Author Topic: Flowers of the Apocalypse: Project Failure  (Read 16769 times)

Online Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Flowers of the Apocalypse 1.1: Hey! Baby!
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2022, 12:15:54 PM »
Flowers of the Apocalypse 1.1: Hey! Baby!

Sara Scott: Hi there! Welcome to the neighbourhood!
Flint: Thank you very much. Ooh, is that fruitcake?
Sara: Yes – a family recipe. Do you want some?
Flint: Do you mind if I save it for later? I’m not hungry right now but I understand it keeps?
Sara: Longer than you might want it to!
Flint: You’d be surprised. So you and Simon live next door?
Sara: Yes. We’re the pub owners although the pub’s disappeared and there are a lot of other people running around saying they are the pub owners too. It’s a bit confusing but at least we’ve got a roof over our heads, albeit a bunker roof.
Flint: Just like mine! I’m in the Culinary career, by the way.
Sara: Oh, well if we ever open our pub again, maybe you could be a Mixologist for us?
Flint: Maybe…

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Flint: I must stay calm! Even though I’ve got to stay in with no visitors from dusk till dawn (Detective), I must stay calm! Even though I hate the lack of décor (Business Manager), I must stay calm! I will stay calm.

Agatha: Thanks for inviting me in to play chess although it’s nearly 7pm.
Flint: I know. Curfew time. I try to be with other people all day so I don’t mind it too much at night on my own. Besides, I’m out working half the night four times a week. It’s not so bad…
Agatha: Maybe you should find that special someone? You know – someone to share your life with?
Flint: It’s not that easy. Besides I’ve got some time…
Agatha: Tick Tock!

Flint: Maybe….maybe…. Argh! What am I doing? Daydreaming about flirting with Agatha! I suspect the old girl would be a great housemate but she’s not going to help bring in the next generation. I need to meet more people!

Maira: Hello!
Faith: Hi Maira.
Flint: So I was wondering…
Maira: Watcha doin?
Flint: Just being friendly.
Maira: You know that Agnes doesn’t allow any flirting? (Diamond Agent)
Faith: It’s OK, Maira. Flint is just being friendly, like he said. Go on, Flint. You were saying?
Flint: Oh, maybe later.

Victor: Do you like my hat?
Flint: I don’t understand. Have you just graduated?
Victor: No. No. I just like wearing the hat.
Lily: Isn’t he silly. Come on, dear. I’ve got some really juicy gossip about Sofia.
Victor: No! Pregnant again?
Flint: Anyway, Ximena, you were saying that you’re a mayor too?
Ximena: That’s right. You can tell by the veiled fascinator.
Flint: There’s quite a few of you.
Ximena: It’s a new job-share program. I think it’s down to the new restrictions…

Watcher: What are you doing?
Flint: Just watering this wild plant.
Watcher: Just a minute…(checking notes)…OK. You can do that. Just don’t pick anything.
Flint: There’s nothing to pick. Speaking of which, you know you want me to find a mate?
Watcher: I know! I know! Faith and Jane are both Erratic, Briana is a Kleptomaniac, Genesis is a Mean Party-Animal. What about Whitney?
Flint: She’s a Romantic Childish Insider. It’s not ideal. Ximena is Ambitious, Creative and Outgoing. Those are great traits.
Watcher: She’s OK. She would do…

Flint: Hi again, Sara.
Sara: Oh – hi, Flint. Ms Landgraab!
Nancy: Ah – yes. The new man, Flint, is it?
Flint: That’s right, ma’am.
Nancy: You don’t look like your ID photo.
Flint: No ma’am. I have no water to shave with. This beard appeared overnight!
Nancy: Hm. You haven’t found a housemate yet. You do know that those dwellings are in short supply. If you can’t find anyone to share with you, we’ll have to move a randomer in? (Private Attorney)
Flint: What, anyone?
Nancy: We need the world repopulated and you need to play your part. You’ve got a max of 2 weeks.
Flint: OK, OK. I get to it.
Nancy: I’ll be watching!

Watcher: Oh – look – one of the delivery girls is cute…
Flint: Hello, Mara, I see you are a Neat, Vegetarian Green Fiend.
Mara: Yes. And you’re so Incredibly Friendly that we’re already good friends. Yes, I will tell you my Romantic and WooHoo interests.
Flint: So…you’re not interested in anyone…romantically or for WooHoo.
Mara: Nope!
Agnes: What are you talking about, hairy man? That sounds like flirty talk to me. You know that’s not allowed except between contracted couples!
Flint: But I need to find out if we can have children together!
Agnes: Dirty talk! Dirty talk!

Watcher: Look! Another delivery girl and wow, she’s gorgeous!
Flint: Hello, my name is Flint.
Cleo: Hello, my new good friend!
Flint: So how do you feel about WooHoo?
Cleo: Oh yes! With anyone!
Flint: Great – so we could have children together?
Cleo: Oh no. I’d need to be interested in you romantically and I’m not bothered about romance with anyone.
Flint: What? Is it the beard? I’m so confused!
Agnes: Dirty talk! Dirty talk!
Flint: Argh! I give up!

Flint: Hey! Wait up! Can’t I introduce myself?
Jeanette: Gotta go!

Flint: Ah well, I’ve still got one more week! Ah – it’s Saturday pm, the phones have opened up (Computer Engineer). Hey boss! Can I negotiate a bonus? Great – level 6 and I choose Chef!

Progress
Generation 1
Flint Acoma
: Founder; Neat, Active, Self-Assured; Culinary-Chef 6/10

Notes

I have unchecked the box to stop my game showing Wants/Fears but still they appear. I try to ignore them but the one about flirting with Agatha was too funny to pass over.

I’m finding the romantic/woohoo interests very annoying! Is it true to life? Who knows! Although romantic interactions are not allowed before moving in someone to be a spouse (Diamond Agent), I am allowing their interests to be discovered. Agnes doesn't agree with my judgement unfortunately.  Cleo was gorgeous but having done a bit of research, you can’t Try For a Baby unless the couple are romantically interested in each other which definitely isn’t true to life! I have nearly saddled poor Flint with 2 useless housemates – Mara & Cleo (only spouses bringing in next gen can clear careers). I don’t think it would have been a fail but I couldn’t have moved them out (Military Officer). I don’t think I can disable the interests without a mod…

I have no idea why there are so many mayors, shop owners, delivery people, etc. I have tried starting a different game without knocking down the pub in case that was the problem but they were all still there so I resumed the original. They keep generating too! I’m going to have a Simverse full of HoB characters!

Although Flint's house is Off-Grid and phones won't work there, if he goes into the village centre (not travelling) he can get a signal there to find a job and negotiate bonuses. The phone restrictions (Computer Engineer) are lifted between noon and 6pm on Saturdays.

Title: Hey! Baby! 1962 hit from Bruce Channel, chosen for the line “I want to know if you'll be my girl"

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Flowers of the Apocalypse 1.1: Hey! Baby!
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2022, 05:10:00 PM »
I really dislike the wants/fears system.  I've disabled it, but it reappears whenever my sims travel or come out of CAS, requiring me to toggle wants/fears back on, then off again. It's really annoying.
On the other hand, sexual orientation cannot be toggled off. Is it the AC rules that require a romantic relationship before trying for baby?
(I was thinking of the "Ask to Be Woohoo Partners social, lol.)
Good luck, Flint, finding that special someone.

That's too bad about the duplication of the main HoB roles.
I checked EA Answers (as I'm sure you did, too) and the bug's been arround since the July HSY patch.
That bug must make Finchwick darn near unplayable...
I'd planned on having an NSB generation move there, but I'm reconsidering.
Just curious, did you encounter the same problem with you Pink NSB generation or had you not played them enough to notice the bug?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2022, 05:28:31 PM »

I love Flint being so lonely he wants to flirt with Agatha, and then Agnes smacking him around just for asking about romantic/woohoo interests! Too good! :D

Online Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2022, 05:32:50 PM »
I really dislike the wants/fears system.  I've disabled it, but it reappears whenever my sims travel or come out of CAS, requiring me to toggle wants/fears back on, then off again. It's really annoying.
On the other hand, sexual orientation cannot be toggled off. Is it the AC rules that require a romantic relationship before trying for baby?
(I was thinking of the "Ask to Be Woohoo Partners social, lol.)
Good luck, Flint, finding that special someone.

That's too bad about the duplication of the main HoB roles.
I checked EA Answers (as I'm sure you did, too) and the bug's been arround since the July HSY patch.
That bug must make Finchwick darn near unplayable...
I'd planned on having an NSB generation move there, but I'm reconsidering.
Just curious, did you encounter the same problem with you Pink NSB generation or had you not played them enough to notice the bug?
Ah - I'll try toggling the Wants/Fears on and then off again - thanks for that.

Romance required for Try For a Baby is a gameplay restriction, not an AC one. Flint fortunately asked Cleo to be WooHoo Partners before moving her in after she'd stated her romantic/woohoo interests. I'd not tried that interaction before so I was experimenting. I clicked on the double bed to see what came up. Try For A Baby was greyed out with the explanation that they needed to be in a romantic relationship and, once Cleo had declared she wasn't interested in a Romantic relationship, no other romantic interactions are possible. I'm very grateful that I hadn't moved her in. She was surprisingly calm about Flint cancelling their partnership - I suspect it's the beard!

The HoB duplication is actually really funny. Willie in my NSB is a real loner so she's not really encountered it much. It's probably a big issue if you want to run the errands as you'd have to keep careful track of which person you were doing it for. Flint has to stay in his neighbourhood so he's only done a couple of errands - deliver the package and 3 Henford Heart-to-Hearts. It's a good way to get a bowl of food for the new housemate he has.... ;)

Online Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2022, 05:35:34 PM »

I love Flint being so lonely he wants to flirt with Agatha, and then Agnes smacking him around just for asking about romantic/woohoo interests! Too good! :D
I know! I fell about laughing at that one! This Granny is happy to know that Flint isn't age-ist.
Agnes is so keen on the no romance restriction that I reckon she'll scupper any attempt to clear Diamond Agent just to keep it in place!

Online Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Flowers of the Apocalypse 1.2: You Were Made For Me
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2022, 04:45:12 AM »
Flowers of the Apocalypse 1.2: You Were Made For Me

Watcher: I can’t find them!
Flint: But you ran the batch conversion. I distinctly remember you did that.
Watcher: Then I emptied the Screenshot folder, went to my designated folder and they just weren’t there!
Flint: Go back to the conversion program and check the destination folder.
Watcher: I can see where they should have gone but they’re not there. I think it might be because I was repairing the game while I ran the conversion?
Flint: Maybe you shouldn’t empty the Screenshot folder until you’ve checked the destination one?
Watcher: Well telling me that is like telling me to shut the stable door after the horse has bolted!
Flint: Google is suggesting File History?
Watcher: Not enabled – I’m out of my depth here and IT Guy has just gone for a run.
Flint: OK – take a breath – just tell them the highlights, use the screensnips and if IT Guy can find the pics we’ll add them later.
Watcher: OK – I just need a mo – you start.
Flint: Oh – the recorder was on for that? Never mind. Moving on!

Flint: Well, last week’s run of luck continued at the start of the week. Worse actually. Ximena, who “would have done” didn’t show up. Only the “wouldn’t do” candidates kept knocking at my door. They just want company but I need more. Besides, I was running out of time. Then this mother and daughter pair showed up on my doorstep. I didn’t even need to jog into the village square. They were both glorious red-heads and the daughter had green eyes!
Watcher: Um…
Flint: Agnes was nowhere to be seen so I quickly established that the daughter was very Romantic. Yes! And WooHoo. Yes!
Watcher: That red hair was a bit of a clue.
Flint: Well I know that now but – look at her – she’s amazing-looking. I was surprised that she was happy to leave her mother and move in with me. She said her household was complicated. She’d got a sister – a blond – plus some good-looking guy. I’m not sure how he fitted in.
Watcher: No-one is sure where he fits in!
Flint: I was worried he might be a problem but when I kissed her for the first time, she said she’d never had a first kiss before either. It was really special!
Watcher: It was a surprise, tbh. She wasn’t very happy about losing all her make-up and accessories but she’s still really attractive.

Flint: It’s a shame that she hates fitness. And the Basic decor. And my outfits.
Watcher: What about the beard?
Flint: She quite likes it. Says it tickles. She looks so different in her Sports outfit!
Watcher: Not that she'll be wearing that much. Oh - she could learn to meditate - that might help the situation.

Flint: She wakes up in a foul mood everyday but at least she’s getting good at Handiness – repairing the dolls house every time she breaks it. She was really cross when her sister visited and I was a bit flirty..
Watcher: You need to watch that – we need you and Nina to be rock-solid. I know Dina has better traits but it seems that loving a total opposite makes you extra flirty…

Flint: And our flirting always cheers her up.
Watcher: I’m worried about that lazy trait.
Flint: She signed up for the Gardener career and then got busy with the planter. She’s found that she likes gardening. We now have spinach, basil, parsley and chocoberry thanks to the seed she had to buy plus stuff that the villagers have given us. Only one planter allowed and none of it’s safe to eat but we’re storing all the produce in a box in the basement. Maybe one day we can use it or sell it.
Watcher: It’s a shame she doesn’t like that fruitcake you saved.
Flint: She was glad of it at the end of the week when she was starving and I’d run out of the grub meal.
Watcher: The bunker is so Grody (Environmental Manager) she gets sick any time she eats anything, even if it’s excellent. I’m glad you’re Forever Full and don’t suffer.
Flint: The sickness doesn’t last for long but we’ll need to sort that out soon.
Watcher: Speaking of children…
Flint: We need the right time. Nina only has one day off at a time and only she can feed any babies (Doctor). Oh we’re taking it slow but she is my girlfriend now!

Progress (Year 1, Week 2 - Winter)
Generation 1
Flint Acoma
: Founder; Neat, Active, Self-Assured; Culinary-Chef 8/10
Nina Caliente: Gen 1 Girlfriend; Hot-Headed, Lazy, Romantic; Gardener 2/10

Notes
Nina is not eligible to clear a career until she brings in the next generation (AC rules) but she’s made a good start while they wait for the best timing (counts on fingers and checks work schedule)
IT Guy has returned but he's all worn out so I don't want to bother him. Besides - I think the screensnips will be enough.

Title: You Were Made for Me - 1963 hit by Freddie & the Dreamers

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: Flowers of the Apocalypse 1.2: You Were Made For Me
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2022, 11:52:36 AM »
Do you use IrfanView for your batch conversion?  Whichever program, could you check the setting which specifies the destination for converted files?
Haha, Nina Caliente--you are really intent on keeping the green eyes!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2022, 12:11:45 PM »

Another green eyed beauty! Let's hope they pass those on. I appreciate how you put the restrictions in parenthesis when talking about what they can and cannot do - helps me keep track of the rules. Poor hungry Nina.  :'( Will she be eligible to eat produce once she births the next generation, or does she have to max the gardening career first?

Online Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2022, 02:16:19 PM »
Do you use IrfanView for your batch conversion?  Whichever program, could you check the setting which specifies the destination for converted files?
Haha, Nina Caliente--you are really intent on keeping the green eyes!
I checked the destination but they've gone into the ether somewhere. I'll be more careful in future not to empty the Sims Screenshot folder before checking their new location.

Thanks for the tip about toggling the Wants/Fears on and off which worked for me, although you're right about it being very annoying to have to do that.

Yes - I was so relieved when Nina and her mother showed up. The other options were problematic and, however much it shouldn't matter what our Sims look like, I find it easier to play the Sims that I find more attractive. I suspect we all do :)

Online Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2022, 02:39:53 PM »

Another green eyed beauty! Let's hope they pass those on. I appreciate how you put the restrictions in parenthesis when talking about what they can and cannot do - helps me keep track of the rules. Poor hungry Nina.  :'( Will she be eligible to eat produce once she births the next generation, or does she have to max the gardening career first?
Eating harvested produce will have to wait for Nina to complete Gardener. The overall rules for this AC state that an heir may marry more than once but only the first one per generation to clear a career AND produce an the next gen is eligible. I may allow adoptions to qualify to be more inclusive but only when natural births are not an option.

Fresh plants can only be used for cooking when Chef is cleared but Flint should clear that first anyway. At that point our family still can't buy the produce until Nina is successful so they'll continue to be restricted to meat, flour, sugar, eggs, milk and canned goods and only one type at a time (Bodybuilder) but at least they'll have a fridge to keep them fresh and a cooker for more recipe options.

I seem to have a bug where the bought bread has 10 days shelf-life outside a fridge but if I go to Manage Worlds or out of the game, the shelf life goes down to 1 day! This has been problematic and I was tempted to buy some more to make up for it but Nina has managed without that so far!

Whilst her hunger regularly goes into the red, checking her status often reveals that she still has 10 or more hours before becoming ravenous. It's dangerous starving a hot-head but she doesn't know about me yet :)

Online Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Flowers of the Apocalypse 1.3: Baby Love
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2022, 12:16:01 PM »
Flowers of the Apocalypse 1.3: Baby Love

Nina: Take that!
Flint: Argh! I thought you were meditating.
Nina: I was and I had a moment of clarity.
Flint: Did it help with your feelings?
Nina: It made me realize we could have some fun in bed, right now.
Flint: This is fun?
Nina: Wassa matter, big boy? Scared of a wittle girlie?
Flint: Right! You asked for it!

Flint: I love you, Nina.
Nina: Where did that come from?
Flint: Don’t you love me?
Nina: Of course I do, Hairy Man. I’ve loved you since our first kiss.
Flint: Will you…I mean…well…I’ve got this ring…you don’t have to answer straight away…
Nina: Oh Flint! I’ve never seen you so lacking in Self-Assurance. YES! Of course – yes, I will marry you.
Flint: (speechless)

Ximena: Oh – hello – who are you?
Nina: I’m Nina, Flint’s housemate, I mean his fiancée. Who the Plumbob are you? Waltzing into my home without even knocking!
Ximena: Oh – I’m nobody – I mean I’m Ximena, one of the mayors. We’re all quite casual in Finchwick although not as casual as you appear to be. Is that your sleepwear?
Nina: What of it? Flint and I like to take “naps”. Maybe you should knock next time!
Ximena: Never mind. I just came to let Flint – and you, now – know that one of the Agnes’ has passed away. Flint had a few run-ins with her and I thought he’d like to know…well I’d been wondering now she’s not around…well I guess it doesn’t matter now.
Nina: OK, then. Shut the door on your way out!

Nina: So who is this Ximena?
Flint: She’s just someone I met before I met you.
Nina: She seemed a bit disappointed to meet me.
Flint: Well I was very pleased to meet you.
Nina: I should think so!

Flint: By the way, It’s Sunday evening…
Nina: And my day off is Thursday…
Flint: Let’s…”nap” properly?
Nina: Yes, LET’S!

Nina: Thanks for coming over in this weather.
Dina: I just wanted to clear things up. You know I’d never get in between you and a man!
Nina: Not just any man. My fiancée and (drum roll please) the father of the baby in my belly!
Dina: No! Really? That’s great news. Wait till Mum hears!

Nina: You can’t go now. The weather’s really closed in. It’s dangerous out there.

Dina: But I can’t stay here. You know the curfew rules. I have to leave before 7pm (Detective).
Nina: Just be careful – I don’t want to lose you. There’ve been a few deaths lately. Did you hear about Nancy Landgraab?
Dina: No! How did she die?
Nina: No-one knows, although that son of hers is no good. I’d believe anything of him!

Dina: Oops – it’s slippy out here! And deep! I’d better get back asap

Wednesday eve
Nina: Oh! Angelica! You’re Mama is so tired but so happy to see you.
Flint: What about her family name? Yours or mine?
Nina: Let’s combine them?
Flint: Calioma sounds weird, what about Acoiente?
Nina: Maybe…if we move the letters round a bit, we can have Aconite?
Flint: Wolfs-bane? No wolves here. But it sounds good. Let’s all be Aconite’s together!

Flint: Hush, hush! Your Mama has fed you and she needs her sleep. Papa’s here. He’ll take care of you tonight. I’ve got to work tomorrow afternoon but for now…oh! I didn’t know I could love anyone as much as I love your Mama!

Thursday late morning
Nina: What do you mean, you need to go to work! How will I manage?
Flint: You’re a great Mama. I’ve laid out all the nappies so they’re handy.
Nina: But what if she gets poorly?
Flint: She won’t. She’s warm, you’re feeding her. Just rock her and sing. I’ve got to go. I’m up for the top promotion – this could be it!

Flint: How are my gorgeous girls?
Nina: We’re great. Everything was fine but how did you do? You got your promotion?
Flint: Yes. You’re looking at a Celebrity Chef! I’ve found new ways to preserve food, and more economical ways to cook the available food making it go further. When the shops open on Sunday, we’re getting a fridge, a cooker and all the food we want! Plus we can choose a power generator, water generator or another bug farm.
Nina: I’m so proud of you, my own Hairy Man!
Flint: I’m going to do one more shift then I’m quitting to look after Angelica full time so you can concentrate on your career. One more promotion and then you’ll have your days off together.
Nina: More “napping”?
Flint: Definitely!

Progress (Year 1, Week 3 - Winter)

Generation 1

Flint Aconite: Founder; Neat, Active, Self-Assured; Culinary-Chef Completed week 3
Nina Aconite: Gen 1 Fiancé; Hot-Headed, Lazy, Romantic; Gardener 4/10

Generation 2
Angelica Aconite - Nooboo

Notes
Nina is eligible to clear a career now that Angelica has been born (AC rules).

Angelica is a tall herb with umbelliferous flowers. It is principally grown for its hollow stems that can be crystalized and used for green cake décor. I grew it once and tried the procedure. It tasted weird and not worth the effort. The plant itself was magnificent.

Aconite or Wolfs-bane seemed a fitting family name for our little Apocalypse family even though I don’t have the Werewolf pack.

I’m so happy to have Flint complete the first career.  The Culinary-Chef career restrictions that are now all lifted were:
•   No cookers, fridges, coolers or microwaves may be purchased or placed.
•   Any dish that requires fish, vegetables or fruits may not be prepared, ordered at restaurants or bought pre-made (still restricted by Botanist/Marine Biologist)
•   Glutton Sims may rummage in a garbage can ONCE per day.
•   You may only rummage in your garbage can. You may NOT rummage in garbage cans on community lots.
•   May not use Birthday cake to age up Sims.
•   Sims may not use Buffet Tables.
•   Sims may not use a campfire to roast marshmallows, fish, or vegetables.
•   May not watch the Cooking channel on TV (times still restricted by Actor).
•   May not purchase the 'Stoves and Grills Master', 'Hardly Hungry' or 'Forever Full' reward traits.
•   Lifting this restriction unlocks Fast Food Employee career.
•   May not use Chef’s Kitchen or Homey lot traits (can’t change until Civic Planner cleared)

Title: Baby Love – 1964 hit from The Supremes

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
Re: Flowers of the Apocalypse 1.3: Baby Love
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2022, 01:52:58 PM »

A fitting name in theme with "Flowers of the Apocalypse"! Welcome baby Angelica and congrats on finishing up the chef career. People can eat properly again; what a relief!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2022, 12:01:04 AM »
Congrats to Flint on clearing the first restriction.

I've been thinking about your lost screenshots.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Go Nina!

Online Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2022, 02:04:25 AM »
Congrats to Flint on clearing the first restriction.

I've been thinking about your lost screenshots.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Go Nina!
Thanks for the suggest. I'll take a look.  :)

Online Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Flowers of the Apocalypse 1.4: We Can Work It Out
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2022, 10:00:14 AM »
Flowers of the Apocalypse 1.4: We Can Work It Out

Nina: A fridge! I never thought I’d be so happy to see a fridge!
Flint: It’s the worst I’ve ever seen (Business-Management) but an Insta-Upgrade will help with that.
Nina: You’re amazing, Hairy Man! I’ll just try making a salad with this lettuce conserve and tomato sauce that you bought ages ago.
Flint: Mmm, well done!
Nina: Aren’t you hungry? Is it no good?
Flint: I never am, but this is amazing for a first attempt.

Sunday 9am on the dot
Shop Keeper: You’re very early.
Flint: We’ve got a fridge! I want to fill it up!
Shop Keeper: Well done! What can I get you?
Flint: Let’s start with the white meat. I’ll come back to get more stuff. (Bodybuilder)
Shop Keeper: Don’t forget we shut at 5pm

Flint: It’s my birthday today. I need to run back for some eggs so I can have a cake.
Nina: I got the cheese but don’t forget we need sugar too.
Flint: Just as well I love jogging. Have a good day at work my love. I’m rooting for your promotion! Geddit? Rooting for your gardener promotion?
Nina: Oh dear! That’s a groaner!
Flint: Angelica? What’s the matter, baby girl? I’ve changed your nappy and tried rocking you to sleep. You’re hungry? Well, it is the right time so … Happy Birthday, Angelica!
Angelica: Babble

Nina: I’m home and I got my promotion. You’re looking at a 9-to-5 girl, Monday to Friday! Oh, you aged up! What a sweetie you are! And the clothes package is adorable.

Nina: The generator’s on the blink!
Flint: Oh no! All the meat in the fridge has gone off! And we can’t get any more until next Sunday! (Retail)
Nina: What’s left? Angelica’s getting hungry.
Flint: You’re hungry too, love.
Nina: I can wait. What can she have?
Flint: Try her on the cheese. I really hope she’s not lactose-intolerant.
Nina: Oh look – she loves it. I just wish we’d thought to get bread. I’ll make a list for next Sunday. I’ll be home all day so we can both do the shopping runs.

Monday Evening
Flint: Mm – my favourite Calendar Girl
Nina: You say the nicest things!
Flint: It was you that pointed out that 4 days from now is Friday and then you’ve got 2 days off.
Nina: Do you think we’ve made a baby brother or sister for Angelica?
Flint: Whether or not, let’s elope right now!
Nina: That would make me so happy, Hairy Man.

Angelica: Bubbles!
Flint: Yes, bubbles for Angelly-Smelly-Boo!
Angelica: Smelly-Boo!
Flint: 6 times – one day we’ll have a bath for toddler washing (Environmental Manager) but the sink will do for now.

Nina: Brr – it’s so cold in here!
Flint: I suppose we could move the chess board down to the ground floor where the fire would keep us warm but why don’t you put your winter clothes on?
Nina: I thought you liked me in my sleepwear?
Flint: Well, while you’re dressed for bed, there’s another way to get warm?
Nina: Yes, let’s!

Friday evening
Nina: Ooh – my back! I thought today would never end. I’m so glad my pregnancy symptoms didn’t stop my promotion. So great to go into the weekend as a Stem Researcher!

Nina: It’s time!
Flint: What? Now? We’re not ready!
Nina: Silly Hairy Man. You know we are! Come on, down to the basement bedroom.

Arrow: Gurgle
Nina: Baby Arrow. Welcome to our world, little man.
Arrow: Gurgle

Flint: Phew! I’m so proud of Nina. She’s doing so well at work without all the advantages I had growing up. Plus she’s given me 2 beautiful children. I love just watching her catch up on all the sleep she deserves. We’re going to be busy looking after baby Arrow and little Angelica tomorrow – the last day of Winter. I wonder what Spring will bring…

Progress (Year 1, Week 4 - Winter)

Generation 1
Flint Aconite
: Founder; Adult; Neat, Active, Self-Assured; Culinary-Chef Completed week 3
Nina Aconite: Gen 1 Spouse; Young Adult; Hot-Headed, Lazy, Romantic; Gardener-Botanist 6/10

Generation 2
Angelica Aconite
– Toddler
Arrow Aconite - Nooboo

Notes

These AC rules only allow one upgrade per item (Mechanical Engineer) but don’t mention Insta-Upgrades so Flint is doing them as his 1 upgrade per item. It’s not possible on the beds but everything else is as good as it can be. Although Flint can also do Insta-Repairs, he’s doing any repairs the hard way to build up a supply of upgrade parts to use for other things.

Arrow is a UK river, flowing through Worcestershire and Warwickshire. Walking along it was one of my local pleasures during the Covid lock-down. He is our second flower – a cryptic crossword favourite that gets me every time so I thought I’d share it with you. We’ll be working through the alphabet for children’s names, doubling up some letters to make up for the tricky ones.

Nina is doing amazingly well. She is hungry most of the time but it takes her a long time to become ravenous. One power generator just isn’t enough for our little household’s fridge but there won’t be another until Nina tops her career. Until then they’ll be surviving on occasional grub dogs plus bread and cheese with their glitchy use-by dates. The welcome-fruitcake has all gone now.

Title: We Can Work It Out – 1965 hit from The Beatles

anything