Author Topic: College Degree Question  (Read 4022 times)

Offline owlsight

• Llama Wrangler
College Degree Question
« on: November 17, 2021, 05:02:45 PM »
I read that to be an astronaut you should get a physics degree. She got the physics degree. I went to get her a job and the only career path that gives the boost from her degree is the science career.  I really have my heart set on her being an astronaut. Does anyone know what type of degree she needs to be an astronaut?  Can I change her degree through cheats? 

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: College Degree Question
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 06:03:43 PM »
I read that to be an astronaut you should get a physics degree. She got the physics degree. I went to get her a job and the only career path that gives the boost from her degree is the science career.  I really have my heart set on her being an astronaut. Does anyone know what type of degree she needs to be an astronaut?  Can I change her degree through cheats? 
According to Carl's DU guide, a physics degree would start your sim at a higher level in the Astronaut's Space Ranger branch.
Could you check your sim's career options again to see if Space Ranger is available?

(The Interstellar Smuggler branch requires a Villainy degree.)

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline owlsight

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 06:42:37 PM »
I tried again.  She starts at a level 4 position for the astronaut career.  She has the reward trait that starts you off at a higher position than entry level when you start a new job/ 

When I try the science career path it says the degree is relevant, she will get higher pay, more vacation days ect.

I really wanted her to be an astronaut.  I did not find playing university any fun but I did it so she could be rewarded with a higher level position, higher pay, more vacation days etc. I hope I have not wasted the last for weeks of game play.

Offline owlsight

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 07:00:04 PM »
Edited to add that the astronaut career branches into the the space rangers or interstellar smugglers at level 7. 

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2021, 07:35:03 PM »
I've gone for the distinguished degree with honors, which starts a sim at Level 8 of a career.
Here's what I found for the other degrees.
*An ordinary degree without honors (below 3.9 GPA) will have your sim start on level 6.
*An ordinary degree with honors, or a distinguished degree without honors, will have them start on level 7.
*If you get a distinguished degree with honors, your sim can start on level 8.

Based on your statement that the Astronaut branches at Level 7, I guess you'd need at least an ordinary degree w/honors or a distinguished degree without honors).
Then your available career options should list Space Ranger.

Offline owlsight

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2021, 11:29:53 PM »
There is no option to become a space ranger.  She has a physics degree with honors.  But she does not get the benefits of having a degree.  It starts her at level 4 of the career. The only way I can see I get the benefits of having the physics degree with honors is to cheat her into that job directly. 

How do I cheat her into either level 7or 8 of the astronaut career? Please be specific because the only cheat I know how to do is the money one.  Can you cheat in vacation time and raises as well?

Is there another way to fix this problem?  Should I report this to Maxis? 

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2021, 12:01:42 AM »
Owlsight, which physics degree did your sim receive?
I'm assuming they got the regular degree without honors? That would explain why you don't see the Space Rangers option.
By the way, you asked me to be specific about cheats.
Have you looked at Carl's Guide on Discover University?  Look at this webpage here: https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/expansionpacks/discoveruniversity/cheats.php
Under the section "DEGREE CHEATS WITHOUT MODS," you'll find cheat codes to give your sim whichever degree you want.

I'll be back in a few minutes with screenshots for the regular degree with honors.
I opened the cheat console then used the cheat code below to give my test sim a Physics degree with honors.
Traits.Equip_Trait trait_University_PhysicsDegreeBAHonors

His cheated degree appears in his Simology panel as follows:
Simology panel.jpg

Next, when he uses his phone to "Find a job," Space Ranger appears in alphabetic order below Social Media.
Note the text in red explaining how his uni degree earns him higher pay, etc.
Space ranger.jpg

I hope this helps your sim get the career they want. Good luck.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline owlsight

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2021, 09:35:25 AM »
She has a physics degree with honors.  The red text with all the info does not show for the astronaut career. It only shows up for the science career.  Instead it starts her at level 4 of the career path.  If I understand you correctly she should be offered a career path starting at level 7. 

Also it does not work with the engineering career path either which requires a physics degree.  She starts at level 4 and there is not any of the red text.

Offline Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2021, 11:09:24 AM »
No, not the Astronaut career!  Scroll FARTHER DOWN, and find Space Ranger, listed separately.  When you earn a degree like that, it usually applies to one specific branch of a career, but not the other.  So, the branch that benefits from your degree will be a separate listing, and the list is alphabetical.  So Astronaut is right at the top, Space Ranger is way down the list.
Engineering also branches.  I'm not as familiar with it, but I think you're looking for Mechanical Engineer.  Which starts with an "M", not an "E", so it's also farther down the list.

Offline owlsight

• Llama Wrangler
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2021, 11:34:40 AM »
I found it.  Thank you so much for being so patient with me.  I do appreciate all the help. 

Offline Brian_Z

• Talks too much
  • Immortal
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2021, 11:58:45 AM »
You're welcome, glad you got it!
It is a bit confusing.  Scientist is pinned to the top of the list because it's one of the live careers, and it doesn't branch, so there isn't a different name to try to find.  Careers that benefit from a degree your sim has will also have a special little green icon added to them-- except for the Scientist career, apparently.  If you have Eco Living, you'll see you can also join Green Technician at level 7.

anything