Author Topic: Back to School  (Read 9154 times)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Back to School
« on: August 15, 2022, 05:01:08 AM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Goal

Many schools are gearing up for that Most Wonderful Time of year! No not Winterfest, but, back to school! Now with school back in session and kids going back to regular classes, it's time for your sims to do the same. Can they juggle school, scouts, and part-time jobs? Now is the time to find out. 

General Challenge Rules
The General Challenge Rules always apply.

Specific Challenge Rules
  • Create 2 YA Human, any relationship.
  • Each young adult can adopt 1 toddler and 2 children.
  • No changing life state of any sim.
  • Adoptions can occur at any time, but these are the only household additions.
  • Toddlers can age up when TWO 5-level toddler skills are maxed.
  • Children can age up when they have a B in school and two scout badges.
  • Teens must have an "A" in high school and level 3 in any part time job to age up and move out.
  • Child and teen Sims must attend school, must complete homework when it is available, and must complete at least one school project as a child and one as a teen.
  • You are allowed to use the Buydebug cheat for the sole purpose of purchasing a satellite to prevent abductions.
  • This challenge ends on Week 4, Day 1, 8 a.m.

Back to School Spreadsheet

Toddler -   Maxed toddler skills = 30 points each.

Child - Child -   Maxed childhood skills = 20 points each.  A "B" in school as a child = 15pts. If an "A" add 5pts. = 20pts
              Scout Badges = 5pts each

Teen -   Maxed part time job = 15 points.  An "A" in school as a teen = 15 pts

SM -   Skill Multiplier. Everyone starts with a multiplier of 1. Each skill level for non-maxed skills (toddler, child, and teen) adds .02 to the multiplier. (Note this before they age up.)

Total — Add the Toddler, Child, and Teen amounts and then figure in the multiplier for your Total.

*Skills that can be worked on as a teen or older count as teen skills, even if a child could also pursue them. Example - Logic is a teen skill, even though a child can gain points in logic. NO POINTS for skill levels or skills maxed after aging to Young adults.

Here's an example:

It's week 4, Day 1, 8 a.m., so it's time to stop playing. Having plugged all your numbers into the spreadsheet, just post your final Total.

Ch-Ch-Changes
The team does not want to edit and make changes to the ruleset once this event goes live, but we may have to. If an exploit is brought to our attention or we discover something else we reserve the right to ask affected players to redo their effort.

Have Questions?
If you have questions and need clarifications, ask away — you can either post your questions in this thread or if you feel a question might reveal a particular strategy you are considering, then feel free to PM the team. Choose the My Messages tab > Send Message > Send to Group (show membergroups) > Check the Challenge Board Moderator group.

And the Winner is...
After this event has closed everyone is encouraged to discuss how they approached the event, but the winner especially is expected to do so in detail.

This Event is Now Closed

Player                       Toddler     Child     Teen     SM         Total     
sone300870     202732.5452,714
Quirlette300870     57012.98 22,585
techiechick300870     33012.98 19,470
SueDenim300870     49511.16 18,581
Eighty8Keys300870     1807.84 10584
coolsim9999999240180     2406.04 3624
Nandarelle300665     303.42 3402
Metropolis Man150620     1202.20 1958

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
Re: Back to School
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 06:45:03 AM »
- Do we get any points for maxed Teen skills?
- Can a teen max several part time jobs?

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2022, 06:52:00 AM »
- Do we get any points for maxed Teen skills?
- Can a teen max several part time jobs?

No points for maxed Teen skills. Yes, you would get credit for multiple maxed Teen part-time jobs.

Offline Nandarelle

• Townie
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 04:35:39 PM »
Do we get points for scout badges earned as a teen, or only as a child?

And:
Each young adult can adopt 1 toddler and 2 children.
Does this refer to the two starting Sims, or can their children also adopt when they're grown?

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2022, 07:50:23 PM »
Do we get points for scout badges earned as a teen, or only as a child?

And:
Each young adult can adopt 1 toddler and 2 children.
Does this refer to the two starting Sims, or can their children also adopt when they're grown?

Only the starting sims can adopt.

Children can only earn badges. it's all in the spreadsheet.

Shannon

Offline jesslc

• Townie
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2022, 01:32:57 AM »
I don't have parenthood or seasons so I'll be enjoying a month off. Best of luck to everyone participating!

Offline Quirlette

• Nooboo
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2022, 12:12:54 AM »
I just want clarification real quick on something, since this is my first tournament challenge. :)
Teens get no multiplier if they max a skill, it only counts if they're just 1 level shy
Teens also get no points for maxing a skill

Is that correct? I know you said it's in the spreadsheet above, but when I click on it the only skills contributing to the multiplier in the cell values are the ones for Toddlers.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2022, 10:35:02 AM »
I have gone through the spreadsheet it is working properly. First off, PLEASE make sure you are clicking on "FILE">Make a copy>name>. This allows you to create a copy of the original spreadsheet. Thank you.

Shannon

Offline Quirlette

• Nooboo
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2022, 01:21:40 PM »
I've attached a photo of what I see when I click on the cell for the multiplier. If you look in the function text box you'll see the cell's data says "=1+(R3*0.02)", which would make it so that only values present in R3 would contribute to the multiplier. R3's cell value is that for the Non-maxed Toddler skill levels. This is on the original file that I was able to go to from the link in the forum post, not from a copy I made.  :)

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2022, 02:31:25 PM »
I've attached a photo of what I see when I click on the cell for the multiplier. If you look in the function text box you'll see the cell's data says "=1+(R3*0.02)", which would make it so that only values present in R3 would contribute to the multiplier. R3's cell value is that for the Non-maxed Toddler skill levels. This is on the original file that I was able to go to from the link in the forum post, not from a copy I made.  :)

We're checking into it (not me given my lack of spreadsheet expertise :) ).

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2022, 08:41:43 PM »
`

@Quirlette Toddler skills are totaled on line 3, Child skills on line 4, and Teen skills on line 5. What's different about teens is that maxing skills gains no points, while non-maxed skills count toward the multiplier. The multiplier in column AA is calculated as: =1+(R3+R4+R5*0.02).

Does that clear it up?

Offline Quirlette

• Nooboo
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2022, 12:05:23 AM »
Thank you for answering my question on non-maxed vs maxed teen skills, and then attempting to make the spreedsheet right. However, the sheet is still not quite correct.

You guys will notice that, after punching in the values that you did for unmaxed Teens and Children, you got a multiplier of 6.08. With 9 levels of unmaxed skills, you should only have 1.18 as a multiplier. The value in the AA cell for the multiplier should be reading =1+(R3+R4+R5)*0.02 or =1+(R3:R5)*0.02. Since Google uses PEMDAS, that will give you the same result as =1+((R3+R4+R5)0.02) or =1+((R3:R5)*0.02). However, doing what is there right now with =1+(R3:R5*0.02) or =1+(R3+R4+R5*0.02) means the spreadsheet is multiplying R5*0.02 and then adding on 1+R3+R4, which will give a comically high multiplier.

Offline sone

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Occult
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2022, 07:08:54 AM »
Wait- maxing a non-childhood skill is worth nothing while keeping it at lv 9 is worth points? Am I reading that correctly?

Welp, regretting that I already maxed some but alas, nothing I can do about it now. Really curious as to why maxing a skill makes it worthless though; the original spreadsheet puts each maxed teen skill as +1 point.

I tried the new spreadsheet, and after inputting grades with values of 1 as shown in the example it isn't being scored correctly. it seems to only be counting half of the input, rows g3-g6 and f3-f6. Same thing with scout badges.

I'm really confused with this spreadsheet; when I opened the first one and made a copy it lists 10 adoptees and now the updated on lists 8 even though we can only adopt 6; and each one is giving me different scores for my in-progress file. I'm just going to use them to keep track of my info and then do the math separately once i'm done, post it and ask if I did my math right.

Also, are we supposed to age up and move out our teens? Or is that just optional?

Offline sdhoey

• Global Moderator
  • Watcher
    • sdhoeys Sims & More
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2022, 08:08:39 AM »
Thank you for answering my question on non-maxed vs maxed teen skills, and then attempting to make the spreedsheet right. However, the sheet is still not quite correct.

You guys will notice that, after punching in the values that you did for unmaxed Teens and Children, you got a multiplier of 6.08. With 9 levels of unmaxed skills, you should only have 1.18 as a multiplier. The value in the AA cell for the multiplier should be reading =1+(R3+R4+R5)*0.02 or =1+(R3:R5)*0.02. Since Google uses PEMDAS, that will give you the same result as =1+((R3+R4+R5)0.02) or =1+((R3:R5)*0.02). However, doing what is there right now with =1+(R3:R5*0.02) or =1+(R3+R4+R5*0.02) means the spreadsheet is multiplying R5*0.02 and then adding on 1+R3+R4, which will give a comically high multiplier.

Thank you @Quirlette.. I found the problem and corrected it. Sometimes it takes more than our eyes to help spot the problems in the sheets. Thank you again for helping to helping to find it.

Shannon.

Offline Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2022, 09:04:14 AM »
@Quirlette -- I wanted to jump in and thank you as well.