Author Topic: It's 2022...a New House Flipper Challenge for You!  (Read 11596 times)

Online Metropolis Man

• Tournament/Dynasty Coordinator
  • Administrator
  • Watcher
It's 2022...a New House Flipper Challenge for You!
« on: December 15, 2021, 05:53:49 AM »
It's 2022...a New House Flipper Challenge for You!

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Goal
We're kicking off the 2022 Tournament season with a house flipper event. What will be really special about this event compared to previous house flipper challenges is we're allowing you to use your building skills (if you choose to do so) to add lot value. Another unique twist is the requirement to throw a silver-rated House Party before you can move to your next lot. Get your ducks in a row...you'll be moving a lot!

General Challenge Rules

• The General Challenge Rules always apply. If applicable, exceptions will be listed below. Be sure to read these as changes have been made for 2022.

Specific Challenge Rules
  • Create one YA Sim (any species) in CAS and move the Sim into Crick Cabana. No adding to the household.
  • As soon as you move into a house, pause the game, click Build Mode (F2), click Venue Info (picture of house in upper left corner), and locate the current Lot Value to enter into the spreadsheet as your ‘Starting Lot Value’. This is also where you will find your Ending Lot Value immediately before moving to the next house.
  • Calculate the Target Lot Value Range by multiplying the starting lot value by 125% and 150% - use the spreadsheet linked below to track your starting lot value, target range, selling price (ending lot value) and profit.
  • You can make any changes you want, including moving walls, adding on rooms, redecorating, etc. Anything your Sim can afford is fine.
  • You must make or find (not purchase) at least one of each of these to leave in the house: a large painting, a unique woodwork item, a unique mounted fish, a before photo and an after photo of the house, and one of any unique collectible other than a fish.
  • Copypasto is not allowed.
  • All renovation work must be done in-game - no downloading of rooms, lots, etc. from Library or Gallery.
  • When you move, you may only take with you one handiness workstation, one easel, and one camera. Everything else must be either sold or placed in the house.
  • When your lot value is within (but not over) the target range, hold an Open House (House Party) with at least 5 sims who have not attended a previous one. You must earn at least a silver rating.
  • After the silver Open House, move on to your next lot, using the 'Sell Furniture' option on the move screen. You may evict Sims already in the house as you move; you may not move in with other Sims, you may not repeat houses, and you may not use Manage Households.
  • You may only move to properties (house/lot/apartment) that have a purchase price - not  to any house or apartment that has daily or weekly rent.
  • The challenge ends on Week 3, Day 1, 8 am. At that time, check the current lot value of the house you're in - if it is less than the top of the target range, then enter the current lot value as the selling price. If the current lot value is higher than the top of the range, then enter the top of the range as the selling price.

Scoring

At the end of the challenge, check your Total Profit in the House Flipper Spreadsheet - that is your score for the challenge.

Have Questions?
If you have questions and need clarifications, ask away — you can either post your questions in this thread or if you feel a question might reveal a particular strategy you are considering, then feel free to PM the team. Choose the My Messages tab > Send Message > Send to Group (show membergroups) > Check the Challenge Board Moderator group.

And the Winner is...
After this event has closed everyone is encouraged to discuss how they approached the event. The winner is expected to provide detailed information on their strategy. Keep notes as you play your file.

This Event is Now Closed

Player                            Total Profit
Nikitachi1,458,436
mismck1,253,580
annieb1,073,693
jesslc851,559
Emmariley192420,895
LenaLJ410,326
Whimsical Peanut357,339
GlazeyLady346,075
Metropolis Man254,478
Granny Lawlor170,835
coolsim999999969,913
Mionax57,101
Eighty8Keys14,152
techiechickDNF
Ravencloud999DNF
NandarelleDNF

Offline mismck

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Challenge Board Moderator
  • Townie
Re: It's 2022...a New House Flipper Challenge for You!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2021, 06:36:02 AM »
This looks SO fun - I'm already thinking of the possibilities to micromanage my poor Sim  ;D
Thanks team for bringing us another great start to a new Tournament Season!

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline jesslc

• Townie
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 11:59:16 AM »
This looks really interesting. Some questions to start with... (probably there will be more after I get a chance to practice)

Can we move lots/houses in whatever order we like so long as we meet the requirements to move each time? (Apart from having to start at Crick Cabana)

Can we move in with other sims? Are household additions allowed?

Can we move into empty lots or just houses?

"Unique collectible other than a fish" means things like a crystal, metal, fossil, a mysims doll, etc, yes?

Not sure how likely this is yet, but if we run out of unique woodworking items before we run out of lots, are we allowed to repeat?

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2021, 06:54:46 PM »
This looks really interesting. Some questions to start with... (probably there will be more after I get a chance to practice)

Can we move lots/houses in whatever order we like so long as we meet the requirements to move each time? (Apart from having to start at Crick Cabana)

Can we move in with other sims? Are household additions allowed?

Can we move into empty lots or just houses?

"Unique collectible other than a fish" means things like a crystal, metal, fossil, a mysims doll, etc, yes?

Not sure how likely this is yet, but if we run out of unique woodworking items before we run out of lots, are we allowed to repeat?

Yes to all except adding to the household. I will add that rule.

Offline jesslc

• Townie
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2021, 12:30:50 AM »
Thanks!

Just so I'm clear - no adding to the household means that we're also not allowed to move in with other sims, right?

Can we evict sims if we'd like to move into their house?
There's that pop up at the move screen where it will ask you if you want to evict household or merge with household if you select an occupied house. The general rules call for "fill empty homes" to be checked so there might not be many empty houses available otherwise.

Offline Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2021, 01:36:44 AM »
Looks great - thanks Challenge Team

If we're not to take anything on to the next house other than the stated items, we have to clear our Sim's personal inventory,  correct? No stash of dragonfruit...

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2021, 09:30:03 AM »
Thanks!

Just so I'm clear - no adding to the household means that we're also not allowed to move in with other sims, right?

Can we evict sims if we'd like to move into their house?
There's that pop up at the move screen where it will ask you if you want to evict household or merge with household if you select an occupied house. The general rules call for "fill empty homes" to be checked so there might not be many empty houses available otherwise.

Yes, moving in with other Sims adds them to the household, so that is not allowed.
Yes, you can evict Sims on the move menu - but you can't use Manage Households.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2021, 09:31:14 AM »
Looks great - thanks Challenge Team

If we're not to take anything on to the next house other than the stated items, we have to clear our Sim's personal inventory,  correct? No stash of dragonfruit...

Correct - you can only take the items listed - your tools to create what you need in the next house. But you have to create those things, find your collectibles, etc. after you move.

Offline Mionax

• Nooboo
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2021, 11:41:11 PM »
Does the spreadsheet do the math automatically? I don't know how to multiply by %.  :-[

p.s. This 1st 2022 challenge looks great!

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2021, 12:22:18 AM »
Does the spreadsheet do the math automatically? I don't know how to multiply by %.  :-[

p.s. This 1st 2022 challenge looks great!
Yes, it does.

Offline Mionax

• Nooboo
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2021, 02:17:52 AM »
1. Are we allowed to remove existing holidays and create ones of our own instead?

2. If a house party does not achieve silver rating, can my Sim invite those same 5 guests back to try again or must she find 5 others for that house's party?

3. If I forget to take a 'before' photo, do I fail the challenge?

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2021, 02:54:31 PM »
1. Are we allowed to remove existing holidays and create ones of our own instead?
No - the General Rules have been updated to say:"Holidays: No changes to holidays unless specific rulesets allow them." We will follow that rule for this challenge.

2. If a house party does not achieve silver rating, can my Sim invite those same 5 guests back to try again or must she find 5 others for that house's party?
No, each party must have unique guests that have not attended a party before

3. If I forget to take a 'before' photo, do I fail the challenge?
Try to make taking the Before photo the very first thing you do. But if you forget, you can take it later. Try to get a photo of some part that didn't change or that can be changed back to its initial state for the photo.

Offline jesslc

• Townie
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2021, 10:25:30 PM »
More questions...

Is it normal that the lot value doesn’t change while I'm in buy mode? It seems like it needs a quick switch to live mode & back to show the updated lot value after any purchases.

Is it okay to go over the target lot value range so long as you sell off enough to bring the lot value back into the target range before the "home open" and before you move out?

Eg. In testing I was trying to make some money & get the lot value closer to the top end of the target range, and my sim painted a masterpiece. When I went into buy mode to check, the lot value had jumped up to above the target range.

Do harvestables (from a wild plant) count for the unique collectible that is not a fish?

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2021, 07:28:36 AM »
More questions...

Is it normal that the lot value doesn’t change while I'm in buy mode? It seems like it needs a quick switch to live mode & back to show the updated lot value after any purchases.
Yes

Is it okay to go over the target lot value range so long as you sell off enough to bring the lot value back into the target range before the "home open" and before you move out?

Eg. In testing I was trying to make some money & get the lot value closer to the top end of the target range, and my sim painted a masterpiece. When I went into buy mode to check, the lot value had jumped up to above the target range.
As long as the house is in the target range when you sell it, it's fine.

Do harvestables (from a wild plant) count for the unique collectible that is not a fish?
Yes, anything that would be in a collection under the collections tab counts. It just has to be unique (something you have not left in any other house).

Offline jesslc

• Townie
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2021, 02:40:31 AM »
In practice I've managed to forgot to select 'sell furniture' one time. And on another occasion I forgot to sell off the reward for a silver medal party before moving and only realised when I went to get my handiness workbench out of my family inventory at the next lot and saw the reward there too.

Given this was just practice, I just sold anything I accidentally kept straight away then kept practicing, but what should we do if this happens in our real file? Do we fail the challenge or can we fix it?