Author Topic: The Snozzberries (Not So Berry Legacy) - Complete (Dec 2022)  (Read 49788 times)

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
  • aka Pippin, the Most Tenacious Simmer
Re: The Snozzberries (Not So Berry Legacy) 10.6: The Isle of Spirits
« Reply #225 on: December 04, 2022, 09:59:27 AM »
Layla and her big, expressive eyes is so lovely!!!
What a journey Dorothy Dorothea Dot Dorothea has been on!!  I like her as a redhead, of course, but it's nice to see the blue tips from her childhood coming back  :=)

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
« Reply #226 on: December 05, 2022, 01:09:17 AM »

Yes, my girl is BACK! Or at least, she's getting there. I'm glad that she was able to move to brighter shores both physically and metaphorically. What is the blue light that keeps surrounding her? How interesting to see the extended family tree. I don't know how you managed to figure out that Tobias is a first cousin five times removed - all that removal nonsense gets so confusing!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #227 on: December 05, 2022, 03:40:24 AM »
Yay, Dorothea's back!
Thank you for sharing the shot of her family tree. 
Superfecundation (simultaneous multiple births with different fathers) is super rare in the sims, though a few simmers have reported instances.
Would it be too much to ask that you and I would be included in that exclusive club? Lol
Luckily for D, Ryo is happy enough with Layla who has her mother's eyes. :D

I'm glad the family made it out of that desolate house in Newcrest!
When Dorothea had twins, I was really hoping it was superfecundation (thanks for putting the name to it) but sadly no! They both have Tobias as a father. I do think it's funny that the father automatically knows and, if he's nice, sends a gift on their birthdays. Have illegitimate children wasn't a requirement but I like that there are on-going implications of the affair.

The Newcrest multi-development was soul-less, wasn't it. A nice house on it's own and fairly cheap, if I could find it in the gallery again, lol!

Layla and her big, expressive eyes is so lovely!!!
What a journey Dorothy Dorothea Dot Dorothea has been on!!  I like her as a redhead, of course, but it's nice to see the blue tips from her childhood coming back  :=)
I, too, like Dorothea as a red-head but I think you'll be happy with someone in the next gen :)

Yes, my girl is BACK! Or at least, she's getting there. I'm glad that she was able to move to brighter shores both physically and metaphorically. What is the blue light that keeps surrounding her? How interesting to see the extended family tree. I don't know how you managed to figure out that Tobias is a first cousin five times removed - all that removal nonsense gets so confusing!

I go back to Sulani at the drop of a hat, especially in Winter. I love the builds designed for there. The blue lights are the Island Spirits which is a lot challenge. They're not on the Admiral's Wreck by default but I added them along with Volcanic Activity (for balance) to create the narrative. Children and Toddlers can't interact with them but other Sims have the option to Commune with Spirits, Banish Spirits or Release Spirits. They seem to appear once, maybe twice a day. Once a Sim has interacted with one of them, they all disappear. I've had the Dorothea, Ryo and Yua all commune with them. They get a 24hr buff which shows up as a blue swirl around them at certain times. I haven't explored it fully but it's generally a +ve experience.

A quick tutorial on genetic relationships from this genealogy-obsessed Watcher:
Firstly, you identify the individuals Most Recent Common Ancestor. If they are in the same generation, they'll be a straight-forward cousin: first cousins share grandparents; 2nd cousins share great-grandparents; etc
The words ‘once removed’ when describing family members means that the first, second, etc cousins are in a different generation to each other. So, for example, a second cousin once-removed is the child of a second cousin. A third cousin twice-removed is the grandchild of a third cousin.
Usually, to work it out, it's best to look at a top-down family tree with all generations on the right level with each other which Sims doesn't provide for distant relationships. This being the case, my estimation of Tobias' relationship to Dorothea may be off slightly... Their MRCA are Zara and Robi, Tobias being their grandchild definitely makes it a first cousin relationship. I think Dorothea is displaced by 5 generations (due to early aging in each gen). I hope that helps - ignore it, if it doesn't :)

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
The Snozzberries (Not So Berry Legacy) 10.7: Gift of the Spirits
« Reply #228 on: December 05, 2022, 04:56:12 AM »
The Snozzberries (Not So Berry Legacy) 10.7: Gift of the Spirits

Yua: Oh Trista, you are lively this evening. I’m on childcare duties this evening while your sister goes jogging and your brother-in-law practises his piano. Are you ever going to get sleepy, Giggle Girl? I’m glad Dorothea’s adopted you as a dependant. Life’s so precarious. I want to know you’d be looked after if anything happened to me.

10.7.1.jpg

Koinonia: Swim
Rapha: Heal
Dorothea: What am I doing, swimming around in the dark? This is crazy! I’m getting out.

10.7.2.jpg

Jireh: Here
Rapha: Heal
Dorothea: Oh! Who left this here? What a mess! I can clean this up.
Koinonia: Yes

10.7.3.jpg

Jireh: Come
Dorothea: Wow! What a waterfall!

10.7.4.jpg

Koinonia: Here
Jireh: Fresh
Rapha: New
Dorothea: I’m coming. Oh this is wonderful.

Publication1.jpg

Ryo: What’s this? What’s going on?
Rapha: Be
Koinonia: Together
Jireh: Grow

10.7.7.jpg

Ryo: Angel? This blue light led me out here.
Dorothea: It’s the Island Spirits. They want us here.
Koinonia: Together

Publication2.jpg

Watcher: And in a more prosaic setting, an everyday miracle is revealed.

10.7.10.jpg

Yua: Well, it’s been a long evening and the toddlers are all now wide awake! Ryo and Dorothea are back from their stroll so they can take over!

10.7.10a.jpg

Yua: Oh George! I’m so sorry you died.
George: So am I! I’m quite angry in fact. What are we doing in Sulani?
Yua: When we unpacked our furnishings, we found your grave stone amongst them so we set it down in the garden.
George: There’s something here that makes it easy to come back. You can even buy a wedding cake from me if you like

10.7.10ab.jpg

Yua: Can you stay with me?
George: Only during the night…

10.7.10b.jpg

Dorothea: Happy Birthday, Aarush. Ryo has reminded me that I’d wanted to let our children make their own choices so you can wear what you want. Look, Layla’s waiting to play with you.
Aarush: Babble

10.7.10c.jpg

Ozul: Bruvver
Aarush: Babble
Ozul: Say “Bruvver”

10.7.10d.jpg

Trista: My blocks
Ozul: My blocks
Dorothea: There are two sets of blocks. Play nicely with them. Now, Layla, what’s this?
Layla: Ottopus?
Dorothea: Nearly, it’s a starfish. Are you alright over there, Aarush? I know you like being independent but just say if you want some help.

10.7.10e.jpg

Dorothea: Welcome to the world, little Dylan. You’re a gift from the spirits. I just hope they help me look after you all.

10.7.10f.jpg

Dorothea: Yes, I know it’s been a long time. It was always Dad that loved a party but we want to throw one for the twins birthday. Can you come? It’s a Dinner Party.

10.7.11.jpg

Yua: Happy Birthday, Layla, in your girlie-pink party dress!
Roald: Whoop Whoop!
Yua: Oh – nice hair fin!
Layla: Thanks, Granny.
Ryo: Happy Birthday, Ozul, in your boyish-blue braces.
Michiko: Toot, Toot!
Ozul: Oh yeah! Check out my pink cardie!

10.7.12.jpg10.7.13.jpg

Dorothea: Happy Birthday, Dylan. An interesting set of clothes, but I really must learn to empower my children’s choices….maybe a couple of tweaks?

10.7.14.jpg

Layla (green dress): Mm – dinner was great, Granny!
Yua: Thanks, Layla. Well done for making Aarush laugh but he needs to sleep now.
Layla: Trista enjoyed her story.

10.7.15.jpg

Yua: An incognito party for your birthday, Trista. I’m not sure what this toddler outfit is but let’s see what you grow into!

10.7.16.jpg

Trista: So I’m related to all of you?
Tim: Yep, in one way or another.

10.7.18.jpg

Trista: And the guy who decided to soak in our bathtub?
Yua: That’s Tobias. He’s family too. Dorothea forgot to invite him to the twins birthday, but I remembered for yours.

10.7.17.jpg

Yua: And so the large, multi-generational family lived together messily and happily ever after. The end.
Layla: Is it the end, Granny?
Yua: Not yet. We need to see how you and your brothers turn out!

10.7.19.jpg

Completed:
Generation 1 – Mint – Elphie - dec
Generation 2 – Rose – Tina - dec
Generation 3 – Yellow – Zara - dec
Generation 4 – Grey – Michaela – dec
Generation 5 – Plum – Rowland – dec – completed week 25
Generation 6 – Orange – Oona Luna – dec – completed week 31
Generation 7 – Pink – Wilhelmina (Willie) – dec – completed week 34
Generation 8 – Peach – Augustus (Gus) – Elder – completed week 40
Generation 9 – Green – George – dec completed week 42

In Progress – week 46, Year 3, Winter

Generation 10 – Blue – Dorothea – young adult
Perfectionist, Gloomy, Family-Oriented
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spouse – Ryo Kendo – Outgoing, Loyal, Geek with Musical Genius aspiration
Children:
Ozul – Child: Child of the Islands
Layla – Child: Geek
Aarush – Toddler: Independent
Dylan – Toddler: Silly

L-to-R: Ozul, Dorothea holding Aarush, Yua, Ryo holding Dylan, Trista, Layla
Screenshot 2022-12-04 194101.jpg

Notes
Dylan means “born from the ocean” from the Welsh
Trista, who is actually gen 10 - being Dorothea's sister, has the most glorious hair so I have high hopes for her teen-dom.

I think I'm coming in to land with this challenge/story but the Snozzberries have thrown me curve balls (to mix my metaphors) before so I'm not holding my breath!

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
Re: The Snozzberries (Not So Berry Legacy) 10.7: Gift of the Spirits
« Reply #229 on: December 05, 2022, 07:13:49 AM »
Yes, Trista is lovely!
And yes, I believe you've nearly brought this ship into port, so to speak!  Some excellent work so far on this nearly-completed challenge, Watcher!

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #230 on: December 05, 2022, 09:37:02 AM »
Dorothea, Ryo and Yua have their hands full with 5 kids at once. What a lovely, multi-generational family.
I'm really enjoying your island spirits elements - I haven't played much with island spirits, so you are peaking my curiosity about that gameplay.
Nice to see George again - maybe next time he'll be a little less . . . red. Two words that can be a little concerning when they are together - "angry" & "ghost".   ;)
I'm happy to see this little family healing and bringing in new life before the story completes its tenth generation.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #231 on: December 05, 2022, 10:38:10 AM »
In the shot with the toddlers and gnomes, I thought, "Wait? Four toddlers? Didn't Dorothea have twins?"
Then, I remembered Trista was born in your last update whereas Aarush is Yua's child.  Haha, I'm straight now.
Then, Dorothea and Ryo decide to have Dylan, too?
Was that to keep Dorothea as a young adult to keep the challenge going longer?

Great to see Dorothea has created a healing situation for herself in which she can become the good mother and wife she's wanted to be.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
« Reply #232 on: December 05, 2022, 07:06:16 PM »

Purchase wedding cake?!  :o Well, that sure is a new one for me! And thank you for the explanation about the family tree - makes a lot more sense now!

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #233 on: December 06, 2022, 05:27:51 AM »
In the shot with the toddlers and gnomes, I thought, "Wait? Four toddlers? Didn't Dorothea have twins?"
Then, I remembered Trista was born in your last update whereas Aarush is Yua's child.  Haha, I'm straight now.
Then, Dorothea and Ryo decide to have Dylan, too?
Was that to keep Dorothea as a young adult to keep the challenge going longer?

Great to see Dorothea has created a healing situation for herself in which she can become the good mother and wife she's wanted to be.
Trista is Yua's daughter with George. She was conceived after Dorothea moved out - an NSS baby, if you will. She was born just after they moved to this final lot. Aarush was Dorothea wanting a child with Ryo as soon as possible after it became obvious that the twins father was Tobias.
With Dorothea's Family-Oriented trait it just felt right that part of the Spirit's healing for her and Ryo would include a romantic conception in the waterfall. I then realised that the house was full and a requirement left unticked. I decided Dorothea adopting Trista as a care-dependent would fit the bill and the story.

Dorothea, Ryo and Yua have their hands full with 5 kids at once. What a lovely, multi-generational family.
I'm really enjoying your island spirits elements - I haven't played much with island spirits, so you are peaking my curiosity about that gameplay.
Nice to see George again - maybe next time he'll be a little less . . . red. Two words that can be a little concerning when they are together - "angry" & "ghost".   ;)
I'm happy to see this little family healing and bringing in new life before the story completes its tenth generation.
I love the spirits - you can ignore them but communing with them is advantageous.
Red Ghosts = trouble! I must confess that Yua luring him into bed to improve his mood was a ploy to avoid all the repairs.   ;)

Yes, Trista is lovely!
And yes, I believe you've nearly brought this ship into port, so to speak!  Some excellent work so far on this nearly-completed challenge, Watcher!
Lol - thanks for adding another metaphor! If I wasn't racing for the finish line, I'd try to add some more!

Purchase wedding cake?!  :o Well, that sure is a new one for me! And thank you for the explanation about the family tree - makes a lot more sense now!
I think you get "purchase wedding cake" when interacting with anyone with a decent cooking level. I don't think George had baking skills...it was his father Gus had that. It was a surprise when I saw Yua could buy one from George!

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
The Snozzberries (Not So Berry Legacy) 10.8: Volcanic Finale
« Reply #234 on: December 06, 2022, 06:35:51 AM »
The Snozzberries (Not So Berry Legacy) 10.8: Volcanic Finale

Yua: I enjoyed the children’s birthday party. It’s all go here with 3 teens and 2 toddlers. Trista is my favourite, of course.
Watcher: Sorry readers – I got carried away with their skilling and birthdays without taking any
photos. Suffice it to say, they were all doing well in school and completed at least one aspiration before I aged them up.

Trista C.jpgTrista.jpg

Dorothea: Happy Birthday, Aarush.
Aarush: Thanks Mum.
Dorothea: What do you fancy doing today? Anything you like.
Aarush: Anything?
Dorothea: I’m really ambitious for all my children to do well but, well, I don’t feel I need to pressure you as much as the older ones.

10.8.5.jpg

Yua: Wha-at was that?
Dorothea: The volcano! It’s exploding! Where are all the kids?
Ryo: They’re all inside, Angel. We’re all safe.
Yua: In a flammable house!
Ozul: Cool!
Layla: Hot actually, hey don’t touch it yet!
Trista: It’s cold enough now – Hey, I’ve got some Alcron from inside it.

10.8.1.jpg

Dorothea: Oh Dylan – my very last toddler! It’s fun to have time to ourselves while all the others are at school.
Dylan: Mama Blue
Dorothea: Happy blue, Dylan, and now I have enough time to straighten it again. A bit of self-care is good for all the family.

10.8.2.jpg

Yua: Happy Christmas, everyone!
Trista: A great Christmas Breakfast, Mum!
Ozul: Yeah – Watcher’s going to make us run for miles to work that off.
Yua: Dishes first!
Layla: I’ll wash!
Aarush: I haven’t had mine yet!

10.8.3.jpg

Dorothea: Are you happy, Ryo?
Ryo: How could I not be happy, my Dark Angel? I love seeing you flourish.
Dorothea: This island has been good for me.
Ryo: For all of us!
Aarush: Mum! Layla says – does she really need to brush her teeth again?
Dorothea: Oh yes! Always good to brush your teeth! Well done, Layla! Now – how about winding down to classical music?
Layla: MUM!

10.8.6.jpg

Dorothea: Happy Birthday, Layla! Quick, blow out the candles!
Layla: What’s the rush?
Dorothea: Don’t you dare ask anyone any advice! Just blow!

10.8.7.jpg

Watcher: And with that, Dorothea achieves her remaining requirement and finishes the challenge for me. Or should I say – Layla completed the challenge…with Dorothea's encouragement.

10.8.10.jpg

Layla: So are you some sort of Super Parent now, Mum?
Dorothea: Yep – I’m perfectly imperfect. The pressure’s off. We can just chill!
Layla: So this really is the end?
Ryo: Hey! No phones at the dinner table, young lady!
Layla: Yes, Dad.

10.8.9.jpg

Completed:
Generation 1 – Mint – Elphie - dec
Generation 2 – Rose – Tina - dec
Generation 3 – Yellow – Zara - dec
Generation 4 – Grey – Michaela – dec
Generation 5 – Plum – Rowland – dec – completed week 25
Generation 6 – Orange – Oona Luna – dec – completed week 31
Generation 7 – Pink – Wilhelmina (Willie) – dec – completed week 34
Generation 8 – Peach – Augustus (Gus) – Elder – completed week 40
Generation 9 – Green – George – dec - completed week 42
Generation 10 – Blue – Dorothea – young adult – completed week 47
Perfectionist, Gloomy, Family-Oriented
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spouse – Ryo Kendo – Outgoing, Loyal, Geek with Musical Genius aspiration
Children:
Ozul – YA: Child of the Islands, Adventurous, Active
Layla – YA: Geek, Insider, Dog Lover
Aarush – Child: Music Lover
Dylan – Child: Outgoing

L-to-R: Dylan, Trista, Dorothea, Yua, Ryo, Layla, Ozul, Aarush
10.8.11.jpg

Notes

Time for a quick genetic display of Dorothea’s kids:

L-to-R: Dorothea & Tobias, Layla, Ozul, Aarush, Dylan, Dorothea & Ryo
gen 10-11.jpg

Changing the Sims hair and eye colour does seem to affect their off-spring. Layla has blue eyes which Dorothea had when she was conceived. I think she’d gone back to her natural red hair and dark eyes when Aarush was conceived and then back to blue/black hair and blue eyes when Dylan was conceived. I haven’t experimented in depth and clearly the father’s attributes have a bearing.

I’m with Yua on favourites – I think Trista is gorgeous and might just be my starting point for a new challenge. Before that, however, I will be returning to my Flowers of the Apocalypse over on the Creative forum once I’ve re-familiarised with all the restrictions. I’m only about a 3rd of the way through the careers so there’s a long journey ahead.

I have enjoyed playing the Not So Berry challenge so, thank you, @oshizu for recommending it. It took me a while to get into fully exploring the requirements and restrictions in order to weave a coherent narrative. At first I found them quite annoying. I definitely enjoyed some generations more than others, particularly Oona Luna (Orange), Gus (Peach), and of course Dorothea (Blue).

Thank you for reading and all the support along the way  :)

Offline PeregrineTook

• Watcher
Re: The Snozzberries (Not So Berry Legacy) 10.8: Volcanic Finale
« Reply #235 on: December 06, 2022, 06:47:41 AM »
I absolutely agree that Trista is gorgeous and she'd make a great founder for your next challenge!
Congrats on bringing this legacy to it's finale!!  What a fun ride!  So lovely to watch the family grow and flourish over all these generations  :=)

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #236 on: December 06, 2022, 11:10:46 AM »
Congratulations on wrapping up your Not So Berry Challenge!
I do remember you not enjoying it at first.  The challenge's creator wanted to create a challenge that would encourage to change up our gameplay.  And it's very successful in that regard.
As your updates grew longer, I knew you were starting to enjoy the storytelling.
It was a wonderful story!  Might I add how much fun it's been to play this challenge side-by-side with you (in a manner of speaking) for weeks and weeks!
Good game, Watcher! Well played!
*throws rose petals and confetti

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #237 on: December 06, 2022, 09:53:00 PM »
Congrats for completing your NSB! What a great story it has been!

Thank you for the display of Dorothea's kids - what a smart way to show their similarities/differences.
Trista is really lovely - how fun it will be to see her starting her own challenge someday.

And now I look forward to your return to your Apocalypse challenge.  :)

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
The Snozzberries (Not So Berry Legacy) - Epilogue
« Reply #238 on: December 10, 2022, 03:08:00 AM »
The Not So Berry requirements for Gen 10 say that Dorothea must stay with her high school sweetheart until she dies. Having lived through plenty of drama, a dramatic, early death seems too cruel.

And so, dear readers, we can imagine that Dorothea quietly lives out the rest of her days with her beloved Ryo surrounded by a perfect  mess of children and grandchildren. One day the Island Spirits would lead them across the waters to an eternal bliss of which we can only dream.

THE END :)

Offline Rhoxi

• of the Dojos
  • Watcher
Re: The Snozzberries (Not So Berry Legacy) - Complete (Dec 2022)
« Reply #239 on: December 17, 2022, 11:52:42 AM »

I'm a bit late to the punch, but congratulations on finishing up your latest challenge! It was a delight to read from start to finish, so thank you for sharing it with us.