (It worked!)

I agree with Cassandra! The Tookalots are moving along and aging up so quickly!
Has Orvin maximized his body potential already?  His shoulder are massive!
At first, I thought that Valdrin was obsessed with female sims until his comment that tipped me off he was multi-tasking: securing votes AND spouse hunting.

Oh, the baghead NAP was unintentional? Do you want to vote it out? I'll message you about it.

All in all, a delightful update. Always a delight to find out what your Tookalots are up to.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2022, 03:54:55 PM »

You're just zipping right along! Glad to see that the faithful Gimli and Legolas were able to help you get a little rest this weekend. ;P

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2022, 11:01:54 PM »
Haha, I love the fact that Pippin is off resting this Saturday, both irl and in this update.
Gimli and Legolas were rather tame in your absence. They must have made those provocative remarks in early episodes just to provoke you, Pippin. (It worked!)

I agree with Cassandra! The Tookalots are moving along and aging up so quickly!
Has Orvin maximized his body potential already?  His shoulder are massive!
At first, I thought that Valdrin was obsessed with female sims until his comment that tipped me off he was multi-tasking: securing votes AND spouse hunting.

Oh, the baghead NAP was unintentional? Do you want to vote it out? I'll message you about it.

All in all, a delightful update. Always a delight to find out what your Tookalots are up to.
Yeah, the full schedule I had to deal with just seemed to perfect to ignore for having the Elf and Dwarf narrate the update.  Glad you enjoyed it!
Yeah, Valdrin is a very faithful spouse and not a chick magnet, he's just a very motivated politician and an attentive father...except for completely ignoring his son's wishes  ;=)
Thanks for the help with the NAP!!!  I used to just torn those off, but I forgot to do that when I set up this dynasty file, so I've already started implementing the petition in game!
And yes, Orvin has maximized his physical potential and is beastly  :=)

You're just zipping right along! Glad to see that the faithful Gimli and Legolas were able to help you get a little rest this weekend. ;P
I actually am really enjoying that the layout of this dynasty and teh requirements really allow you to move at an accelerated rate if you wish.  There were definitely some moments in my IDC where I was just killing time waiting for a birthday or a career to finish or some such thing.
And yes, Gimli and Legolas are certainly faithful.  In fact, you're about to see just how dedicated they are to this dynasty  ;=)

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
TookAlot Big Dream Dynasty, Chapter 6: Not the Fellowship
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2022, 11:02:26 PM »
In an undisclosed location that strongly resembles Daschund's Creek in Brindleton Bay, two figures find themselves walking through a tunnel.

Gimli:  Yer sure this is the place, lad?
Legolas:  Well, the anxious fellow with the strainer on his head did identify that this was the way.
Gimli:  Aye, right before he ran off screaming about a monster coming to get everyone.
Legolas:  Obviously Orcs.
Gimli:  Obviously.  Hmmm, speaking of obvious...

Gimli:  does he think this is actually hidden?
Legolas:  I mean, we did have to ask directions, so maybe vaguely hidden.
Gimli:  And the first random Sim we ran across knew exactly where it was.
Legolas:  Ok, not-so-hidden.  Well, let's go in and chat.
Gimli:  Aye.

Gimli:  D'ye suppose he knows we're coming?
Legolas:  No, he's probably distracted looking for mods for Skyrim.
Gimli:  Aye, that sounds right.

Legolas:  Greetings, Watcher Pippin!
Pippin:  Ugh, you're not in this story!  And not supposed to be in my house.  How did you find me anyway?

Legolas:  Well, Elves are quite famed for their tracking skills.
Gimli:  Aye, and the first random Sims we ran across knew where ye lived.
Pippin:  Ugh, so what do you want?  And to save time, the answer's probably no.

Legolas:  Well, Gimli and I did a fine job holding things together on the last update...
Pippin:  You literally forgot one of the children exists.
Legolas:  True, but neither of us got distracted by lovely redheads.
Pippin:  ...touche.
Legolas:  So anyway...

Legolas:  if there were three of us working together to watch them, we'd stand way more chance of having at least one of us paying attention all the time.
Pippin:  That's...practical, though it does set the bar pretty low.

Legolas:  No, it's more a matter of volume.  With your IDC, you basically only had one heir to worry about at a time.  You've got five active founder and heir Sims to manage at the moment.  Maybe some reinforcements could make things easier.
Pippin:  Ok, I'm listening.

Legolas:  It's like a fellowship of Watchers!
Pippin:  Seems like you're stretching it a bit there.
Legolas:  Eh, we can workshop the names and details.
Pippin:  Ok, I was about to break for lunch anyway.  Let's talk over a meal.
Legolas:  Sounds good!

Gimli:  Oh, uh, ye may be out of food there, lad.  I...peeked in the fridge earlier and it was pretty empty.
Legolas:  (facepalm)
Pippin:  Yeah, get used to doing that if you're planning to be a Watcher.  Let's hit the cafe.

Pippin:  Here we are, South Square Coffee!
Gimli:  Thank goodness, I'm starved!
Legolas:  Fine, you go grab something to eat and we'll grab a table.
Gimli:  Stop acting like yer in charge, Elf!
Legolas:  Ok, I'll go get he food then.
Gimli:  No, yer plan was fine, I'll get the food.

Pippin:  So, this division of labor idea seems pretty solid.
Legolas:  Well, it also means that we can have Watchers in different areas so I can follow the muscly one to go skiing while you watch the brainy one play chess and the Dwarf watches the blue girl cook.
Pippin:  That's ideal...and you're really bad with names.
Legolas:  Guess I'll fit in with your storytelling.
Pippin:  ...touche.

Gimli:  Lad!  Can I order?  Hello? 
Gal Customer:  ...so then I was like, "Are you talking to me?" and he was all like, "Well I ain't talking to the chihuahua," hahahahahaha!
Barista:  That's...something, ma'am.  Are you actually ever going to order?
Gal Customer:  So then my best friend Dinah, have you met her?  Lovely gal.  Has a bit of an underbite and low standards in men.  I'll give you her number.  Anyway, she says to me...
Gimli:  Just want some food...

Marcus:  You don't mind if I join you, do you?
Pipipn:  Now, back to workshopping the name, The Fellowship just seems a little...
Marcus:  Pretentious?
Pippin:  Yes, thank you, Gimli.
Marcus:  I'm not...
Legolas:  Sooooooo, maybe Middle Earthers?

Gimli:  Hmmm, table's full, so guess I'll just sit over here.  Wow, who's that?  Care to join me, lass?

Pippin:  ...and it seems like something with Lord of the Rings could work, but there's nothing really about rings involved here.
Marcus:  Well, if you're having heirs have spouses, you could always use that as a running joke for those updates.
Legolas:  You are really on fire today, Gimli!
Marcus:  Again, I'm not...
Pippin:  Excellent joke idea, but we still don't have a name...

Judith:  This bread is rather good.
Gimli:  Not as good as yer face.
Judith:  ...
Gimli:  ...
Judith:  ...was that meant to be flirting?
Gimli:  Aye.
Judith:  Ok, just checking.  It's working, by the way.
Gimli:  Excellent.  I'll get us more bread.
Judith:  You know how to sweet talk a girl.

Marcus:  ...and so, if we're going for the goofiness of the watched Sims, "Lords of the Dweebs," if we're going for the puppeteering angle of Watchers, "Lords of the Strings," or if we embrace the name of the type of dynasty, the Big Dream Dynasty, we could go with "Lords of the Dreams."
Pippin:  Yes!  That's perfect! 
Legolas:  I have never been more impressed with you, Master Dwarf.
Marcus:  Thanks, but I'm not...
Pippin:  What say we head back to the house and start planning out the next update?
Legolas:  Sounds good.  Let's go, Gimli!
Marcus:  (sigh) Ok.

Pippin:  Hmmm, I feel like we're forgetting something.
Marcus:  Did you bring anything extra with you?
Legolas:  I don't think we did.
Pippin:  Hmmm...

Pippin:  You're right.  Probably just my imagination.
And so, our intrepid trio of Watchers heads off to plan, to scheme, and to ponder how the Dwarf got so tall.
Pippin:  Wait, is he taller?
Legolas:  No, pretty sure he always looked like this.
Pippin:  Oh.  Ok.

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Re: TookAlot Big Dream Dynasty, Chapter 6: Not the Fellowship
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2022, 03:00:58 AM »
Oh Gimli, not distracted by redheads, but blondes are your weakness?
Gimli Mark II (Gimlii? Marcus II?) will be handy with an axe and he's full of good suggestions. You could do worse. rofl

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2022, 12:44:51 PM »

It's true - completing five big dreams simultaneously must be taxing for a watcher! Though I do question the helpfulness of your new fellow watchers ...

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2022, 08:31:16 PM »
The best shot has to be Gimli flirting with Judith Ward. I mean, even sitting, the top of his head barely reaches her nose. LOL!
So, now that Legolas and Gimli are in as Watchers, what's going on with Marcli (Marcolas)?
Rofl that Pippin and Legolas can tell the difference between Gimli and Marcus.
But, Marcus did fire off some brilliant ideas!  Honorary Watcher?  Watcher-in-Training?
The cast gets bigger!

A delightful update!  Love that you even built Pippin a hideaway cabin in the wilds of Brindleton Bay!

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2022, 07:44:16 AM »
Oh Gimli, not distracted by redheads, but blondes are your weakness?
Gimli Mark II (Gimlii? Marcus II?) will be handy with an axe and he's full of good suggestions. You could do worse. rofl
Yeah, Marcus just randomly joined Pippin and Legolas at the table, so I figured why not just roll with it  :=)

It's true - completing five big dreams simultaneously must be taxing for a watcher! Though I do question the helpfulness of your new fellow watchers ...
Yeah, I imagine it won't make us more efficient, but I'll trade efficiency for humor any day  ;=)

The best shot has to be Gimli flirting with Judith Ward. I mean, even sitting, the top of his head barely reaches her nose. LOL!
So, now that Legolas and Gimli are in as Watchers, what's going on with Marcli (Marcolas)?
Rofl that Pippin and Legolas can tell the difference between Gimli and Marcus.
But, Marcus did fire off some brilliant ideas!  Honorary Watcher?  Watcher-in-Training?
The cast gets bigger!

A delightful update!  Love that you even built Pippin a hideaway cabin in the wilds of Brindleton Bay!
Yeah, Gimli sat down and Judith just randomly joined him and it looked like they were making eyes at each other, so I just went with it  :=)
Yeah, the Marcus stuff was a fun and unexpected addition to the narrative.  He just decided to insert himself in the conversation, so I figured he should be where all the good ideas came from.
And yes, I really enjoyed making my little hideaway in the woods  :=)  Glad you liked it!

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
TookAlot Big Dream Dynasty, Chapter 7: Using Humor
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2022, 07:44:50 AM »
We return to the now far more watched TookAlot household...
Chaza:  Took a lot of watching!
Gimli:  Lass has a point.
I...I just can't even with you right now.
Legolas:  No, tell them about the cake!
Alright, fine.  We return to the TookAlot household where they will need a lot of cake.
Pippin:  Well, that was underwhelming.
I...yeah.

Halvin:  You are one of the few Sims I actually like.
BagHead Sim:  Oh, I'll bet you say that to all the girls!
Halvin:  No.  I don't.  They're mostly cognitively challenged and fail to provide even the most base level conversational input and...
BagHead Sim:  That was actually an insincere sentiment on my part downplaying your compliment with humor since the flattery made me feel awkward.
Halvin:  Oh.  Fascinating.
Pippin:  Well, our little braniac may still have a lot of growing up to do...
Legolas:  but a certain fitness freak is just about ready to grow up...more...than he already is!

Orvin:  That was really awkward phrasing and you called me a freak.
Legolas:  I...yeah.  Sorry.
Pippin:  The Watcher transition was solid though!
Legolas:  Right?!?!?
Pippin & Legolas:  (high five)
Orvin:  (sigh) Can I just go get my cake now?

Orvin:  Dad?  Did you forget to invite guests to this party?
Valdrin:  Nope!  Just doing the candles immediately to make sure this party hits silver and then canceling it!
Orvin:  ...why?
Gimli:  Y'see, lad, there's something with the requirements and something and some sort of aspiration nonsense, so there ye go.
Legolas:  He seemed so much more eloquent last update.
Pippin:  And taller.
It seems that the gold medal parties are not completing the silver medal party requirements for Valdrin's aspiration, so he's short-cutting his way there with early termination parties.
Orvin:  Well, that sounds...threatening.
Pippin:  Agreed "early termination" may not be the best phrasing.
Orvin:  So, am I back to skilling again?
Legolas:  Of course!
Orvin:  Ok.  Come on, Miki!

Orvin:  Oh, what's wrong?
Miki:  Ummm, you realize I'm going to be a teen for a while and your Dad's angling to marry you off in exchange for votes, so I'm just adjusting to the friend zone.
Orvin:   Psh, never!  You're then only one for me, Miki!
Miki:  Wow, making passes at a teen?  What a scandal!  This will definitely tank your father's political career!
Orvin:  I...what?  Wait!  No, it's just...you and I...
Miki:  I'm teasing again, awkward blossom!
Orvin:  Oh.  Sorry.  Should have asked for a humor-to-Simlish interpreter for my birthday.
Miki:  And...I may be using humor to downplay how relieved I am that you're a loser, but you're still my loser.
Orvin:  Yeah I am!
Legolas:  But our happy age-inappropriate couple weren't the only ones who went to Mt. Komorebi.

Megumi:  It's refreshing that, even though I'm such a big celebrity, you just treat me like a regular Sim.
Halvin:  ...you're a celebrity?  For what?  Being famously bad at chess?
Megumi:  You are a hoot!
Halvin:  Checkmate.
Megumi:  Oh.  Wanna play again?
Halvin:  I suppose.  I mean, Dad needs time to secure another vote from his next victim of serial best friending.
Megumi:  I like cereal.
Halvin:  Of course you do.  It's delicious.
And as delightful as the child genius years were, it became time to have another party and an older genius.

Gimli:  Umm, did ye miss the part where he blew out the candles?
Pippin:  Hey, there's a picture!  There are sparkles, he's getting older.  My work here is done.  Mic drop!
Halvin:  Were you trying to be assertive, or simply dropping a BTS reference?
Pippin:  ...why can't it be both?
Legolas:  And how else would an aged-up dynasty heir celebrate than with a trip to...

Legolas:  the dining room table?
Halvin:  Have to complete my homework and then do my extra credit and then I'm going to try to hack into the school website to correct errors in my teachers' slideshow presentations for tomorrow as well as working in this amusing joke I've concocted which ends with "Fig Newton's law of gravity."  It's a bit of a knee slapper, if I do say so myself, which you may notice, I do.
Crelvin:  Yeah, no idea how you and I swam out of the same gene pool, bro.
Pippin:  Wait, is your Mom stabbing your refrigerator with a screwdriver?
Halvin:  Sadly no.  It's a thermometer.
Crelvin:  She's pretty sure it's sick, so she's taking its temperature.  It's sweet.  And weird.

And speaking of weird, Valdrin has added another item to his best friend and vote-getting quest.
Valdrin:  ...and since we're best friends and you're voting for me, you'll sign this petition to remove bags from people's heads, right?
Miho:  But...some of them are unattractive.
Valdrin:  True, but would we really want to raise our children in a world where we can't see the faces of their potential spouses?
Miho:  Oh my gosh, you're right!!  Where do I sign?
Pippin:  But he wasn't the only one spending time with a lady.

Halvin:  I like it better when I can see your face while we play.
Yuki:  Ummm, is this a chess date?
Halvin:  Oh, ummm, what makes you think that?
Yuki:  Well, your brother is playing the romantic spaghetti scene song from "Lady and the Tramp."
Halvin:  Psh, friends can play chess while listening to romantic music without it needing to be romantic.
Yuki:  Ok.
Halvin:  ...should I tell my Mom not to bring out the spaghetti?
Yuki:  No, it's fine.  This is a good date.
Halvin:  I'm pleased you find it acceptable.  Unless you don't in which case it's still not a date.
Yuki:  I accept those terms.
Gimli:  They're weird, but cute.  And speaking of cute...

Pippin:  well, this is more redundant than cute.
Valdrin:  It's such a delight to have such an awesome mermaid best friend!
Kalamainu'u:  I'm not a mermaid.
Valdrin:  Of course you're not!  And I'll keep that in mind when you help vote me into office.
Kalamainu'u:  Umm, ok.
Valdrin:  Now about you signing this petition against people having to wear bags on their heads...
Kalamainu'u:  But I love not having to look at people.
Valdrin:  And you're totally not a mermaid.
Kalamainu'u:  (sigh) Where do I sign?

Crelvin:  (singing) And they call it betcha nothin'.
Pippin:  Pretty sure the words are "They call it bella notte."  Italian for beautiful night?
Crelvin:  That may be the Gucci version, but my Wal-Mart version was the free option my brother could afford for his boring chess date.
Pippin:  That's fair.
But our little musical prodigy was not providing music for our next party since he was the guest of honor.

Morgan:  (singing) And they call it betcha nothin'.
Pippin:  I stand corrected.  Those are clearly the words.
Legolas:  Because Morgan's lovely?
Pippin:  Clearly.
Crelvin:  You're really doing homework at my party, bro?
Halvin:  I need to get that A grade as my final requirement for aging up since Yuki is set to age up any moment.
Yuki:  Being in an age-inappropriate relationship would be a horrendous social faux pas.
Orvin:  Hey!
Legolas:  And our little musical prodigy heads off to the dresser for a makeover...

Pippin:  and we get a celebratory heel click in honor of the first heir to get the Took nose!
Crelvin:  I was celebrating my cool new wardrobe?
Pippin:  And your Took nose.
Chaza:  He took your nose!
And back inside the party.

Halvin:  ...and then the computer programmer said, "Escape room?  It's more like an option command escape room!"
Yuki:  That's amusing in its usage of word play!
Crelvin:  Using humor to woo your romantic interest?
Halvin:  I've read that it's socially acceptable, appropriate, and effective.
Yuki:  Definitely effective!
Crelvin:  ...we definitely swam out on different sides of the gene pool.
Halvin:  I swam out on the side nearer the shower.
Crelvin:  ...touche.
And the next day, our heirs head off for Crelvin's first day of high school and Halvin's last day.

Crelvin:  "Halvin's last day?"  Is there some reason you're so morbid this update, narrator?
I...am having an off day.  Days.  Update.
Halvin:  Diffuse it with humor.  It seems to be a running theme.
Humor?  Alright.  A joke.  Let me see...oh, got it!  So, a bunch of TookAlots walk into a dance club...

the nuts on the counter of the bar say, "What a good looking group."

One of the TookAlots asks the mixologist, "What's with the nuts?"

and the Mixologist says, "They're complimentary.
Pippin:  And we knock out another social gathering for Valdrin and get Crelvin's first hour of playing guitar at a social event...
Legolas:  not to mention getting a date in for Halvki.

Halvin:  Halvki?
Yuki:  He's playing upon a name-blending relationship construct called "shipping."
Halvin:  Oh no, I'm familiar with it, but isn't Yulvin a better choice since it flows better and puts you first...as I do?
Yuki:  ...that was sweet.  This is what my face looks like when I'm blushing.
Halvin:  You mean adorable?
Yuki:  ...and now I am blushing harder.
Pippin:  Aww, they're adorable!
Gimli:  But later on, someone became less adorable!

Legolas:  Ouch, that was a rough transition!
Valdrin:  My years and wisdom have helped shape me into exactly the sort of leader Simanity needs.
Pippin:  He's so consistent.
Gimli:  And the lads doing great in his job...
Legolas:  As is...

Legolas:  the new mascot for the San Myshino Llamacorns!
Orvin:  I look so awesome!!
Pippin:  Well, you're home from work, so you can change out of the mascot suit now.

Orvin:  Not a chance!
Pippin:  (sigh) And meantime, Chaza is preparing another cake since Crelvin will be hitting his adult years in about a day.
Chaza:  More cake to burn!!
Gimli:  Lass is consistent, at least.
Legolas:  But something more important was happening with the middle child.
Gimli:  Aye, the one we'd totally not forget about.
Legolas:  At least not again.
Pippin:  (facepalm)

Halvin:  So, umm, I usually handle most things through cognition and communicative means.
Yuki:  And you're so good at it.  And handsome.
Halvin:  But for this...handsome?  I mean...ok.  Man of action time.
Yuki:  What...?

Yuki:  Finally!
Halvin:  And since Sim relationships move notoriously quickly...

Halvin:  would you do me the honor of being my wife and watching me spend every minute of my life working tirelessly just to see your face light up with the most lovely smile to have ever graced the planet?
Legolas:  But sadly, that's where we run out of time for this update...
Gimli:  No, lad!  I want to know what she says!
Yuki:  Of course I will!!!
Wait, did you just use humor to mess with the readers?
Legolas:  ...should I not have?
Eh, it was funny.  And with that mildly interrupted romantic moment, we bring this update to a close...
Chaza:  Clothes!  I like wearing those!
(sigh) with the TookAlots moving ever closer to completing their first Big Dream.

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
Re: TookAlot Big Dream Dynasty, Chapter 7: Using Humor
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2022, 09:48:54 AM »

Valdrin is so right! We *don't* want to live in a community where we can't see our potential spouses faces! :P I bet you're happy at least one of the boys got the traditional Took nose! Halvin is better at this romance thing than he thinks he is - that line about Yuki's name being first because he'll put her first? Too cute!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2022, 02:42:11 PM »
I literally laughed out loud that the Watchers seemed more focused on their mutual narrative transitions than with the feelings of the Tookalot household.
Awww, what a sweet romance between Halvin and Yuki!  (What happened with Orvin and Cassandra?)
Boys, y'all need to get crackin' on your mother's grandchildren!

Chaza's genes have been so strong--all three kids have their skin color, but....
Congrats on Crelvin inheriting the Took nose! *throws confetti
I noticed Morgan chilling at his birthday party.  Does that mean what I think it means?
Um, for Crelvin?  (#teamCrelgan)

Such a fun update!

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2022, 07:42:17 AM »
Valdrin is so right! We *don't* want to live in a community where we can't see our potential spouses faces! :P I bet you're happy at least one of the boys got the traditional Took nose! Halvin is better at this romance thing than he thinks he is - that line about Yuki's name being first because he'll put her first? Too cute!
Haha, glad you enjoyed Valdrin's logic about the bagheads  ;=)
Yeah, I kind of adore Halvin and Yuki together.  They are just too cute!

I literally laughed out loud that the Watchers seemed more focused on their mutual narrative transitions than with the feelings of the Tookalot household.
Awww, what a sweet romance between Halvin and Yuki!  (What happened with Orvin and Cassandra?)
Boys, y'all need to get crackin' on your mother's grandchildren!

Chaza's genes have been so strong--all three kids have their skin color, but....
Congrats on Crelvin inheriting the Took nose! *throws confetti
I noticed Morgan chilling at his birthday party.  Does that mean what I think it means?
Um, for Crelvin?  (#teamCrelgan)

Such a fun update!
Orvin and Cassandra is kind of not a thing.  Orvin is waiting ever-so-patiently for his one and only, Miki.
So amusing how immediately you started shipping Crelvin and Morgan based on little more than her being at his birthday party.  As if I'd ever go out of my way to choose an adorable redhead as a dynasty spouse  ;=)

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
TookAlot Big Dream Dynasty, Chapter 8: When Pleasant Isn't
« Reply #43 on: October 31, 2022, 07:42:50 AM »
When last we left our intrepid...
Chaza:  Opposite of in trepid is out trepid!
(sigh) our in and not out trepid TookAlots, two more Watchers had joined the cause, multiple birthdays had occurred, and we'd ended on a proposal.
Chaza:  Pro means professional!  Pro posal is a professional posal!
Pippin:  And now let's catch up with...
Lilith:  Can it, disembodied voice!  Let's talk about why I hate everything.

Pippin:  Wait, what...?
Lilith:  So, Pippin's dynasties have this running schtick about his thing for redheads...
Pippin:  But they're pretty!
Lilith:  And here I am, a lovely redhead, and constantly ignored and passed over!
Pippin:  Wait, I can explain!
Gimli:  Nah, let the lass make her case.
Pippin:  But I...
Legolas:  No, really, she has a point.
And so, Pippin losses the Watcher vote 2 to 1.
Pippin:  Wait!  That's not a thing!!
Lilith:  We start off with parties.

Lilith:  Lots and lots of parties since the famously Took-nosed Dad needs besties and votes.  Of course, he's also shopping for spouses for his sons.  Hence I get stuck with these losers all the time.

Lilith:  Yep, Goth chick, blue-hair, purple-hair, and pink tips with her blue-haired sister...
Pippin:  They have names!
Legolas:  Not like you remember names, Pippin.
Pippin:  I remember some!
Lilith:  As I was saying, I've already hit adult, so the young adults are the only real options, yet I get dragged along anyway to play eye candy for the camera since a certain Watcher has this thing for redheads, but never actually picks me.
Pippin:  In my defense, I also never pick your sister!
Lilith:  (glares)
Legolas:  I think you just made it worse.
Gimli:  Aye, lad.  Best to just let the lass continue.
Lilith:  Thank you.  As I was saying, I'm constantly overlooked.  Even when I thought I had the perfect costume to be noticed during the spooky party.

Lilith:  Yep, there I was looking blue and glorious wearing what I was assured was a one-of-a-kind costume so I'd fit in with the family, and then what happens?

Lilith:  Yep, shown up by that little blue-haired harpy of a dynasty fiance.  That's right, blue-haired.  Where's that love of redheads now, Watcher?
Gimli:  To clarify, when she says "Watcher" all angrily like that, she means you.
Pippin:  Yeah, I got that, thanks.
Lilith:  Even the little blonde Fyres girl got more attention than I did.

Lilith:  Yes, the blonde child who wears a bathrobe to a costume party!
Pippin:  But she was so cute!
Lilith:  (glare)
Pippin:  Sorry.
Lilith:  And look, it's me going to a party.  Again.

Lilith:  And oh look, Nina Caliente.

Lilith:  Yep.  Curvy redhead who actually gets chosen as a spouse in Pippin stories.
Pippin:  But she's so nice...
Lilith:  Nice?!?!?  My last name is literally Pleasant!
Gimli:  Lass has a point.
Pippin:  You're not helping!
Legolas:  In his defense, I don't think he's trying to.  Although Pleasant seems amusingly ironic right now.
Legolas:  ...but please tell us more about how awful Pippin is.

Lilith:  Oh look, the dad romantically proposes to his non-redhead wife with a cup of kava.  Guess I'll get dragged along to a wedding party.  Whoopie.
Legolas:  You poor dear!
Pippin:  Stop taking her side!

Lilith:  And the heart-covered wedding attire?  What is she, a toddler?
Legolas:  I mean, kind of.
Pippin:  It's cute!
Lilith:  I'm cute!

Lilith:  And what the heck is wrong with their oldest child?
Gimli:  Aye, seems like he missed the seating area slightly.
Lilith:  And oh look, someone who's not me having a romantic marriage moment.

Lilith:  And what was up with her wedding vows and ring exchange?!?!?
Chaza:  Ring around the rosie.  Pocket full of posies.  Ashes ashes.  We all fall down.
Pippin:  What?  It had "ring" in it!  That's pretty close for her.
Lilith:  And what happens after the wedding?  Oh, that's right, another party.

Lilith:  Oh golly, here's that other Lilith.  You know, Pippin, the one you actually have chosen as a spouse for a dynasty before?
Pippin:  Hey, I accidentally burned her to a crisp in my IDC!
Legolas:   That's...that's really the defense you're using?
Pippin:  ...yes?
Gimli:  Alright, lass, make him squirm more.  It's funny!
Lilith:  Well, you know what's not funny?  He's probably planning to marry that vamp harpy into this dynasty later on to do the vampire big dream since she gets to be immortal.
Pippin:  Ooo, that's a great idea!
Lilith:  Are you serious right now?
Pippin:  ...should I not be?

Lilith:  And look, there she is puking in the dynasty house because she ate some regular food.
Pippin:  Ooo, or maybe she's pregnant!  Her babies will be so beautiful and can marry into...
Pippin:  Never mind.

Lilith:  And meantime, there's my no-longer-best-friend hugging his newest replacement bestie after I spent hours of my young adult life helping to look after his children and I don't even get greeted when I come to these parties.
Pippin:  But you do keep coming.
Pippin:  ...I'm sorry.  You were saying?
Lilith:  And we turn around and it's the same thing over again.  Another.  Stupid.  Wedding.

Lilith:  And of course, I get the spot next to the oldest son who's just waiting around for his stupid little teen girlfriend to age up so they can invite me to another stupid wedding.

Lilith:  Seriously, if I have to put up with another moment of this stupid wedding nonsense, I just might puke.
Pippin:  Just like the other Lilith!
Lilith:  Are you mocking my pain on purpose, or do you just really not get people?
Pippin:  It's probably that second one.
Lilith:  And those stupid vows!

Halvin:  One ring to rule them all, one right to find them.

Yuki:  One ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
Gimli:  Hey!  I wrote those vows!
Legolas:  Stole those vows, maybe?
Gimli:  Aye, fair enough.
Lilith:  And after the wedding, another stupid party.  Though at least this one was a little more interesting.

Lilith:  Oh, and look whose life was protected at all costs.

Lilith:  Yep, little miss Morgan gets chosen as spouse material.  Not me.
Pippin:  Well, I mean, it's not like anything's been officially decided on that.

Lilith:  Yeah, he looks really indecisive.
Legolas:  How does he do that with the plate?
Gimli:  Lad's obviously a wizard.
Lilith:  Well, he couldn't work any life saving magic for his hysterical father.

Lilith:  That weird mom, though.  She is weirdly persuasive.

Chaza:  My eyes are squishy!
Grim:  Umm, are you gonna plead for his life?
Chaza:  Squishy squishy squishy!!
Grim:  Ummm, someone needs to stay here and take care of you.  I'm letting him off the hook.
Chaza:  Who put him on a hook?  Are we fishing?
Lilith:  Seriously, how does that even work?  And then she got Grim to donate over a thousand simoleans to her political cause!  Ugh!  And then, the last straw came as that almost-deceased Sim who, just like his nasty Watcher, completely overlooked me as a potential spouse for his sons, finishes off his Super Best Friend achievement with...

Lilith:  my sister!  That's right, Pippin, the one you "never" pick for anything.  I'm a random footnote in his best friend conquest, but she's the oh-so-special one who completes it.
Pippin:  Oh.  That was bad timing.
Legolas:  She's so pretty!
Lilith:  What?!?!?!?
Legolas:  I said...she's...pretty helpful...being best friended and such...let's talk more about Pippin.
Lilith:  (sigh) And so, yes, I hate everything!
And with it proven that Pippin is the worst Watcher ever...
Pippin:  I'm not even her Watcher!
Gimli:  Aye, lad, but that's because of her point that ye've never married her into a dynasty.
Lilith:  Exactly!
Pippin:  Stop being on her side!
we bid farewell to the far more married and massively partied out TookAlot household.

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
Re: TookAlot Big Dream Dynasty, Chapter 8: When Pleasant Isn't
« Reply #44 on: October 31, 2022, 02:02:17 PM »

Haha, poor Lilith! She really does look quite distressed in some of those pictures. It seems to me the "lass" made a pretty good case. How will Judge Pippin proceed? ;D

anything