Author Topic: The Sims 4 Big Dreams Dynasty  (Read 26172 times)

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
Re: The Sims 4 Big Dreams Dynasty
« Reply #60 on: December 29, 2021, 05:40:15 PM »
This challenge looks amazing, and thank you so much to the team for all their hard work on it!

So I just started my first attempt, with teen founders, and maybe have already goofed it up  ;D One of my founders' BDs requires maxing a specific teen career, and I'm pretty sure he's not going to make it before aging up. What are the rules if we fail one of the age requirements? Is he allowed to change to a different BD or is he out of competition?

You can switch to a different Big Dream as long as your sim also fulfills that new Big Dream's toddler & child requirements.
You must be playing on Normal lifespan?  Many of us are playing on Long lifespan.
With the early age-ups, the only drawback to Long is if you have to keep a sim (who didn't complete their Big Dream) in the household until death.
It's nice not having to stress if a certain requirement seems to be taking forever to finish.

P.S. If a child gets an A in grade school, they'll start any teen career at Level 2. You probably knew that already.  :)

Good luck & happy dreaming!

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
  • I'm not home alone.  My sims are all here.
« Reply #61 on: December 29, 2021, 08:44:18 PM »
Regarding selling swiped items in a retail store, can we restock the swiped items (and re-sell repeatedly) after selling them?

My reason for asking is that I think getting all the retail perks is too time-consuming without being able to do this and maybe not even possible unless you're playing on long.

Points needed to buy all the perks is 17,550
Points earned per sale = 15
points earned per interaction = 5
Assuming approx 4 interactions per sale, each swiped item gives 35 points
Therefore you need 501 swipes
Swiping is only possible every 4 hours so this would take approximately 12 weeks of constantly swiping every 4 hours, fitting selling and other life stuff inbetween.
Restocking the item gives you an additional 10 points per swipe. If you then go into buy mode and remove that restocked item (a real faff, I found) you would still need 390 swipes taking just over 9 weeks of constant swiping/selling
Restocking and not removing makes the task do-able and this is what I did with my Mischief Maker.

If my calculations are wrong or there is a faster way to get points do let me know. I did consider having the whole family in the shop doing interactions but that would have been fairly full-on and not in the spirit of the Big Dream. I did have them in on cleaning duties.

I realize I should have cleared this with the team before continuing and that I may have disqualified myself from the Hall of Fame for this particular attempt...

I apologize for the lateness of this response - I chatted with a couple of other team members, and I hate to say that we don't see a way for this to be HoF eligible. I'm really sorry about that - I know you put a lot of time into the store activities. I hope this doesn't deter you from continuing your play and your story.

I do think there are some ways to make this go faster - I believe the cooldown is based on the value of the item. I know some items only have a 2 hour cooldown, some have 4, and some have 8. Sims can start stealing items as a teen, so depending on how long they are a teen, they can build some things up.

A couple of things that maybe you didn't realize are that it doesn't say that every stolen item has to be stolen by the Mischief Maker. I don't know of a way to get a stolen item away from a non-family member, but it's easy with a family member. That doesn't mean you need a family of kleptos - if you have Get Together you can form a club with "Swipe Objects" as an activity - then anyone in the club during a gathering can swipe objects of any value without the kleptomaniac trait and even without mischief skill. They do still have the cooldown though.  The other thing is that while the Mischief Maker does have to actively work 25 hours total in the store, they don't have to be the only one who works in the store. If you hire help, they will not get perk points, but family members working in the store will. That could mean a lot more socials per hour.

So, this might be a good Big Dream to tackle when you have some Sims in the household that you don't want to move out just yet but that have finished their own Big Dreams or that otherwise have time to help out with the stealing/selling.

Just to be clear - we do want the Mischief Maker to do the majority of the work and to be focused on this like they would be on a job. It's just that they don't have to do every bit of it by themselves.

Please feel free to ask about anything that you aren't sure of or that you are finding really difficult to complete - we want this to be fun and not overly tedious or frustrating.

As a reminder, anyone not playing for HoF is free to adapt the rules and Big Dreams requirements and to use any mods you want to use.

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Online Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2021, 02:49:41 AM »
Thanks for the reply. With the holidays and it needing discussion, your reply was faster than I expected.
I should've kept my Puck in house until your response - then I could've still been HoF eligible by ignoring her dream and killing her off!. Ah well - lesson learnt!
Every blessing to the team for the New Year

Offline Cisi_Arashi

• Nooboo
« Reply #63 on: January 02, 2022, 03:51:25 PM »
Hi. I decided to come back to Sims 4 to be my goto when grinding boring tasks in FFXIV. (I am a big FFXIV nerd, my username is based on one of my characters, a Lalafell. ^_^) I am doing this challenge, but I can only do 14 Big Dreams because, unfortunately, I can only download one expansion pack due to my computer having huge issues with memory so I can't download all my packs and there are only 14 Big Dreams which don't require packs other than Get to Work.

One question: Can I have one of my founders do Alien Antics or does the alien have to be an abduction baby? If the latter, this will be meh, but as I said, I can't do 16 Big Dreams anyways due to my computer's memory limitations. (I could try to squeeze in one more pack but doing so might choke and kill my computer. :()

Offline oshizu

• Watcher
    • oshizu's asylum
« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2022, 03:59:55 PM »
Hi. I decided to come back to Sims 4 to be my goto when grinding boring tasks in FFXIV. (I am a big FFXIV nerd, my username is based on one of my characters, a Lalafell. ^_^) I am doing this challenge, but I can only do 14 Big Dreams because, unfortunately, I can only download one expansion pack due to my computer having huge issues with memory so I can't download all my packs and there are only 14 Big Dreams which don't require packs other than Get to Work.

One question: Can I have one of my founders do Alien Antics or does the alien have to be an abduction baby? If the latter, this will be meh, but as I said, I can't do 16 Big Dreams anyways due to my computer's memory limitations. (I could try to squeeze in one more pack but doing so might choke and kill my computer. :()
Yes, you can absolutely create one of your founders as an alien.
Your Alien Antics dreamer does not have to be a conceived-by-abduction baby.

Also, once you've completed the 14 Big Dreams available to you, you're allowed to start a second round of Big Dreams in any order you please.

For those of us with the Realm of Magic expansion, another alienboo strategy that doesn't require abduction:
Have your can-get-pregnant spellcaster go to a bar on Aliens' Night and get romantic with a male alien there.
(Or you can switch gender roles, but then the can-get-pregnant alien would need to live in the dynasty house.)
A spellcaster/alien combo have a 50/50 chance of producing either a spellcaster or an alien.

Offline Cisi_Arashi

• Nooboo
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2022, 04:43:33 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I know this isn't going to be for HoF, but I wanted to ensure that if you can create some life state in CAS, it's allowed for the founder. I tend to be a stickler for the details even if they don't apply to what I want to do with the challenge.

Also, I'd gladly sneak in another pack if I could get two more Big Dreams, but the only pack that qualifies is Parenthood and, while I did not hate using it for my prior project(a 7 Heroes UO Dynasty), I never got used to the whole child trait system because I avoided the pack for so long. The only other Big Dream which doesn't need more than one pack is Legendary Gamer for Get Together and that only raises it to 15. *sigh*

Why is Parenthood required for so many Big Dreams? I don't see why it's needed for Intrepid Adventurer as adventuring has nothing to do with parenting. But then again I don't make the rules so they see something I don't. *sigh*

Thanks for the help anyways.

Offline Trip

• Challenge Board Assistant
  • Global Moderator
  • Watcher
  • Three Chihuahuas in a Trenchcoat
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2022, 10:15:17 AM »
@Cisi_Arashi: the character traits from Parenthood make the childhood/teen goals a little more substantial + popular pack. And you can create your founder with any life state.
No respect, no chance, cease and desist when I chant-

Forum Rules / Outrun / Defunded

Registered members do not see ads on this Forum. Register here.

Offline Cisi_Arashi

• Nooboo
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2022, 01:59:17 PM »
@Cisi_Arashi: the character traits from Parenthood make the childhood/teen goals a little more substantial + popular pack. And you can create your founder with any life state.

you know what, you're right. I am going to read Carl's guide on Parenthood and install it and not get anal over the character traits. (To be honest, I manipulated the traits in my last play of it so it really shouldn't bother me.  ::) )

Online Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
Weener Roast for Outdoorsman
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2022, 11:33:38 AM »
Hi team

Regarding the teen task for the Outdoorsman of weiner roast without setting anyone on fire: my Sim didn't set anyone on fire but a discarded plate caught fire. The fire was extinguished but no-one was left singed. Is this a fail? Or has my Artemis passed that task?

Best regards
Judi

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2022, 05:13:50 PM »
Hi team

Regarding the teen task for the Outdoorsman of weiner roast without setting anyone on fire: my Sim didn't set anyone on fire but a discarded plate caught fire. The fire was extinguished but no-one was left singed. Is this a fail? Or has my Artemis passed that task?

Best regards
Judi

No that's not a fail! That rule is sort of a hat tip to the fact that attendees of weiner roasts often do get set on fire, so while having a weiner roast, not burning any Sim makes it a little more challenging. But no worry if things burn up.

And if a Sim does catch fire, it would mean you need to do another weiner roast where no one catches fire. It's ok if it takes more than 1 try.  ;)

Online Granny Lawlor

• Watcher
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2022, 06:13:07 PM »
Thanks @GlazeyLady  :D

Offline Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Tribble is as Tribble does
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2022, 10:21:26 PM »
Would you expect it be easier or harder trying to do this by only completing 16 (or close to 16) big dreams?

I stopped getting Sims 4 packs some time ago, but this one intrigues me enough to give it a go some time ... even if only to see how quickly my sims die.

I am intrigued enough by the pack with an Agnes Crumplebottom in it to get that pack, however.

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2022, 10:32:06 PM »
Would you expect it be easier or harder trying to do this by only completing 16 (or close to 16) big dreams?

I stopped getting Sims 4 packs some time ago, but this one intrigues me enough to give it a go some time ... even if only to see how quickly my sims die.

I am intrigued enough by the pack with an Agnes Crumplebottom in it to get that pack, however.

Yes, I do think it would be easier with just 16 or so Big Dreams. Given the way Sims at home can't always make a lot of progress while other Sims are away, and the way lots of Sims in the home requires more micro-management, having fewer Sims in each generation would be much easier.

You could even start with the 2 founders, then have 1 child, who would grow up and get married, adding the spouse to the household - and then repeat that each generation - so you'd actually only have 2 Big Dreams per generation, for a total of 16 over 8 generations. That would be much easier than having 3-5 kids each generation.  Also you can play this on long (most players are doing that) and age up Sims at any time after they've met the requirements for that age. This gives you a lot more control over how long you want to play, and whether you want your Sims to do more than what their Big Dream requires - like go on a honeymoon or take a vacation or get a degree they don't need or master a skill they don't need, etc. You don't have to do more than the Big Dream requirements, but playing on long you can make time for as much as you might want to do.

I hope you'll jump in and give it a go. Those of us already started are finding it to be a lot of fun because of all the diversity in the play.

Offline Deklitch

• Tribble of Reality
  • Watcher
  • Tribble is as Tribble does
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2022, 05:13:25 AM »
Thank you GlazeyLady ... I think I shall.

Are there any particular benefits to starting as teens vs young adults?

Can you have a teen as one founder and a young adult as the other founder?

Offline GlazeyLady

• Watcher
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2022, 09:57:01 AM »
Thank you GlazeyLady ... I think I shall.

Are there any particular benefits to starting as teens vs young adults?

Can you have a teen as one founder and a young adult as the other founder?
I started mine with Young Adults - playing on long, there is plenty of time to do things. But it does mean you can't do things that teens can do that give them later benefits, such as scouting and character traits.
@oshizu started hers as teens - so maybe she could share her thoughts about that.

Yes, one could start as a teen and one as a YA - they do need to be a couple though, and they won't be able to begin their romantic relationship until the teen ages up.

anything