Author Topic: Flowers of the Apocalypse: Project Failure  (Read 16721 times)

Online Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Flowers of the Apocalypse: Project Failure
« on: August 26, 2022, 06:21:03 AM »
Date: November 1st, 21XX
Program: The Apocalypse Challenge

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Briefing

The Citizens of our Simverse are calling on you, Flint Acoma - graduate of the Heroic Wonder Child project, to build on your training and become the ultimate hero, in homage to your genetic bloodline.

You have been selected from among your fellow trainees to forge a home, a life and a dynasty that will ultimately redeem our Simverse from its post-apocalyptic chaos. You have been protected from most of it’s effects until this point but it is time to face the reality. Our Agency will provide you with support as and when possible but you will need to be self-reliant for the most part.

We hope and pray that you will be able to flourish in your endeavours and trust that our investment in you will bear fruit in abundance.

Table of Contents
Extras Generation 1
1.1: Hey! Baby!
1.2: You Were Made For Me
1.3: Baby Love
1.4: We Can Work It Out
1.5: Keep On Running
1.6-7: You Keep Me Hangin On
1.8-9: Something's Happening
Generation 2
2.1: Everything is Beautiful
2.2: Knock Three Times
2.3: Goodbye To Love
2.4: Ghetto Child
2.5: There's A Ghost In My House
2.6: Angie Baby
2.7: Harvest For The World
2.8: How Deep Is Your Love
Generation 3
3.1: You're the One That I Want
3.2: We Are Family

PROJECT FAILURE

Online Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Flowers of the Apocalypse: Background
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2022, 06:21:41 AM »
Background

Our challenge begins where another one ended with some groundwork done in between.

Our 7 heroes achieved greatness and notoriety during their exploits, recorded for posterity here

Although they did many things to benefit our Simverse, the final project undertaken by Katniss Everdeen, to defeat The Mother in Strangerville, was not completed soon enough to call off the nuclear air-strike launched by the military.

Fingers have been pointed, scapegoats culprits found and disciplined but the lasting effects of the nuclear strike continue to be felt throughout the Simverse. There is a breakdown of utilities, environment, technologies and law. Many issues are exacerbated by incompetent or corrupt officials.

Clones of our heroes have been raising new heroes – Wonder Children, if you will – each of whom has been prepared for the task of redeeming our Simverse. The raising of the 5 Wonder Children is recorded for posterity here.

Sam Weatherwax 938
Robyn Redbreast 1193
Coral Odrade 835
Flint Acoma 1112
Julienne Alvarez 1241

As can be seen, Julienne Alvarez has shown the greatest response to her training but a male founder is thought to be more advantageous. Flint's score is higher than Sam's, plus Sam's Recycle-Disciple trait is seen as a disadvantage. Flint Acoma has been chosen as our founder.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Flowers of the Apocalypse: Settings/Location/Gameplay
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2022, 06:22:29 AM »
Start-up/Current Gameplay Settings
Lifespan: Normal
Seasons: 28-day seasons, starting in Winter
Lifestyles: OFF – does anyone play with these on?
Auto Aging: ON for everyone, including animals
Eco Footprint gameplay: ON
Neighborhood Stories System: fully ON for Other Households

Weather: Sims affected; thunderstorms & blizzards ON (Conservationist-Environmental manager)
Autonomy: Full
Fame: OFF (Actor)
Wants/Fears: Not shown (Painter)
NPC voting on NAPs: ON (Civil Designer-Green Technician)

Mods: none

Start-up/Current Lot
Henford-on-Bagley
Off-Grid, Simple-Living, Grody
Homey, Great Acoustics, Great Soil

Gameplay
Although I've attempted Pinstar's original challenge previously, this is my first attempt at this updated version. I fully expect to fall at one of the first posts and was tempted to keep it to myself until I'd cleared at least the first career. However I have clearly become an over-sharer and hopefully publishing it will keep me on my toes. If you spot something in my tale that you think/know is a restriction infringement, do let me know. It's part of the challenge.

Current Status
Year 2, Week 3, Winter
Careers cleared: 6 out of 45
PROJECT FAILURE
Generation 1: complete
Generation 2: 4/5 complete
Generation 3: 2/4 started

Online Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Flowers of the Apocalypse: The Flowers
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2022, 06:23:01 AM »
Generation 1
Flint Aconite (ne Acoma) - cleared Culinary-Chef in week 3 - deceased
Nina Aconite (ne Caliente) - cleared Gardener-Botanist in week 9

Generation 2
Angelica Aconite - cleared Civil Designer-Civic Planner in week 15
Arrow Aconite - cleared Athlete-Bodybuilder in week 15
Alvaro Bheeda - cleared Military-Officer in week 18
Avon Aconite - cleared Business-Management in week 19
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

1 more in progress

Generation 3
2 in progress

Online Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Flowers of the Apocalypse: Challenge Rules (modified 15-9-22)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2022, 06:23:34 AM »
Challenge Rules

I will be following the rules given by Florrie64 at https://florrieschallenge.weebly.com/ which is an update from Pinstar’s original challenge (bows head with reverent awe)

There are several significant changes to the challenge besides moving suitable restrictions to the Civil Designer/Conservationist/Engineer/Education careers.

As I do not have Paranormal pack, the Paranormal Investigator restrictions will be divided between the following careers:
Writer-Author (mythology)
•   Sims may not plead with the Grim Reaper
•   You may not keep a death flower in your inventory to give to the Grim Reaper.
•   You may not cook or eat ambrosia.
Doctor (health)
•   A family Sim’s grave or urn may not be moved from where it originally appears.
•   If a family sim has died off the home lot, you are allowed to move it to the home lot.
•   Graves and urns may not be placed into household inventory.

As is ever thus, there have been subsequent Sims releases and changes to gameplay and so I have made a few more adjustments, notably for Cottage Living, but also for my own personal gameplay preference

Babysitter career
The in-game random trait generator should be used but also roll a di for each new trait: 1-2 keeps the game generated trait, 3-4 and 5-6 mean rolling again to take a trait from the mother or father respectively; 1-2=1st trait, 3-4=2nd trait, 5-6=3rd trait. This keeps an element of chance and also nurture/nature theory. It hopefully makes this rule future-proof for further changes/expansions. Teen/YA aspirations should be randomly generated using James Turners app or similar

Civil Designer – Civic Planner
May not have any property traits other than challenges. The 'Off the grid' challenge MUST be selected until this lift is achieved.

Conservationist-Environmental manager
The “Grody” lot challenge must be selected
Extreme weather (thunderstorms/blizzards) must be on.

Culinary-Chef
Rather than restricting cooking to hot-dogs/tofu-dogs/grub-dogs and only once a day, the Simple-Living lot challenge (retail) plus no fridge (culinary), only shopping on Sunday (retail) and only carrying 1 item stack (bodybuilder) will serve as sufficient restriction. Food items are allowed to be held in personal inventory.

Culinary-Mixologist
Drinks are allowed but the “Grody” lot challenge (see Conservationist-Environment restriction) makes it risky

Detective
No jewelry/sunglasses. If Sims age up with jewelry/etc, they should be removed in CAS. They may be "stored" and then used by any household member (before Retail cleared) once this career is cleared.

Education
With the High School Pack enabled, teens may only go to school for the Friday exams and that is optional.  This rule is currently under a gameplay review

Engineer - Mechanical
Not allowed to use pop-up ice-rinks or roller parks

Gardener-Botanist
Plants (esp edible ones) may not be bought from anywhere except by the Sim attempting this career.

Retail Employee
The “Simple-Living” lot challenge will replace the “must have all fresh ingredients”
The Sunday restriction applies to items purchased from market traders eg in HoB. Note restrictions from other careers, eg no plants (botanist) and to books purchased through bookshelves.

Style Influencer
Hair Colour may still not be changed in CAS. Hairstyle should be simple, with or without plain clips/ties/scarves (fancy ones allowed after Detective cleared but keep hairstyle simple until this career cleared) with no extra tints. Make-up should be removed.
The clothes that come with each birthday may be catalogued and swapped between the household members in CAS. This modification is to simulate the concept of a social-care pack of clothes arriving and the household sharing/arguing over them. It will require some detailed note-taking and it would be simpler to just not change them if preferred. Once this career is cleared, there are no further wardrobe restriction.

Lot Traits
Lot challenge traits required at start-up are: Off-Grid (Civic Designer-Civic Planner), Simple-Living (Retail Employee), Grody (Conservationist-Environmental). To set off-grid lighting to auto, temporarily remove the off-grid challenge.

Other lot traits may not be used/changed until Civic Planner is cleared. They are further restricted as follows:
Bracing Breezes – Civil Designer-Green Technician
Breeding Ground – Secret Agent-Villain
Cat Hangout – Secret Agent-Villain
Celebrity Home - Actor
Chef’s Kitchen – Culinary-Chef
Child’s Play - Babysitter
Convivial – Culinary-Mixologist
Dog Hangout – Secret Agent-Villain
Eco Lot – Civil Designer-Green Technician
Fast Internet – Engineer-Computer
Geothermal – Civil Designer-Green Technician
Gnomes – Writer-Author
Good Schools – Education
Great Acoustics – Civil Designer-Civic Planner
Great Soil – Gardener-Botanist
Home Studio - Painter
Homey – Culinary-Chef
Island Spirits – Writer-Author
Mean Vibe – Criminal-Boss
Natural Light – Civil Designer-Green Technician
Natural Well – Conservationist-Marine Biologist
On Ley Line - Doctor
Party Place – Entertainer-Comedian
Peace & Quiet – Law-Private Attorney
Penny Pixies – Writer-Author
Private Dwelling - Detective
Romantic Aura – Secret Agent-Diamond Agent
Science Lair - Scientist
Study Spot - Education
Sunny Aspect – Conservation-Environmental Manager
Teen Neighbourhood - Education
Training Ground – Secret Agent-Villain

Modifications
6-9-22 added "No jewelry/sunglasses" to Detective career; No make-up and simple hairstyles added to Style Influencer.
7-9-22 removed "high school pack disabled" for Education- it's not possible without uninstalling
15-9-22 added Education "With the High School Pack enabled, teens may only go to school for the Friday exams and that is optional.  This rule is currently under a gameplay review"
19-9-22 Aspiration generation for Babysitter career signposted to James Turner website
29-9-22 added Engineer - Mechanical: Not allowed to use pop-up ice-rinks or roller parks

Online Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Flowers of the Apocalypse: Acknowledgements
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 06:24:28 AM »
Acknowledgements
The original Apocalypse Challenge from Pinstar was ground-breaking and still stands as a great challenge. https://simslegacychallenge.com/sims-4-apocalypse-challenge-rules/

The updated version by Florrie64 at https://florrieschallenge.weebly.com/ has done the lions share of work that I was contemplating. It is well laid out and the restriction updates/changes are either logical or charmingly quirky. It is, for the main part, what I will be following.

Having come up with the concept of an Apocalypse Challenge following an over-hasty military action launched against the Mother in Strangerville during my 7 hero challenge, I have since found other similar and very well thought-out projects. I like the prequel one from Raerei’s Fortress at https://raereigames.wordpress.com/

The Wonder Child Challenge by Pinstar https://simslegacychallenge.com/wonder-child-challenge-rules/ was used to generate my WCs

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
Re: Flowers of the Apocalypse: Waiting for Final Wonder Child
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2022, 07:59:13 PM »

Looking forward to this! *thumbs up*

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Flowers of the Apocalypse: Groundwork
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 06:53:34 AM »
Flowers of the Apocalypse: Groundwork

Duke: Lady & Duke – the Dream Team – back together again!
Lady: We do work well together, don’t we, bro?
Duke: The agency is still dressing us in monochrome for these projects, I see!
Lady: A bit of colour would make a nice change but, hey, we need to blend in.

Duke: Well sis, what do we need to do in this neighbourhood?
Lady: Henford-on-Bagley! It’s the same as all the other districts.
Duke: How many buildings need bulldozing here?
Lady: Just 4
Duke: 4! Not the Gnome’s Arms!
Lady: Yep. It was destabilized as well. Besides, no-one is visiting bars anymore, only to trash them. Plus we need more residences.
Duke: Please tell me that we’ve still got the original plans for the HoB cottages!
Lady: They’re tucked away in some gallery, waiting until they’re possible again.

Duke: Right, that’s the ground bulldozed and stabilized.
Lady: The concrete does look ugly, but it’s the only way to remove the worst of the radiation.
Duke: Isn’t it going to cause industrial pollution?
Lady: Better that than radiation poisoning!

Duke: One bog-standard bunker coming up!
Lady: Indeed – it’s a shame this cube is the only stable structure shape we can currently authorize.

Duke: Until we find/design some stronger plans, this is what everyone gets.
Lady: Couldn’t we make them different colours?
Duke: Everyone needs the same so there’s less covetousness - less crime.
Lady: No-one wants what they’ve got but they don’t want anyone else’s…makes sense. Very egalitarian.
Duke: Except for what we go back to!
Lady: Sh! No-one needs to know that some are more equal than others!

Duke: Time for a Bunker Tour to check everything off the list?
Lady: Basement: 1 double bed, 1 single bed, 1 toddler bed, 1 bassinet, 1 shower.
Duke: The water coming out of that shower looks a bit Grody
Lady: Yes - not very hygenic.

Duke: Ground Floor: 1 WC, 1 bookshelf (currently empty), 1 fireplace, 1 mirror, 1 Mitey Mitey bug farm, 1 BBQ drum, 1 indoor waste bin, 2 kitchen counters, 1 sink, 1 dining table, 2 chairs, 1 sofa, 1 coffee table, 1 football.
Lady: Plus the outdoor trash and mailbox. It’s as dark as the basement on this floor!
Duke: The residents are allowed ground floor windows but they all blocked them up for security so we’ve stopped putting them in. Just 1 sturdy door.
Lady: No fridge?
Duke: It's all Simple-Living here. Hand-to-mouth, literally.
Lady: Where can they get food?
Duke: The stall in the village is open on Sundays. No fruit or veg but there's bread, cheese and some sort of meat. Just don't ask what sort of meat and you won't mind...
Lady: But the meat won't keep all week without a fridge!
Duke: The bread & cheese will. Plus the bug farm will produce stuff if they feed it!
Lady (shudders): Compost loos!
Duke: The one obvious upgrade!

Lady: 1st Floor: 1 chessboard & 2 chairs
Duke: Not much on this floor but plenty of room for skilling objects depending on the residents work.
Lady: Nice to have some windows for daylight.
Duke: Yes, there won’t be any power yet. It’s all off-grid and they have to earn a generator.

Lady: Oh yes – max a career and they get their choice of a power generator, water extractor or another bug farm. Difficult choice!
Duke: We can only provide the basics and then support those that help themselves.
Lady: I see the Scotts are next door. Who is this bunker for?
Duke: That hasn’t been determined yet. Some lucky-duck in-waiting!
Lady: Brr! Not much fun coming in at the start of the 4-week Winter. They say there may be blizzards this year.
Duke: The weather’s crazy these days. Let’s hope they’re hardy people!

Notes
*Gameplay - Dream team Lady & Duke were created purely to set up the various start-up requirements. They will be ousted and not part of future gameplay. They might appear for story-telling purposes but only in a parallel Simverse.
*Behind the scenes prep - I'm working to apply the various clothing restrictions to some of the HoB townies but it is likely that other world townies will appear and there's no way I can change them all  :)

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
Re: Flowers of the Apocalypse: Groundwork
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 11:35:48 AM »

Wow, starting in the middle of winter! We're not pulling any punches here, folks! Are you not allowed to buy produce from the food stall this early in the game? Or does the vendor just not sell it?

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 12:52:37 PM »
On the one hand, this updated AC version includes all of the packs.
When I played Pinstar's AC, it was up to date with the packs I owned, LOL.
On the other hand, sooooo much more tracking involved for the various new requirements.
Did Florrie create a spreadsheet for tracking unlocks, or will you be doing all your tracking manually?

Best of luck, Watcher!

Online Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2022, 04:51:58 PM »

Wow, starting in the middle of winter! We're not pulling any punches here, folks! Are you not allowed to buy produce from the food stall this early in the game? Or does the vendor just not sell it?
I know - Winter! It's going to be tough.
No garden produce/harvesting/buying/etc until Gardener-Botanist complete. It's why all my WCs got Forever Full but their families are going to struggle.

Online Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2022, 04:54:53 PM »
On the one hand, this updated AC version includes all of the packs.
When I played Pinstar's AC, it was up to date with the packs I owned, LOL.
On the other hand, sooooo much more tracking involved for the various new requirements.
Did Florrie create a spreadsheet for tracking unlocks, or will you be doing all your tracking manually?

Best of luck, Watcher!
No spreadsheet but I've got all the restrictions in a document so I can search it when I'm not sure. I'm also re-reading it constantly to fix it all in mind. I'm not confident but I am excited about it :)

Online Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Flowers of the Apocalypse: Our Founder
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2022, 04:43:10 AM »
Our Founder

Meet Flint Acoma - the designated founder for the Apocalypse Project.

His early life can be viewed here

Flint's eyes have been adjusted to light green. His entry wardrobe is utilitarian/military and favours blue.

Updates will be given in Sim-week briefings unless nothing momentous has occurred.

He carries with him all our hopes that he and his family will redeem our Simverse.

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
Re: Flowers of the Apocalypse: Our Founder
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2022, 02:11:16 PM »

"Oh, no votes for Flint, hm?" Sneaky watcher! :D

Online Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Re: Flowers of the Apocalypse: Our Founder
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2022, 02:50:57 PM »

"Oh, no votes for Flint, hm?" Sneaky watcher! :D
;D