Author Topic: Prison Challenge? Warden You Like to Know!  (Read 10351 times)

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
Prison Challenge? Warden You Like to Know!
« on: February 15, 2022, 06:14:18 AM »
Prison Challenge? Warden You Like to Know!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Goal
Have you ever wanted to live the life of a prison warden? Probably not, but here's your chance anyway!
Your Warden will arrest and imprison townies then help rehabilitate them into productive members of society.

General Challenge Rules

• The General Challenge Rules always apply. If applicable, exceptions will be listed below. Be sure to read these as changes have been made for 2022.

Specific Challenge Rules
  • Create a young adult Sim in CAS. Do not use Story mode.
  • Buy a vacant (or bulldozed lot) lot that is at least 30x20.
  • Build a starter prison (that you'll gradually expand) which must contain:
       *Warden's front office with desk and chair at prison entrance.
       *Warden's quarters (bed, bathroom, kitchen/living area)
       *One prison cell (at least 3x2 tiles) with bed and toilet
       *Communal shower room with 1 shower per 2 prisoners
       *Outdoor yard with a trash can (may add seating, plants, fitness objects)
       *Kitchen/cafeteria/rec room for prisoners
       *Workshop (with skilling objects)
  • To download a 30x20 starter prison that meets all the requirements, search the Gallery for the Item Name "Warden Challenge 20x30" (Residential lot)
  • When you are done building, use the money cheat to set your Sim's funds to $1,000.
  • To admit a prisoner to your prison, your Warden travels alone to any community lot and "arrests" a Sim (by asking them to join the "household").
  • You may only arrest a Sim that you first met at a community lot.
  • Teens may not be arrested. No early age-up of Sims allowed.
  • The Warden is only allowed to arrest Sims who live alone. You can check on a Sim's household size at the move-in menu; do not use Manage Households to check household size.
  • When arresting/moving in a Sim, the Warden must choose the "Keep Furniture" option. That furniture must remain in the prison's inventory until the challenge ends.
  • If the arrested Sim is employed, have them quit their job but take note if they're in the Criminal career.
  • The first seven Sims arrested must each max two unique 10-level skills, after which they are considered rehabilitated and ready for release.
  • To release eighth and subsequent prisoners, each prisoner must max two 10-level skills that differ from those of the previously released Sim. (Prisoner B's skill must differ from Prisoner A's, etc.)
  • When releasing a prisoner, you may create a new homeless household with zero funds or move them into another household.
  • To add an additional prisoner, you must first (a) provide them with a furnished prison cell and (if needed) a shower and (b) have at least $2,000 in cash each time.
  • Clubs are not allowed. If an arrested Sim is a club leader/member, they must quit the club.
  • The Warden may only add to prison funds by arresting Sims; prisoners may only add to prison funds through their rehabilitation activities (that is, selling what they craft).
  • Because all income generated by prisoners belongs to the prison, the Wealth aspirations are banned for prisoners; only the Warden may choose them.
  • Prison schedule:
       *Lockup: Prisoners locked in their cells from 11pm to 6am.  (No books or skilling objects allowed.)
       *Meals: Taken collectively. You decide which prisoner cooks.
       *Outdoor yard: All prisoners must take a collective 2-hour period in the yard daily. The time may differ from day to day.
  • During Lockup, you (the Watcher) are not allowed to control the prisoners for any reason, except a fire.
  • If the Warden misses locking the prisoners in their cells during the 10:45-11:15 pm period, there is a penalty: as soon as the Warden remembers to implement Lockup, all prisoners must remain locked in their cells for 7 consecutive hours from that time PLUS 24 additional hours. If the prisoners are locked up at 1 am on Thursday, for example, they must remain locked up for the next 31 (7+24) hours until Saturday 8 am (no skilling during this Lockup).
  • During an extended (31-hour) Lockup, the Warden will need to leave meals for the prisoners in their cells.
  • Nobody may enter the prison except the Warden and their prisoners. The Warden must stay inside the prison during Lockup hours.
  • If your Warden dies, then your challenge ends so post your score up to that point. If a prisoner dies, you lose one point but may continue the challenge.
  • The challenge ends on Week 4, Day 1, 8 a.m.

Scoring

At the end of the challenge, give yourself:

Prisoners (1): 1 point for prisoners arrested but still in prison;
Prisoners (2): 2 points for prisoners rehabilitated and moved out;
Prisoners (3): 3 points for prisoners rehabilitated and moved out with the Evil trait and/or in the Criminal career (at the time of arrest).
Deaths: minus 1 point for any prisoner who dies in prison before being released.

Here is a helpful spreadsheet to keep you organized in this event.

Total: Add up your points in the three Prisoner categories and subtract deaths for your final score.

Have Questions?
If you have questions and need clarifications, ask away — you can either post your questions in this thread or if you feel a question might reveal a particular strategy you are considering, then feel free to PM the team. Choose the My Messages tab > Send Message > Send to Group (show membergroups) > Check the Challenge Board Moderator group.

And the Winner is...
After this event has closed everyone is encouraged to discuss how they approached the event. The winner is expected to provide detailed information on their strategy. Keep notes as you play your file.

This Event is Now Closed

Player                            Prisoners (1)          Prisoners (2)          Prisoners (3)          Deaths (-1)          Total
oshizu7346--47
jesslc42212--38
annieb718----25
SueDenim714----21
Metropolis Man412----16
Nandarelle7------7
techiechick2------2
Nelleam1------1
Nikitachi--------DNF
LenaLJ--------DNF

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
Re: Prison Challenge? Warden You Like to Know!
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2022, 06:14:39 AM »
2/15
- Removed this rule: Whenever the Warden leaves the prison to arrest another prisoner, the prisoners must remain locked inside their prison cells (a skilling object or books are allowed in this case).

2/16
- Update to rules on rehabilitation:
   *The first seven Sims arrested must each max two unique 10-level skills, after which they are considered rehabilitated and ready for release.
   *To release eighth and subsequent prisoners, each prisoner must max two 10-level skills that differ from those of the previously released Sim. (Prisoner B's skill must differ from Prisoner A's, etc.)

2/20
- Edit to lot size: "Buy a vacant (or bulldozed lot) lot that is at least 30x20."
- Edit to cell size: One prison cell (at least 3x2 tiles) with bed and toilet

2/21
- Edit to lockup hours: "Lockup: Prisoners locked in their cells for 7 consecutive hours, starting anytime between 10:45 pm to 11:15 pm. (No books or skilling objects allowed.)
- Added lockup-related penalty: "If the Warden misses locking the prisoners in their cells during the 10:45-11:15 pm period, there is a penalty: as soon as the Warden remembers to implement lockup, all prisoners must remain locked in their cells for 7 consecutive hours from that time PLUS 24 additional hours. If the prisoners are locked up at 1 am on Thursday, for example, they must remain locked up for the next 31 (7+24) hours until Saturday 8 am (no skilling during this lockup)."

2/22
Additional rules regarding Lockup:
- During Lockup, you (the Watcher) are not allowed to control the prisoners for any reason, except a fire.
- During an extended (31-hour) Lockup, the Warden will need to leave meals for the prisoners in their cells.

2/23
Added rule about death:
-If your Warden dies, then your challenge ends so post your score up to that point. If a prisoner dies, you lose one point but may continue the challenge.

Added a fourth Scoring category:
- Deaths: minus 1 point for any prisoner who dies in prison before being released.
  (The linked spreadsheet has been edited accordingly.)

7/24
Reworded the "outdoor yard" line:
*Outdoor yard: All prisoners must take a collective 2-hour period in the yard daily. The time may differ from day to day.

3/1
*Removed: When arresting/moving in a Sim from a multi-Sim household, the Warden may only transfer $500 of their household funds to the prison.
*Added: The Warden is only allowed to arrest Sims who live alone. You can check on a Sim's household size at the move-in menu; do not use Manage Households to check household size.
*Reworded: When arresting/moving in a Sim, the Warden must choose the "Keep Furniture" option. That furniture must remain in the prison's inventory until the challenge ends.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2022, 08:43:04 AM »
Once a prisoner has maxed two 10-level skills, they are considered rehabilitated and ready for release
- If a Sim already has some skill points in some skill, can I continue maxing these ones, or do I have to choose the two that they don't have yet?
- If a Sim is already at level 10 of some skill, can I count it as one skill done immediately?

however, their two skills must differ from those of the previously released Sim.
Should they be different only from one previous Sim (the one that was released exactly before the current one), or from all previously released ones?

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2022, 09:41:00 AM »
I'll go ahead and give my best interpretations and if oshizu disagrees, then she can clarify later. This is her challenge idea (and a great one) :).

Once a prisoner has maxed two 10-level skills, they are considered rehabilitated and ready for release
- If a Sim already has some skill points in some skill, can I continue maxing these ones, or do I have to choose the two that they don't have yet?
- If a Sim is already at level 10 of some skill, can I count it as one skill done immediately?

You can take advantage of skills that already have levels and continue with those, and you can also take advantage of already maxed skills.

however, their two skills must differ from those of the previously released Sim.
Should they be different only from one previous Sim (the one that was released exactly before the current one), or from all previously released ones?

Just the one previous Sim...so, if you release A-B-C-D Sims...B's skills would need to differ from A's. C's would need to differ from B's, etc.

Let me offer up a possible different rule that may make this restriction easier...oshizu you can weigh in too. How about we just require that all prisoners must max two unique skills (not maxed by any other prisoner) until the point at which all prisoners have all available skills capped? At that point players can have their prisoners cap whatever skills they want. Does that variation sound better or should we stick with how it reads now?

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2022, 12:43:12 PM »
I agree with Metro: yes to both questions.

[/quote]
Before a prisoner can be released, they must max two skill that differ only from their previously-released prisoner.
A scoring spreadsheet will be posted soon to simplify the task of tracking which prisoner is working on which skills.

Edited to add: And our fearless leader, Metropolis Man, has posted the spreadsheet link.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2022, 04:29:33 AM »
I still dare to offer making it the more challenging way: each prisoner must max two unique skills until all 10-level skills have been maxed, then you must start the second round of choosing (and not just become able to choose any skill).

Why so?
- It's more difficult and requires more planning overall;
- Some skills are maxed way faster than the others;
- Some skills give way more profit than the others;
- Some sims come with already maxed (or close) skills, so if we can just choose any skills, it's almost an instant 'autocompletion' for these sims.

I'd also add a rule "A prisoner must be released immediately after all the requirements for him are met" and "Once a prisoner reaches level 10 in a skill, they can't continue making and selling their crafts". Otherwise, one sim can easily earn enough simoleons for the rest of the challenge, and the player won't need to think about how to earn money.

Online Metropolis Man

• Administrator
  • Watcher
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2022, 06:05:49 AM »
You make some valid points, Nikitachi. We'll take a look at that today and make some decisions soon so everyone knows how to tackle practicing.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Nikitachi

• Occult
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 08:32:17 AM »
To download a 30x20 starter prison that meets all the requirements, search the Gallery for the Item Name "Warden Challenge 20x30" (Residential lot)

The cost of the furnished lot is 17,230 simoleons, while we only have 17,000 after buying the 40x30 lot (and we have to keep at least 1,000). Could you please make it cheaper, @oshizu ? I guess it should be under 16K.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2022, 01:47:05 PM »
To download a 30x20 starter prison that meets all the requirements, search the Gallery for the Item Name "Warden Challenge 20x30" (Residential lot)

The cost of the furnished lot is 17,230 simoleons, while we only have 17,000 after buying the 40x30 lot (and we have to keep at least 1,000). Could you please make it cheaper, @oshizu ? I guess it should be under 16K.
That lot was primarily designed for a $2k lot.  If you want a cheaper lot, there's nothing stopping you from, for example, downloading the starter prison to a new save, editing it to suit your price range, then re-uploading it your MyLibary. However, it still needs to included the required rooms.

Also, you don't "keep at least $1,000"; once you're done building/editing/furnishing your prison, you use the money cheat to set your prison funds $1,000.
You could, for example, spend all but $500 on fixing up your prison, after which you would cheat your funds to $1k.

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2022, 03:00:41 PM »
Update to rules on rehabilitation:
   *The first seven Sims arrested must each max two unique 10-level skills, after which they are considered rehabilitated and ready for release.
   *To release eighth and subsequent prisoners, each prisoner must max two 10-level skills that differ from those of the previously released Sim. (Prisoner B's skill must differ from Prisoner A's, etc.)

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2022, 03:16:32 PM »

That lot was primarily designed for a $2k lot.  If you want a cheaper lot, there's nothing stopping you from, for example, downloading the starter prison to a new save, editing it to suit your price range, then re-uploading it your MyLibary. However, it still needs to included the required rooms.

Also, you don't "keep at least $1,000"; once you're done building/editing/furnishing your prison, you use the money cheat to set your prison funds $1,000.
You could, for example, spend all but $500 on fixing up your prison, after which you would cheat your funds to $1k.

@Nikitachi Also - just as a reminder - no one is obligated to use that prison lot - it's a bonus gift to help people get started if they don't want to build - and as @oshizu mentioned - you can modify it however you want. But you can also build your own if you want.

Offline jesslc

• Townie
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2022, 11:23:00 AM »

@Nikitachi Also - just as a reminder - no one is obligated to use that prison lot - it's a bonus gift to help people get started if they don't want to build - and as @oshizu mentioned - you can modify it however you want. But you can also build your own if you want.

The rules say we must buy a 40x30 lot and the cheapest ones in my game are $3000. Or are we allowed to buy a smaller lot at the start if we'd like to use the ready made prison? Because otherwise this prison won't be able to used by anyone on a 40x30 unless they make some building adjustments to bring the price down first.

I placed it from the world screen on a different lot just to have a quick look at it (and give me an idea of what I should be trying to build). The rules say the prisoners' cells have to be 3x2 but the existing cell in the ready made prison is a 3x2 room with an extra square off one side of it. So are we allowed to use that prison as it is or would that be counted as breaking the rules?

The game also gave me the warning about the lot being built with moveobjects on after I placed it on a empty lot. I didn't have the cheat on and I don't know if anything went missing because of that. (I could have checked it against placing it with the cheat on but that didn't occur to me until much later and I'm not sure when I'll get to play again). Regardless, it might be good to warn people that they should make sure to have the moveobjects cheat turned on before they place this ready made prison.

Offline techiechick

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2022, 02:59:18 PM »
I'm looking forward to creating my own "prison" lot... Building and skill challenges are always my favorites so this one will be fun!!

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2022, 05:57:51 PM »
The rules say we must buy a 40x30 lot and the cheapest ones in my game are $3000. Or are we allowed to buy a smaller lot at the start if we'd like to use the ready made prison? Because otherwise this prison won't be able to used by anyone on a 40x30 unless they make some building adjustments to bring the price down first.
Thank you for catching that about the lot size.  I'd meant to change that to 30x20 but then never did.
I've added a rule edit in the second post for a minimum lot size of 30x20.

I placed it from the world screen on a different lot just to have a quick look at it (and give me an idea of what I should be trying to build). The rules say the prisoners' cells have to be 3x2 but the existing cell in the ready made prison is a 3x2 room with an extra square off one side of it. So are we allowed to use that prison as it is or would that be counted as breaking the rules?
Yes, you are allowed to use that prison.  I'll add a rule edit to say "at least 3x2 tiles." Thank you for noticing that.

The game also gave me the warning about the lot being built with moveobjects on after I placed it on a empty lot. I didn't have the cheat on and I don't know if anything went missing because of that. (I could have checked it against placing it with the cheat on but that didn't occur to me until much later and I'm not sure when I'll get to play again). Regardless, it might be good to warn people that they should make sure to have the moveobjects cheat turned on before they place this ready made prison.
Players used to have to enable the moveobjects cheat placing a Gallery build for which a builder used that cheat to place objects.
That has changed, however, since last July. Here's a quote from Patch Notes released on July 27, 2021:
"For players, it actually means that you don’t need to manually activate the cheat prior to placing a lot from the Gallery for the objects to be exactly where the creator put them."

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2022, 05:59:08 PM »
I'm looking forward to creating my own "prison" lot... Building and skill challenges are always my favorites so this one will be fun!!

techiechick, I hope you'll post shots of your prison once this challenge is over.
I admit my uploaded starter prison was restricted by the use of only base game objects.